• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gurish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Mar 20, 2018
It goes without saying that it will be incredibility hard to do, but Naughty Dog is one of the few studios that can do it and I wouldn't be surprised.

Bruce isn't working on this game, that guy was a key player in all of ND's biggest games critically (U2 and TLOU), I'm really not so sure a 95 is within reach this time, the expectations are huge and the story of the first game was pretty much perfect and many people felt there wasn't any need for a sequel.

Now they brought back those characters again and they need an extremely good excuse to do so, the story gotta be as amazing plus they have to improve on the gameplay a lot, in my opinon it's going to be mission impossible to create as impactful sequel as was the first game (and that is why I also believed they shouldn't make a direct sequel) and without Bruce as well. We will see but I'm skeptical (and extremely curious) about this project.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is insane.

We need a list of top performing developers in this industry.

Naughty Dog
Game Freak
Nintendo EAD Tokyo
Sony Santa Monica

who did I forget?
Supercell
King Stockholm (I'd say Candy Crush was made there)
Mojang
Rockstar North
Ubisoft Montreal
The CoD studios
Polyphony

Hardcore Sony fans saying GOW is bigger than Mario are being ludicrous. God of War is not going to be in Mario's league in terms of LTD sales and its okay.
Yup. If we look at the number of big selling games released every year (let's say 7M+ total) and the amount of big exclusive games we see that there more in PlayStation than in Nintendo platforms.

I think this is one of the reasons of why Nintendo sales traditionally get more focused on their few best games and give them longer legs compared to the big selling games in PlayStation like GTA, CoD, AC, GT, FIFA, Destiny, Uncharted and so on. And if we don't talk only about big sellers and see the total catalog of the console in PS there is a way bigger and more diverse catalog so overall sales are more spread through more titles because having that is more possible to find a niche game with low sales that appeals every player.

So yes, I think GoW will end selling over 10M copies but Mario Odyssey will end selling more because it will have longer legs and less competition in all fronts (including in stuff like Switch console bundles).

Last edited:

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Completely agreed. I actually think both games, along with Monster Hunter to a much lesser extent, are incredible examples of how reinventions of franchises, whilst potentially risky, needn't be the bogeyman that many publishers seemingly fear them to be, by virtue of their inaction to drastically switch up otherwise stagnating or diminishing franchises.

BotW and GOW both reinvented themselves and have been massively rewarded for it. Hopefully other publishers look at their successes and are inspired to experiment with reinventions of prominent but declining franchises of their own.

Remember, both God of War Ascension and Zelda Skyward Sword sold far worse then previous iterations in the said franchises, so the relatively quick, reactive and creative way in which these studios responded to that drop, simultaneously correcting the decline, is highly commendable.
Don't have anything to add, agree completely with everything said!
A prequel STARRING Faye as the main character would be awesome. Mimir tell us many times how she was an incredible warrior and that even the Gods feared her. I dont know if I am thinking too much about it, but for me it seemed kind of a tease for a prequel with her, the way they kept talking about her adventures.
Yeah, this would be amazing. I don't think they'd ever do it because she'd be completely unknown compared to Kratos and if it was between that or just a Kratos prequel, I think they'd pick the latter. But yeah, I'd love to see a strong female protagonist in this series.

Oct 25, 2017
Bruce isn't working on this game, that guy was a key player in all of ND's biggest games critically (U2 and TLOU), I'm really not so sure a 95 is within reach this time, the expectations are huge and the story of the first game was pretty much perfect and many people felt there wasn't any need for a sequel.

Now they brought back those characters again and they need an extremely good excuse to do so, the story gotta be as amazing plus they have to improve on the gameplay a lot, in my opinon it's going to be mission impossible to create as impactful sequel as was the first game (and that is why I also believed they shouldn't make a direct sequel) and without Bruce as well. We will see but I'm skeptical (and extremely curious) about this project.

Oh I'm sorry I didn't know Bruce had to be there. Straley is great, but ND has more than enough talent to deliver another masterpiece. I see people are starting underestimate them already. I'm not saying it will score 96 as that is just unreasonable to expect for any game, but I would surprised if it scores less than Uncharted 4. 93 or above is realistic.

