visvim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If someone can somehow mod the combat out entirely and replace it with something more simple this game would be a ton better. Combat ruins it for me but everything else is stellar, even with the bugs.

Like I can't believe I am saying this but if we had simple skyrim like combat here I would be crying tears of joy

Modders plsss

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If someone can somehow mod the combat out entirely and replace it with something more simple this game would be a ton better. Combat ruins it for me but everything else is stellar, even with the bugs.

Like I can't believe I am saying this but if we had simple skyrim like combat here I would be crying tears of joy
Try archery. Once you get good at it, its very satisfying.

Its not like skyrim, it actually takes quite a bit of skill.

I've only had to use my sword a few times since tutorial.

KatiePT

Jan 25, 2018

Modders plsss

Mods are incoming for sure but right now the late game is so unbalanced you'll be one-shotting or two-shotting most enemies half-way through. A reasonably high level in Warfare, a good sword, good armour and you are a medieval terminator.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Try archery. Once you get good at it, its very satisfying.

Its not like skyrim, it actually takes quite a bit of skill.

I've only had to use my sword a few times since tutorial.

It's pretty easy to use once you get used to it, especially since there aren't really any penalties for using it at close range. In fact, it's superior to a melee weapon in many cases since you can just one-shot a lot of enemies by shooting them in the head when they run straight at you.

Swanlee

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Honestly, lockpicking seems fine to me but I seem to be in the minority.

Same thing with pickpocketing. Pickpocketing is way too easy in other games. It actually feels tense in Kingdom come.

Lock picking is fine when you pick a lock within your skill level. People just didn't bother learning how to do it and complained. Took me 3 tries on a controller on Xbox X before I figured it out

Pretty simple keep your lock pick in the gold area with the right stick and then turn both sticks in unison counter clockwise while making sure with slight adjustments you keep the right stick in the gold area when turning.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I always have trouble evading... any pointers?
The person playing in the above video has a perk that allows him to more easily dodge when not wearing any plate mail. To evade, you simply need to move away from the enemy with the same timing as a perfect block. Practice with Bernard if you are having difficulty, he has a repeatable tutorial for it iirc. It can be pretty useful if you aren't using a shield.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
9iZURZpkJrUVOYe1Qq2SM-bwgivmEcxsevgw3BKF6_M.jpg
No Questions and Answers bug fix :(

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
Ugh, I was in the middle of this side quest and chose to settle a matter with a duel to the death to avoid needless bloodshed or whatever but after I finally won against that fraker his posse attacked me, that seems like it shouldn't happen, or maybe it should cos they're jerks, I don't know, I was near dead, my horse kept throwing me off when I tried to escape, it seems impossible since there's like 10 of them. Oh well, the fight was awesome, I love these highly skilled enemies.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not trying too hard to avoid combat, but I'm not going after it either. I think I killed 3 people so far. One bandit when making my way back to Skalitz and
the two dudes who captured sir Hans.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't lady Stephanie a pretty strong woman?
married of at the age of 18 to a much older man that was impressioned and held captive for 7 years. She had to go through a lot and finally convinced the court to condemn the kidnapping. Which didn't help at all, so she had do raise money to buy off her husband on her own. That's a pretty strong woman if you ask me. She might not swing a sword, but she definitely is a fighter.

Then there is of course Theresa. She not only saves Henry's life by risking her own but also strongly cares about her community and demand from Henry to support people in need during a certain quest. She is quite a leader and people turned to her for guidance.

Then there is Alanna (?). Only an unimportant side character during a quest. But she comes off as a much more strong character then any other man during the "carrying water" quest. She is willing and able to do a man's work, while all the men are flawed, lazy, incompetent or assholes.

Then there is this girl in the monastery that fights like a lioness for the refugees, while nobody else (except one monk) gives a shit and treats the refugees as "scum". They even had to position a guard at the hospital, because the male higher ups see her as a thread (and because she hit one of them).

All together, people in KCD are often portrait as assholes. They dislike strangers, even if they are their neighbours from a close village. They are selfish and have strange ideals (from our pov). For example people refuse to take a job that involves carrying shit in a Sidequest (for double pay) and would prefer to starve and beg. Carrying shit is unchristian after all and society would push them out for doing such a (necessary) work.

What I'm trying to say: most people are terrible beings in KCD. But the longer I play the game, the more I have the feeling that people are searching for certain characteristics, while not able to see the whole picture. Women were oppressed during that period of time and still KCD portraits some of them as stronger and better human beings then most of the men. Which is a fine idea to show of that women are strong.

