Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I know very well there are difference between CPUs architectures, but in my opinion they are not what make the big difference here. The 6600k at stock has max boost at 3.9Ghz, the 1700x 3.8Ghz for example, and they have a gap of over 30fps at 720p with the biggest difference in cores count.

Interpret the data however you want, but unless there are data showing the all the CPUs running at the same clock, same amount of cores, arguing about how the difference in architectures and other specs affect the performance is futile.

The game is heavily single threaded and doesn't seem to scale very well with more threads even on a 8-core it just uses 1 core fully and the rest just a bit, it never really goes above 40-50% combined (which is a bit strange in this day and age) but it seems to love a high clock rate/ipc so overclocking definitely helps a fair bit.This is also why it performs worse on HT CPUs since it likes to use a HT core for it's heavy main thread.
I tested this myself and everyone can see it for them self in the taskmanager so just look for yourself if you don't believe me.

Last edited:

PorcoLighto

Oct 25, 2017
The game is heavily single threaded and doesn't seem to scale very well with more threads even on a 8-core it just uses 1 core fully and the rest just a bit, it never really goes above 40-50% combined (which is definitely a bit strange in this day and age) but it seems to love a high clock rate/ipc so overclocking definitely helps a fair bit.This is also why it performs worse on HT CPUs since it likes to use a HT core for it's heavy main thread.
I tested this myself and everyone can see it for them self in the taskmanager so just look for yourself if you don't believe me.
I am not arguing about HT at all. I am saying that the i5 6600k has 4 physical cores, and the biggest difference between it and the 1700x is that the latter has 8 physical cores, which I believe is the biggest deciding factor for the difference in fps, and not the other differences in architecture like cache or difference in ipc.

Also, it's not that strange for a game engine (or any other type of programs) to fully utilize one main thread and other thread with lower utilizations. Not everything can be done in parallel so even utilization across all cores is extremely hard. I am a programmer and I have dealt with multi-threaded programming. It's an order of magnitude more difficult in a big game like this. The fact that it manage to scale to 8 cores is already extremely impressive.

PorcoLighto

Oct 25, 2017
But it doesn't and that's the whole point not even 4, it uses 1 core extensively and the rest almost not at all as i said.
You are saying that it barely use the other cores at all? Because the last post you said that "never goes above 40-50% combined". What you mean by "combined"? Each core at 40-50%?

Einherjer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
You are saying that it barely use the other cores at all? Because the last post you said that "never goes above 40-50% combined". What you mean by "combined"? Each core at 40-50%?

Look if you have the game just look for yourself, the game is heavily single threaded and with combined i mean all cores, that's 1 core at 100% and the rest at a few % at best there are a few minor threads but they don't really seem to matter, the game uses 1 core at 100% and that's mostly it, it doesn't really make use of more then 1 core at all which is a bit weird in this day and age as i said.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7450

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Ok guys, odds of it running alright (720p/30FPS) on the upcoming Ryzen APUs?

I'm thinking in picking up one.

PorcoLighto

Oct 25, 2017
Look if you have the game just look for yourself, the game is heavily single threaded and with combined i mean all cores that's 1 core at 100% and the rest at a few % at best there are a few minor threads but they don't really seem to matter, the game uses 1 core at 100% and that's mostly it, it doesn't really make use of more then 1 core which is a bit weird in this day and age as i said.
I can't test right now that's why I asked. And since you are the one who refuted the findings from Guru3D with your own anecdote the burden of proof falls on you. But, nothing serious as I will simply find out for myself tonight.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Hey so how is the antialiasing in this? Is it a nice silky temporal implementation, or just like an FXAA kinda thing?

Also, is it bearable at 30 FPS with a gamepad?

Einherjer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Hey so how is the antialiasing in this? Is it a nice silky temporal implementation, or just like an FXAA kinda thing?

Also, is it bearable at 30 FPS with a gamepad?

It looks ok but no clue what they are using since there are no options for it they promised them for the next patch.

RyanRad

Oct 27, 2017
I've been getting pretty consistent freezing and hitching in populated areas. It seems adjusting my graphics settings doesn't make a difference. Specially since my frame rate is smooth prior to the hitch and after the hitch.

Reading through these forums and the steam forums it seems the game is quite the CPU hog, so that must be what's holding me back.

Severance

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really interested in buying this game. I often game on my PS4 (OG), but also have a gaming laptop from a few years back. The draw to PC is the potential for mods in this game, but it's not a deal breaker if I go with PS4. Any other Era members who might have an idea on how this might run for me? My laptop specs are:

Intel i7-4720HQ 2.60Ghz
Nvidia GeForce GTX 960m
12gb RAM

I'd like to be able to run the game at 30fps on low/medium settings @ 1080p (or 900p even). If I can do that, I'm in. I feel like it's doable with my setup, but I'm not fully confident in my assessment. Anyone else have experience with similar specs?

