• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When do you think KH4 comes out?

Votes: 10 2.9%

Votes: 127 36.8%

Votes: 104 30.1%

Votes: 39 11.3%

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • 20XX

Votes: 43 12.5%

• Total voters

HemoGoblin

Nov 3, 2017
Interesting how they keep doing these super vertical slice-esque sequences for the major title reveals like with kh3. They're cool, but a little frustrating whenever the actual gameplay is never that dynamic.

I'm interested though, I'm hopeful this can tell a more coherent story since they mostly wrapped up the spin off plots… but I know there's a to of mobile stuff I don't pay attention to so that probably won't be the case

HemoGoblin

Nov 3, 2017
It's kind of impressive that the ff7 remake team seems to have so much more faith than the kh team.

Like wasn't the ff7 remake revealed in 2015 and was completely rebooted when square took over from cyber connect? Yet it came out just a year after kh3 which was announced in 2013. I feel like people may be being too optimistic that part two could be next year. But it also seems like those games are just more efficient for develop. Which I suppose makes sense given it's a remake, and I'm sure working with Disney is very difficult.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
You know what? I think Nomura is full of crap about him having to decide between doing KH4 and something else. It was always going to be KH4 with the rampant sequel teasing in KH3. I´d go as far to say that the focus on seeding the plot lines for the next game made KH3 seem that much more of a mess with its own plot since they were clearly ready to move on to KH4 as fast as they could. And they did just that.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
It's kind of impressive that the ff7 remake team seems to have so much more faith than the kh team.

Like wasn't the ff7 remake revealed in 2015 and was completely rebooted when square took over from cyber connect? Yet it came out just a year after kh3 which was announced in 2013. I feel like people may be being too optimistic that part two could be next year. But it also seems like those games are just more efficient for develop. Which I suppose makes sense given it's a remake, and I'm sure working with Disney is very difficult.
KH3's dev team was the Osaka Team which admitetely didn't have much experience compared to other SE internal devs as they only released games on portable consoles.
KH3 was actually their first big console game and fact alone raises somes challenges for the team.
I hope with the experience they've gained, now they'll be more capable in delivering a AAA game on next-gen consoles.

Of course all of the above are valid if indeed the Osaka team is working on KH4 which I'm not sure if it's confirmed or not.
Xenosaga I think you've posted something a few days ago with regards to that info or I'm remembering correctly?

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
KH3's dev team was the Osaka Team which admitetely didn't have much experience compared to other SE internal devs as they only released games on portable consoles.
KH3 was actually their first big console game and fact alone raises somes challenges for the team.
I hope with the experience they've gained, now they'll be more capable in delivering a AAA game on next-gen consoles.

Of course all of the above are valid if indeed the Osaka team is working on KH4 which I'm not sure if it's confirmed or not.
Xenosaga I think you've posted something a few days ago with regards to that info or I'm remembering correctly?
yeah they confirmed Osaka team is working on KH4.

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017

i mean KH3 also had to undergo a reset of dev when they had to change engines so it also had some what of a rocky start as well.

also it does need to be brought up that FF7R was alot more limited in scope since it was covering a pretty small part of the game is was based on and going further part 2 scope should be even bigger since it's getting into the open exploration of FF7 so it's hard to tell how much that will effect dev times

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting how they keep doing these super vertical slice-esque sequences for the major title reveals like with kh3. They're cool, but a little frustrating whenever the actual gameplay is never that dynamic.
it helps that they're reusing a lot of established systems here. unlike the luminous footage of KH3 which was all fake, this is actual gameplay in a new environment with a cinematic camera

Sep 5, 2021
Rime from announcement to release of main KH titles (twitter @ligero_miguel):

j2x2ealfr4t81.jpg

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
It's become a tradition now that when a new KH game is announced (hell I would any SE game for that matter) meme posts start piling up, joking about how may years it's gonna take.

So I think it's a good time to post the following tweet in order to have an overall perspective on how long it actually takes for a KH game to be released.

The problem is SE last-gen had several high-profile examples of games at least being perceived as being announced too early and having extended development issues - FFXV, FF7R, KH3...shit I'd even count Avengers in that pile. And that perception is going to take a long while to shake off, unfortunately. They're gonna need a significant string of major releases coming out relatively on time to do that.

