• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So you're saying this person pretended to be Stephen Kick in the e-mail? As the quote is directly attributed to him. But then there's another resource to a source -- I can accept that their source might be BS, but also the e-mail from Kick himself? It looks kind of cut and dry, and now retraction notice on the article -- did they even try to have the article updated?
No the quote is real, Polygon just misinterpreted it (and that's being nice) and structured the article in a way as to imply the game was put on cold storage and never coming out. That's never what happened, the project was never put on hold. The team just stopped working for a bit while they went over what needed to stay and needed to go.

edit: Just noticed your said "team" was put on hiatus rather than project. Not really sure what the difference is in this case and claiming that that is misinformation seems a bit at odds with the reality of the situation; "projects" never go on hiatus in this case, it's only ever teams. Semantics are basically the same.

It's actually a massive difference as one implies the entire production was frozen and put into cold storage for an indefinite time while the other just means they stopped working on it for x days to restructure things. There's no reason to keep work going if you're going through things and doing a large cutting process.

Wanna know how massive of a difference it is? Check out all the posts here from people thinking the game was dead and never coming out.

Vorador

Oct 28, 2017
I backed a few successes like Battletech....and a few duds. Mighty nº 9 and Project Phoenix.

Project Phoenix is supposedly "still alive" but last notification was a year ago. And we're waaaay behind the original schedule.

We all know how Mighty Nº 9 turned out.

And one that i don't how it will turn out is the System Shock remake. Devs turned greedy and wanted to develop a full reboot of the series instead of a remake, went way over their heads and had to go back to the drawing board. Game is currently on hiatus.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And speaking of that difference I mentioned in real time to prove my point:

And one that i don't how it will turn out is the System Shock remake. Devs turned greedy and wanted to develop a full reboot of the series instead of a remake, went way over their heads and had to go back to the drawing board. Game is currently on hiatus.
They live stream development of it with Q/A about once a month and just posted a replay of their last one 2 days ago on YT.

They've been doing this since the project started and have never stopped.

Oct 25, 2017
It's actually a massive difference as one implies the entire production was frozen and put into cold storage for an indefinite time while the other just means they stopped working on it for x days to restructure things. There's no reason to keep work going if you're going through things and doing a large cutting process.

Wanna know how massive of a difference it is? Check out all the posts here from people thinking the game was dead and never coming out.

I never got out of the polygon article anything other than that the project was temporarily on hold (or, if you prefer, the team, which again to me is a similar suggestion), but I think a lot of the people saying things like "Oh we'll never get that System Shock remake" are coming at it slightly more from a perspective of annoyance with Kickstarter rather than stone cold truth on the matter (if they actually gave money to the SS remake, they should know that it's still "on").

Anyway, I mostly took you up on this because I felt like my quote didn't really deserve to be blanketed in with the rest since all I did was echo that the project was (not *is currently*) on hiatus (which, hiatus meaning temporarily on hold) is not strictly untrue regardless of whether or not you want to say it's ultimately the team that is on hiatus or the project itself.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
None so far. Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, Torment ToN, Bloodstained, and Divinity OS2 all turned out to meet my expectations at the very very least.

I did come pretty close to backing Mighty Number 9, but ultimately decided not to. That was a hell of a lucky break.

Vorador

Oct 28, 2017
They live stream development of it with Q/A about once a month and just posted a replay of their last one 2 days ago on YT.

They've been doing this since the project started and have never stopped.

Well, i missed those Q/As so thanks. That makes me more positive about the success of the remake.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I also backed both Red Ash kickstarters for a couple days before realizing that wasn't a good idea and pulled out.

Deleted member 19702

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I only backed Shenmue 3, I'm kind of worried by now given there's no expected release date to be announced. Very likely this will only come beyond 2020.

Kickstarter should have better insurance for the pledgers' money. This is the reason why I was always reluctant to pledge anything. Stories such as MN9, Project Phoenix, Lioness and PowerDrive 2000 and how Bloodstrained, Star Citizen and Unsung Story are being handled compromises the credibility of KS. You'll may never know if your money is actually being invested into what was promised.

Last edited:

LordZagry

Oct 29, 2017
France
Elysian shadows : delays (3 years and half at least), drama and stupid edgy "anti political-correct" main dev.

Little devil inside : devs take the money and remain silent. Then, 1 year and a half later they sent a message saying that 1. the game Will be delayed (3 years late). 2. they have additional founding but can't say by who. 3. Can't communicate more because of the aformentioned founding.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Little devil inside : devs take the money and remain silent. Then, 1 year and a half later they sent a message saying that 1. the game Will be delayed (3 years late). 2. they have additional founding but can't say by who. 3. Can't communicate more because of the aformentioned founding

Little Devil Inside looked soo good too. Its basically what Zelda ended up becoming, but with a really bad UI.

