• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 18, 2017
Ghost Theory

Seemed like it would be a neat horror game. Ghost hunting in a PT/Ghostbusters/Luigi's Mansion style FPS.

The team raised £50k, then scrapped everything they'd worked on up to that point as wanted to switch engines, claimed they needed more money, whilst simulateously developing and releasing several games unrelated to the kickstarter "to help funding".

2-3 years later nothing has happened other than concept art and excuses, but they still claim to be aiming to complete the project. They're issuing refunds after mounting pressure but amazingly lots of backers still support them.

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
Star Citizen.
After years of hype I recently lost all hope of seeing this completed one day in the form I expected.
Asked for a refund of my 275$, and bought a Switch with it, best decision ever.

Crow Pudding

Nov 12, 2017
With more than 300 backed projects (not only videogames), I only regret a few, maybe less than 10.
I don't care for the delays, it's completely previsible, but I hate the bad communication in some cases.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
nothing really

I haven't really backed all that many games but here's the list of them:

Wasteland 2: enjoyed it,met my expectations
Bear Simulator: backed this one on impulse for no particular reason,didn't really care for it but "regret" would be too strong a word here
Shadowrun: Hong Kong: yet to play this but since it came out i've played and enjoyed Dragonfall so i'm sure i'll get around to it eventually
Yooka-Laylee: never played it based on things i've heard,I guess this one would be the closest since I did have some amount of hopes for it at some point but I still feel like "regret" is too strong a word here
Divinity: Original Sin 2: haven't really played it as much as I probably should but good game that I don't regret backing at all
Battletech: haven't really played it as much as I probably should but good game that I don't regret backing at all

and a couple that aren't out yet in Bards Tale IV and Wasteland 3(the latter not being kickstarter specifically I guess but same idea really)

hotcyder

Oct 28, 2017
System Shock remake is the only thing that hasn't Galvanised. I don't really regret it tho.

Bigjig

Jun 4, 2018
I don't really think I regret anything. Sure some games didn't live up to expectation, such as Broken Age. But even then I got a pretty cool documentary out of it and I'm glad to have backed it.

subtropisch

Jun 23, 2018
I backed a few games back in 2014 because I was so intrigued in Kickstarter and most of them were disappointments. I only regret backing Project Phoenix because it seems like it will never come out or will be terrible, but even most of the other games like Darkest Dungeon or Rain World weren't really for me. So I just don't back games anymore there are just too many risks and too little possible (I don't mean monetary) payoff for backers.

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I pulled up the list of shit I've backed and there's plenty in here I've never used, regardless of quality: Amplitude, Mighty No. 9, GameStick, Maia, Distance, Project Eternity, Ouya, Castle Story and Double Fine Adventure.

I have no memory of receiving "The Smash Brothers: Armada". Did that ever come out?

At least there's some good stuff in here that I actually used: Idle Thumbs, Defense Grid 2, Super Drake Tracker, Outerlands and Yooka-Laylee.

Despite my pledge, I don't expect to play Shenmue 3.

Intraxidance

Oct 25, 2017
I've never backed a game on Kickstarter, and reading through some of these posts I don't think I ever will.

The probabilities of getting burned just don't make it worth it unless you are extremely invested in the idea of what you're supporting. Otherwise you're just best off waiting for the game to actually release and buying it.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Kickstarter are always a risk, but it's actually enjoyable to take risks sometimes, and be a part of a ride. You just have to not look at it as a pure preorder, and only back with money that I can accept be to maybe lose.

And several really bad kickstarters had quite large warning flags in their pitch, that people should have noticed. Like the Yogscast one, and Project Phoneix.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
What are some games you regret donating money to?

For me it's Yooka-Laylee, what a disappointment that game turned out to be.
I agree it wasn't what I wanted it to be but at least it wasn't delayed a million times and it's clear they put a lot of effort. I don't regret it backing it. I'm glad I never backed a scam project, only YL and Broken Age.

