• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
User banned (permanent): trolling

That image is Trayvon at 12yo, and while he obviously never should have been profiled, questioned, or trailed by Zimmerman, he was allegedly killed while bashing Zimmerman's head against the concrete, which was corroborated by the prosecution's own witnesses. That post is the kind of bad faith misinformation that makes us look as stupid as Fox News pundits.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Stop this line of thinking because its complete bullshit. These white men who commit heinous crimes go on to make lots of money in right wing circles and are heralded as champions among them. Thinking his life is "effectively over" just bc his social media profile will be a lil tarnished only feeds into the narrative that justice at the hand of the public is equivalent to the actual sentences that BIPOC face in the legal system. No offense but this is such a white way of looking at this outcome
It's true, hell look at someone like Tucker Carlson, a white supremacist with his own primetime cable talk show, insanely rich, they even put him on Dancing With The Stars. These types are revered in our country when they shouldn't even be able to walk down the street without looking behind them every ten seconds.
That image is Trayvon at 12yo, and while he obviously never should have been profiled, questioned, or trailed by Zimmerman, he was allegedly killed while bashing Zimmerman's head against the concrete, which was corroborated by the prosecution's own witnesses. That post is the kind of bad faith misinformation that makes us look as stupid as Fox News pundits.
When one side are Nazis and the other side is against Nazis, nah sorry there isn't a comparison there

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Also fair. To be clear, I wasn't trying to make much of a contribution, just posted a link to the judge's Wikipedia page and wondered about his political affiliation.

Edit: I've edited my original post to avoid further misinformation. Apologies if it was inappropriate.

Nah, I don't think that was necessary, like I said, want to be clear I don't think your post was a big deal at all. But that is an issue with the internet and social media in general, people chiming in without knowing what they're talking about. I believe you said "the judge was a democrat," that sounds more like stating than wondering.

But anyway, don't meant to be a dick by calling you out, just a pet peeve.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So it would have been fine to gun down the protesters and looters during the Capital attack in January?
A legal decision in Wisconsin has less than zero impact or relation to a case in DC. You may as well ask about doing that in Canada and you'd get the same answer.

HolyFloyd

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Kyle was playing Vigilante - Yes
He was way over his head - Yes
He was a shitty person - Yes, No Doubt
He would have been found guilty if he was POC - most likely yes
Was he acting in self-defense in those split second moments - Yes , Jury says yes

Also gun laws need to be changed.

People still believe he crossed state lines with guns when they can watch all the trial all over youtube.

LiquidSword

Oct 25, 2017
If a guy was stalking me and tried to stop me with a gun, I'd try and bash his head in too. Zimmerman should be rotting in a jail cell.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Trolling, previous severe bans for stereotyping and bigotry
yea "killed carrying a bag of skittles" is an oversimplification to be sure

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Stop this line of thinking because its complete bullshit. These white men who commit heinous crimes go on to make lots of money in right wing circles and are heralded as champions among them. Thinking his life is "effectively over" just bc his social media profile will be a lil tarnished only feeds into the narrative that justice at the hand of the public is equivalent to the actual sentences that BIPOC face in the legal system. No offense but this is such a white way of looking at this outcome

It's true, hell look at someone like Tucker Carlson, a white supremacist with his own primetime cable talk show, insanely rich, they even put him on Dancing With The Stars. These types are revered in our country when they shouldn't even be able to walk down the street without looking behind them every ten seconds.
I'm telling you, a lot of sane people are going to get fed up with bullshit like this & start retaliating with mass riots among other shit, & rightly so. There won't be anymore peaceful protesting or anything similar anymore.

