• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How will KH3 do on Metacritic?

• 95-100

Votes: 26 2.4%
  • 90-94

Votes: 149 13.7%
  • 85-89

Votes: 515 47.5%
  • 80-84

Votes: 313 28.9%
  • 75-79

Votes: 81 7.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
85, as per the norm for the series, and any JRPG with divisive opinions. As people have noted the nostalgia, gameplay and production values will boost it.

I'm inclined to give it a slight boost because its the final entry of this saga and these always tend to go over well if the ending is sufficiently satisfying, but I'll play it on the safe side.

It's almost assuredly a 90+ for me.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017

This is taking into account all the leaks, genuinely think this will be a hit among critics.

Numbered KH games have always done well critically. It's been an upward climb.

z9jjAtt.png

GjnC1ri.png

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Without spoiling any of the story, can someone give me an idea of what's so bad in the spoiler thread?

Anyway, not a single KH has hit 90, not even 2, so I'm expecting mid to low 80s because the story is gonna be impenetrable without keeping up to date.

That's why I've spent this month playing though the entire series, so I can have a somewhat decent understanding.
I might make a big LTTP soon, as I'm almost done.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Lower 80's.

Without spoiling any of the story, can someone give me an idea of what's so bad in the spoiler thread?
I exited the thread a week or two ago, but the last time I was in it, people were just unhappy that the combat seems to be "floaty" and more like, say, Birth By Sleep rather than KH2FM. There were also concerns that there may not be much of the kinds of post-game content that people have come to expect from the series, though I don't think that's actually set in stone for sure necessarily.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
Feels like a mid-80s game unless it's way more amazing than previews have made it look.

I like the series, but only managed to get into it enough for 1, 2, and BBS to completion.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It still is a marvel to me how Disney actually signed off on this deal to this day. Don't know what the thought process was, but it ended up working in the end.

I grew up on Disney. To explore the worlds, interact with the characters and play with them. It triggers a sense of wonder for me despite being much older now. Hearing the voices, the silly gags that Disney characters are known to get into, I find that fun.

But it's clear that all that stuff has taken a backburner since KH2. KH3 has got me interested again because there's a lot of new Disney content in it.

BBS and DDD have plenty of Disney stuff, no? I always felt the Disney stuff the weakest part of the game. Not that the Organization stuff is strong but it's at least sincere. I have nightmares of that Tarzan world in the first game. Anyway appreciate the response!

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking mid 80s. Story isn't going to turn many heads, and it likely isn't kind to players unfamiliar to the wacky story so far.
Coupled with the usual, expected Kingdom Hearts combat, and that's the highest I could see it reviewing.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Some people losing their mind over some walls glowing. Others are mad it doesnt have as many keyblades as kh2. There doesnt seem to be non-heartless superboss. Postgame is lacking compared to kh2 fm. no optional worlds. some spells have been replaced with others. Some worlds are smaller than they used to be. Others are too big.

WarAdept

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
BBS and DDD have plenty of Disney stuff, no? I always felt the Disney stuff the weakest part of the game. Not that the Organization stuff is strong but it's at least sincere. I have nightmares of that Tarzan world in the first game. Anyway appreciate the response!

That's the problem with the Organisation stuff for me. It's presented as sincere so I need to take it seriously. But I can't take it seriously because it's all one giant convoluted mess of buzzwords, terminologies and hidden meanings that spans over a decade of games on multiple consoles.

You want me to make sense of this, because this happened here, but it really was a catalyst of this which then looped around to create this, that and those which in turn became more or less Sora #7?

Just no.

I still don't know what the fuck Kingdom Hearts even is. It's a door in KH1? It's a moon shaped heart in KH2? It's an allegory for something? And how is one supposed to rule the world with it?

OP
OP
AnUnbiasedGamer
Mar 21, 2018
79 since everybody is going to remember how much of an acquired taste Kingdom Hearts is.
Yeah but just when another Organization member shows up to make things confusing, another Disney character shows up to make things relatable. But I guess you have to be OK with that happening in the first place and you have to also get used to the combat system which I remember took me some time with KH1 and KH2. Yeah, never mind, its an acquired taste, lol.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
80-84

It won't hit 90+ because reviewers probably played KH1&2 and then will jump straight to 3.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
-Game feels rushed (dunno how. Just read that the leaker said it "felt" rushed. I didn't delve further)
-Gameplay isn't as good as 2
Do we know whether critical mode does more than increasing boss health and damage taken by the player like the last 2 games?