You didn't give very good reasons for skepticism either. I think ND has earned the benefit of the doubt as much as any studio in the industry in recent times.

Last edited:

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
...I was told singleplayer games were dying.

Sure, it's easy if every single player game can be called one of the best of this generation and achieve a 95 MC.

The sales of Detroit will be very interesting/telling. Not a 95 MC slam dunk Meta score...80 MC (still very solid), new IP, more story driven than God of War. I hope it does super well.

TazKa

Oct 27, 2017

Bruce Straley was important and was important no question, but just look at beyond. Naughty Dog is not just Bruce Straley, Neil Druckmann or Amy Hennig. Naughty Dog are hundreds of talented, passionated women and men.

Look how great Lost Legacy is with new leads and just over a year development time.

There is a chance Naughty Dog will onky be very good and not great, but that is always a possibility for all development in the game industry.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Detroit has a totally different fanbase. And man, GOW will sell really well in November and December. Just like Horizon Zero Dawn did.
Well, i was comparing to Odissey first months, i'm sure GoW will continue to sell hear, just not as fast since no holiday period soon plus heavy competition in the upcoming months (Detroit, Spiderman, CoD, RDR2...) unlike Mario has had done nothing 'major' has been released for switch since then if not mistaken.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Well deserved for Santa Monica and Sony which invests massive budget on solo game

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
This might be if not the fastest selling game on PS4. Well deserved! Congrats SSM and Sony

Oct 27, 2017
Kodera does a good job telling people what they want to hear.
Show, don't tell.
jLd1d1e.gif

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018

Game directors of Part II did a great job in Lost Legacy. Plus, they have Halley Gross now. That's pretty huge!

But I think Naughty Dog need Bruce for new IP. He is a fucking lovely genius.

many people felt there wasn't any need for a sequel.

I was one of them. Still have some fears for Part II. TLoU was so damn perfect and these fears are logical imo. But c'mon! It's Naughty Dog! TLoU is Neil's baby. They know what to do. Trust them.

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017

I have a feeling you will be more optimistic after E3. They have been cooking this game for a while and ND needs to remind people what they can pull off.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can someone tell me what the comparisons to Botw are in this thread btw? I have to laugh yet today hard so please someone help :p

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
A prequel STARRING Faye as the main character would be awesome. Mimir tell us many times how she was an incredible warrior and that even the Gods feared her. I dont know if I am thinking too much about it, but for me it seemed kind of a tease for a prequel with her, the way they kept talking about her adventures.

I'd play a prequel that starred Tyr as well.

nycgamer4ever

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
In it's defense it was on a combined (I'm assuming that was for the Wii U + Switch version) userbase of < 20 million

I don't think that really matters in Zelda's case. If i remember correctly it had an attached rate of over 100%. People who couldn't get the Switch were already buying the game first. Plus it was a launch title for a new Nintendo console after the disastrous WiiU.

nycgamer4ever

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
To be fair BotW had the Wii U's only 13 million install base (and it's release on it was barely even promoted) as well as Switch shortages to overcome, and most people wanted to play it there. So it's sales were pretty impressive (for the series), definitely, but they were limited for a while because of the Switch itself.

But yeah, depending on GoW's legs, I can see it outselling BotW. It'll be interesting to see.

Zelda had an attached rate above 100% on the Switch. People were buying it before they got the console.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I really don't think TLOU2 will top it. God of War had so much going for it, way moreso than TLOU2 will (based on what we know so far).

Huh? No.

Many of my friends didn't bought God of War and they can't wait for TLOU 2, sure I'm on Europe where Last of Us is bigger than than God of War and it might be a completely different story in USA.

nycgamer4ever

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Incredible sales.

