• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still not sure why they released it five months after TLJ. I thought the plan was to alternate every December between a numbered episode and a spin-off, like they did with TFA -> RO -> TLJ, and if they'd done that with Solo it would have fit right into that pattern ahead of ROS.

kitzkozan

Oct 25, 2017
Releasing it 5 months after TLJ certainly didn't help solo. I think making mediocre movie that nobody asked for was the real mistake.

It's mostly the initial level of interest in the film being very low even if it's got the SW name in it (you can add the lead actor having to replace Ford, TLJ controversies, rocky development with the directors, etc). Just like the level of interest in the "real" Captain Marvel being low which is why Shazam! isn't doing great at the BO and will be the lowest grossing SH movie from the big two in a decade (despite very good reviews). The quality of the movie itself isn't really important, since I could name several mediocre ones that grossed close to a billion or so and this just prove that worldwide audiences had an interest in seeing them to begin with.

Last edited:

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
95% of the movie going audience don't know or care about the cartoons. The movies are right to not give them much weight

But I think at least for now Disney and Lucasfilm are keen on maintaining a single canon, which means they're not gonna overwrite previous material all willy-nilly like Lucas so often did.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Solo was a great movie. Better than Rogue One.

I wish it had been a Disney Plus show because I wanted more and I'm sick of this stupid narrative that it was a bad concept.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
While I did enjoy Solo quite a bit (Q'ira is the best female character in the series and I liked young Han more than Harrison Ford), the response from most people in my circles seemed to be either "I don't care about a Han Solo movie" or "Didn't they just make a Star Wars movie?"

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
95% of the movie going audience don't know or care about the cartoons. The movies are right to not give them much weight

This isn't the old EU where they don't care what happens in the books and other extended media and overwrite them.

If they redid it on a movie or tv the context wouldn't make sense for the audience as he would just randomly show up from Obi-Wan's POV.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Hardly anyone wanted a Solo movie to begin with maybe they should admit that, it wouldn't have mattered where it was placed, it basically answered the questions nobody asked.

This, I liked Han's past being shrouded in mystery, Solo destroyed a lot of the illusions and assumptions that made Han an interesting character in the first place. Also, no one can ever replace Harrison Ford as Han Solo and Disney assuming that audiences would accept a replacement was a mistake.

I skipped Solo in the theaters, but I would've been there day one if they had released an Obi Wan movie with Ewan McGregor instead.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Well they should care. That's the whole point of those Star Wars shows on Disney+ going forward right? There are a lot of details in The Clone Wars, Rebels, even Resistance that may be referred to in other shows. Heck, this is already the case - Woody Harrelson's character in Solo is famous for taking out a bounty hunter from The Clone Wars and Hera's ship from Rebels is visible in Rogue One as the Rebel fleet attacks Scarif.

Even the novels are becoming important to the overall narrative of Star Wars. They didn't just clean out the EU out of spite. Everything is much more cohesive than it used to be and it's not like the MCU, where the shows literally don't exist as far as the movies are concerned.

If you want to know what Maul got up to between Phantom Menace and Solo, go watch The Clone Wars. You want to know what happens to him later? Go watch Rebels. These aren't things movies are going to cover because they've already been covered.

Solo was a great movie. Better than Rogue One.

I wish it had been a Disney Plus show because I wanted more and I'm sick of this stupid narrative that it was a bad concept.
It is a bad concept. We already had three movies with a young Han Solo and his character arc came to an end in TFA. All you were left with was nothing more than winking at the rest of the canon and explaining stuff that never needed explaining in the first place. It would have been far better off to get a fun heist-focused story that had nothing to do with Han Solo, as you would kept all the good things about the concepts that drove the action sequences and get a far more deserving cast of characters in place of ones that already had their stories told.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously, but if a full movie starring River Phoenix as young Indy had been made I really don't think people would have disliked it on the basis of Indy not being portrayed by Harrison Ford. River proved you can have Harrison's character portrayed by someone else.
I don't think having a ten minute flashback at the beginning of Last Crusade is evidence that people are willing to accept Harrison's characters played by someone else lol. People accepted it because they new in a few minutes Harrison Ford would show up, and there's a level of legitimacy that came from Last Crusade still being a movie starring Ford, and directed by Spielberg.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
As many, many have said...no one wanted a Solo movie. At fucking all. It's a shame because the movie was actually pretty good. It just goes to show they need to work on that pipeline to the fans so they can get a better feel for what the base wants.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Solo: A Star Wars Story is honestly one of the Star Wars films I've had the most fun with. I loved everything from the cinematography, to the flow of it all, the action set pieces were memorable, and it has some of, if not the best costume design and character design in a Star Wars film. I really liked it.