About the people of colour controversy. Did they exist in the 15th century, in the middle of Europe, somewhere in the province? Sure. But I still think they were rare enough for KCD not having the obligation to put them in that region. Can you even imagine how the people in KCD would treat and react to a black person? I don't think such an encounter would end good. It is a very valiant and ignorant society. Also keep in mind, KCD wasn't developed by a u.s. studio. Not every part of the world has the same cultural problems, background and ethical agreements. It maybe didn't cross their minds that including people of African heritage is necessary this days.

The lack of Jews leaves a bitter after taste in my mouth though. As far as I know, Jews were a prominent part of the medieval society and in 33h of playtime I haven't encountered one single Jewish person, in a game that tries to simulate medieval society. That's strange.

I think KCD is mostly a fine game, made by many fine people. But the director is a burden to the game studio, poison to the game and a source of bad press. His opinions and statements are very problematic. It would be best for him and the people at war horse if he would seek new challenges somewhere else.

About if Henry should also dislike the executioner: the problem here is; you are Henry and you are making that decision for him. You are even making the decision for the woman, which is also illogical, but in the end, KCD is a game made by many people and not a political manifest by one racist.
You make some fair points, and I should say that by people of colour I don't necessarily mean people from Africa, Jews as you said, anyone not from this area.

As for the female characters you mention
theresa and Stephanie both have a quest line that ends abruptly when you have sex with them. That's kind of the end of their story. Also you get a buff after having sex with Theresa called "alpha male".

Anyway, I think mostly I appreciate being able to discuss this without a complete thread meltdown, so thanks!

Oct 25, 2017
You make some fair points, and I should say that by people of colour I don't necessarily mean people from Africa, Jews as you said, anyone not from this area.

As for the female characters you mention
theresa and Stephanie both have a quest line that ends abruptly when you have sex with them. That's kind of the end of their story. Also you get a buff after having sex with Theresa called "alpha male".

Anyway, I think mostly I appreciate being able to discuss this without a complete thread meltdown, so thanks!

Just to be clear, anytime you have sex in the game, you get the Alpha Male perk. It's pretty smart to go to the bathhouse and get the +2 charisma it gives if you plan on doing a main quest mission as you are likely to have to talk your way out of something.

I reacted most likely the same way as you at first before learning that.
The culmination of the time spent with Theresa is a buff called Alpha Male?? the fuck?
but its just a mechanic. Maybe not the best naming tbf.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As for the female characters you mention theresa and Stephanie both have a quest line...

Lady Stephanie ending that way... maybe. She is married after all and you are probably just an adventure for her. A relationship between a married noble woman and the son of a blacksmith. No way that something like this would end up somewhere nice in the 15th century, it would make sense for both of them not engaging more often. Theresa on the other side? I was pretty irritated and came back for several days thinking a new dialogue option would eventually come up, but nothing. It was an unsatisfactory and abrupt ending. I had the feeling that the quest was building up a relationship and not just a one time thing. Maybe they cut the quest? Anyway, it's a dump ending and I didn't notice the alpha male buff. It's dump too, what can I say.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Lady Stephanie ending that way... maybe. She is married after all and you are probably just an adventure for her. A relationship between a married noble woman and the son of a blacksmith. No way that something like this would end up somewhere nice in the 15th century, it would make sense for both of them not engaging more often. Theresa on the other side? I was pretty irritated and came back for several days thinking a new dialogue option would eventually come up, but nothing. It was an unsatisfactory and abrupt ending. I had the feeling that the quest was building up a relationship and not just a one time thing. Maybe they cut the quest? Anyway, it's a dump ending and I didn't notice the alpha male buff. It's dump too, what can I say.
Yeah.

I'm actually surprised they didn't incorporate some sort of 'player house', perhaps that's more difficult to code than I realise, but it would be a really cool sense of progression and a good thing to sink all that Groschen into. Obviously I mean something you can choose where to build from a set amount of locations, pick and upgrade the furniture, put your wife in there (historically accurate, no? :P)

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah.

I'm actually surprised they didn't incorporate some sort of 'player house', perhaps that's more difficult to code than I realise, but it would be a really cool sense of progression and a good thing to sink all that Groschen into. Obviously I mean something you can choose where to build from a set amount of locations, pick and upgrade the furniture, put your wife in there (historically accurate, no? :P)
Mods could add this

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
The shoes cobbler perk, that makes you run faster if you repair your own shoes, it's a must.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Oh god. This Crowbcat video turned me off if I must continue to spend hours in this game.

There's spoilers about the last battle.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Oh god. This Crowbcat video turned me off if I must continue to spend hours in this game.

There's spoilers about the last battle.

There are some more interesting "skirmishes" than that one, but they are all equally janky and scripted and none of them are large scale at all. Maybe 20 ~ 30 NPCs on screen at once at a maximum.

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Yeah.

Something like this would have been great. Sitting at over 40k Groschen and I have no idea what I should spend them on.

