• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Headsup! Jared is a spoiling machine. He was the same at IGN and he will remain the same. It's grating but I would recommend skipping his segments.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
I suspected that Jared was going to tone things down this year, but he's still completely dominating all discussions and cutting Tim and Greg off without even realising. It's very frustrating and it makes me generally avoid any segments he's a part of.

I feel bad saying it because he's such a nice guy and passionate gamer, but I'm not enjoying him on KF at all.

OhmygoditsJROD

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I suspected that Jared was going to tone things down this year, but he's still completely dominating all discussions and cutting Tim and Greg off without even realising. It's very frustrating and it makes me generally avoid any segments he's a part of.

I feel bad saying it because he's such a nice guy and passionate gamer, but I'm not enjoying him on KF at all.

Being nice and passionate doesn't give anyone a free pass to be annoying.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He clearly seems like an awesome dude, no disrespect meant to him as a person at all. But hes completely overbearing whenever hes in a discussion.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I'll have to watch the episodes but if I were to guess GotY for the entire KF crew:

Greg - GoW
Tim - Smash but I can see him picking God of War or Celeste
Andrea - AC: Odyssey
Jared - RDR2
Andy - Dead Cells
Gary - No clue, I'll say Spider-Man as a complete guess

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
This week's Gamescast has been so frustrating to listen to. It's the GOTY episode, so naturally discussion is going to be on contemporary games. Numerous times though Jared went on a monologue about some game or system from like 30 years ago while they were talking about Smash or Spider-Man or whatever, with very little connection to the wider conversation taking place. And each time Tim or Greg would just carry on with the discussion as if he hadn't said anything. It's like that one friend everyone knows who has to get their story in even if it doesn't really fit in with the conversation you're having.

I think Jared has made an effort to fit in with the Gamescast style more recently and it's appreciated, but this sort of thing is so frustrating. It's like he wants to talk about old games, fine, and having that knowledge base on a podcast is great. But Gamescast is not the right place for it really, with it's more conversational tone, and especially so the GOTY episode.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
This week's Gamescast has been so frustrating to listen to. It's the GOTY episode, so naturally discussion is going to be on contemporary games. Numerous times though Jared went on a monologue about some game or system from like 30 years ago while they were talking about Smash or Spider-Man or whatever, with very little connection to the wider conversation taking place. And each time Tim or Greg would just carry on with the discussion as if he hadn't said anything. It's like that one friend everyone knows who has to get their story in even if it doesn't really fit in with the conversation you're having.

I think Jared has made an effort to fit in with the Gamescast style more recently and it's appreciated, but this sort of thing is so frustrating. It's like he wants to talk about old games, fine, and having that knowledge base on a podcast is great. But Gamescast is not the right place for it really, with it's more conversational tone, and especially so the GOTY episode.
He does that shit all the time

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

I have literally stopped watching some Kinda Funny content because of Jared.
Dude is annoying as hell and doesn't fit Kinda Funny at all.

One of the worst decisions KF has made hiring him.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He clearly seems like an awesome dude, no disrespect meant to him as a person at all. But hes completely overbearing whenever hes in a discussion.
I love Jared but I wish they'd pair him with people who can hang with him in terms of game knowledge. He's the lone voice repping a lot of great niche and retro stuff but those conversations always end up one sided because the others are really weak on that stuff.

OhmygoditsJROD

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I love Jared but I wish they'd pair him with people who can hang with him in terms of game knowledge. He's the lone voice repping a lot of great niche and retro stuff but those conversations always end up one sided because the others are really weak on that stuff.

Honestly the retro talk gets annoying. I'm with Greg in that "Old game is old." Jared just speaks in a way that makes you think he's right. He is a reverand after all. Everytime he says something is "deliberate" I roll my eyes. No shit its deliberate it was made that way. That's like all games.

Kinda funny generally feels like a focus on new things.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly the retro talk gets annoying. I'm with Greg in that "Old game is old." Jared just speaks in a way that makes you think he's right. He is a reverand after all. Everytime he says something is "deliberate" I roll my eyes. No shit its deliberate it was made that way. That's like all games.