I do legit think they've gotten over the dev hurdles messing them up last time, so it's more a manner of not if but when.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017

There might be bias due to KH3 being a fairly divisive title, while FF7R has had much more uniform praise (even if it definitely has a fair share lf criticism too). So people are ready to give the latter team more slack.

PeterThePanda

Jun 10, 2020
Spain
You know what? I think Nomura is full of crap about him having to decide between doing KH4 and something else. It was always going to be KH4 with the rampant sequel teasing in KH3. I´d go as far to say that the focus on seeding the plot lines for the next game made KH3 seem that much more of a mess with its own plot since they were clearly ready to move on to KH4 as fast as they could. And they did just that.
I mean, coming from his and Yasues mouth, they think of Verum Rex as a whole different game instead of being part of a Kingdom Hearts main title.

What that means exactly in terms of connection, I don't know, but they have been as clear as they can about it.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm very hazy on the gameplay of everything before 3, but was it always this much of a cluster fuck as in KH3? I don't recall every 5 seconds summing Pegasus, tea cups, gun shooting fps etc that obstruct the screen and camera to the point of pure chaos in a bad way.

If KH3 is the only one that went deep into this shit I hope they don't redo it for 4. I was in twilight town forest in KH3 last night and did Pegasus horse ride shit and the pirate ship, and with how tight the area is, the trees, and shit camera to begin with , it was just a disaster.

I'm all for big cool spells and a summon once in a while but this shit makes the game just mashy and dumb in a bad way. I don't recall in Kh1&2 this being a thing. It felt like it had a great tempo between combat, spells, etc.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm very hazy on the gameplay of everything before 3, but was it always this much of a cluster fuck as in KH3? I don't recall every 5 seconds summing Pegasus, tea cups, gun shooting fps etc that obstruct the screen and camera to the point of pure chaos in a bad way.

If KH3 is the only one that went deep into this shit I hope they don't redo it for 4. I was in twilight town forest in KH3 last night and did Pegasus horse ride shit and the pirate ship, and with how tight the area is, the trees, and shit camera to begin with , it was just a disaster.

I'm all for big cool spells and a summon once in a while but this shit makes the game just mashy and dumb in a bad way. I don't recall in Kh1&2 this being a thing. It felt like it had a great tempo between combat, spells, etc.

The Attraction Flows are an entirely new system for KH3, and a pretty universally unpopular one, so I don't expect them to come back.

Virtually all of the other systems appeared in KH2, BBS, or Dream Drop Distance.

Tsumami

Feb 3, 2022
Attraction Flows sucked but you could turn them off and I thought that turning them off made the gameplay much better. IDK if you could always turn it off or if it was only an addition with the DLC but I only played 3 after the DLC came out so I thought the gameplay overall felt pretty good, and the DLC superbosses are some of the best combat in the entire series, even beating 2FM

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Attraction Flows sucked but you could turn them off and I thought that turning them off made the gameplay much better. IDK if you could always turn it off or if it was only an addition with the DLC but I only played 3 after the DLC came out so I thought the gameplay overall felt pretty good, and the DLC superbosses are some of the best combat in the entire series, even beating 2FM
It was an addition with the Critical Mode update.

jtmmachine

Nov 2, 2020
Honestly would be down with a 3 + Re:Mind Complete Package for no other reason than a chance to properly implement the post-release abilities that sped up combat so that you learn them naturally throughout the story like previous Final Mix abilities VS getting them all at the end

Also maybe making the Attraction Flow disabling ability available in all modes, not just Critical

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Already started the game on hard difficulty, but a regular adventure when I made my decisions. Will it make the game harder, and am I able to change it? If I can change it should I dial the difficulty down to normal?
You will have to start from the beginning on Critical. The game will be harder yeah, you won't be able to lower the difficulty mid-game IIRC.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Honestly would be down with a 3 + Re:Mind Complete Package for no other reason than a chance to properly implement the post-release abilities that sped up combat so that you learn them naturally throughout the story like previous Final Mix abilities VS getting them all at the end
Something like this would be great. There's a PC mod that does that (and also has a Final Mix palette mod for Heartless & Unversed) and it really feels like a Final Mix.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
I really don't understand why this happened with KH3 since the voice director seems to be the same?
I even think it's same voice director who did FF7R, and I think FF7R's English VA was received much better than KH3.

