Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
The pickaxe, imo. Idk why they tend to focus on the bow in promo materials when during gameplay the pickaxe is probably the most important thing, and you see it constantly, as it's equipped to her leg regardless of her main weapon.

the bow is just as important, you need it constantly to solve puzzles and move around.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
There's a good chance that she will get them at a later time if this is still "Younger Lara" and not the older Lara that does dual wield. If anything, you could say that she probably has a higher interest in survival than learning how to use a pistol in both hands.

Perhaps it could be that while she did do it towards the end of the first game, she probably didn't find the feel to her liking at first (since it is kind of hard to aim). She probably got better at it as she got older, but for the time being, it wouldn't be that farfetched to say why she ditched it after it was first done.

Meia

Oct 26, 2017
She had the iconic moment of using them at the end of the first game. It's part of the character's DNA. I mean, the first game didn't have tombs, so why even call this Tomb Raider with Lara? Wouldn't this have worked as well with a completely new IP? I don't get studios sometimes...

You have some studios saying something new is iconic when it isn't, and now others taking away something that actually is iconic. Just weird.

wossname

Dec 12, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z58RJ7Gt1qg

Except they already gave her dual pistols in the first reboot game. Two games later and they're still banging on about her becoming the Tomb Raider. The sooner they get back to the Lara that was basically female James Bond crossed with Indiana Jones and stop taking the whole thing so fucking seriously the better.

Deleted member 11262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd argue they aren't, the controls have aged horrendously, Lara's depiction as a sex object, while not a big deal in 1996, would not be appropriate now.
It's not like I want the same kind of sex object (I absolutely don't), but the fact that he is bringing that up is ridiculous. Who said that they want Lara in a Bikini?

And I don't care how TR aged. It was amazing back then, unlike the reboot, which was Uncharted with abysmal writing,

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"We're not going to put Master Chief in green armor with an AR, having a shield; that's not what this is."

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It's not like I want the same kind of sex object (I absolutely don't), but the fact that he is bringing that up is ridiculous. Who said that they want Lara in a Bikini?

And I don't care how TR aged. It was amazing back then, unlike the reboot, which was Uncharted with abysmal writing,
https://www.resetera.com/threads/sh...ll-reveal-april-27.29692/page-11#post-6171810

TheStebe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
London
Let this game end with a remake of the first level of the original tomb raider is all i want as the credits roll

Furyous

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
This makes sense because of the setting. Thank about it: the premise of the game is she's hunting while being hunted.

A recurve bow fits this theme perfectly as it is better suited for stealth. Imagine trying to stealth with two loud weapons as they attract unwanted attention. If she starts a game in this setting with two unsilenced dual pistols it takes away from the immersion IMHO.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, a single person who was summarily banned. You phrased it like this was a widespread opinion on here, when at most people just want an older, confident Lara with her signature weapons and the old school platforming/acrobatics. Aside from a few people here and there, I don't see people too bothered by the outfit changes, although they should probably avoid the Nathan Drake blue henly outfit IMO

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you've enjoyed the previous episode, the recent London media event has shown a strictly identical gameplay for those who tested it. So no worries about the formula.

Sub Level

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
No dual pistols or shorts sucks but at least there is still optional weapons, outfits, and Tombs™ included in the season pass.

Infographics_Tomb_Raider_1080_PS4_PEGI_NO_LOGO_1524734977.jpg

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

Whenever people say that old Lara was better many just jump to conclusion that it is because of the outfits and boobs. As i said before old Lara was much, much more than pair of boobs in shorts. New lara after 2 games still doesn't have any kind of identity, as i said she is bunch of moaning polygons that has serious mental issues.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, a single person who was summarily banned. You phrased it like this was a widespread opinion on here, when at most people just want an older, confident Lara with her signature weapons and the old school platforming/acrobatics. Aside from a few people here and there, I don't see people too bothered by the outfit changes, although they should probably avoid the Nathan Drake blue henly outfit IMO
I mean here, and back on gaf there have been a handful of people that say stuff like the new lara is too masculine, too whiny, and just not "real" lara.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
What the hell is with them and refusing to use the double pistols? Why is this a sticking point for them?

Bows are lame, they're one of my least favorite ranged weapons, and I've never understood the attachment to them. Is it just the Hunger Games thing?

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Dual Pistols: Dumb, can be fun though, Max Payne.
Shorts: Garbage. Would that even fit with that setting? It just would be there to be "sexy".

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
Aww man, hopefully its a part in the new game where she snaps, takes dual pistols and goes into Rage mode.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
for those that played the last game, is this IP moving closer towards Uncharted or closer towards the original games?

Dizagaox

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
London
Calling it now, it'll be the final shot of the game, her locked and loaded and ready to raid.

But I agree with them 100%, her bow is her signature weapon now. I think most people identify it as such.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
Guess she STILL isn't gonna my tomb raider after this one...

That... Sounded better in my mind.

Seriously tho, I like these new games well enough, but this new version of Lara never clicked with me. Legend Lara was perfect.

SuperSplit

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I like the whole bow thing over pistols anyway.

With the clothes well.....I don't blame them, the old Lara was paraded like a peice of meat!!

Fou-Lu

Oct 25, 2017
Dual pistols are cheesy and ridiculous. I am glad they are staying away from them. The bow is a really fun weapon to play with and makes sense for the Lara they've made in these games.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
That's not even her default outfit.

That's the swimming outfit/wetsuit before she literally dives off that boat in the opening of Underworld.

And it's supposed to be black. that's a custom fan made texturing or at least a modified or the normal wetsuit. What's the point of wearing pants to go diving?

There's other parts in the game where she is way more clothed than in that scene and appropriately so. She has full body covered outfits too.

The gameplay sensibilities of the 6th/7th gen of which Underworld and the TR trilogy of that time crossover she needed the dual pistols and the harpoon gun and shotgun etc. And the design at that time, also specifically with much lower rendering power, this game was also released on PS2 and Xbox, not just PS3 and 360 and PC, the game was never going to look as detailed as Uncharted. That said it is still a great game with great gameplay and graphics and art design. And Lara as underdeveloped as she generally is definitely felt like an exciting character always.

The Tomb Raider 2 remake Dagger of Xian shows how good 6th/7th gen Lara can be in this day and age though so it's not like I don't have myself catered to, just unfortunate that it isn't official, but it is extremely well made.