Now im sure a ton of these projects had to upgrade to the latest version of Unity, just like Ghost Song has to do, along with Moonlighter and Battle Chasers, and from what I can tell its not a simple task. But still, that doesnt explain why they havent provided any updates regarding the development.

no1

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Well 3 of the 4 games I backed now delayed. Bolded those that were delayed

Neon City Riders
Lonely Mountains: Downhill
Fight Knight

Hell Let Loose.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That Ghost Song game looks more like the brave story of a dude making a game while going through digipen rather than an actual proper game, so many changes and so little cohesion.

R_thanatos

Oct 27, 2017
After 14 kickstarters , i was satisfied each time. Or am i .
Out of the 14 the 2 left are bloodstained and shenmue 3
Bloodstain E3 demo was fantastic. And shenmue is still well in my eyes.

NO regrets.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
I only backed few RPGs (Pillars of Eternity II, Divinity: Original Sin II and Torment: Tides of Numenera), so not really. No regrets, whatsoever. Torment could be better, though.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Project Phoenix - Was scrapped and its money used to create Tiny Metal. Fuck all of this.
Soul Saga - Backed ages ago where it felt like I was cheated out of money to send a guy to Japan with a new laptop. At least the game is still in production, though far different than what I originally backed.
Bee and Puppy Cat Show - Backed in 2012 and only just got my rewards this year. Animation is hard, but it was only six episodes that took over half a decade to arrive and the amount spent is no where near the level of the quality I got in the final product. I guess the bonus here is that I got two copies of everything, though both times they got the shirt size wrong. I also got my blu-ray in a slip case months after the show premiered elsewhere.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Mighty No. 9 the thread.

Done.

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero (Backed basic digital tier)
  • 2 years late
  • Physical versions announced after the KS campaign ended with no way of upgrading
So yeah, no more Kickstarters for me unless it's project that I have absolute confidence in or know it just won't see the light of day otherwise.

I didn't mind the delay since the product came out great and I got the DLC with it so I'm good.

But yeah, I think the last one for me will be Indivisible.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
Can't say I have any regrets. Stuff running late, but either turned out great, or still very promising. Shantae/Shenmue/Muv-Luv/Bloodstained. No misses here yet.

On the success side of things, while Shantae did miss the window a bit, the aftermath and continued support has been great. The additional, the gestures of good will too with the ultimate codes.

Muv-Luv has delivered digitally as well, I mean yeah physical stuff is still taking its sweet time, but the novels been done and was released to backers in reasonable time.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Mighty Number 9 was the big one, I'll just attach Red Ash to it.

But my KS track record has been pretty good. The only things I really regret were:

Exploding Kittens, which was a card/board game that just wasn't very fun to play.
Omori, which seemed a cross between earthbound and Mirai Niki which I'm pretty sure is never coming out

Everything else, from comics, to albums to games, has been pretty much successful if not great.

Deleted member 14939

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've only backed The Good Life by Swery, so I can't regret that yet. I mostly backed it so Swery could keep making games. Even if it sucks I won't miss that $25 too bad.

I did want to know if anyone here has backed We Happy Few. Really interested in thoughts on the dramatic shift from what was promised to what it is seeming to be.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Ouya. Hot garbage. First and last thing I've ever Kickstarted.

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
Outright disappointed in myself that I backed them - Midora & Mighty No. 9. I'm not sure if anything will ever come of Cryamore, but I was really hopeful for something that reminded me of Secret of Mana from way back when. Yooka Laylee I was pretty let down with, but I realized I wasn't ever a fan of Banjo Kazooie either so... I'm not sure why I backed it.

It's been a long wait, but I'm really hyped for Chasm, and I'm hoping Timespinner goes well also. Bloodstained too I'm really excited for.

100% satisfied are Wakfu, Little Witch Academia 2, and Hollow Knight which is probably the most enjoyable $15 I've spent in my entire life.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
people keep listing MN9. We got a game at least. The Kickstarter projects you never got should be listed here.

Deleted member 19702

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What? Actually it's confirmed to come out in 2019, and they already started sending backer surveys, check out your email.

It wasn't confirmed, it was delayed and expected to hit somewhere around 2019, but there's no certain it'll actually hit it and further delays will happen again.

I remember being interested in Soul Saga a long time ago, a love letter to the PSX days JRPGs kept me interested but it was long delayed and no expected release date was announced, so I lost interested. I might check if one day comes up, but the dev really trainwrecked here.

Last edited:

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
I backed Mighty No. 9 at the $40 tier... yuck. Also Project Phoenix @ $50.