Look at what had happened with George Floyd & what had happened in Minneapolis last year. That's how the BLM movement had started, because we as black people are fed up with racist cops killing us off ouf of racism while getting a slap on the wrist. That's just the start.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Pitiful. Awfully pitiful. I wouldn't exactly be smiling or getting excited if I were him. He will be the next OJ Simpson & George Zimmerman in infamy. He won't be getting an easy life or a moment's rest like everyone thinks that he will.
  • He will most likely be haunted everywhere that he goes & will most likely have to go into hiding to avoid being assaulted, or worse.
  • No sane employer will hire him, given that he's now searchable on Google.
  • No sane individual will want to be associated with him or will want to be his friend.
  • No sane girl or woman will ever date him, especially given the video that he had beaten up a girl.
  • And not to mention that he will be fighting in civil courts in which he'll most likely be sued for now.
His reputation is tarnished & he'll will be infamous forever. He will have a very harsh life ahead of him.

And also, if anyone in here dares tries to defend that white supremacist SOB or make excuses for him in any sort of way, consider yourselves being on my ignore list. I dare you to.

There have been too many ignorant, right-wing nutjobs already doing that & calling him a "hero" when he's really not.
did you see him before the trial started? he was going to parties and being treated as a celebrity

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
Pitiful. Awfully pitiful. I wouldn't exactly be smiling or getting excited if I were him. He will be the next OJ Simpson & George Zimmerman in infamy. He won't be getting an easy life or a moment's rest like everyone thinks that he will.
  • He will most likely be haunted everywhere that he goes & will most likely have to go into hiding to avoid being assaulted, or worse.
  • No sane individual will want to be associated with him or will want to be his friend.
  • No sane girl or woman will ever date him, especially given the video that he had beaten up a girl.
  • And not to mention that he will be fighting in civil courts in which he'll most likely be sued for now.
His reputation is tarnished & he'll will be infamous forever. He will have a very harsh life ahead of him.

And also, if anyone in here dares tries to defend that white supremacist SOB or make excuses for him in any sort of way, consider yourselves being on my ignore list. I dare you to.

There have been too many ignorant, right-wing nutjobs already doing that & calling him a "hero" when he's really not.
I wish this was the case.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Think I'm cutting myself off from the internet for a bit today. I need to fucking cool down and if I see one more post like that one from that fucking waste of spunk Ann Coulter, I'm going to lose my fucking mind.

Be good to yourselves, y'all.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been following the trial much, was this the case? I was under the impression it was decided this wasn't a case. Am I mistaken? Was it some sort of loophole?
he had possession in wisconsin where the age is 18 or older Iirc. Judge dismissed this misdemeanor cause of a short barrel provision.

This section applies only to a person under 18 years of age who possesses or is armed with a rifle or a shotgun if the person is in violation of s. 941.28 or is not in compliance with ss. 29.304 and 29.593. This section applies only to an adult who transfers a firearm to a person under 18 years of age if the person under 18 years of age is not in compliance with ss. 29.304 and 29.593 or to an adult who is in violation of s. 941.28.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
I haven't been following the trial much, was this the case? I was under the impression it was decided this wasn't a case. Am I mistaken? Was it some sort of loophole?

It was acquired illegally. The friend who bought it for him has been charged. The statute only punishes those in Wisconsin for having a rifle under 18 if it's short barreled which is stupid.

zuf

Oct 25, 2017

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
Mainstream media is diet white supremacy and white supremacy with extra caffeine

In all honestly, given that the POS has been acquitted, what Hayes is saying is unfortunately almost the 'best' thing you can hope for in the current situation, outside of the authorities finding a way to bring him up on other serious charges with a better jury and less obviously bias judge, which is obviously the ideal path.

And before someone even goes there, don't dare mistake this for me saying "Oh well, we should get over it and hope he'll do better". The point I'm making is that if the worst case of him getting off completely with no repercussions comes to pass, the very least he could do is not turn into another waste of human garbage like Zimmerman... though given the shit he's pulled pre-trial and conservative figures already putting him on a pedestal for being a murderer, he's already well and set on that path.