Personally I play JP voice version these days so I don't really know much about English voice post-KH2 but some of the clips I saw of KH3 Riku was terrible...
the voice direction in KH3 and Dissidia: NT was dire

FFXV and FF7 remake had pretty decent voice acting so it makes KH3 and Dissidia NT look even weirder

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
I really don't understand why this happened with KH3 since the voice director seems to be the same?
I even think it's same voice director who did FF7R, and I think FF7R's English VA was received much better than KH3.

Personally I play JP voice version these days so I don't really know much about English voice post-KH2 but some of the clips I saw of KH3 Riku was terrible...
Maybe there is just something about the overall localization direction that KH gets, because the english VO and scripts have felt cheap, and just... off for a while. It just feels carelessly done at times, like the story and scenes are trying to sell drama that the english localization is just not equipped to sell. The actual English localization staff between FFVIIR and KH3 are different. Not sure about the voice directors.

I get the impression that the localization staff are like "It's a game with Disney characters and cartoons! Everyone should sound like a cartoon character! Low stakes!" And like, of course, I get it; I get that it's Kingdom Hearts - the material is just kind of goofy, and you can only make a game with a big focus on Disney wish fulfillment so serious, but man there are so many scenes in the recent KH games that just feel like the direction was abysmal. Instances of bizarre over-acting, actors seeming really checked out, conversational dialogue being directed in a way that it feels like the characters aren't really talking to each other, etc.

I think comparing it to FFVIIR is very fair - it's a Nomura project with a good localization, but is still very hammy anime with lots of melodrama. It works. It sells the material.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Just for the technical aspects of things, if they get the game to run in the same vein as FF7R intergrade on PS5, then that's the best i can possibly wish for. Solid 4k 30fps mode and a great 60fps option. These are different teams but i can hope they get to manage a base line for their internal studios at least.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I love and played all console KH and I actually am very interested in the story.
But then I saw a twitter convos about characters I never heard, and now I'm very anxious about KH 4 requiring people to play/watch the mobile games cutscenes to understand who are all those new people, oh boy I sure hope there'll be at least summary if 4 is not the start of a new saga like Nomura promised.
It is frustrating because like I said I'm very into the story, and I care about what is happening, not everyone has the time to go through multiple live service mobile game (before they go out of service) to be able to understand the next big console game.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love and played all console KH and I actually am very interested in the story.
But then I saw a twitter convos about characters I never heard, and now I'm very anxious about KH 4 requiring people to play/watch the mobile games cutscenes to understand who are all those new people, oh boy I sure hope there'll be at least summary if 4 is not the start of a new saga like Nomura promised.
It is frustrating because like I said I'm very into the story, and I care about what is happening, not everyone has the time to go through multiple live service mobile game (before they go out of service) to be able to understand the next big console game.
with any luck, they'll reintroduce the characters and ease people into without needing a huge summary or video

lone_stranger

Aug 24, 2018
I'm going to play the new mobile game out of obligation since Nomura refuses to let any entry be a self-contained thing that isn't essential for overall understanding. I'm not really looking forward to it, but I'm glad the graphics at least resemble KH3 instead of the previous mobile entries. I've watched hours of summaries for the mobile games, but still somehow missed some critical stuff. I don't remember Marluxia's sister at all in any of the videos that came with the collections.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Start of a new saga doesn't mean everything from the previous saga is discarded.

Just watch the cutscenes imo.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is why a lot of people were upset with KH3. It wasn't a conclusion because that was never the intention. It was the end of the Dark Seeker Saga, but that doesn't mean Nomura "promised" every plot thread would end with 3 and start with 4. Just like how a new season of a show doesn't just forget everything that came before it.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
with any luck, they'll reintroduce the characters and ease people into without needing a huge summary or video
You know, they've quite literally never done this for KH....... 😰

That's how we ended up with what was supposed to be an incredibly sweet Yoko Taro esque moment falling flat on its face and feeling like it came out of nowhere to anyone who wasn't a diehard fan who'd been playing a mobile game.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Nomura interview with famitsu just dropped

few information on KH4

-the room Sora wakes up is going to be sort of his base in the early parts.
-the interior in his room will probably change in the final game since right now there isn't much stuff in there.
-Shibuya is part of Quadratum.
-Shibuya in Quadtratum is not related to Shibuya in TWEWY. No connections with TWEWY or Stranger of Paradise.
-the drill part during the combat is basically reaction command from KH2
-They brought back reaction command because after KH3 a lot of fans wanted it back
-the 4th "build command" is the new concept "scrap&build" The concept of destruction and reconstruction. More on this will be revealed later
-The male voice narration during KH4 (and ML) trailer is a character we already know, but first time hearing the voice. (I think Nomura said at the event that it's not Brain)

