• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lara Croft's dual-pistols were a thing back in the PlayStation 1 days. It was iconic for the character to wield two pistols, however, Dan Bisson, the game director for Shadow of the Tomb Raider, said he does not want that for this Lara Croft.

"No. I don't want that. For us this is her defining moment," said Bisson in an interview with Xbox Official Magazine team (OXM June 2018 Issue). "We're not going to put her in shorts with double-pistols, wearing a bikini; that's not what this is."

(...)

"It's because the twin pistols have an iconic thing about them. For this triolgy – not saying anything about later on, I don't know about the future titles – but for this trilogy, the bow is still her signature weapon."
http://sirusgaming.com/2018/05/the-...apon-says-shadow-of-the-tomb-raider-director/

Kind of disappointing. Thought they might finally close the arc of her becoming the "true" Lara.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Lame. Not my Lara. Never has been, apparently never will be.

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think they'll end Shadow with Lara getting her classic outfit. Would be a cool thing to do.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't love this but it kind of makes sense.

The new games are going for a less whimsical and more "gritty realism", and dual pistols don't work in real life.

That's not to say the games are in any way realistic as it is, but still.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I don't mind that at all. This isn't a prequel after all, but rather a different Lara Croft altogether.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
I gotta admit, I love the bow so much in these games that he won me over by saying it's This Lara's iconic weapon. Unless forced otherwise I used it for the entirety of the reboot and Rise.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
"We're not going to put her in shorts with double-pistols, wearing a bikini; that's not what this is."

When did this happen?

Her iconic weapon being the bow is extremely dull considering every Tom, Dick, and Harry has a bow nowadays, and she wasn't even the first..

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
Good. I like that this Lara has her own defining weapon. I don't need callbacks to the old one.

Oct 27, 2017
How do double pistols = shorts + bikini ??????

They don't at all, but they're making the point that they consider those things "silly" parts of her legacy for lack of a better term and they've rebooted her as a grounded survivalist who would use a bow rather than double guns.

Linking those items as being equivalent is pretty ridiculous though. Not sure I've seen fans clamoring for the bikini or even classic shorts outfit really.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
"We're not going to put her in shorts with double-pistols, wearing a bikini; that's not what this is."
I'm not sure I get the 'having dual pistols' = must also wear short shorts and bikinis insinuation there but alright. That's a shame. Could have been a really great

God of War'ish style (Kratos getting the blades back) moment in game and a really cool scene.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Ugh, she got them at the end of the FIRST reboot game, did they just decide to retcon that when they decided to stretch her origin story over two more games?

Was one of my favorite moments in that game too, great callback to the original games and got me excited for the future ones. :(

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do double pistols = shorts + bikini ??????
They're saying they're not going to go for the iconic look, which includes the double pistols. This isn't that Lara. That's not the game they're making.
I respect it. They're making their own Tomb Raider and it's been well received so far.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
*shrug* Whatever, a couple nods to them is okay, but Reboot Lara's signature weapons are the bow and axe, so just stick to that.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense they failed giving them to her in the first game when that one guy died and she got a new gun that replaced the old one instead of having the ability to dual wield from that point on.

Sucks but not like it matters. The reboot series isn't remotely close to the old games where simply giving Lara dual pistols would be the one thing missing to truly make this a great reboot

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
No surprise.
It's still ridiculous that they teased that at the end of the first game in this reboot, then acted as if this never happened.

At least her personality is more interesting this time around, and stop constantly complaining...

Xer0

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're saving that for Revelations of the Tomb Raider, which will *actually* close the chapter on Lara's origins, like for real for real.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What an eye rolling reason considering how badly the character was written in the previous 2 games.

You don't have to justify it - just do it.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
I'm fine with that. The bow simply fits much better with this Lara and I think her running around with dual handguns clashes with the more grounded 'survival' tone the reboot is going for. She reminds me of Nolan's Batman, in that her defined set of skills are meant to be grounded than usual. Dual wielding is highly uneffective, especially if you're shooting at multiple targets. Lara has only used dual handguns once through two games and three separate comic runs so they've been consistent with it.

Last edited:

Sangetsu-II

Oct 26, 2017
This is why I haven't bought any of their tomb raider games, don't force the bow and axe on me for the third time. Give me the dual pistols.

Orochinagis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So no PTSD Lara going to her boat while being haunted by his dad to grab her guns? well, that woul be a lame scene

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
She'll pick them up in the end of the game. $2 to first to PM me if that doesn't happen.

That or maybe NG+?

She already used dual pistols at the end of the TR2013.

And i would be fine with new Lara if they managed to made here "iconic" like old Lara. But they only managed to make totally opposite. They went from confident, smart, athletic, sassy and badass Lara to bunch of moaning polygons without character.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Sigh... and here I thought this was the game that ends with her "becoming the tomb raider" (whatever that means).

Also that jab at the old Lara seems so unnecessary.