That said, nobody asked for a Solo prequel film, so that's probably the main reason it did worse on the BO. Nobody were interested to begin with.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A bit of a shame but it makes sense. We're already overloaded with multiple Marvel movies every year and the more big blockbuster movies that come out every year the fewer we can reasonably see.

I still think if the sequel trilogy movies had been released three years apart from each other instead of two, they could have fitted Solo in a lot more comfortably and people would've actually been okay with one or two Star Wars spin off movies between the mainline entries.

The just kinda rushed into it without thinking about it. We hadn't had a Star Wars movie in ten years, then all of a sudden we had four being released within four years of each other? That definitely needed to be spaced out a lot more, even if only by two more years.

Marvel grows every year and StarWars was heading for deminishing returns because they aren't the same thing. You can do multiple MCU films yearly but not SW

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TLJ had nothing to do with it. It looked bad and nobody wanted to watch a Han Solo movie starring some guy instead of Harrison Ford.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
fatigue is one thing but i just don't think they had much of a game plan. i like RLM's white trash winning the lottery analogy where they pretty much went whole hog right away rather than having a thought out 5-10 year roadmap or whatever. even the saga trilogy itself wasn't thought out, just getting movies to the B.O. was the order of the day

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
It is a bad concept. We already had three movies with a young Han Solo and his character arc came to an end in TFA. All you were left with was nothing more than winking at the rest of the canon and explaining stuff that never needed explaining in the first place. It would have been far better off to get a fun heist-focused story that had nothing to do with Han Solo, as you would kept all the good things about the concepts that drove the action sequences and get a far more deserving cast of characters in place of ones that already had their stories told.

It was a movie I'd wanted to see since I was a kid and read the Han Solo novels, so I don't agree with you.

In the end I lose this one as I'm not getting a sequel. That's why I wish it had been a show. The reaction would have been different. More people would have given it a chance.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
They really thought they could squeeze Star Wars dry by exploiting every piece of the IP to the max. Before Solo tanked they were probably wondering if they could get a movie out of that little box-shaped wheelie droid that zipped around underfoot in the Death Star.

Solo itself isn't even really a bad movie. But you know they were gearing up to release 3 SW films a year using the MCU blueprint.
Honestly I feel like this wouldn't have been a bad idea if SW didn't revolve around the same couple of characters/events. The MCU, despite being vastly smaller in scope, feels like a much larger and diverse universe because the huge array of characters. SW still mostly revolves the Skywalkers and the same Empire/Rebellion conflict. For the next trilogy I hope they do something similar to Knights of the Old Republic and set it 5000 years into the future or something.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Marvel grows every year and StarWars was heading for deminishing returns because they aren't the same thing. You can do multiple MCU films yearly but not SW
Thing is, they technically can, but Solo is exactly evidence on how not to do that. I truly believe there can sustainably be multiple Star Wars films each year just like Marvel, but it would require Disney to stop mining nostalgia, and branch out from these same fucking ten characters that we've had since the 70s. That's why Marvel works, they introduce crazy shit like Guardians and Dr Strange as they also give people the Spider Mans and Captain America's.

Solo is a microcosm of how not to build a universe. Rian Johnson's new trilogy can't come soon enough, because the "Galaxy Far Far Away" we currently have is largely inhabited by like 15 people who are all related or connected in the most contrived ways possible.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why would you want even more hours with the least charismatic lead I've seen maybe ever. The lead actor just completely botched the whole movie.

Surprisingly, Emilia Clarke was much better.

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
Should of been a Disney + flick with limited releases

In fact, all those "A Star Wars Story" should be Disney + flicks

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
I'd probably watch Solo again before the prequel tril or the newer 2 SW proper.

I never want to see Rogue One again.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Should of been a Disney + flick with limited releases

In fact, all those "A Star Wars Story" should be Disney + flicks

Agreed, and it sounds like they will be.

You can't make a 350 million dollar TV movie.

It was only 350 because they went with the wrong directors and the budget ballooned.