Kinda funny generally feels like a focus on new things.
I like the retro stuff and people that do it well are a previous commodity. Most shows that specialize in retro stuff ironically do not know their shit very well.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
So thoughts on Tim saying those bits* on the end of podcasts are ending with that GOTY episode (and the reason will be announced on KF Day).

*where they tell you to click on links to subscribe, view other shows, etc.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
I refrain from critisizing Jared much just because I don't like how personal it feels to critisize his performance on the podcasts like this. I kind ajust want to get all my thoughts out here. I'll start off by saying I never enjoyed Jared much even before he was officially with KF. I was always surprised at how much seemingly unanimous high praise he got when he occasionally came on a show. While I didn't agree with it, I was happy for him because I wouldn't want a lot of people to feel the same way about him that I did. I was always worried that when he was actually about to be hired, that people would start to see him more as I did, or just more of those people would come out. And, welp. It happened.

I actually grown to enjoy Jared a lot more than I have before, but I still agree with many of these critisims about him. I've just either gotten a bit used to it, or started to enjoy the pros of him more.

For the people who feel really strongly negative about him, well it's sort of a weird situation. I can't see them ever getting rid of him like that, unless Jared goes onto do something else himself. Remember when he first came on and often talked about his previous depression, and there was one time on the gamescast where he was really spilling his heart out about how happy it makes him to be on the show and all that stuff. (I mean he did that multiple times but there was on particular time where he really reached deep in the heart). I don't think they would do that anyway, but yeah that really seals the deal I'd think lol.

It is pretty sad to me that people don't seem to think as highly of him now that he's a regular on the show. For me he's basically exactly what I expected him to be when he was first revealed to be an official hire. He's just grown on me more.

Edit: Also I'm about 2 hours and 20 minutes through the GOTY gamescast and quite enjoying it.

Last edited:

Noah Om

Oct 25, 2017
So thoughts on Tim saying those bits* on the end of podcasts are ending with that GOTY episode (and the reason will be announced on KF Day).

*where they tell you to click on links to subscribe, view other shows, etc.

Wait. I missed this. Where did he say that??

I'm super excited but equally nervous for KF day hahah.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
Wait. I missed this. Where did he say that??

I'm super excited but equally nervous for KF day hahah.

Every podcast ends with them pointing at air to click links which are edited in. This time, Tim said it was the last time they'd do that and the reason why will be revealed on Friday. Perhaps they've been acquired? Perhaps they have some sort of new revenue source. Another thing I've been wondering: They have Kinda Funny and Kinda Funny Games. Is it time they added a third tier? Maybe something focusing on movies? Would that be too much?

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Every podcast ends with them pointing at air to click links which are edited in. This time, Tim said it was the last time they'd do that and the reason why will be revealed on Friday. Perhaps they've been acquired? Perhaps they have some sort of new revenue source. Another thing I've been wondering: They have Kinda Funny and Kinda Funny Games. Is it time they added a third tier? Maybe something focusing on movies? Would that be too much?

I really hope it's not this. Part of why KF works is their independence and I can't see them throwing that away now; like would they have been able to do the Showcase (for example) if they weren't an independent company. I think the RT partnership works well enough for them.

I am curious what they've got for Friday though, like I can't really think of anything major they could announce outside of new shows or maybe a couple of new regulars. And yet they're hyping this up a lot.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind the guy but why was Jared's honourable mentions nearly every game that released this year? Even games he said he hadn't played? lol

Last edited:

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
I think I've reached a point now where in future I'll just skip anything with Jared in it, which is annoying because he's on quite a lot these days, it's frustrating becuase the exact same happened for me when he was at IGN, every time he was on a podcast I wouldn't bother becuase he'd drive me up the wall.

