• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
He had been out of the public eye for awhile, so I assumed he was in failing health.

He was not a good person, and I have zero qualms pointing that out. I hope the Dragon Quest series can now use their platform to lift up LGBT+ creators and gamers. Bigotry and zealous nationalism is not acceptable in any circumstance, no matter how lauded someone's contributions to culture may be.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I get acknowledging that someone is a bad person , but some yall really celebrating a humans death.

if a guy laughs at LGBT youth being driven to suicide it's probably fine to laugh at his death imo
(this is, of course, not even touching on the war crime denying and thinking Japan should invade Korea and China again)

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
End of an era. Finally, if I must say so.

Anyway, the user who took offense from people celebrating the war crime denier's death also uses an avatar of a fictional character who commit war crimes. Coincidence? I think not.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if he ever realized that the best and most beloved character in DQXI is the heavily LGBTQ-coded Sylvando, and that his music actually helped people empathize with a character that represents a group of people he didn't even consider human

greenbird

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
This likely bodes well for the DQXII soundtrack, and I'll just leave it at that.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
He had been out of the public eye for awhile, so I assumed he was in failing health.

He was not a good person, and I have zero qualms pointing that out. I hope the Dragon Quest series can now use their platform to lift up LGBT+ creators and gamers. Bigotry and zealous nationalism is not acceptable in any circumstance, no matter how lauded someone's contributions to culture may be.
This post nails it.

Calvertutrp

Dec 4, 2020
if Koichi Sugiyama knew me personally there is a 100 percent chance he would celebrate my death and yet some people think I should in good consience sit here and wish that man peace in his?

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
KnWUMK2.gif

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if he ever realized that the best and most beloved character in DQXI is the heavily LGBTQ-coded Sylvando, and that his music actually helped people empathize with a character that represents a group of people he didn't even consider human
I do genuinely wonder how they worked with him around that, because Sylvando's music is among the best new stuff he contributed to the game.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
a man spreading hate is not worth sharing love. he doesn't deserve it.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
As iconic as his music is, I'd be perfectly okay if they made a new theme for DQ and stopped using his music altogether for future DQ titles. This dude deserves to be buried and forgotten.

Veldin

Oct 25, 2017
His music was indisputably incredible and contributed greatly to one of the biggest game franchises of all time. It's just a shame he adhered to such utterly rotten views to the day he died.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Well shall see what happens next regarding the music.

Course he made a impact regarding video game music (good and bad), but well, it is a shame that he was a shitty person to the bitter end.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Rest in piss, won't be missed and all that.

End of an era. Finally, if I must say so.

Anyway, the user who took offense from people celebrating the war crime denier's death also uses an avatar of a fictional character who commit war crimes. Coincidence? I think not.
I mean I didn't want to say it but...

Last edited:

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I seem to be an anomaly in thinking that he's made some really great music in his tenure. He is certainly a problematic figure, but I think his music will live on through many. RIP.

He is a lot more prolific than most people on this forum knows (he contributed to pop music greatly too, as well as in other areas). I have no sympathy for someone who is so problematic and still lived to his 90s. I only wish that his descendants do not continue to spread his brand nationalism and toxicity.

Oct 25, 2017
Holy cow, now we can all buy Dragon Quest games guilt free! Hopefully he wasn't finished with his work on 12 before he shuffled off to hell.

Total bastard who unfairly got to enjoy way too many years of life. Glad new DQ games will no longer feel tainted and that he's permanently done spewing his vile views into the atmosphere.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
I'll put on DQV tomorrow, IMO his masterpiece. A shame his views tarnishes his music's legacy.