It could have been done much cheaper as a show and been just as effective.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
the problem has more to do with TLJ ruining Star Wars to the point that lots of fans just gave up on Star Wars as a whole.

I saw Rogue One, no problem but then after I left The Last Jedi, I was so confused of what the fuck I just watched, it was the same emotion I had after I saw Phantom Menace. I am a Star Wars fan, I am supposed to like Star Wars but this movie made me feel confused because I don't like it.

so after TLJ, I just lost interest in the new direction of Star Wars. That is why I didn't see Solo

moomoo14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird that many think it's not a good movie. I thought it was better than Force Awakens and TLJ. To each their own, I suppose.

Oct 25, 2017
It's mostly the initial level of interest in the film being very low even if it's got the SW name in it (you can add the lead actor having to replace Ford, TLJ controversies, rocky development with the directors, etc). Just like the level of interest in the "real" Captain Marvel being low which is why Shazam! isn't doing great at the BO and will be the lowest grossing SH movie from the big two in a decade (despite very good reviews). The quality of the movie itself isn't really important, since I could name several mediocre ones that grossed close to a billion or so and this just prove that worldwide audiences had an interest in seeing them to begin with.

Hey, you never know. If the movie was at least good it could have maybe had a word of mouth thing going on. It would have been an uphill climb, sure, but stranger things have happened. I don't think we need any one specific explanation for why Solo failed when it was a complex network of bad decisions that did it. Production trouble, firing of good directors, film no one asked for, bland lead, lame film. Disney trying to force the Marvel mold onto a universe than can't handle it was another huge mistake.

Talking about the failures is more interesting than the film itself, at least.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
To my surprise, I enjoyed Solo more than any of the other Disney Star Wars films. That being said, there seemed to be very little demand/hype for it and it's proximity to TLJ couldn't have helped, especially given how divisive that movie turned out being.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I think the common opinion about Solo is that it was serviceable but unnecessary. It's a perfect Sunday afternoon movie.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Solo added nothing interesting to the character and actively ruined one of the best aspects of the character: his mystery.

We don't need exposition and prequels for everything.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
While people were pointing out we didn't need a Solo movie (I agree 100%) and that it was a mediocre movie (nah, taken on its own its a solid popcorn movie), this didn't stop Lucas's thoroughly not needed and mediocre prequel series stomping through the box office during its run.

It was the timing. It gets released Xmas time its a blockbuster as usual even with its flaws. A Star Wars movie is an event...but with Solo you're dealing with other blockbusters. Wasnt there two Marvel movies released in that same summer timeframe?

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
There are a lot of reasons for the movie's failure:

• Firing the directors late in production
  • Miscast lead
  • Releasing the film so close after prior movie
  • Poor marketing build—related to closeness to TLJ, but also suggested poor confidence in the film and its lead, who never appeared in press during final push prior to release
  • Snakebit from the start: it was a paint-by-numbers origin story, rather than just a straight young Han & Chewie adventure, like the old Brian Daley novels.
Sure, it was a movie no one asked for, but they could've easily made a movie you never knew you wanted to see; however, that would've required none of the listed points to happen.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
the problem has more to do with TLJ ruining Star Wars to the point that lots of fans just gave up on Star Wars as a whole.

I saw Rogue One, no problem but then after I left The Last Jedi, I was so confused of what the fuck I just watched, it was the same emotion I had after I saw Phantom Menace. I am a Star Wars fan, I am supposed to like Star Wars but this movie made me feel confused because I don't like it.

so after TLJ, I just lost interest in the new direction of Star Wars. That is why I didn't see Solo

This is why I didn't watch Solo as well.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mostly enjoyed it when I saw it on a tiny screen in an airplane over the Pacific ocean, but it probably shouldn't have been made in the first place.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I really liked Solo but at the end of the day - it being so close to The Last Jedi, little to no marketing, and a topic no one asked for was what ruined it. I get that they had to make this movie because Kasdan thought it was a great idea and it was the only way to sign him on for The Force Awakens but the fact that it was announced to groans among the fanbase... maybe should have been a warning sign that this wasn't a good idea.

Doomshroom

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Screw timing! I didnt watch it because TLJ was trash. The biggest problem is the management how the fuck do you plan a trilogy and let everyone do as they wish. Oh and did they just now realize hey we can call this the Skywalker saga? you are 8 movies in already.