• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
He was special because he was the son of Eva, an angel and thats forbidden and makes them duper powerful
Basically they changed Sparda for Eva
(Wich was ok i guess except they still made a big deal out of Sparda, but only because he made babies with Eva)

Oh shit, I forgot about the whole Half Angel thing =_=

OniBaka

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney

Made this for the 100 page mark.

b175ac8a-220a-4cc1-ba96-9ba7f84c4876
b175ac8a-220a-4cc1-ba96-9ba7f84c4876
kc2A3Rx.jpg

102 Pages now.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
From what I've heard, the digital PSN release of the DMC HD Collection has some crashing issues. Very annoying. :|

Hopefully if DMC5 is coming then they'll port/remaster the original trilogy. It'd be nice to have the entire series on PS4/PC, and future PlayStation consoles if PS5 has backwards compatibility.

Yeah. DMC1 and DMC3 are really really inly playable on three platforms. Should get a proper current gen release on consoles and PC.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
From what I've heard, the digital PSN release of the DMC HD Collection has some crashing issues. Very annoying. :|

Hopefully if DMC5 is coming then they'll port/remaster the original trilogy. It'd be nice to have the entire series on PS4/PC, and future PlayStation consoles if PS5 has backwards compatibility.

Wow, so Capcom basically fucked me out of 20 bucks. Having the game constantly freeze makes it unplayable.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't DMC2 the placeholder game like Onimusha 2 while another team was working on 3 ? Capcom can't really pull a fast one nowadays

bar_bar12

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't DMC2 the placeholder game like Onimusha 2 while another team was working on 3 ? Capcom can't really pull a fast one nowadays
Nah apparently DMC2 was a completely different game that got the DMC label slapped on it due to the success of DMC1, and Itsuno was brought in late to development to try and salvage the wreck.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Hey.

What if the game winds up being another Devil May Cry 2?
Wasn't 2 something not exactly well planned? Kamiya wasn't told about it and they just wanted to make the game bigger, etc.? I kind of doubt Capcom would risk not spending time carefully planning and developing the return of such a beloved franchise.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017

The legend goes that DMC2 was originally some other game entirely that started development before the original DMC even released, I believe. After DMC proved successful they decided to jury-rig this unrelated game into a sequel at some point late in development, which led to what we now know as DMC2. Itsuno was only brought in late in development to try and bring the project together, according to Hideki Kamiya himself.

When it came time to make DMC3, Itsuno was in charge the whole way through, and Capcom was actually really receptive to fan feedback, which led to the greatest goddamn video game ever made, fight me irl if u disagree. Meet me somewhere.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
The legend goes that DMC2 was originally some other game entirely that started development before the original DMC even released, I believe. After DMC proved successful they decided to jury-rig this unrelated game into a sequel at some point late in development, which led to what we now know as DMC2. Itsuno was only brought in late in development to try and bring the project together, according to Hideki Kamiya himself.

When it came time to make DMC3, Itsuno was in charge the whole way through, and Capcom was actually really receptive to fan feedback, which led to the greatest goddamn video game ever made, fight me irl if u disagree. Meet me somewhere.
This is definitely a factual statement.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
A lesser known rule of DMC games is "If Vergil's in it, it's gonna be good". DMC1, DMC3, DMCV(ergil's Return). DMC4 only sorta has Vergil in it, so it's only sorta good. DMC2: no Vergil, bad game. It's airtight.

(DmC technically has a Vergil, but his presence is cancelled out by the fedora and the need to tell us he had the bigger dick, rather than it simply being obvious like the other games.)

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
(DmC technically has a Vergil, but his presence is cancelled out by the fedora and the need to tell us he had the bigger dick, rather than it simply being obvious like the other games.)
It's been 3 and a half years since I played the campaign, so I don't remember much, but why do I have a feeling this actually happened in the game?

Wachenroder

Oct 29, 2017

ive played the ever loving shit out of the NA PSN version DMC3 and i've never known it to crash

I wonder what triggers it?

Last edited:

JumpCancel

Oct 26, 2017
You're only a true DMC fan if you played DMC 2 from beggining to end and then entered in denial mode and with a sad look on your face said to yourself " This is the best game and best DMC game of all time. "

At least Shoot the works and Wings of the Guardian are killer battle themes. I also liked the art direction of DMC2. Aside from the Infected Helicopter it had its good elements.

Your faith will be redeemed.

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope they steer clear of dial-a-combo for DMCV. Bayonetta (if the series continues) needs to be very different from DMC going forward so we can get some healthy variety and competition going in character action games again. Its been way too lonely on the throne for way too long.

Nov 28, 2017

Neither were placeholders.

