lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
So, I'm most likely exposing my white privilegness, but my impression was the writer mean she was bouncy & energetic? Which makes sense, because Frey is very much parkour driven. Don't get me wrong, the writer not being able to explain the meaning behind it is a big fucking yikes, but I still think that's what they meant over anything stereotypical. but, maybe I'm missing some context?

Nah, that is not what she meant.

I am not going to condemn her, but come on.

My perspective is that this is very bad PR. Nothing more.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissing Concerns Around Racist Stereotypes
The origin story is super generic and has nothing to do with her skin color. It's basically every fantasy origin story, ever. From FF 6 to Oblivion and Skyrim.

Now that "hip hoppy walk" remark is super cringe tho.

Mr_Nothin

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So, I'm most likely exposing my white privilegness, but my impression was the writer mean she was bouncy & energetic? Which makes sense, because Frey is very much parkour driven. Don't get me wrong, the writer not being able to explain the meaning behind it is a big fucking yikes, but I still think that's what they meant over anything stereotypical. but, maybe I'm missing some context?
It just means have some swag, rhythm, and soul. Energetic and bouncy is somewhat correct still. Still a very inappropriate statement

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
If you're not going to have any black people on your team that have the security to tell whomever's in charge that this ain't it, then don't even go for representation. Just stick to what you know.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
It's fucking mortifying to me that Ubisoft…FUCKING UBISOFT of all developers, is somehow still the only one capable of portraying a black person without fucking overbearing stereotypes. I'm so fucking tired. I don't even get excited when I see someone that looks like me in a game anymore, it's almost always involving some bullshit.

To help with this a bit, here's the main playable character in The Gunk-

TheGunk_Screenshots_Ruins-1920x1080-1.jpg

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
The wording is awkward but nothing more than that. People are blowing this WAY out of proportion.

And I am confused at so many of the responses here. Black people are, believe it or not, just people. They are not some sort of mysterious group that all have the same background, same story, etc. A black character doesn't NEED to have any specific attributes simply because they are black. The idea that, to have a black character in a video game, you have to have black writers is dumb. If we applied that line of thinking to everything, we are going to get a lot less representation than what is needed.

Over the top reactions to awkward wording, like the ones found in this thread (but luckily not much elsewhere), will do nothing but make developers think twice before being inclusive, scared that they might accidentely offend someone for nothing more than phrasing. And in a world that needs more black characters, latino characters, gay characters, etc., that would be a horrible shame.

You know, this would probably have a better ring to it if the crux of the article wasn't white people coding black people in the same way white people have coded black people for the past 80 years.

:🤷:

"She has a very tiki torch goose step walk to her"

"SHE DOES THE NENE TO ESCAPE HER TROUBLES"

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
If you're not going to have any black people on your team that have the security to tell whomever's in charge that this ain't it, then don't even go for representation. Just stick to what you know.

I disagree with this.

I rather they do better, than not at all.

Framing it as either/or is a losing proposition.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
We should have had this conversation with Ghost of Tsushima.

Anyway, this is shit.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
The whole vibe of the game is "Hello Fellow [POC] Kids." It's not surprising when at least 3/4 writers on it are white and like 50 years old on top of it. Of course they're stepping into racist pitfalls (casual or otherwise) on top of the cringe.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
You know, this would probably have a better ring to it if the crux of the article wasn't white people coding black people in the same way white people have coded black people for the past 80 years.

:🤷:

"SHE DOES THE NENE TO ESCAPE HER TROUBLES"

Thank you for this.

The 'WHOOSH' was deafening and I could not even formulate a response.

Chosen Onez

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2021
I know y'all are gassed because this game has a black protagonist, but I just can't trust anyone doing it right other than a black team. Looks like my fears were founded.

fucking pricks

ARobotCalledV

Aug 22, 2020
Still excited for a Black woman to star and lead a Square JRPG, but god damn why did they have to fumble so hard.

The wording is awkward but nothing more than that. People are blowing this WAY out of proportion.