With this kind of success, I think it is actually a mistake not to have ANY post launch content addons for this game. People would surely like to play more stuff.
I've played this game like 2-3 hours a day since launch over a month ago and still haven't beaten it. I'm getting to the end now but still have a ton of things to do. It's so packed with content but I agree i would buy a dlc in a heartbeat.

xolsec

Feb 18, 2018
I've played this game like 2-3 hours a day since launch over a month ago and still haven't beaten it. I'm getting to the end now but still have a ton of things to do. It's so packed with content but I agree i would buy a dlc in a heartbeat.

Give me more Musplheim trials, above impossible even and I will buy that expansion day 1.

I love all of those.

nycgamer4ever

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Do u understand that MK8 on Switch alone will be selling for years and easily will reach 20-25M copies (+8 on Wii U = ~30M)? Even Zelda will sell 15-20M. It alreasy passed 10M and still charting high around the world. Mario Odyssey will sell 20M. It passed 10M already.

And what makes you think GOW won't. PS4 isn't exactly slowing down in sales and is actually selling more than all other consoles. If word of mouth keeps the game in people's mindshare and the game ends up being a required purchase for new PS4 buyers it will continue to sell. That being said just to be compared sales wise in the same sentence as those games is impressive. Let also not pretend like Zelda has been a sales juggernaut. I believe before BOTW the higher selling Zelda game was maybe TP at over $8MM.

nycgamer4ever

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Incredible. The only 1st party PS4 title I see beating it is TLOU2.

The sequel will be humongous on PS5, provided they can build on its excellence. Since Cory doesn't sound like he's directing the next one then I hope it doesn't suffer as a result.

Where did you hear that Cory won't be Directing the next one. I though I read that he already has ideas for the next two as well as three game with a new ip.

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria
You're mistaking him for Phil maybe?

Nice, spilled my coffee on the desk! :) Thanks for the laugh.

On topic, well deserved and congratulations to Cory and the guys and gals at SMS! The game is flawless in my opinion and made my jaw drop multiple times. Also had a blast getting the platinum.
Now my fingers are crossed that the sequel will come sooner than the standard development time frame, as I can wait to see how will the story unfold (especially with that secret ending)!

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think that really matters in Zelda's case. If i remember correctly it had an attached rate of over 100%. People who couldn't get the Switch were already buying the game first. Plus it was a launch title for a new Nintendo console after the disastrous WiiU.
It certainly makes a difference. It's not like the majority of potential buyers were getting the game without the console.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Where did you hear that Cory won't be Directing the next one. I though I read that he already has ideas for the next two as well as three game with a new ip.

I think it was in that video with an Australian YouTuber in a car where he says he likes them switching directors for each entry and that he wants to do something of his own next.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Well deserved sales.

God of War is IMO the best game to be released on PS4. I'd even say it's in the top 3 games released this gen with Witcher 3 and Breath of the Wild.

If you own a PS4 you really need this game in your library.

xolsec

Feb 18, 2018
Well deserved sales.

God of War is IMO the best game to be released on PS4. I'd even say it's in the top 3 games released this gen with Witcher 3 and Breath of the Wild.

If you own a PS4 you really need this game in your library.

So, I'm planning on getting a switch soon for BoTW and MO, but last night I noticed the witcher was on sale for about $19.. do you recommend it to someone who liked GoW and Horizon?

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're not showing Faye in some expansion or outside of the main series first. It's pretty obvious they're trying to build up anticipation for players to see her, which is why she's almost like this omnipresent entity in your journey. It's a pretty straightforward storytelling technique. Your first encounter with her will be with Kratos and Atreus.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
So, I'm planning on getting a switch soon for BoTW and MO, but last night I noticed the witcher was on sale for about $19.. do you recommend it to someone who liked GoW and Horizon?

Most definitely. For me, it's the greatest action RPG ever made. Beautiful open world, great quests, great story, amazing combat. The game has it all.

For 19 dollars it's an absolute steal.

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, it's easy if every single player game can be called one of the best of this generation and achieve a 95 MC.

The sales of Detroit will be very interesting/telling. Not a 95 MC slam dunk Meta score...80 MC (still very solid), new IP, more story driven than God of War. I hope it does super well.

I bet Detroit will beat Heavy Rain which has done very well itself. In initial and LTD.