• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Favorite track?

• One of the basura trio (ITAKY, Yikes, All Mine)

Votes: 100 21.6%
  • Wouldn't Leave

Votes: 17 3.7%
  • No Mistakes (Jmon certified)

Votes: 39 8.4%
  • Ghost Town

Votes: 248 53.7%
  • Violent Crimes

Votes: 58 12.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
Ye will never rank high, but that's gonna largely be because of length. If you look between all of his June albums, I'm sure there'll be enough content for one single Album of the Year-but individually, they're probably all too short to reach that height.

Personally, I think it's a great album.

Oct 27, 2017
Weird because I think it's very thematically focused. Like that's it's best strength.

I don't really agree with the score, but this is a well written review:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/jun/01/kanye-west-ye-review-good-music

After reading the review, I feel like I should clarify. Maybe "thematically" wasn't the right word. There's a clear undercurrent about it being Kanye's thoughts/struggles on his mental illness and depression. And it's jumbled and varies greatly, because dealing with those issues is a confusing and often unclear process. That much I agree with. I guess I more meant...musically, if that makes any sense? While all the tracks have the same underlying connection, I meant that if you listened to them separately (and somehow didn't know they were all from the same album) you might not be able to guess that

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You guys would really rather have these More Life/Culture II type albums with 23 songs that you only end up remembering 4 of?

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If they just had someone other than cudi singing. Jesus when he says "trrrrryyyyahhh" it's the most out of key thing ever.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Listened to Ghost Town so many times. Even if this album is weaker than I expected, this track will go down as a classic

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
You guys would really rather have these More Life/Culture II type albums with 23 songs that you only end up remembering 4 of?
No. 10 tracks is fine, anything less is a glorified EP (to me). I'd be fine with 7 if the songs were all 4 minutes.

There are two two minute songs on this that don't really even feel like songs. I think Ye is spreading himself too thin and instead of releasing all these EPs, he should've focused on two more traditional albums. Because at this rate it's looking like this will be quantity over quality.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
7 songs worked fine here and should work for Kids See Ghosts and Teyana too, but I think it was a disservice for Push and definitely will be for Nas

10 would be the sweet spot IMO

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
For me even if it's amazing, 20 odd minutes of new music isn't enough. It's like half of a meal. Give me at least 40 minutes. I want new albums to feel like an event.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone that loves TLOP more than 90% of this board

Nah

Yeezus is just way too more focused and refined. That shit was the definition of all killer, no filler.

whatsarobot

Nov 17, 2017
Violent Crimes breaks my heart because it shows what this whole thing could have been with a little focus, and a topic. It's the first Kanye song that feels mature post-children, and tackles a new sound and theme. Too bad the rest of the album is scooptity woop.

Bacon

Oct 26, 2017
Yikes is pretty much the only track that stands out for me. That chorus is really, really good.

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not for me because I honestly only care about Pusha, Kanye, and Nas. Each piece should stand on its own. So far Daytona does, but not Ye. Idk, I'd be fine with it if the songs were better/felt complete.
I mean, the album next week is surely a Ye album with just Cudi on it like Watch the Throne. Or at least that's how I see it. We just gotta be patient.

FeenixRisen

McDonalds looks really average next to Wendys
Oct 25, 2017
This album was just... okay.

But seeing how there is a large contingent on this forum that thinks Yeezus was anything but a landfill on wax, I'm not surprised about the KTT-esque aura of this thread.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not for me because I honestly only care about Pusha, Kanye, and Nas. Each piece should stand on its own. So far Daytona does, but not Ye. Idk, I'd be fine with it if the songs were better/felt complete.
Listen man, the dude released 7 full length albums before this.

I have no problem with him trying something new/experimental with this release roll out. Releasing 5 albums in the span of five weeks with some of the biggest names in rap with your name attached to them is nothing short of a huge feat. Who else attempted something like this? No one.

That's why it's interesting.

JohnDoe

Oct 26, 2017
Even TLOP had tracks/moments that stood out to me. This had nothing except the beat on the title track which really came in towards the end anyway.
The rapping is weak. Ye was never a great lyricist or had a crazy flow but he hit you with some memorable shit and had charisma on the mic. It's all gone now. I think as far as music goes I'm done with this guy. Yeezus was his last good (but very very flawed) album.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
The things Kanye did on Twitter were dumb, awful, and ignorant, but how can you say this album is trash or mediocre? This album is great and the biggest fault I can give it is that it's too short.

This is the only album in recent time that gave me old Kanye vibes from way back. Holy fuck did it touch me and my god is it just consistent for a album from Kanye. I really need to relisten to this album.

Fuck why couldn't this album be longer my god. Also this album is getting so much better reception elsewhere than here. Like I understand y'all hate Kanye but naw this album is good and is my favorite so far this year. Can't wait for Nas and Kid Cudi.

Or maybe I'm outta my mind lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.