Bate

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Orion Trail pissed me off. They promised something like Oregon Trail in space. At that time I was coming hard off an Organ Trail binge, because that game is fantastic, and was hungry for more. But Orion Trail can hardly pass as an interactive experience. You can choose a route to progress through the galaxy, but the gameplay is like a slot machine and only dependent on luck. What really pissed me off was the self representation of the developers Schell Games who presented themselves and their founder as complete geniuses in many areas and especially game design. Orion Trail has been a complete contradiction of these claims.

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
Playtonic just made some design mistakes with Yooka Laylee (some of which they rectified with the big patch). I was disappointed that it didn't live up to expectations, but I have no regrets about backing it, I enjoyed the game. The fallout from the Jontron mess, and the 2/10 review from that "famous" youtube guy I can't remember, was totally OTT and ridiculous. And hopefully it's helped establish a new indie dev, who I'm sure will ramp up their quality in years to come.

Ouya is the obvious regret for me, though I did at least reduce my pledege from the username-etched special edition to just the plain console at the last minute. Stuck it on ebay days after receiving it.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Mighty No. 9. I've backed Republique but I haven't even tried it (maybe it'll run on my 2400G).

Everything else I've backed that has been released has been good (Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Returns, etc.). Still waiting on Drift Stage, Ghost Song and Shenmue 3. My lack of time makes the wait tolerable.

hob982

Oct 27, 2017
Space Venture, the Space Quest-like adventure graphic.
No communication, just about the same in every update ("we have no money but it's still worked on, please be excited"), something like tentative release date 2013, I think, and it's.... well.
I don't think it'll ever release, and even if it does, I doubt I'll ever play it. I'd prefer them to just cancel it and move on.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
I have backed the following:

• Amplitude
  • Broken Age ('Double Fine Adventure')
  • Hyper Light Drifter
  • Knights and Bikes
  • Shenmue III
  • Yooka-Laylee

I enjoyed my time with Amplitude, even if it isn't quite as good as Frequency, and I played and completed Broken Age on my iPad and it was just okay. Hyper Light Drifter is AMAZING and I was pleased to help fund that game whereas Yooka-Laylee did exactly what it says on the tin, but unremarkably so. I still haven't beaten Capital B...

Knights and Bikes is coming along nicely, despite the original release date slipping even further away, and Shenmue III is still in ongoing development. The more I see of it, the more I temper my (high) expectations.

I've done alright actually!

I missed the Kickstarter boat on both Hollow and Shovel Knight however, I still end up buying those two brilliant games on both the Switch and Wii U respectively.

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
I backed shenmue 3 like 3 years ago. I forgot how much i put in. I then got the email to pick which version etc and it turns out i put in $250. As far as i can tell im getting a drawing extra and a tshirt lol. I was just so happy to get a sequel. But yea, my regret is i didnt just pay for a digital copy or something. Lol

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
NUREN, Jake Kaufman's "VR Opera"--I'm perfectly fine with delays but it's been years since his proposed ETA and he hasn't done jack shit, nor has he offered a satisfactory excuse as to why. I wouldn't put him on the same tier of shittiness as Jeremy Soule but I've definitely lost a lot of respect for him after years of constant flakiness.

The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers book/s--the end product did a disservice to its subjects and the vortex of ugliness surrounding the author was and continues to be utterly embarrassing.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I put $30 into start citizen and it's the only project I've backed that hasn't delivered a product.

Can't say I regret it though, when I put money to a project I consider it lost there and then. Whatever comes out is a bonus. If the failure of a project would make me regret spending the money I wouldn't spend it in the first place.

Digoman

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't really backed anything recently because of exchange rate, but from the "original" wave:

- Star Citizen. At this point I would be "happy" to get a clunky Wing Commander game, even if I ended up paying more than I should for it.
- Republique because I have no idea why the hell I supported it.
- Spaceventure isn't a big regret because I backed knowing it looked really "iffy" so it was more a little bet to see if I could get a new Space Quest style adventure, but it still is money wasted.

Oct 26, 2017
Essex
POez7Z2.png

Regrets in there, Mighty No 9, Ouya, Elite Dangerous (never received a key despite constant contact to see what was happening) and getting close to Shattered as I now no longer have a PC so likely to give the code away when it releases.