RetroJeff83

Banned
Nov 6, 2021
NH, USA

I believe you are correct

The gun was legally purchased in the state of Wisconsin and never crossed state lines

Its also legal for those under 18 to carry a rifle when the barrel is a certain length and this gun met those requirements

I dont believe it was illegal for him to be on the streets with the AR-15

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018

The gun was legally purchased in the state of Wisconsin and never crossed state lines

Its also legal for those under 18 to carry a rifle when the barrel is a certain length and this gun met those requirements

The gun was not legally purchased. His friend has been charged with making a straw purchase.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017

He illegally obtained the gun from a friend.

Keep putting in that work though.

Oct 26, 2017
Kyle was playing Vigilante - Yes
He was way over his head - Yes
He was a shitty person - Yes, No Doubt
He would have been found guilty if he was POC - most likely yes
Was he acting in self-defense in those split second moments - Yes , Jury says yes

Also gun laws need to be changed.

People still believe he crossed state lines with guns when they can watch all the trial all over youtube.
Why did he run anywhere but the local police station after the first killing?

Gaius Cassius

Oct 28, 2017
Oregon
So you can drive across state lines, bring a gun, play vigilante cop, escalate situation by threatening others with said gun and then become scared by the outcome of your own actions and shoot people and claim it is self defense because nothing leading up to the moment of "i got scared" matters.

Cool. Cool.

Pretty much. It gives the perfect defense for 'counter protesters' to show up and put a hole in black and brown people.

I can totally see him going straight back to hanging with the proud boys and going to protests

JAT

Oct 27, 2017
he had possession in wisconsin where the age is 18 or older Iirc. Judge dismissed this misdemeanor cause of a short barrel provision.

This section applies only to a person under 18 years of age who possesses or is armed with a rifle or a shotgun if the person is in violation of s. 941.28 or is not in compliance with ss. 29.304 and 29.593. This section applies only to an adult who transfers a firearm to a person under 18 years of age if the person under 18 years of age is not in compliance with ss. 29.304 and 29.593 or to an adult who is in violation of s. 941.28.

It was acquired illegally. The friend who bought it for him has been charged. The statute only punishes those in Wisconsin for having a rifle under 18 if it's short barreled which is stupid.

Yuck. Thanks for the clarification.

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden

Nah, he is seen as a hero in far right circles, he will probably end up on fox news as the new sean hannity or he might end up as a senator or some shit, that is just the kind of stupid i expect from america at this point.

Oct 25, 2017
no it won't. That's not how "precedent" works. Besides in a lot of states these laws are already benefitting situations like this. Different states have different laws. A situation like this isn't going to be used in another state especially since this was settled in the lowest court.
IANAL, but this isn't quite how precedent works. Precedent is judicial decisions on the law whereas jury trials are decisions on the facts.

That said, of course people will see a jury decision and assume things based on that, kind of how like some people assumed you could sue for hot coffee injuries after the Liebeck v McDonald's decision.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
In all honestly, given that the POS has been acquitted, what Hayes is saying is unfortunately almost the 'best' thing you can hope for in the current situation, outside of the authorities finding a way to bring him up on other serious charges with a better jury and less obviously bias judge, which is obviously the ideal path.

And before someone even goes there, don't dare mistake this for me saying "Oh well, we should get over it and hope he'll do better". The point I'm making is that if the worst case of him getting off completely with no repercussions comes to pass, the very least he could do is not turn into another waste of human garbage like Zimmerman... though given the shit he's pulled pre-trial and conservative figures already putting him on a pedestal for being a murderer, he's already well and set on that path.

No

Hayes not saying anything if this is all he had to say was the best I could hope for.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
You're kidding, right? He is now an instant right-wing celebrity and 2A Defender. He will get speaking gigs and will never have to work again.

Wrong. He is going to be a right wing darling. He is already getting offers as a congressional aide.

What country are you in? Dude is already getting offers from senators to work for them and he's going to do a press tour. He's set for life.

America has plenty of empathizers and people who are happy with this outcome. He already has Gaetz offering him an internship. This kid is going to be set for life.

