• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How will KH3 do on Metacritic?

• 95-100

Votes: 26 2.4%
  • 90-94

Votes: 149 13.7%
  • 85-89

Votes: 515 47.5%
  • 80-84

Votes: 313 28.9%
  • 75-79

Votes: 81 7.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 21, 2018
Kingdom Hearts 3 is roughly two weeks away and will be releasing worldwide on Tuesday January 29. I don't know when the review embargo lifts but I thought we could take a chance to predict its metacritic or guess what range it may fall into. For me personally, I think it will be somewhere from 84 to 86 based on the previews many of us have seen and based on the many clips of gameplay out there. I feel like it will be good but there are lots of things potentially holding it back including the potentially confusing story and there may be some technical issues considering that this is the first time the studio is using Unreal Engine 4 to develop. I think it will still be fun though, but remember this thread is about predicting metacritic which doesn't always line up with how fans feel. Sometimes the games are remembered as over rated (BotW) and sometimes they are underrated (Doom). Here is a video I found of a someone predicting an 84 for the game so what do you think?:

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
80-84

Seems reasonable enough. Games Media will dislike the story as expected but praise its production values, gameplay variety, Disney recreations ect.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
KH was 85 and KH2 was 87. I think it would be 89-90, but if the story is too far gone mid 80s.

PurgeVIII

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
United States
Between 80 and 85, which is respectable. Honestly I think the longtime KH fans are gonna be the ones to critique the game the most.

ShroudOfFate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
I'm thinking probably 86. I think critics will like it generally, but the long wait will have built up expectations it can't meet for some.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I'm gonna be bold and go for high 70s. The story is going to be a huge negative for a good chunk of the reviewers who are not Kingdom Hearts fans. Some people who have dove deep into spoilers are saying that the gameplay in KH3 is actually worse than that of KH2, which was over a decade ago. I expect gameplay to be a point of controversy among reviewers. Reviewers will praise the high production values and the sheer insanity of the Disney crossover, though. Those positive elements will keep KH3 from dipping below 70, but I think some potential red flags will stop Kingdom Hearts 3 from reaching the 80s range.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Low 80's. I think the plot and certain (very small) gameplay spoilers are really going to hurt it.

There is a huge lack of combat focused side content. It's almost all mini games and gummi ship stuff.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Would have guessed around 86 but I heard some rambling about how rushed the game feels based on the leaked videos.
Also big wide open empty spaces like they started doing it for BbS can negatively impact the score.

OP
OP
AnUnbiasedGamer
Mar 21, 2018
BotW was overrated?

What?

Low 80's probably in terms of the score. In it for the Disney stuff, but I'm sure this rubbish about anime in black coats will drag the score down.
I don't think it was over rated but don't ask many of the hardcore zelda fans. That is just a common response I hear ("it's overrated") in any thread it comes up in. BTW, the video I linked mentions something similar to this about the story being a possible negative and never being able to fill the many plot holes it will have to fill. I guess we will have to see if director Nomura did his homework

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
BotW was overrated?

What?

Low 80's probably in terms of the score. In it for the Disney stuff, but I'm sure this rubbish about anime in black coats will drag the score down.

Just curious. This is like the eighth KH game? Why would you be in for the Disney stuff but not the anime Organization stuff? They're both cringy af but I'm just curious why one is worse than the other for you.

OP
OP
AnUnbiasedGamer
Mar 21, 2018
Just curious. This is like the eighth KH game? Why would you be in for the Disney stuff but not the anime Organization stuff? They're both cringy af but I'm just curious why one is worse than the other for you.

In my opinion, I think that KH3 is a mainline entry and most of the fans or critics who play KH3 may or may not have played all of the other entries so for them in this day and age who are reviewing it simply because its a big release, it may seem cheesy.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The spoiler thread shouldn't be used as prediction for KH III score.

WarAdept

Oct 25, 2017
Australia

It still is a marvel to me how Disney actually signed off on this deal to this day. Don't know what the thought process was, but it ended up working in the end.

I grew up on Disney. To explore the worlds, interact with the characters and play with them. It triggers a sense of wonder for me despite being much older now. Hearing the voices, the silly gags that Disney characters are known to get into, I find that fun.

But it's clear that all that stuff has taken a backburner since KH2. KH3 has got me interested again because there's a lot of new Disney content in it.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Low 80's. I think the plot and certain (very small) gameplay spoilers are really going to hurt it.

There is a huge lack of combat focused side content. It's almost all mini games and gummi ship stuff.

Do we actually know this? I haven't been following too closely, but isn't it just one person saying this? Isn't it possible they just haven't found anything?

I'm thinking in the 85-89 range like kh2 before it personally. Do we have the day the embargo lifts?

OP
OP
AnUnbiasedGamer
Mar 21, 2018
I really like how realistic some of these responses are. I'm really happy many of you are seeing this game without the hype and 13 years of nostalgia surrounding it. I am not saying it will be bad, it just seems like there are some well thought out responses here.

Status
Not open for further replies.