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields

few information on KH4

-the interior in his room will probably change in the final game since right now there isn't much stuff in there.
-Shibuya in Quadtratum is not related to Shibuya in TWEWY. No connections with TWEWY or Stranger of Paradise.
-They brought back reaction command because after KH3 a lot of fans wanted it back
-the 4th "build command" is the new concept "scrap&build" The concept of destruction and reconstruction. More on this will be revealed later
-The male voice narration during KH4 (and ML) trailer is a character we already know, but first time hearing the voice. (I think Nomura said at the event that it's not Brain)
Why specifically state SoP...

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Why specifically state SoP...
People on Twitter and whatnot constantly try and connect any game Nomura is involved in with KH. It's also a game he was most recently involved with, and (even jokingly) people have wondered if Jack will be in KH4. I don't fault him for saying SoP specifically.

Thanks for the translations Xenosaga! I thought the interview was a couple of weeks away so it's nice to get a bit more info now :D

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017

Lol.. I was about to mention Brain and then I saw the note in parenthesis....

Honestly I can't think of any other male KH characters who we haven't heard their voice yet in some form or another...

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

few information on KH4

Who the hell haven't we heard voiced? All the male dandelion leaders are voiced (Brain excluded). We've heard all of the Foretellers and the MoM. All I can think of is one of Yozora's bootleg-Noctis crew or someone new entirely like one of the five remaining darknesses.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Off the top of my head there's Sigurd, Odin, Baldr, Hermod, Bragi, and Yozora's friends.
The main reason I disregarded the DR crew is because Nomura stated before that DR isn't established to tease future events.

www.dualshockers.com

Kingdom Hearts: Tetsuya Nomura On The Future Of The Series, Foreshadowing, Shelved PS3, PS Vita Game Projects, Music And Yoko Shimomura

In the new Melody of Memory interview from Dengeki, Tetsuya Nomura also revealed his favorite song in the Kingdom Hearts series so far.

The way I took it is that it might not be self contained, but won't have major implications on The Lost Master Arc/Saga.

I guess Darkness is a possibility?
The main Darkness we know of is heavily hinted to just be Vanitas, so probably not him. There are the other 5 darknesses we don't know much about though.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
People on Twitter and whatnot constantly try and connect any game Nomura is involved in with KH. It's also a game he was most recently involved with, and (even jokingly) people have wondered if Jack will be in KH4. I don't fault him for saying SoP specifically.

Thanks for the translations Xenosaga! I thought the interview was a couple of weeks away so it's nice to get a bit more info now :D
They say full interview will be out in famtsu releasing 2 weeks later. Although I don't really expect that much new info in the full version..

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
The main reason I disregarded the DR crew is because Nomura stated before that DR isn't established to tease future events.

www.dualshockers.com

Kingdom Hearts: Tetsuya Nomura On The Future Of The Series, Foreshadowing, Shelved PS3, PS Vita Game Projects, Music And Yoko Shimomura

In the new Melody of Memory interview from Dengeki, Tetsuya Nomura also revealed his favorite song in the Kingdom Hearts series so far.

The way I took it is that it might not be self contained, but won't have major implications on The Lost Master Arc/Saga.

The main Darkness we know of is hinted to just be Vanitas, so probably not him. There are the other 5 darknesses we don't know much about though.
IIRC Nomura also said that KHX wouldn't have story or be canon or something and that quickly got thrown out the window so I wouldn't trust him with what he said about DR, especially since it was delayed until freaking August due to the scope of the game increasing.

But that still leaves Sigurd and Yozora's friends, the latter of which I can't imagine speaking the lines in the trailer (especially since Missing-Link is concerned)..... so Sigurd.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017

www.dualshockers.com

The main Darkness we know of is heavily hinted to just be Vanitas, so probably not him. There are the other 5 darknesses we don't know much about though.
is it safe to assume the Vanitas is the Darkness that was doing all the talking in UX?

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
They say full interview will be out in famtsu releasing 2 weeks later. Although I don't really expect that much new info in the full version..
Ah I see, so this is just a preview.