Onimusha 2, was in simultaneous development with Warlords, by a second team headed by Eshiro and both projects overseen by Inafune. DMC2 went into full development during the western localisation of the original, without Kamiya's Team Little Devils or Itsuno and his core team (CPS4). There were a handful of his staff who joined the team very late during it's development to help with QA as it was in absolute shambles and Itsuno was one of them, and took the bad name. 3 (and 3SE) was in his complete control right from pre-production and ultimately, his redemption as (then and now) a legendary action game designer/developer and not just another one of capcom's fighting game gods.

A slightly similar modern example would be the transition from the 2009/2010 interns at KojiPro developed Metal Gear Solid: Rising's "What will you cut?" development hell to Metal Gear Rising, after Kojima met the PlatinumGames (ironically) staff at their HQ and finalized the proceedings.

JumpCancel

Oct 26, 2017
I really hope they steer clear of dial-a-combo for DMCV. Bayonetta (if the series continues) needs to be very different from DMC going forward so we can get some healthy variety and competition going in character action games again. Its been way too lonely on the throne for way too long.

I made a post detailing why Devil May Cry 3/4 have a different, deeper and superior combat system than the "dial-a-combo" system you mention. I'll quote for ease:

I know and enjoy some of Platinum's combat systems, with Revengeance being a simply yet deep combat system that allows for slightly advanced play with blade mode cancels and quick use weapons: However saying they are the equivalent to a Devil May Cry is wrong. They are character action games, but Devil May cry 3 and 4 specifically have in my eyes the deepest and most rewarding combat system of any character action game.

If I had the time I'd make a video on my reasoning but I'll try and explain here and I'll use Bayonetta as the counter. Devil May Cry is about using moves against enemies and gaining style which ties into your rank at the end. This can be comparable to Bayonetta's score system in the abstract, but there is a fundamental difference: Devil May Cry is about using individual moves to create combos, whereas Bayonetta is about using pre-existing combos.

In DMC3/4 you can purchase moves for your weapons as well as unlock them with higher levels of styles (DMC3) which expand your options in combat. Of course every weapon has a baked in combo such as:

Δ,Δ,Δ OR Δ,Δ - , ΔΔ while on the ground or in the air for aerial combos.

These are serviceable and for the most base level players are a crutch, allowing them to attack enemies without much thought. Depending on your style your default options may expand slightly, but you're still limited. In Bayonetta you have tens and tens of combo strings available at the start, and when wicked weaves are accounted for there are some baked in combos that have far more damaging weaves so they become the preferred combos to use. There is no major incentive to use diverse combos or mix up your moves. While I know after 5 hits of repeated moves yields fewer points in Bayonetta's scoring system, the useage of witch time (which grants your points a 1.5 multiplier within witch time), guns and switching weapons mitigates that almost entirely. Bayonetta's focus is keeping up your assault without getting hit by any means. It's rewarding, it's fast, it's fluid: It isn't Devil May Cry however. Despite having weapons in Bayonetta the sword has most damaging wicked weaves so that's the defacto choice, since bosses don't have elemental weakness and thanks to wicked weaves, every weapon has the same ideal attack pattern: Get your wicked weaves out for the most damage.

In Devil May Cry your default combos are not enough to get your S Ranks, unless you're proficient with Royal Guard and if so you probably understand the fundamental mechanics at work. When you expand your move list you can begin to create combos yourself, going beyond simply linking default ground combos into a launcher then into default air combos. Now you've got special moves relating to a style of your choosing in DMC3, and in DMC4 you have 5 styles which expand your moves much the same as they did previously, but now you can swap between them instantly. Add to this you have access to every melee weapon and firearm at once in DMC4 and the breadth of viable moves present is an embarrassment of riches, and the encounters with enemies allow you to express yourself in the combat. Every weapon feels unique and plays differently from the others, with the best examples being Lucier and Pandora's box in DMC4. I haven't even gone into Devil Trigger altering the power and timing of your moves (I.E Removing the delay between dashes in tricker).

I have never seen a character action game that has a skill ceiling as high as these games. Check out Donguri999 to see the extent of these games combat systems. Itsuno and his team at Capcom have created as of today the finest example of what makes a character action game appealing to me. Kamiya may have created Devil May Cry, but Itsuno taught it how to style. Platinum games make great character action games and every game is deserving of its merits. When it comes to depth, skill, expression and above all the pleasure of controlling and playing as a video game character however: Nothing beats Devil May Cry.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Neither were placeholders.

Onimusha 2, was in simultaneous development with Warlords, by a second team headed by Eshiro and both projects overseen by Inafune. DMC2 went into full development during the western localisation of the original, without Kamiya's Team Little Devils or Itsuno and his core team (CPS4). There were a handful of his staff who joined the team very late during it's development to help with QA as it was in absolute shambles and Itsuno was one of them, and took the bad name. 3 (and 3SE) was in his complete control right from pre-production and ultimately, his redemption as (then and now) a legendary action game designer/developer and not just another one of capcom's fighting game gods.

