bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
You still have to wonder why it took the police 3 days to make the referral to the DA. All the evidence except for the boy being available for interview was already there. It's not like they had to do more work at the scene with the news crews already filming the house being cleaned up.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
"I can tell you there was a racial component to this case," Thompson said at a news conference without elaborating

Yeah, my impression there is that he believes there is a racial component and will use it in his case (because duh there obviously is), but he could really only comment on the probable cause statement for now, which indicates in the text that no words were exchanged at all between the shooter and victim.

You just let a guy who shot a kid in the face leave the state? That's some next level privilege.

Yeah, it's great that he's been charged with the highest possible felony under state law, but they waited for days to issue the charges, seemingly giving him the opportunity to flee the city. (If that's true)

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Happy to see the kid is already discharged and recovering.

Fuck the dude and hope he spends the rest of his days rotting in prison.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Not to take away from the horror of this event, but man, this country is just overflowing with armed paranoid weirdos who think people existing on or near their property means they have a license to kill.

View: https://twitter.com/shannonrwatts/status/1648098595923693568?s=20

Honestly surprised it doesn't happen even more frequently tbh

You have a huge chunk of the population, confidently ignorant, loading up on guns, racist fear mongering propaganda online and tv, enabling politicians, and a culture of guns as the answer and laws that essentially protect against accountability

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
people are saying he left town to his vacation property in Arizona after being released by the police and hasn't been home at all during these protests.

Post above said he was allowed to go to a vacation home in AZ.

I'm sure it's possible but I'm not seeing this anywhere. Does anyone have a source that Lester has left the state?

Just want to make sure we're not spreading misinformation from random people on Twitter.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Sounds like the woman who called 911 only initially stayed inside due to 911 instructing her to remain indoors until the shooter was located.

A neighbor, who asked not to be identified, tells CNN she called 911 after the teen came to her door, bleeding. She was directed to stay inside her home by the emergency operator, for her safety as the shooter's location was unknown.

"I wanted to help him, but they kept saying that we don't know where the shooter is at," the woman said.

She complied initially, then went outside with towels to help suppress the bleeding.

"I kneeled down next to him, and I said what's your name… Who shot you?"

She said Ralph explained he "was supposed to pick up my brothers."

"We figured out then he went to the wrong street, which is no excuse for what happened," she said. "This is somebody's child. I had to clean blood off of my door, off of my railing. That was someone's child's blood. I'm a mom… this is not OK."

While awaiting the ambulance, bleeding from injuries to the left side of his head and his right arm, the neighbor said Ralph told her he runs on the high school track team and plays the bass clarinet in band.

"He was very alert," she said. "He is a very strong man. Very brave."

Attorneys for the wounded youth's family issued a statement demanding "swift action from Clay County prosecutors and law enforcement to identify, arrest and prosecute to the full extent of the law the man responsible for this horrendous and unjustifiable shooting."

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Lol and here I thought he was released because he lawyered up immediately. Turns out nope, they just let him go.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Also I think the kid is lucky the weapon was a .32. If he had been shot with a long gun or shotgun at close range in the forehead he's almost certainly dead.

TheKeipatzy

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
California for now
Poor kid. I'm so glad he's going to pull through.

This country is sick.
I once had a dog released on me when somebody didn't know that their daughter was getting doordash. In the guy had the nerve to tell me to try and pick up the food although I let the dog have it and the daughter literally hit the back of his head being very angry. Oh but she had no idea how angry I was once I reported it to their safety team... Whoo after two months? Let others Deliver to that location and someone I knew got bit!

Another time I had a guy tapped on his holstered gun who thought I was a door to door salesman, when I was trying to deliver donuts. His daughter was getting them to him as a surprise and I told her that he will not be getting donuts and I'm making a statement to police to, which she told me not to cuz he's very old. No. He had his life. I almost didn't.. again, support? A ban for the daughter! Not that address... Hmmm

Yes they BOTH had a lack of skin pigmentation, but don't worry, the police told the last guy not to ever do it again. **Pinky promise!*** (I said the donuts were misplaced, least they steal them for themselves)

These both were during the day, incident with the person I knew was evening. Dog was shot because pigs were ACTUALLY afraid for once...