And I am confused at so many of the responses here. Black people are, believe it or not, just people. They are not some sort of mysterious group that all have the same background, same story, etc. A black character doesn't NEED to have any specific attributes simply because they are black. The idea that, to have a black character in a video game, you have to have black writers is dumb. If we applied that line of thinking to everything, we are going to get a lot less representation than what is needed.

Over the top reactions to awkward wording, like the ones found in this thread (but luckily not much elsewhere), will do nothing but make developers think twice before being inclusive, scared that they might accidentely offend someone for nothing more than phrasing. And in a world that needs more black characters, latino characters, gay characters, etc., that would be a horrible shame.

Fuck this. Don't use us minorities to make white people richer while reducing our only presence to tired stereotypes. Give us some respect.

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh this sounds bad.

I was really hyped for the game but this dampens it a fair bit. They still got time before release so I hope they take this criticism and fix it. Delay it if you need to.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017

No it's not dumb to want black writers. Diversity and inclusivity should be present at all levels of development, not just in the final images on your he screen

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
The origin story is super generic and has nothing to do with her skin color. It's basically every fantasy origin story, ever. From FF 6 to Oblivion and Skyrim.

Now that "hip hoppy walk" remark is super cringe tho.

But in this case, the character is from "our world" or the "real world," so I think the context/subtext is a little different in this case whether intentional or not

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Imma keep it a bean, imma still support this. We got Shorty on the cover looking magnificent and the game looks fun. Story wise, it's always expectations low, so I can have the right to be surprised. I hope it's good overall though and doesn't come off with egregious stuff that the sterilized cliff notes the devs have sounds like.

We have swag in are culture. Prison is not our destiny, but some of our environments brush up against it due to the lay of land, and some of us do have chips on our shoulder. I'm not writing this off because of that...

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah, this ain't it.

White people and black people have had different histories, different experiences, purely because of their race and the privileges (for white people), or disadvantages (for black people) that come with folks purely on their skin color.

No one knows black people better than black people. Thus black people are the most appropriate for telling black people's stories. We've had a LONG history of white people telling black people's stories and let's face it, fucking sucking at it.

THEN we get to opportunity. We've had a long history of an agency, company, employer, what have you, hiring a white person over a black person PURELY because of racial bias. In the western world (where of course Hollywood and other BIG places are generally located), are ruled by white people. So naturally, white people have historically been shall we say, not exactly gracious in why they'd pick a white person to do, really, anything when even a black person beside them could do it even better. It's about giving black people opportunities that they've been denied for generations.

In the 21st century we are moving to a new generation that is bringing the power black people, and other minorities, were denied for far too long. It's about time we give black writers, black actors, black musicians, what have you the opportunity to bring their vision and talents to the forefront and not have a white person get in the way or take credit for that, because white people have fucking done that for decades.

So yeah, let black people do their thing. Let them tell their stories and not have white people keep trying to tell their stories for them.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yeah, this ain't it.

White people and black people have had different histories, different experiences, purely because of their race and the privileges (for white people), or disadvantages (for black people) that come with folks purely on their skin color.

No one knows black people better than black people. Thus black people are the most appropriate for telling black people's stories. We've had a LONG history of white people telling black people's stories and let's face it, fucking sucking at it.

THEN we get to opportunity. We've had a long history of an agency, company, employer, what have you, hiring a white person over a black person PURELY because of racial bias. In the western world (where of course Hollywood and other BIG places are generally located), are ruled by white people. So naturally, white people have historically been shall we say, not exactly gracious in why they'd pick a white person to do, really, anything when even a black person beside them could do it even better. It's about giving black people opportunities that they've been denied for generations.

In the 21st century we are moving to a new generation that is bringing the power black people, and other minorities, were denied for far too long. It's about time we give black writers, black actors, black musicians, what have you the opportunity to bring their vision and talents to the forefront and not have a white person get in the way or take credit for that, because white people have fucking done that for decades.

So yeah, let black people do their thing. Let them tell their stories and not have white people keep trying to tell their stories for them.
Is... is that your alt? Or did the person you quoted try hard to have your username too essentially?

Oct 25, 2017
"While all these high profile names were all well and good, especially for their previous association in crafting other "AAA" games, last I checked none of them were Black people."