A slightly similar modern example would be the transition from the 2009/2010 interns at KojiPro developed Metal Gear Solid: Rising's "What will you cut?" development hell to Metal Gear Rising, after Kojima met the PlatinumGames (ironically) staff at their HQ and finalized the proceedings.

Ok I see, I meant placeholder more as another team was working on 2 while the team of Onimusha 1 was directly making 3.

Oct 25, 2017
I made a post detailing why Devil May Cry 3/4 have a different, deeper and superior combat system than the "dial-a-combo" system you mention. I'll quote for ease:

You're wrong about Bayonetta though. Every single combo has its particular use in how it interacts with certain enemies. Its just a bit obtuse and subtle at first. The draw-back with DMC's style system is that you are constantly battling the feeling of "I wonder if this combo is off cooldown yet?". They both have their pros and cons and I don't prefer one over the other, I just enjoy them being different and want it to stay that way. There are plenty of other things that should inspire these games back and forth without ruining the core systems.

JumpCancel

Oct 26, 2017
You're wrong about Bayonetta though. Every single combo has its particular use in how it interacts with certain enemies. Its just a bit obtuse and subtle at first. The draw-back with DMC's style system is that you are constantly battling the feeling of "I wonder if this combo is off cooldown yet?". They both have their pros and cons and I don't prefer one over the other, I just enjoy them being different and want it to stay that way. There are plenty of other things that should inspire these games back and forth without ruining the core systems.

I wouldn't say combos have different effects on different enemies. Some get wicked weaves out quicker than others, and the slower ones tend to deal more damage. The feeling you describe isn't something I feel with devil may cry as the options at your disposal are plentiful enough to make use of, while maintaining style I increase. Perhaps it's simply a different view. I have a clear bias towards devil may Cry, but as you say they are different and needn't be the same. The focus of each games systems is different, and variety is s great thing for any genre.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Welp. DmC Vergil is even douchier than I remembered then. Damn.

Part of me still wants a sequel to DmC, though... But DMCV takes priority, of course.

Three things people will remember DmC's Vergil

1) He has a bigger dick
2) He drives the Vergil-Mobile with a big V on it
3) He loves abortions, can't get enough of it

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I never knew Vergil had a V-mobile. That's hilarious. They should have played up stuff like that. The story might've been more fun if they did.

Can someone tell me what was so bad about DMC2? All I remember about it is that it had 2 CDs.

- Large open environments without much in the way of actual content, which results in poor pacing and tons of boring traversal.
- There's a lot of creative puzzle sequences that, unfortunately, for the most part are either poorly designed or not very fun to solve.
- The physics are way off. Launchers and knock backs send enemies flying.
- Bad AI. Some enemies don't even target the player.
- Most of the enemies and bosses present little challenge. They are slow and deal little damage and so present little threat, and few are designed around the combat or the players abilities in a way that's engaging or fun. There are a couple of exceptions like Tartarussian, Bolverk, the giant building boss, Phantom and Despair Embodied, which is why they're the only ones people found memorable or remember somewhat fondly. But even those are still way less engaging and challenging than most of the bosses in 1 and 3.
- The only melee weapons are heavy and powerful/fast but less damaging variants of Rebellion and Lucia's knives.
- Gunfire is overpowered and launches enemies, so it's a useful tactic, but makes the gameplay dull.
- You can only upgrade weapon damage, health and DT. Lucia and Dante have, DT excepted, access to their complete movesets from the start, so there is little to look forward to, and most of the moves Dante and Lucia have aren't really useful.
- The world building is solely focused on the game's plot, with a couple of exceptions, and does little to build up the overall game world.
- Story barely has any connection to DMC1, and is somehow even more non-existent than DMC1's, despite having more cutscenes.
- Apart for a couple of fun moments, Dante is a complete stoic. The other characters aren't very fun either.

Last edited:
The point of having two buttons for attack is not having target combos but allowing access to different attacks with simplified input. It always felt like an elegant solution, one that actually encourages new players to mix their combos up more.
But that just wastes a button for one attack. It's good to have simplified inputs, but having to sacrifice variety for that isn't worth it.

Made this for the 100 page mark.

Amazing. How much effort went into this?
There's another Dane coming next week.

Dante's Inferno? Hope they don't get sued by EA or something.
Thanks. I don't know why I can't remember this game, because I remember the first one very vividly. I was fairly sure the second character was Trish too.
She was the third character actually. Lucia, a new character, was the second. Trish was just unlockable.

Anton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The best part of DMC2 is that just shooting enemies can cause them to rise into the air, it's hilarious and shows how broken the physics in it are

Status
Not open for further replies.