The point? People of privilege with "property"? They feel they are the hero.

I gave to the GoFundMe. Not much for today, due to taxes. But I'll do my best later if I can

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Not to take away from the horror of this event, but man, this country is just overflowing with armed paranoid weirdos who think people existing on or near their property means they have a license to kill.

The exact same thing happened about two years ago

www.nbcnews.com

Texas man who fatally shot Moroccan man in unfamiliar car in driveway charged with murder

Terry Duane Turner, 65, was arrested Friday and charged with murdering Adil Dghoughi.

How extra fucked up is it that this isn't some freak occurrence but something that's been happening several times. People just getting shot for approaching the wrong house

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
The exact same thing happened about two years ago

www.nbcnews.com

Texas man who fatally shot Moroccan man in unfamiliar car in driveway charged with murder

Terry Duane Turner, 65, was arrested Friday and charged with murdering Adil Dghoughi.

How extra fucked up is it that this isn't some freak occurrence but something that's been happening several times. People just getting shot for approaching the wrong house

It's not new either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_of_Yoshihiro_Hattori

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure it's possible but I'm not seeing this anywhere. Does anyone have a source that Lester has left the state?

Just want to make sure we're not spreading misinformation from random people on Twitter.

To be clear, no - I'm the only one who has said it in the thread, and no, there's no official source saying that yet. It's just word around the campfire here in KC, but it's the same campfire that knew the guy's name two days ago. I can't promise the "skipped town" part is true, but I've got a pretty strong feeling it is. Because:

1. He'd be in custody right now if he was in town
2. He definitely hasn't been to his house during the last couple nights of protests
3. The Clay County prosecutor during this afternoon's press conference said they don't currently know his whereabouts, then when directly asked about the rumors that Lester had left the state, hesitated for a sec then responded that "all involved police forces are working in cooperation".
4. At the protests on his street, everyone is saying there were neighbors telling people he left with family for his cabin in AZ (outside Phoenix) right after he was released from his "cursory interview".

Like I said earlier, take it with a grain of salt - but if it turns out NOT to be true at this point I'm going to be surprised, and so is the rest of the city. It's not being officially reported yet, but I think it's going to turn out to be true.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I once had a dog released on me when somebody didn't know that their daughter was getting doordash. In the guy had the nerve to tell me to try and pick up the food although I let the dog have it and the daughter literally hit the back of his head being very angry. Oh but she had no idea how angry I was once I reported it to their safety team... Whoo after two months? Let others Deliver to that location and someone I knew got bit!

Another time I had a guy tapped on his holstered gun who thought I was a door to door salesman, when I was trying to deliver donuts. His daughter was getting them to him as a surprise and I told her that he will not be getting donuts and I'm making a statement to police to, which she told me not to cuz he's very old. No. He had his life. I almost didn't.. again, support? A ban for the daughter! Not that address... Hmmm

Yes they BOTH had a lack of skin pigmentation, but don't worry, the police told the last guy not to ever do it again. **Pinky promise!*** (I said the donuts were misplaced, least they steal them for themselves)

These both were during the day, incident with the person I knew was evening. Dog was shot because pigs were ACTUALLY afraid for once...

The point? People of privilege with "property"? They feel they are the hero.

I gave to the GoFundMe. Not much for today, due to taxes. But I'll do my best later if I can
Jesus Christ... sorry you had to deal with this shit.

It did occur to me that the whole "shooting people who ring the doorbell" thing could lead to tragedies towards delivery people, and it's just so fucking insane and mind-boggling.

I remember the first time I read this story and I was so enraged. That poor kid. And he got no fucking justice because the jury acquitted them

The trial lasted seven days. The jury returned a not guilty verdict after deliberating for approximately three hours.[a] Courtroom spectators applauded when the verdict was announced.[9]

Just fucking unbelievable. What a sick country.

These cases are great examples of how guns just make things worse.

