Nov 8, 2017
Any hints or countdowns as to when we will get an actual reveal?

No. There's a rumour that it might get a reveal at some kind of Google Stadia event on Thursday, but to my knowledge that event itself hasn't been announced. We know that Stadia is having some kind of summer event at some point to make announcements but don't have anything confirmed beyond that (i.e. not a BG3 connection).

E3 would be the logical place to show it if the above doesn't pan out. PC Gaming event, in particular.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
From the bits I've played of divinity original sin 1 and 2, it seems opposite to the bits of grim dark d&d of baldurs gate. Plus, the super complicated (combo stuff) turn based action of DOS seems opposite of real time spell slinging and mob melee of BG.

OP
OP
Tovarisc

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
From the bits I've played of divinity original sin 1 and 2, it seems opposite to the bits of grim dark d&d of baldurs gate. Plus, the super complicated (combo stuff) turn based action of DOS seems opposite of real time spell slinging and mob melee of BG.

So we have established that Original Sin games aren't Baldur's Gate, in tone or gameplay. What now?

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
BG could also be preeetty goofy at times, even if they told serious stories and generally played them straight. Grimdark is certainly not the first adjective I'd associate with them.

But even disregarding that, there is still no reason to assume Larian would make this exactly like OS.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
i don't know how you could call a game with Minsc and his Miniature Giant Space Hamster Boo grim dark.

May 9, 2019
Australia
Would be nice to post the rest of the quote:

Check the full article, it's interesting.
Avellone's strength is in always pushing for shades of grey in his storytelling. He's not saying there shouldn't be political subtext at all, he's saying it should be in line with the game first and foremost.

edit:

The full quote was just more of the same until he clarified what he meant in the tweet.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017
The III logo doesn't seem to match the font/typeface/whatever used for either Baldur's Gate II or Divinity Original Sin II, or at least the one's used for their logos.

Tyranny is better than D:OS 2? I've literally never heard anyone say that before. By all accounts I thought D:OS2 is the best CRPG in decades.

Storywise, Tyranny got a lot of praise. I don't think many people have claimed that it's an overall superior game to D:OS2 though, and I don't think that's what this person was saying either.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Storywise, Tyranny got a lot of praise. I don't think many people have claimed that it's an overall superior game to D:OS2 though, and I don't think that's what this person was saying either.
I'd put Tyranny over Divinity OS2. It's easily the better ROLEPLAYING-game and I personally like the battle system way more. It also has better story, lore and characters and I prefer the graphical style.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I wish it played even in inactive tabs. I don't feel like staring at a screen while listening to it :P

Codosbuya

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Since this is the new CRPG OT thread (or it seems :D ) how was Torment:Tides of Numenera?

I looked who was the writer of Mask of the Betrayer (go play this seriously, its a DLC of Neverwinter Night 2), his name is George Ziets and he moved to Inxile and was a writer in Torment.

So any opinions on Torment?

Oct 25, 2017
Since this is the new CRPG OT thread (or it seems :D ) how was Torment:Tides of Numenera?

I looked who was the writer of Mask of the Betrayer (go play this seriously, its a DLC of Neverwinter Night 2), his name is George Ziets and he moved to Inxile and was a writer in Torment.

So any opinions on Torment?
I liked Torment a lot but I know a lot of people didn't.
The combat is serviceable at best which i okay since there isn't a lot of it (if you spec the right way, anyway) - though there is one encounter where you can basically go for a walk every time it's the enemy's turn because there are like 25 of them so it takes fucking forever. The story was good, not necessarily super special but good. I liked 3 of your companions a whole lot and the universe was really, really cool to explore.

I think it if came out 15 years ago people would regard it as a cult classic

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
3rd person, or I am not interested. Isometric games should be in the past.

I loved Baldurs Gate II

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Torment:Tides of Numenera has the ugliest UI in the genre its just so bad

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
3rd person, or I am not interested. Isometric games should be in the past.

I loved Baldurs Gate II

iu

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I liked Torment a lot but I know a lot of people didn't.
The combat is serviceable at best which i okay since there isn't a lot of it (if you spec the right way, anyway) - though there is one encounter where you can basically go for a walk every time it's the enemy's turn because there are like 25 of them so it takes fucking forever. The story was good, not necessarily super special but good. I liked 3 of your companions a whole lot and the universe was really, really cool to explore.

I think it if came out 15 years ago people would regard it as a cult classic

Yeah, I really enjoyed it. It did a lot right for me.

Superb way to open a game too.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Can't really say I'd agree with a single point.
Everything about tyranny ranged from underwhelming to disappointing for me.
I think the Original Sin games are extremely overrated. The first one isn't even good. The second one is good for most parts, sometimes even great but overall very uneven. Especially that last act was really bad and the balancing is all over the place. I am also not a fan of how the world is build. Once you leave a location you can't return. There isn't even a good reason why it is made that way.

I can see why people can't get into Tyranny though. The game and the setting are very special, but I really liked it overall.

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
So wait. Theres a possibility that this gets locked down to a streaming platform... say it aint so!

Last edited:

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
So the rumor goes, but I wonder if it's going to be an actual reveal or just a "Yeah, we also have this on our catalog", followed by little or no actual showing.
if the they announce it as a flagship title for Stadia we're gonna see something, likely a focus on the drop in from any device/ drop in a game with your favourite streamer etc
and if the game will be tbased it will make a good showing

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
I have no concerns about Larian taking on a more dark, serious tone after those little mini stories you get when eating limbs as an elf in original sin 2. Some of those are incredibly dark.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Developers are capable of change. They are made of a group of people with all sorts of skills & can hire people based on their needs. Just because Divinity OS 1 & 2 are one way doesn't mean they can't do something different with Baldur's Gate 3. If they find BG-type storytelling to not be their forte or feel they aren't quite up to the task of RTWP combat, they can try to find people who bring that type of voice & expertise to their story/writing team & gameplay team.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
Currently playing Divinity 2, what a masterpiece. Give me 3.

Haven't played Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 so the PS4 collection will be mine. I liked Dark Alliance 1 & 2 though, are they similar to the main entries ?

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

Haven't played Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 so the PS4 collection will be mine. I liked Dark Alliance 1 & 2 though, are they similar to the main entries ?

No.

Dark Alliance are spin offs specially made for consoles. They're pretty early Diablo clones.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017

Dark Alliances are hack 'n' slash dungeon crawler RPGs, the OG Baldur's Gates are fairly hardcore pen & paper inspired role-playing games with a "real time with pause" combat system & much bigger emphasis on story & choice.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
Wow, ok thanks. I'm sure Larian will find a way to make it work on consoles though, too big of a potential audience to ignore.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, ok thanks. I'm sure Larian will find a way to make it work on consoles though, too big of a potential audience to ignore.
They do seem to be doing their hardest to make it work as well as possible. Like, for example, originally you moved the characters by clicking on the screen where you want your character(s) to go but now you can move the whole group with the analog stick which should make traversal on consoles a lot less cumbersome than having to move some pointer on screen and picking a spot each time you want them to move. IIRC they've made a radial menu as well (someone can correct me on this if I'm wrong) to make choosing skills & such work better with a controller.