Just a bunch of white folks writing a black character with black stereotypes. Eughhh

Isn't what almost always happens in movies too?

Oct 26, 2017
Is... is that your alt? Or did the person you quoted try hard to have your username too essentially?
I know right? Registered since the beginning and only had 85 posts. I promise you, I'M NOT THAT PERSON. Anyone higher up can verify it. I can DM them anything they want to prove it if needed.

Hero of Legend isn't super special if you're a Zelda fan as it's used semi-regularly there. Ironically, that wasn't why I picked mine. I first used it at Serebii back in 2005. Just came to me maybe when needing a cool name that had spaces (as GoldMetalSonic was my no space name just prior at IGN).

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
My newfound fears weren't helped when Rymer and Stashwick described Frey's origin story, which came off as a tired amalgamation of Black stereotypes. Those stereotypes included her "being very angry," her having "fallen through cracks of society," and being "on the verge of prison," before being teleported to Athia.

Honestly this is the most egregious parts to me. I don't even care as much about the hip hoppy crap that was just icing on the weirdly stereotypical tropey shit.
I want to be excited for this but the misses are piling up and the fucked up shit is if this doesn't perform well who knows when we get another protag of color that's why this shit suck so damn much at times.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
There Must have been some mix up between the PR staff, the Mo-Cap people, and the writers.

Gary Whitta (who has done great work with TT's Walking Dead) and Amy Henning Fucking up THIS bad? I can't wrap my head around it.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I know right? Registered since the beginning and only had 85 posts. I promise you, I'M NOT THAT PERSON. Anyone higher up can verify it. I can DM them anything they want to prove it if needed.

Hero of Legend isn't super special if you're a Zelda fan as it's used semi-regularly there. Ironically, that wasn't why I picked mine. I first used it at Serebii back in 2005. Just came to me maybe when needing a cool name that had spaces (as GoldMetalSonic was my no space name just prior at IGN).
There's only one thing for it - you must fight to the death

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe stop giving the benefit of the doubt to the publisher that put this nugget out when challenged on their depictions of women in their games.

kANfOCd.jpg

fza4GpL.jpg

xaLmcP5.jpg

Hecht

Pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017

This wouldn't even register on my radar as one of the more obvious alts (it's not one, heh).

Oct 26, 2017
There's only one thing for it - you must fight to the death
Funny enough this isn't the first "imposter", there's a user at IGN with a similar shortened name (IGN doesn't allow spaces, likely why I went with GoldMetalSonic there in the first place). Wonder if it's the same person. I had to edit my signature there when I found out to make sure folks knew we were two different people.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
The interview is bogus. But to the credit of the actress and game itself, I never once thought about black stereotypes while watching any trailers or gameplay.

She's certainly not Barrett Wallace.

I am gonna go by the footage we've seen.

To me she seems very refreshing as a protagonist. None of the footage so far implied any such demeaning characterization.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My rhymes are fly, my beats are sick

I think anyone who gets my reference will understand lol. Jesus out of touch.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I am gonna go by the footage we've seen.

To me she seems very refreshing as a protagonist. None of the footage so far implied any such demeaning characterization.

The only thing I'll say to you is,

"If someone goes to great lengths in order to show you who they are, believe them."

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019

Is it really inclusivity if these creators are going to close the door on having Black protagonists at the first sign of criticism? Like if that's how fragile these people are then what are we really losing if they fuck off? Like I'm picturing the "on the verge of prison" devs saying they're never going to create a character line this again and all I can think is a very sarcastic "No, stop, please, come back." I can't say that I'm very concerned about what they do going forward.

Also that second paragraph is wild. How did you manage to grasp "Black people aren't a monolith" but land on "and that's why you don't need black writers"? They're literally telling you Frey is an angry girl from the streets, who has a swag walk, and would've ended up in prison if not for the magical realm she falls into. How old and played out is that racist archetype?

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Frankly I'm not surprised with Square Enix anymore especially since their use of colorism in Kingdom Hearts.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017

There are enough white people in high level jobs. Let minorities have a break.