KingT

Oct 30, 2017
For god sake the kid rang the bell is it so hard to tell him you hot the wrong address?

Erpy

May 31, 2018
For god sake the kid rang the bell is it so hard to tell him you hot the wrong address?

This is what you get when you feed a populance a daily dose of paranoia and anger for an extended amount of time so they stay properly riled up and buy your guns. Every gun commercial and argument ever is always talking about home invasions and how "they" are coming for you and your family and your gun is the only thing that can protect you. So of course ringing the doorbell triggers a Pavlovian response.

Oct 31, 2017
I'm so glad the kid's gonna make it. I work with so many young musicians yearly, and this kid looked to be one of the dedicated, talented students who I'm always so impressed with, the opposite of any threat.

Culex

Oct 29, 2017
If you are reading this thread and think "that doorbell ring definitely made him justified in shooting", there is something wrong. I fear for Amazon delivery drivers delivering packages to your house in the evening.

Not to take away from the horror of this event, but man, this country is just overflowing with armed paranoid weirdos who think people existing on or near their property means they have a license to kill.

View: https://twitter.com/shannonrwatts/status/1648098595923693568?s=20

The fuck is in water there? Like I live in Louisiana, a subdivision no less! & I have never heard of such insanity! Like what happen to helping your neighbor? Or not answering the door if you don't know the person?

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Sep 8, 2020
Am I wrong for being concerned over the future of this young man? When people die from gun violence, a narrative is trotted out about "healing" and thoughts and prayers. When people survive gun violence and can speak out against it, the nuts come out of the woodwork.

Die from gun violence = thoughts and prayers
Surviving gun violence = enemy of 2A

Sorry to be so jaded.

qaopjlll

Oct 27, 2017
Has there been any update on getting this asshole into custody? Are they even looking for him?

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Not to take away from the horror of this event, but man, this country is just overflowing with armed paranoid weirdos who think people existing on or near their property means they have a license to kill.

View: https://twitter.com/shannonrwatts/status/1648098595923693568?s=20

What's worse is there's a gofundme to raise funds for funeral expenses and shit. This country is just people getting killed for doing nothing and their families having to crowdfund the costs of burying them. Absolutely fucking wretched country.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Obviously I'm worried about about his physical and mental recovery.

But on top of that, I'm worried about all the conservative, conspiracy nut jobs Who will be out to make him the villain

Sep 8, 2020
Obviously I'm worried about about his physical and mental recovery.

But on top of that, I'm worried about all the conservative, conspiracy nut jobs Who will be out to make him the villain
Exactly where I'm at. If he were killed, the narrative could more easily be controlled. This young man would have been robbed of his voice. Surviving gun violence causes unrestrained anger from the same assholes that would piss on you with thoughts and prayers had he died.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Black youth gets shot, perp gets let go by the cops.

White woman gets shot, perp is immediately put in jail and pressed with charges.
Cops didn't let him go willingly. They were trying to have him arrested but the DA's office told them to release him. And then the story hit the media and the DA suddenly gave a shit. For reasons.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
If you own a Ring device or video doorbell, there's a Neighbors app included within the Ring app where you can post things to alert people in your area about things like missing pets, road closures, medical emergencies, etc.

But most of the events that people record have to do with either Amazon packages getting stolen or someone knocking on their door/trying to open the door/ringing their doorbell, and quickly walking away. I wished I could say I was shocked at the number of people who post comments about shooting people who do this. A simple mistake shouldn't have to cost someone their life, but we live in a culture full of wannabe, paranoid cowboys who want to fulfill their fantasy of blasting away at someone who comes near their property. It's disgusting, sad, and I wished there were a way to destroy gun culture in this country.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
While the racial component can't be ignored, Missouri seems like an absolute dumpster fire of a state right now.

Yeah, and what's worse - Kansas City and St. Louis (which Ferguson is part of) are the progressive parts of the state, relatively speaking! This is the kind of shit that is happening in the metro areas that the rest of the state hates. Everything in between the two is deep rural, Ozarkian, hillbilly, Fox News brainwashed hellscape.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
The fuck is in water there? Like I live in Louisiana, a subdivision no less! & I have never heard of such insanity! Like what happen to helping your neighbor? Or not answering the door if you don't know the person?
Fox News screams "BE SCARED" at these people 24/7. This is the end result. I'm sure the shooter saw a black kid at the door and went "Ahh, it's BLM, they've finally come for me!"

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
I once had a dog released on me when somebody didn't know that their daughter was getting doordash. In the guy had the nerve to tell me to try and pick up the food although I let the dog have it and the daughter literally hit the back of his head being very angry. Oh but she had no idea how angry I was once I reported it to their safety team... Whoo after two months? Let others Deliver to that location and someone I knew got bit!