I wish they'd touch on the world selection and early dev comments aha. The rumour was world selection was happening in November 2019 so I hope that Nomura is trying to cut out worlds (ala Jungle Book, Pinocchio, and Treasure Planet in previous games) for a strong selection rather than still choosing. But people will say I'm inhaling copium or whatever it is and should enjoy the game in 2029. But I know Nomura won't touch on this :(

is it safe to assume the Vanitas is the Darkness that was doing all the talking in UX?
I thiiiiiiiink there's a scene in the ending of UX where the darknesses all alternate dialogue? I don't want to check since UX's cutscenes are a mess but if they do alternate then I don't think that would all be Vanitas's voice. That'd get really confusing come main game time when they make an appearance.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Ah I see, so this is just a preview.

I wish they'd touch on the world selection and early dev comments aha. The rumour was world selection was happening in November 2019 so I hope that Nomura is trying to cut out worlds (ala Jungle Book, Pinocchio, and Treasure Planet in previous games) for a strong selection rather than still choosing. But people will say I'm inhaling copium or something and should enjoy the game in 2029.

I thiiiiiiiink there's a scene in the ending of UX where the darknesses all alternate dialogue? I don't want to check since UX's cutscenes are a mess but if they do alternate then I don't think that would all be Vanitas's voice. That'd get really confusing come main game time when they make an appearance.
oh... I don't really remember much since I haven't seen the whole thing. I was just assuming there was one doing the main talking. I was thinking about the one Empherer and the rest confront, and the one MoM talks at the end.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
IIRC Nomura also said that KHX wouldn't have story or be canon or something and that quickly got thrown out the window so I wouldn't trust him with what he said about DR, especially since it was delayed until freaking August due to the scope of the game increasing.

But that still leaves Sigurd and Yozora's friends, the latter of which I can't imagine speaking the lines in the trailer (especially since Missing-Link is concerned)..... so Sigurd.
Do you know the quote where he said that? I can't imagine he believed that about X with the foretellers being the primary antagonists of this next saga. Even before it became Unchained key, the browser game had implications for the future like the box and the Book of Prophecies being a connection to the future (aka present with Sora's time period).

DR gives closure and perspective on Xehanort's transformation so I can understand it being self contained a bit more.

Sigurd I completely forgot about. But he's some faceless generic NPC so I'd imagine he wouldn't be too relevant. But this is Nomura so who the heck knows lol

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Do you know the quote where he said that? I can't imagine he believed that about X with the foretellers being the primary antagonists of this next saga. Even before it became Unchained key, the browser game had implications for the future like the box and the Book of Prophecies being a connection to the future (aka present with Sora's time period).

DR gives closure and perspective on Xehanort's transformation so I can understand it being self contained a bit more.

Sigurd I completely forgot about. But he's some faceless generic NPC so I'd imagine he wouldn't be too relevant. But this is Nomura so who the heck knows lol
I was incorrect about it being a title without a story, but early on it seems like there wasn't much of a focus on having a story that really connected with the main titles

Can you please tell us a little more about the series-first KH game for PC browser?

Nomura: This is not a title with an emphasis on story, but we are working premises in. That said, for the first time in the series you can enjoy the content completely separately from the main series, so even beginners to the series might be able to be at ease playing it. The battling is different again from KH Re:CoM, and we are aiming for something with simple controls and flashy movements. I think customising is important to this type of game, so we are filling it with new elements in that area.

Tetsuya Nomura Interview + HD Screenshots! - News - Kingdom Hearts Insider

Kingdom Hearts Insider - the largest kingdom hearts community and news resource on the web!
-What sort of content is there story-wise?

Nomura: It is a spin-off title, completely separate from the main plot thread. Because of the nature of browser games from the start, we weren't going to put in any grand set-up. You can say that this means both existing fans and people new to the series will be able to play standing at the same starting point. Of course we aren't discarding the established universe of the series, and if you are a fan, we have included some developments that you can consider deeply. We also plan to draw up some new characters for Browser.

Dengeki Interview with Tetsuya Nomura Finally Surfaces! - News - Kingdom Hearts Insider

Kingdom Hearts Insider - the largest kingdom hearts community and news resource on the web!

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
If the bootleg characters from the Verum Rex CGI commercial end up being new organization members I'm done.

Also, this would have been a good time to introduce a new hoodie to separate this saga from the last one. Can't believe we're still going to run around with cloaked figures for 80% of the game.