On IndieGoGo there was a device called Miiya which I backed but never materialised. $85 backing to never be seen again

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/miiya-connected-smartwatch-to-get-kids-active#/

wrhwk

Oct 27, 2017
Szeged, Hungary
Auditorium 2: Duet - got cancelled
Power Drive 2000 - no updates for more than a year now, so probably cancelled too

2 regrets out of about 40 backed games / game related project, it's a pretty good ratio I suppose.

Evilcrane

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I've backed around 25 kickstarter or similar projects so far: games, board games, books and other stuff. I understand game development quite well so I don't really care if the final product gets pushed back to make it even better, so other than missed original release dates, I've been very happy with the games that I've backed. Two of the games that I've backed were just recently released, BattleTech and Pillars of Eternity II and I though they were fantastic games. Ghost Song, Bard's Tale IV and Bloodstained are some of the games that are still in development and they seem to be shaping up nicely.

Looking over the list of my backed projects, there's only one so far that was an incredible fuck up: Apollo 11 Flight Plan Re-Issue. It would seem that most of the backers either never got the product, it was damaged or it had the wrong binder. It's been over a year now since the last update from the creator and the comments section is still filled with angry people who never got their product. Now, the weird thing is that I might just be the single person on earth (just check the comments section) that got their product in the mail, undamaged and with the correct binder and everything. Sure there are apparently some mistakes on some pages and the paper quality isn't what it was supposed to be - but it was still a great gift for my father and he thought it was really cool. Actually, I would even consider it a bonus if my father ever decided to print out the official NASA version so that he could find any mistakes and keep his mind active as he gets older! :)

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I have only backed one game and it is Shenmue 3. So far I don't regret doing it, but I have a weird feeling by the time the game comes out and I play it I will be regretting it. Hope I'm wrong though.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Yooka-Laylee was exactly what was promised, and despite having a few rough spots, I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I'm a little concerned about both Bloodstained and Shenmue, but I'm hopeful that they'll both turn out alright.

The one I'm regretting is the System Shock remake because of how far the devs strayed from what was promised. Granted, it's entirely possible that they get this back on track and deliver a straight remake of SS and all is well. But for now, this is the one I'm regretting the most.

fhqwhgads

Oct 28, 2017
I actually found Yooka Laylee to be a pretty good game. Granted I can see why people were upset with how it turned out, people wanted Banjo Kazooie and they got Banjo Tooie/Donkey Kong 64 instead. So personally, I've had no regrets with kickstarters, with Indivisible shaping up very nicely so I don't think I'll have any new regrets soon.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I've backed a few games, but none of which I really regret since I usually don't put more than $5 towards a project. With the result of some of the final products, I'm thankful I didn't throw a lot more money towards them. If anything I guess MM9 would be a regret since my name is in the 4 hour(?) long credits.

A lot of people had high hopes for MM9, including myself, and Yooka-Laylee seemed to be a bit bland despite loving Rare's N64 era. A Hat in Time I haven't tried out yet, but I have since lost interest in playing it. Pillars of Eternity was probably the highlight. Heart Forth Alicia and Ghost Song I don't expect to see, and I'm hoping Bloodstained doesn't turn out like MM9.

Deleted member 41271

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 21, 2018
I backed few kickstarters, but all are awesome or triumphs of the genre.

Pillars of Eternity? Makes Witcher look like an amateur project, in my opinion. THIS is what a RPG should be like. The sequel turned out even better.
Shovel Knight? Not just a great game, it's beloved by critics and fans, and the devs are going far beyond their promises, essentially delivering multiple sequels instead of "just" playable versions of some bosses
Shadowrun? Loved it
Torment? Loved it. That it "only has three fights" is not a drawback but an advantage to me, and I do see it as a step forward that we desperately need in the RPG genre. We keep making combat more and more detailed, at the expense of everything else, and Torment is one of the first recent games that dared to stray from that mold.