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really interested in buying this game. I often game on my PS4 (OG), but also have a gaming laptop from a few years back. The draw to PC is the potential for mods in this game, but it's not a deal breaker if I go with PS4. Any other Era members who might have an idea on how this might run for me? My laptop specs are:

Intel i7-4720HQ 2.60Ghz
Nvidia GeForce GTX 960m
12gb RAM

I'd like to be able to run the game at 30fps on low/medium settings @ 1080p (or 900p even). If I can do that, I'm in. I feel like it's doable with my setup, but I'm not fully confident in my assessment. Anyone else have experience with similar specs?
I'm well above 30 fps on my gtx970, 1080p set up, this is on high settings. I think you'll be fine.

Einherjer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Some console commands: http://steamcommunity.com/app/379430/discussions/0/2860219962081819052/ there are actually a lot more from what i can see most of the cryengine cvars work, you can tweak pretty much every setting so there is a lot of room to optimize the settings on pc, you can put all of them in a cfg file in the main folder.

I also noticed it stopped loading the user.cfg automatically since last patch or so but if you want to apply any commands automatically at start up again just put +exec user.cfg (or however you named the cfg) in the launch options on steam or your shortcuts target if you are on GOG and it will load the settings from that cfg automatically again.

Last edited:

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
How do physics change in the highest vs the lowest setting? I'm running an i7 3770K and a GTX1080, I lock the game to 30fps with RTSS since it doesn't do near 60 unless I use far lower settings and it still hitches as it loads stuff in, while if I set everything to Ultra there are instances where it goes down to 20 so I settled for Very High but with a longer object/lod/vegetation distance than those settings have by default and I want to avoid any prominent hitches in later parts with combat and what not so I'm thinking maybe lower physics and whatever else has little visual impact in regular gameplay. I can keep similar performance and bump some things to Ultra actually, like the lighting, but maxed lighting had more obvious indoor glitching than Very High for me, lol, it was flickering all over in, for example, the trader's place in the village. Just fleeing on horseback btw, game seems damn awesome despite issues :)

Last edited:

Einherjer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
How do physics change in the highest vs the lowest setting?

I'm running an i7 3770K and a GTX1080, I set everything to Very High and lock the game to 30fps since it doesn't do 60 unless I use far lower settings and if I set everything to Ultra there are instances where it goes below 30 so I settled for Very High, however with a longer object/lod/vegetation distance than those settings have by default and I want to avoid any prominent hitches in later parts with combat and what not so I'm thinking maybe lower physics and whatever else. I can keep similar performance and bump some things to Ultra actually, like the lighting, but maxed lighting had more obvious indoor glitching than Very High, lol.

Physic doesn't really have any noticeable performance impact from what i can see the heavy hitters are mostly shader quality (controls ssao, tessellation and a few other things) and shadows, lightning controls the GI samples so it doesn't really look better in every situation just different and depending on the area different settings can produce various glitches.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
Object detail has an impact for sure. And of course he distance lod etc if your GPU is already strained from the detail...

Mondy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm running an i5 4590 with a 1070 and 16GB of RAM. I started off on 1440p but found the frame rate way too unstable, so I knocked it down to 1080 and upped some of the graphical settings to ultra. I still get some stuttering here and there which I put down to poor optimization, but otherwise it's very playable.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Any way to lessen the texture pop in? I'm running on nearly max settings with 90+ FPS but textures always take a while to load when fast travelling.

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
After some testing i'm finding Very High settings being the best for my rig(980ti/6700k), Ultra high in all the different demanding options provide no noticeable improvement visually while taking a hit on performance. Stuff like lighting, shading, shadows etc look just as good on very high while boosting fps about 5-10fps higher than on ultra. get a solid 60+fps in the open world and small villages with my lowest drops being in the low mid 40's to low 50's in the really demanding areas with lots of npcs/light sources.

Einherjer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Any way to lessen the texture pop in? I'm running on nearly max settings with 90+ FPS but textures always take a while to load when fast travelling.

Try r_TexturesStreamingMipBias -3 it increases the distance at which mipmaps are loaded, you can put it directly in the launch options with +r_TexturesStreamingMipBias -3 or in the user.cfg which you need to load with +exec user.cfg in the launch options as i wrote above.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, ok, got a few more realtime cutscenes, and even with Lighting, Shadow and Shader on Medium, I still had framedrops, and I'm playing at 30fps. I just give up on getting a good framerate on them, most cutscenes seem to be prerendered anyway. Just turned up the settings again and I'll have to deal with shitty framerate in cutscenes.