Nov 29, 2017
Pismo Beach, CA

Modders plsss

Bud just get gud. Seriously though. If you practice you get good.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Big sized battles were probably not a realistic expectation. I think they do manage to give them some skill based on the mission structure and how you advance through the fights but of course the biggest issue is that the combat system starts to fall apart with battles of that size. The main reason IMO is the lock on system. I mean, I'm not a medieval warfare expert by any means but I would have to think the way they would have to approach large scale battles would be completely differently if they wanted something closer to realism. You would maintain a formation, probably been equipped with a spear and shield, maybe a poleaxe, unless you were an archer or part of a cavalry.

Something like this would have been great. Sitting at over 40k Groschen and I have no idea what I should spend them on.

Maybe towards the end of the game but the real problem is that the economy is messed up. Part of that is because you can simply loot everything off of a person you kill and that there are so many chests to steal expensive things from it's just really easy to become as rich as a lord in no time.

Raven117

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do people say there were no black people in Medieval Europe? This is not true and wish people would stop using this as a talking point. i.e Colin Moriarty

African Presence in Medieval Europe
Did you even read the article?

Regardless, I'm sure there were some in some of the major cities due to trade, crusades, and other endeavors. In some countryside town somewhere around Prague, probably weren't many if any. Can't see how it matters much.

Modders plsss
You just have to work with it and be patient. I hated it for awhile...but if you stick with it, it gets good.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah.

WH is just a relatively small team, KCD seems to sell fairly well though. So we'll maybe get more features in the future or in a sequel. KCD also seems to be more of a Story/Quest driven RPG and not a "do what you want" sandbox experience. Is it a perfect game? No, of course not and there are many things to improve like player housing or how about Henry getting a title eventually and having to manage his own castle. That would be cool.

Deleted member 3925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Modders plsss

The combat is great. Just practice and it'll get better.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017

Regardless, I'm sure there were some in some of the major cities due to trade, crusades, and other endeavors. In some countryside town somewhere around Prague, probably weren't many if any. Can't see how it matters much.
It matters when the writer/director is racist.

Raven117

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It matters when the writer/director is racist.
Would it matter if he weren't from a practical perspective?

I've always been a little at a loss of this "controversy" to quite honest. Dude has said racist things on twitter (obviously.). Either a person (i) separates the game from the creator and judges independently, (ii) holds the view of the head of the studio as just as important as the game itself and makes a judgement from there. Either purchase the game or don't based on whatever metric is the best for each individual person.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Would it matter if he weren't from a practical perspective?

I've always been a little at a loss of this "controversy" to quite honest. Dude has said racist things on twitter (obviously.). Either a person (i) separates the game from the creator and judges independently, (ii) holds the view of the head of the studio as just as important as the game itself and makes a judgement from there. Either purchase the game or don't based on whatever metric is the best for each individual person.
No room for any nuance or discussion? Everyone should just keep quiet and either buy the game or not?

Raven117

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No room for any nuance or discussion? Everyone should just keep quiet and either buy the game or not?
What is there to discuss under the rules of moderation? (Which are perfectly reasonable given the nature of the issue).

And I never said anything about "keeping quite." (Are you looking to pick an argument?).

Just pointing out how it all boils down.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
What is there to discuss under the rules of moderation? (Which are perfectly reasonable given the nature of the issue).
Well if you look over this page and the one before, myself and a couple of other users were having a perfectly amicable conversation about female characters and their treatment in this game.

Oct 28, 2017

The only reason it matters is when people say there are no people of color in the game because there were none in Medieval Europe.

Raven117

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well if you look over this page and the one before, myself and a couple of other users were having a perfectly amicable conversation about female characters and their treatment in this game.
I meant in terms of the controversy of the racist remarks of the lead writer/developer.

There are plenty of topics to discuss about the game.

Nov 29, 2017
Pismo Beach, CA
Why do people say there were no black people in Medieval Europe? This is not true and wish people would stop using this as a talking point. i.e Colin Moriarty

African Presence in Medieval Europe

This game takes place in 1400s Bohemia, which is nowhere near the places your article mention. Also the demographics of modern day Czech Republic show this too.

Regardless. This game is proof people want historical games. People need to kick start a game like it in a different era and area where there is more diversity. ACO is a prime example.

Nov 29, 2017
Pismo Beach, CA
Yea, really. Haven't even played this yet, but actually asking for shitty/mindless Skyrim like combat is just laughable.

It's GOTTA be better than that, right guys ?

If you want as close to realistic as possible this is it.
If you want dragons dogma this ain't it.

I personally can enjoy Dark Souls AND Skyrim AND this and Dragons Dogma.

It's like ARMA vs Call Of Duty. I like both. Some can't like both.