I also backed Bloodstained (good? bad? Who knows, graphics are generally considered meh, and leveldesign seems to be typical IGA, so lets see if it lands in Ecclesia (great) or SOTN (bad) territory) and Underworld (looking promising). Edit: Oh, I apparently also backed Heart Forth Alicia. Let's hope that comes out one day. If not, it may have been my main backing failure!

So four triumphs, and two things in development.

Mind, I never understood the crying about kickstarter among gamers. I backed even more board games on kickstarter, and those are still doing really good. Kickstarter is more a problem for devs than for those that "buy" games with it. One example of this from the dev side can be seen here: https://stonemaiergames.com/lessons-learned-from-quitting-kickstarter-as-a-creator-part-1/

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I backed Amplitude (I didn't like this series but other people seemed happy so I wanted to contribute), Yooka Laylee (I liked it), Bloodstained (I think it is shaping up nicely), and Shenmue 3 (TBD). I would never touch an Inafune project as I do not enjoy his games and he is also a charlatan.

Fuggins

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Project Phoenix.

If nobody knows this, I can write a small resume for this one. Basically it's been quite a few years and we have no footage or anything at all for the game. They also used the money to do other games and projects and ask us, backers, they buy these products (other kickstarters) and games so they could have money to finish the Kickstarter.

Not mad and I don't really care, but it sucks I give money for this.

Once every couple of months, I'm reminded that I backed this, and I just sigh.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
I think the only ones I've been actually burned on so far are:

Mansion Lord (?) - Hotel simulator thing that turned out to be a scam

Moon Intern - I have no idea what happened with this one. Don't want to completely say it was a scam but it certainly feels that way although most likely the dev just lost interest or ran out of gas.

Mr. Card Game - A Kingdom of Loathing based deck builder that didn't go over very well and it later came to light that the company that developed it was scamming a bunch of webcomic artists. I think I only opened this up, took a look at it, closed the box, and never opened it back up again.

Mighty No. 9 - I guess? I played the beta and was hoping they would patch up the released version a bit before diving in since the beta didn't fully click with me. Haven't done that yet. Will probably do it some day but not high a high priority.

With more than 300 backed projects (not only videogames), I only regret a few, maybe less than 10.
I don't care for the delays, it's completely previsible, but I hate the bad communication in some cases.

That's my feelings. I've contributed to far more successes than outright failures or scams, and some of those successes have been very very good. Sometimes bets just don't pan out the way you want them.

RacerBest

Nov 3, 2017
Power Drive 2000, looked so amazing but then the dev just disappeared with the money. :(

I feel like Drift Stage's actual biggest issue is how bad the Devs are at communicating. Like, they underestimate the time it'd take to make the game fine, whatever that happens and is easy to do. But we get updates once every few months where they go "woops, sorry we didn't update but here's a bunch of progress" and there hasn't been a new Tester build since 2016. I completely agree with their stance of wanting the game to be really good before they put it into Early Access because you only get one chance at a first impression but still they need to just get it out the door already.

They at least finally have a Steam Page so hopefully that means codes will be going out soon.

EDIT: WAIT WHAT, they DID send keys out, just silently via Humble Bundle. Go check your account, in the Keys section you should have a Drift Stage steam key. WHY DIDN'T THEY EMAIL THESE.
What.... Thanks for telling about the Humble Bundle thing, had a Steam key there also and never knew about it. Why have the devs been so silent about this, it's like they don't want backers to try it?

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Only one I think I regret is Witchmarsh because I'm pretty sure that game is dead, we never get updates

Other games I backed in 2013/2014 like Heart Forth Alicia and Jenny LeClue are both way overdue but also their devs post regular progress updates like every couple months so I'm confident they're still on track for release someday

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
I've backed 46 projects on KS, and probably around 10ish on other platforms like IndieGoGo and Fig, I'm not really disappointed in any of them, since I only back large amounts if I have a lot of faith in the project. I come in expecting that the project might not make it, and as long as I see the people gave a sincere effort to complete the project, it's fine. If I had put money into a downright scam, I'd be a little mad.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Starr Mazer, they went dark for so long apparently due to legal troubles and have been putting updates out again but I have my doubts it'll ever come out.