Did you see him before the trial started? He was going to parties and being treated as a celebrity.

Nah, he is seen as a hero in far right circles, he will probably end up on fox news as the new sean hannity or he might end up as a senator or some shit, that is just the kind of stupid i expect from america at this point.
Try telling George Zimmerman that. This kid will end up just like him. Give it time.

Deleted member 12009

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was on a jury a few years ago in an assault with a deadly weapon/attempted murder case. We had the weapon, the victim testified, and VIDEO EVIDENCE of the entire event, and we still got a mistrial because several people, rightfully, considered the video tape to not support an assault case. There was 'reasonable doubt' that the defendant, who was wielding the knife, was acting in self defense despite my personal belief he was planning on murdering the individual. Several other jurors were also upset at the jury makeup (mostly white men, the defendant and the victim didn't speak english) and that it was brought to trial at all. In the end, I agreed with them. Even if a wrongful deed was done, after looking at all the evidence and listening to these two men speak through interpreters, I came to the conclusion that this was a waste of time and had the prosecution had any foresight, they'd have let the defense walk.

I bring this up because this was how I expected the Rittenhouse case to go. If there is ANY reasonable doubt, the defendant is going to go free- and probably should. Fuck the system, absolutely, but it is designed to create these exact outcomes out of benevolence. If there's anyone to be angry at, it's the Prosecution. They poorly argued their case and further proved that the case should not have been brought to trial if it was going to be this difficult to prove. Obviously, that wasn't an option- people deserve justice and to know the truth. It's just awful that, yet again, the unreasonable weapon wielder gets to walk away because we can't possibly prove their internal logic- but perhaps the judicial system needs to work this way. Or, at least in theory, it SHOULD work this way. Because we all know how the pendulum swings when it's not a white man in the defendant's seat.

I would have convicted that Hispanic man of attempted murder, and I was wrong. I would like to say I'd have done the same for Rittenhouse, but after that trial I don't know anymore. After considering the prosecution's arguments, I just don't know how we could have hoped for the jury to walk out of there with confidence that they made the right call- no matter what they chose.

Gaius Cassius

Oct 28, 2017
Oregon

Rittenhouse used a straw buyer to buy the assault rifle for him. He gave that guy cash with the intent of that guy lying during the sale saying the gun was for himself. In such cases the straw buyer gets charged of caught, which happened here. They just didn't do anything to Rittenhouse for whatever reason.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
Not a chance he turns into another Zimmerman tbh, US society is in a much different space now.

Kid is going to be heralded a hero (already is tbh) while being flown all over the country giving talks, book/movie deals, probably run for office at one stage etc he isn't ever going to be in the front of a protest ever again.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
No sane individual will want to be associated with him or will want to be his friend.
No sane girl or woman will ever date him, especially given the video that he had beaten up a girl.
this feels very no true scotsman

many "normal" people will be on his side after all this, this aint like OJ at all

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why did he run anywhere but the local police station after the first killing?

i mean he was???

He was running to the police down that road. The third guy he shot literally videotaped talking to him while he was running and he said he was running to go to the police before the second shootings. He got fell and got attacked when running to them.

I wonder what percentage of people in this thread actually watched any of the videos

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
IANAL, but this isn't quite how precedent works. Precedent is judicial decisions on the law whereas jury trials are decisions on the facts.

That said, of course people will see a jury decision and assume things based on that, kind of how like some people assumed you could sue for hot coffee injuries after the Liebeck v McDonald's decision.
no, you're right. jury's aren't usually binding in legal precedent in the way we're discussing. This is a case heavily determined by the facts.

Oct 29, 2017
Try telling George Zimmerman that. This kid will end up just like him. Give it time.

I just don't believe that in this day and age. The political climate is much more volatile now, and right wing media (and fucking congressmen) are already hailing him a hero. There's more on the line for them with Rittenhouse than there was with Zimmerman.

This kid is going to have a book deal tomorrow.