Another time I had a guy tapped on his holstered gun who thought I was a door to door salesman, when I was trying to deliver donuts. His daughter was getting them to him as a surprise and I told her that he will not be getting donuts and I'm making a statement to police to, which she told me not to cuz he's very old. No. He had his life. I almost didn't.. again, support? A ban for the daughter! Not that address... Hmmm

Yes they BOTH had a lack of skin pigmentation, but don't worry, the police told the last guy not to ever do it again. **Pinky promise!*** (I said the donuts were misplaced, least they steal them for themselves)

These both were during the day, incident with the person I knew was evening. Dog was shot because pigs were ACTUALLY afraid for once...

The point? People of privilege with "property"? They feel they are the hero.

I gave to the GoFundMe. Not much for today, due to taxes. But I'll do my best later if I can
Oh wow. You've had a couple of near misses. Stay safe out there. Some people just want to use any excuse to murder someone.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
have we got to the point where republicans/conservatives try to claim the victim was no angel? or does that wait for the trail of this asshole?

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
i feel like some of yall need to get on nextdoor to see how fucking crazy some of your neighbors are.

i swear more than half the email notifications i get are "suspicious person" "suspicious car" "my car was broken into, what kind of world do we live in"

some of these people i swear to god are literally afraid of life.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
have we got to the point where republicans/conservatives try to claim the victim was no angel? or does that wait for the trail of this asshole?

I'm surprised we haven't seen it yet. But mostly because the kid probably had a clean record. I bet they're going to pull up his detention file for like, not doing homework or something, if they can find it.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
If you own a Ring device or video doorbell, there's a Neighbors app included within the Ring app where you can post things to alert people in your area about things like missing pets, road closures, medical emergencies, etc.

But most of the events that people record have to do with either Amazon packages getting stolen or someone knocking on their door/trying to open the door/ringing their doorbell, and quickly walking away. I wished I could say I was shocked at the number of people who post comments about shooting people who do this. A simple mistake shouldn't have to cost someone their life, but we live in a culture full of wannabe, paranoid cowboys who want to fulfill their fantasy of blasting away at someone who comes near their property. It's disgusting, sad, and I wished there were a way to destroy gun culture in this country.
*sigh* guess its time for my monthly you should not be using Ring post...

www.theguardian.com

Amazon’s Ring is the largest civilian surveillance network the US has ever seen | Lauren Bridges

One in 10 US police departments can now access videos from millions of privately owned home security cameras without a warrant
www.nbcnews.com

Opinion | The dark side of America's doorbell camera obsession

Why plastering cheap, internet-connected surveillance cameras on everything we own isn't fun or funny — and makes everyone less safe.
protonvpn.com

Amazon Ring is reinventing the surveillance state - Proton VPN Blog

Amazon Ring has entered into secretive agreements with police departments across the US to let them access video feeds without a warrant.
www.cnet.com

Amazon's helping police build a surveillance network with Ring doorbells

Its popular Ring smart doorbells mean more cameras on more doorsteps, where surveillance footage used to be rare.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
i feel like some of yall need to get on nextdoor to see how fucking crazy some of your neighbors are.

i swear more than half the email notifications i get are "suspicious person" "suspicious car" "my car was broken into, what kind of world do we live in"

It was telling for me how bad this shit is when I hooked up a ring doorbell, and the default notification settings had me getting stuff from all across the city and beyond. I can only imagine how paranoid people are between that and nextdoor.

Oct 25, 2017
Kansas City man charged in Ralph Yarl shooting surrenders, booked into Clay County jail
The 84-year-old man charged with two felonies in the shooting of 16-year-old Ralph Yarl surrendered Tuesday afternoon and was booked into Clay County jail, a sheriff's spokeswoman said.
A warrant was issued for Lester's arrest when the charges were filed and he remained at-large. He surrendered at the Clay County jail and was being booked, said Sarah Boyd, a spokeswoman for the Clay County Sheriff's Office.
Asshole looks excatly how you would expect.
Lester_fitted.jpeg

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Fox News screams "BE SCARED" at these people 24/7. This is the end result. I'm sure the shooter saw a black kid at the door and went "Ahh, it's BLM, they've finally come for me!"
Yeah, I think this is happening way more than Fox News would care to admit. There should be some kind of accountability for this kind of fear-mongering.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC

Sounds like im probably better off not knowing how insane everyone else is.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017

I don't use nextdoor myself but lordy I've heard some stories from family who did try it out. The Family Guy skit kinda left out the part about finding out how many of your seemingly okay neighbors are massive racists the moment any black person drives by. Easy guns and multiple bubbles of hate are a recipe for more tragedies.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York

Yea, I noticed that. Like, a ridiculous amount of it.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado

Yeah, one of my favorites was someone pointing out a "suspicious" van that would pick up kids from a school bus stop every day, and it was suspicious because it was a white van without any markings. Turns out it was a home for special needs kids that would pick up kids from the bus stop, and it didn't have any markings because they didn't want to embarrass the kids getting into the van. Our society has completely destroyed the idea of a community and we are just taught to be fearful of everyone else.