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
So lemme get this straight, people are bitching in the spoiler thread because
Combat is like BBS and there's not a lot of optional stuff?
Hah, nobody but the most diehards are gonna care.
In fact, I enjoyed BBSs combat quite a lot. Just remove the command deck and I'm pretty happy.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's too weaby for a 95 and higher but it's popular and looks expensive enough for at least a 90 or 91. I'll say 91.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
-Game feels rushed (dunno how. Just read that the leaker said it "felt" rushed. I didn't delve further)
-Gameplay isn't as good as 2

Didn't see leaks but I can sort of see both happening.
In the first point, it could be the issue of having way too many plot threads in the game. There are dozens of characters that need resolution in this game.
The second sounds like the usual combat complains again, but I don't think reviewers are going to as nitpicky about it.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but just when another Organization member shows up to make things confusing, another Disney character shows up to make things relatable. But I guess you have to be OK with that happening in the first place and you have to also get used to the combat system which I remember took me some time with KH1 and KH2. Yeah, never mind, its an acquired taste, lol.
Also the majority of the reviewers are going to be completely lost either way.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
It seems that even people who saw the leaks can't come to a 100% agreement but it does seem like a lot of them think it will be in the lower 80s although you seem more positive.
I think when it's all said and done, the game will hover between the 88-90 region.

The scale of the worlds in the game are absolutely insane and from what the leaker has shown us, Nomura and the gang have done a good job accurately capturing the feel of the Disney movies. IMO, this is what most people playing the game are here for. The original worlds are a lot more hit and miss and even maybe 'rushed' but like I said, the spectacle is in the Disney stuff and they've hit it out of the park in that regard.

Gameplay does look weaker than KH2FM but honestly I want the game in my hands first before coming to a final judgement. At first I thought the side content stuff only boiled down to just minigames but knowing there's over a dozen battle portals with one of them containing a secret boss has kind of put my worries to bed (for now anyways, we're still 2 weeks out). Still need some more post-game stuff like a non-heartless secret boss.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AnUnbiasedGamer
Mar 21, 2018
Some people losing their mind over some walls glowing. Others are mad it doesnt have as many keyblades as kh2. There doesnt seem to be non-heartless superboss. Postgame is lacking compared to kh2 fm. no optional worlds. some spells have been replaced with others. Some worlds are smaller than they used to be. Others are too big.
If some of this is true, I can see the concern. Just like many other modern games, they cut back on the number of things because the cost of making each thing (such as animation, a new world to visit, a new keyblade to use) is too high. RDR2 was the last game I played that actually had the amount of content that games from the PS2 and PS3 era had without sacrificing quality but I doubt Square Enix would be willing to put that commitment into this game although I hope I'm wrong and I hope FFXV was not a sign of things to come from SE. There better not be any left over DLC filling us in later.

Feb 4, 2018
So lemme get this straight, people are bitching in the spoiler thread because
Combat is like BBS and there's not a lot of optional stuff?
Hah, nobody but the most diehards are gonna care.
In fact, I enjoyed BBSs combat quite a lot. Just remove the command deck and I'm pretty happy.
Wow everyone who's seen the leaks has been so pessimistic but this is literally the best news.

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the Spoiler Thread at this moment is a very good way to judge content or story in any truly meaningful way. Aside from gameplay snippets, we're talking about one leaker who constantly flipflops and seems to be pretty terrible at the game overall. Dude also says definitive stuff before actually making sure it's true. The story of what this game has in terms of side content has changed since he first talked about it.

Also, you can't get a good read on if the story is decent based on one person given the range of opinions about KH.

Once more than one person has the game and more substantial content like cutscenes start popping up I think people will get a better grasp on this.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't know what the fuck Kingdom Hearts even is. It's a door in KH1? It's a moon shaped heart in KH2? It's an allegory for something? And how is one supposed to rule the world with it?

Dunno if you wanted an actual answer to this. I believe it's talked about in the ansem reports in kh1, but kingdom hearts is basically supposed to be the source of all hearts. As far as how it relates to the baddies, it's also a source of near limitless power and knowledge that can potentially be tapped into.

In most of the games it's fake or not really the "complete" kingdom hearts. In 1, I believe it's made up of the light of the worlds the heartless had devoured which is why it's in the realm of darkness and guarded by the door at the end of the world.

The moon one was created by the hearts xemnas had collected from the hearts Sora(and Roxas/xion) had set free.

The "real/complete" kingdom hearts is supposed to come about when 7 pieces of light go against 13 pieces of darkness, which should be what kh3 will focus on.

ULTROS!

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
AnUnbiasedGamer
Mar 21, 2018
I don't think the Spoiler Thread at this moment is a very good way to judge content or story in any truly meaningful way. Aside from gameplay snippets, we're talking about one leaker who constantly flipflops and seems to be pretty terrible at the game overall. Dude also says definitive stuff before actually making sure it's true. The story of what this game has in terms of side content has changed since he first talked about it.

You can't get a good read on if the story is decent based on one person given the range of opinions about KH.
That's true. One person can't represent the entire KH3 community. Although he shouldn't be completely ignored either given that they are one of the few people who have access to the final game. Nonetheless, I think the game has years of hype behind it and really its going to be perceived as amazing and worth the wait or mediocre by its hardcore fans regardless of its score. I mean look at BotW or look at Doom or even look at FFXV.

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If you don't mind me asking, what's wrong with the story? I'm used to the KH convoluted nonsense though and I find KH2 and BbS' stories fine. 3D on the other hand was kinda wack.

Feel free to PM me since this is a separate issue, you can tell me how the structure of the story is or what makes it bad, no direct story spoilers though haha.

The leaker was disappointed with the ending. That's it. They aren't spoiling anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.