People being nervous about unfamiliar people showing up at the doorstep late at night isn't exactly an uncommon occurrence anywhere, whether due to general fear of strangers or the enhancements of racism and/or media hype about home invasions, etc. Not having a gun in those situations saves people from feeling emboldened to do idiotic crap like this to "defend" themselves.

Most 2nd Amendment fetishists are never going to care about Ralph (for, uh, reasons), but self-preservation alone should be telling them that owning guns just makes scenarios like this more likely.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
To be clear, no - I'm the only one who has said it in the thread, and no, there's no official source saying that yet. It's just word around the campfire here in KC, but it's the same campfire that knew the guy's name two days ago. I can't promise the "skipped town" part is true, but I've got a pretty strong feeling it is. Because:

1. He'd be in custody right now if he was in town
2. He definitely hasn't been to his house during the last couple nights of protests
3. The Clay County prosecutor during this afternoon's press conference said they don't currently know his whereabouts, then when directly asked about the rumors that Lester had left the state, hesitated for a sec then responded that "all involved police forces are working in cooperation".
4. At the protests on his street, everyone is saying there were neighbors telling people he left with family for his cabin in AZ (outside Phoenix) right after he was released from his "cursory interview".

Like I said earlier, take it with a grain of salt - but if it turns out NOT to be true at this point I'm going to be surprised, and so is the rest of the city. It's not being officially reported yet, but I think it's going to turn out to be true.

Well, if it turns out they aren't able to find him because they decided to let him go, that'll certainly put a new spin on the already horrible story.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Well, if it turns out they aren't able to find him because they decided to let him go, that'll certainly put a new spin on the already horrible story.

My spin would be that they were complicit in his escape. The absolute BS claim that they needed a statement from the victim in order to make an arrest was just a transparent effort to buy this man time. They had ample reasonable suspicion than an felonious assault had occurred, including the man's own testimony.

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022

They'll find him. He's an 84 year old man, not a millionaire criminal with multiple fake IDs on hand and foreign bank accounts with additional funds.

Jan 9, 2018
User Banned (1 Week)/Permanent Threadban: Cross thread drama, trolling in a sensitive thread
www.resetera.com

If A Thief Breaks Into Your Home, Is It Wrong To Shoot Them?

Had an interesting conversation with some coworkers earlier regarding a news story that happened in Georgia (US) recently: Source: https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/homeowner-kills-intruder-peachcrest-road-dekalb-county TLDR: Thief attempts to break into someone's home, and the homeowner...

Deleted member 13330

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 14, 2023
www.resetera.com

If A Thief Breaks Into Your Home, Is It Wrong To Shoot Them?

Had an interesting conversation with some coworkers earlier regarding a news story that happened in Georgia (US) recently: Source: https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/homeowner-kills-intruder-peachcrest-road-dekalb-county TLDR: Thief attempts to break into someone's home, and the homeowner...

Considering that no one here broke into any homes, what exactly is your point?

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
absolutely not.

Did the gunner though that? who could say

The gunner had no reason to think that though. Someone simply ringing a door bell isn't breaking in.

I think he's saying that the thread had many posters who said they would shoot someone who broke into their house, regardless of their intentions, not that the victim tried to break in.

Right, but there's no relevance here because we aren't talking about someone being shot after breaking into a Home. We're talking about an innocent child someone ringing a doorbell and subsequently being shot through a locked door without warning.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
This story gets me because at one point a few years ago, this could've easily been me. It was late at night and I went off in search of a booty call and went to the wrong house after driving into the wrong neighborhood (the neighborhoods were across the street to each other and were on the same cross street). Luckily for me, it was a extremely fatigued and woken up women. Hadn't even really considered the fact that some paranoid asshat could've shot me until this story.

Honestly surprised it doesn't happen even more frequently tbh

You have a huge chunk of the population, confidently ignorant, loading up on guns, racist fear mongering propaganda online and tv, enabling politicians, and a culture of guns as the answer and laws that essentially protect against accountability
Given how often people will use a driveway to uturn in tight neighborhood streets, I'm 100% with you in my surprise this doesn't happen more often than not.