I just hope to god they're not planning on announcing him as a full timer on Friday.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
They're hyping up this KF 4.0 thing like crazy. I'm really starting to think like EdReedFan20 that they've been acquired or have signed some kind of partnership deal and are getting a massive influx of funding.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love jared petty but i dont think hes a good fit on kinda funny who generally appear to a much younger audience than the games he enjoys might appeal to. I love hearing him talk about retro games and weird atari throwbacks i would have never heard of otherwise but in the age of fortnite, and constant hype over the next new thing being what drives views and viewer retention forward, his style just doesnt work with what kinda funny was going for. Hes a much better fit on say gamescoop which has a lot of older dudes who have been in the industry for a long time. Id honestly love to hear him talk with like jeff gertsmann and some of the other bomb crew as i think they might appreciate his pention for retro games a bit more than tim and greg do.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
They're hyping up this KF 4.0 thing like crazy. I'm really starting to think like EdReedFan20 that they've been acquired or have signed some kind of partnership deal and are getting a massive influx of funding.

Yup I hope they deliever on this hype. Personally it doesn't need to live up to this hype for me to be satisfied, but I can already see the blowback if it doesn't lol.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017

OhmygoditsJROD

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
After the last week of The Morning Show I hope a change is that Tim takes over for Nick hosting it. It wont be though.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO

Yes, it's already wayyyy too much as it stands now.

JJH

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finally got around to listening to the GOTY podcast today and couldn't make it fourteen minutes through without ending it because of Jared's ramblings. I figured I'd come here and see what people were thinking and glad I wasn't the only one feeling the same about Jared. I'm to the point if Jared is on a KFGD or Gamescast I'm just going to skip.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I think could happen is a new Party Mode space. If you've noticed, the past couple Party Modes have been in makeshift area with a couch instead of the main studio space. Surely, that's not the final Party Mode set. I think they'll create a space to be a more laid back set with the couch.

Last edited:

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see Kinda Funny ever being acquired, at least in the near future. I remember on multiple occasions that Greg has stated he'd like Kinda Funny to evolve into something on the scale (not necessarily in terms of content) of IGN. I do hope that they find a way to revitalize their Kinda Funny channel because as it stands now I almost exclusively go on the Games channel for KF content. It would be interesting to see them merge the two.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see Kinda Funny ever being acquired, at least in the near future. I remember on multiple occasions that Greg has stated he'd like Kinda Funny to evolve into something on the scale (not necessarily in terms of content) of IGN. I do hope that they find a way to revitalize their Kinda Funny channel because as it stands now I almost exclusively go on the Games channel for KF content. It would be interesting to see them merge the two.

I'd like that if it meant one Patreon. I'd up my pledge for to get the early video podcasts if it was both GOG and KFGC for one price.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
I dont see how it is too much now but they definitely couldn't handle a third I would imagine.

Well for me, the best content and the best KF was when it was guerrilla style in the spare bedroom and it was like real friends just sitting around shooting the shit...

Now it's way too big for my liking and there's way too much...that and I feel like they just churn out content to get it out there. It's lost a lot of its heart and soul IMO.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Honestly, I'm extremely close to dropping Kinda Funny completely, so this Kinda Funny 4.0 stuff is pretty much make or break for me. Jared has completely ruined Gamescast for me and I completely skip any Games Daily episodes he appears on. I also want to point out that GameOverGreggy Show has been sub-par for a very long time. When was the last time there was a memorable moment on that show? I listen every week and I can barely even tell you what happened in any of the episodes from the past year.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Honestly, I'm extremely close to dropping Kinda Funny completely, so this Kinda Funny 4.0 stuff is pretty much make or break for me. Jared has completely ruined Gamescast for me and I completely skip any Games Daily episodes he appears on. I also want to point out that GameOverGreggy Show has been sub-par for a very long time. When was the last time there was a memorable moment on that show? I listen every week and I can barely even tell you what happened in any of the episodes from the past year.

I was thinking something similar today except I don't know if I'd ever drop them completely. The main show I listen to is Gamescast and I haven't enjoyed it in a while. I love Tim but I feel like he's leaned too hard into this whole "hyped" thing, Jared is Jared (borderline unlistenable) and Greg can't carry the show on his own. Actually he probably could but that's besides the point.

I wonder if they're looking at a total refresh of their shows. Like you said they need to freshen things up a bit.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping Jared gets his own show or something and Andy gets the third seat on the gamescast, that'd get me watching again after months of not bothering