Hopefully they can improve cutscene performance with a patch.

EDIT: Looked around a bit, and people are saying the cutscene framerate issue is because of Borderless mode. Well, that's a problem. In Fullscreen mode I get terrible tearing at 30fps, even forcing adaptive vsync half refresh rate in Nvidia Control Panel. Maybe it would eliminate tearing if I used the game's Vsync and the maxframerate command, but that will most likely deliver the 30fps with awful framepacing.

Last edited:

GoodGamerGuy

Nov 15, 2017
Nvidia 1080 with 6700k in medium settings gets me 25 to 30 fps in Castle at night with rain.
Really not happy with it

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
Nvidia 1080 with 6700k in medium settings gets me 25 to 30 fps in Castle at night with rain.
Really not happy with it
That's the only place it gets that bad. You'll easily get more afterwards. I have the same hardware, and I play at 3440x1440 with everything, except shadows and shaders, on high/very high. I get 45-70 depending on the area.

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone elses framerate plummet to single digits during the cutscene that plays when you report to radzig about his stolen sword, shit is horrible even when i lower everything down

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
So what IS the deal with the framerate tanking at night with torches out? I would figure the framerate would be a bit better since it doesn't have the sun casting shadows over everything, but apparently not? It's especially bad at night, with torches, in the rain, and in a town/village.

Anyone elses framerate plummet to single digits during the cutscene that plays when you report to radzig about his stolen sword, shit is horrible even when i lower everything down
Cutscenes in general are hit VERY hard in the framerate department. I haven't seen single digits, but it often dips into the 20s at times.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Is this still in the game?

The GI is really something else. I have seen some strange (very minor) artifacts to the lighting in some areas which made me think it was SVOGI (a dappled spottiness around the sunlight coming in through a small window).

B33A654658DADC77FFE353799234223A07A556E9

dragn

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
cant get 1/2 vsync with nvidia inspector to work

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
So what IS the deal with the framerate tanking at night with torches out? I would figure the framerate would be a bit better since it doesn't have the sun casting shadows over everything, but apparently not? It's especially bad at night, with torches, in the rain, and in a town/village.

Cutscenes in general are hit VERY hard in the framerate department. I haven't seen single digits, but it often dips into the 20s at times.

Yeah but every previous cutscene for me dropped about down to the 40's at worse

Either way i found the culprit, for some reason the game reverted to borderless window which runs worse than fullscreen so switching back to fullscreen and the cutscene ran properly

Oct 25, 2017
cant get 1/2 vsync with nvidia inspector to work
It works for me if I change to Borderless and then back to Fullscreen, the framerate gets locked to 30 without RTSS. But I still get a lot of tearing, so it didn't really help me at all.

So I disabled it and I'm just using RTSS + in-game Borderless setting to get 30fps with good framepacing and triple buffering. The issue is that Borderless apparently causes heavy framerate drops in realtime cutscenes, so you have to Alt Enter every time an in-game cutscene starts, and then alt enter again.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
The GI is really something else. I have seen some strange (very minor) artifacts to the lighting in some areas which made me think it was SVOGI (a dappled spottiness around the sunlight coming in through a small window).

B33A654658DADC77FFE353799234223A07A556E9
That's extremely impressive. Especially if it's all real-time.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hi era, just bought the game (couldn't resist). It's downloading now. What do I need to do to get 60 fps @ 1440p on a GTX 1080?
What settings are the FPS killers?

White Wolf

Oct 27, 2017
You could play this game with lowest settings (including cfg tweaks) and still get stutters/frame drops. Really disappointing.

Einherjer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
You could play this game with lowest settings (including cfg tweaks) and still get stutters/frame drops. Really disappointing.

Nothing can be done about that atm, we just have to wait for patches and hope they manage to optimize the game, considering how many bugs and technical issues this game still has i think optimization was probably their least concern before release.

Oct 25, 2017
I did some testing with Fullscreen vs Borderless, and switching from Fullscreen to Borderless I can lose as much as 20fps, but if I just switch back to Fullscreen and then back to Borderless, that difference is reduced to around 1fps, in the exact same spot.

So I'm imagining that what happens is that in the transition to a cutscene we get the borked version of Borderless I can see the first time I switch. But since it doesn't appear to be inherent to Borderless mode, as I can get rid of that difference by switching again, it should be fixable.