Then there's Ghost Song which I don't regret backing as it looks great and I'm sure will come out eventually, but it sure is taking a long time.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
None, but I haven't backed anything gaming related (since this was posted on the gaming side).

Non-gaming, no regrets either but I have only backed two kickstarters:

David Addison

Oct 28, 2017
I never got out of the polygon article anything other than that the project was temporarily on hold
Are you...are you implying that someone would just go on the internet and scream "fake news"...just to protect their ego?
Nightdive Studios' remake of System Shock has been put on hiatus, according to a company statement obtained by Polygon and due to be sent to Kickstarter backers today. The game had been funded by a $1.35 million Kickstarter campaign that attracted 21,625 backers.

In the statement from Nightdive, CEO Stephen Kick wrote, "I have put the team on a hiatus while we reassess our path so that we can return to our vision. We are taking a break, but not ending the project. System Shock is going to be completed and all of our promises fulfilled."

The Kickstarter campaign took place in the summer of 2016. Nightdive was giving progress updates to backers as recently as January, when the studio posted a concept art video. The game was originally scheduled to be released at the end of 2017.

A source familiar with the project, speaking on condition of anonymity, told Polygon that "mission creep" and unrealistic ambitions had eaten up the Kickstarter funds, something that Nightdive largely confirmed. In an interview with Polygon, director of business development Larry Kuperman said that a strategy to pitch the game to publishers, in order to secure more funding, had not been successful. He added that around 15 contract workers will no longer be working on the game, but that Nightdive is not laying off any full-time staff.

I think a lot of the people saying things like "Oh we'll never get that System Shock remake" are coming at it slightly more from a perspective of annoyance with Kickstarter rather than stone cold truth on the matter
The original estimate delivery date was December 2017. Four months later, it was abruptly announced the project had been scaled back to a port (plus new story bits?), that a bunch of contractors were terminated...and that the release date was pushed forward "18 to 24 months".

Certain other quotes ("the company is determined to honor its Kickstarter commitments, using funds from sales of other classic games updated and re-released by the company") imply that the Kickstarter fund won't be large enough to cover the entire development.

Nothing ominous here!

Afro

Oct 25, 2017
Armikrog was one of the worst games I've ever played and is an embarrassment to be associated with Neverhood.

Oct 27, 2017
Mighty No. 9 the thread.

I do not regret Mighty No. 9 Kickstarter at all. The game was decent (It's not a great game, but honestly, it gets 99% of its hate based on the graphics and it making fun of anime fans), it got two great retro games out of it (Mighty Gunvolt and Mighty Gunvolt Burst), and nothing about the project was deceitful and I got all the rewards I paid for. That is way more than I could say about many other Kickstarters.

People always use Mighty No. 9 as the worst Kickstarter, while ignoring the dozens of others that were far, FAR worse.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
The Mandate never did come out, and Star Citizen is on the treadmill, oh well.

The most disappointing ones are the games that switched to a free2play model after the kickstarter campaign. I understand the devs probably make more from whales under that model, but that's not what I signed up for. Examples: Football Heroes, Duelyst (this is the one that hurts the most. at least a bunch of good tactical games came out recently to ease the pain)

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Not kickstarter, and it was only 30 some bucks so regret is a strong word, just tired of waiting

"Congratulations! You are officially the 94th backer of Psychonauts 2 by Double Fine Productions."

It's a massive game. You shouldn't have expected anything else.

I'll do Patreons for content that's actually releasing, but if I'm going to invest in a future project, I better have a share of ownership like stock.

Yeah, no wonder that kickstarter doesn't appeal to you. :)

It's actually ok to just take chance with some money once in a while. Most people sit with large amounts of money in their massive backlogs of game they will not play, so it's perfectly fine that some others use a bit of money to help projects succeed, even if some of them turns out to be failures in the end.

Last edited:

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a horrible investor. I supported 3 games and lost interest in all 3 and only played 1. Mighty No. 9 was the first and the only one I played. Shantae: Half-Genie Hero and Yooka-Laylee were the second and third respectively, and I haven't played either. I haven't backed any kickstarter of any kind ever since.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a horrible investor. I supported 3 games and lost interest in all 3 and only played 1. Mighty No. 9 was the first and the only one I played. Shantae: Half-Genie Hero and Yooka-Laylee were the second and third respectively, and I haven't played either. I haven't backed any kickstarter of any kind ever since.

You're really not a horrible investor, since this isn't investment.

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017
Mighty No. 9 the thread.

2nd post nailed it.

That's my only real regret. I backed plenty of really frustrating Kickstarters (ahem, Watermelon Games/Pier Solar), but the end product always delivered, no matter how late.

But Mighty No. 9.....hooooo boy - that was a steaming pile of shit.