Oct 31, 2017
I wrote about this 2 weeks ago now. I told you all that it was on PSVR on parole.

I will watch these more than ever now.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
I don't expect it to happen but it would be killer if Sony revisited some of their old 1st person games by porting them over to VR, namely Killzone 2 and Resistance 3 (latter which I have not played but supposedly the campaing is excellent).

This is something I and others have been saying for a long time too, it'd fit in their AAA hybrid strategy and would be cheaper by a huge factor than build new AAA games. They could fill in some gaps, when there's less stuff releasing and they could also sell those PSVRemasters on flat screens, ideally they'd bring collections like KZ2+3, Resistance trilogy and Motorstorm trilogy to PS5/VR2.

Is it just me, or is this thread mostly optimistic, positive with almost no doom and gloom that VR is a niche and already dead? I remember a time when pretty much any thread about VR was full of such posts, lol, is this because of the Quest or just because I haven't read many VR threads lately?

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
This is something I and others have been saying for a long time too, it'd fit in their AAA hybrid strategy and would be cheaper by a huge factor than build new AAA games. They could fill in some gaps, when there's less stuff releasing and they could also sell those PSVRemasters on flat screens, ideally they'd bring collections like KZ2+3, Resistance trilogy and Motorstorm trilogy to PS5/VR2.

Is it just me, or is this thread mostly optimistic, positive with almost no doom and gloom that VR is a niche and already dead? I remember a time when pretty much any thread about VR was full of such posts, lol, is this because of the Quest or just because I haven't read many VR threads lately?
VR will certainly get a big bump when PSVR2 launches and console VR will be relevant again in a big way. The hardware also seems really excellent.

That said I am a bit wary about the hybrid approach when it comes to software but that only tells very small part of the story. Indies, possible PCVR ports and PSVR1 remasters should mean that there will be plenty of VR focused games also. I just hope we get a healthy mix of both and/or that the hybrid games will have surprisingly well thought out VR versions.

I assume the software side will be much clearer come summer next year. Lil anxious until then but I'm hopin for the best.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
In their personal opinion, the best news from the show was Sony detailing their strategy about heavily pushing for hybrid AAA games (with both flat-screen & VR modes both) going forward. Apparently Sony want the VR mode (in hybrid games) to be more immersive than what people usually associate with flat-screen ports to VR, they should be using the Orb VR controller properly etc.
The news only gets better! Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any available info on haptics used in this manner ? I don't really see how vibrations could help with VR sickness when it's more of a problem about the difference between what your eyes see and what your inner ear perceives. At the moment my understanding is that motion platforms that go along with the movement and acceleration you experience in game are the best thechnological solution to VR sickness, because those actually make your body experience rotation and acceleration even if it's only a fraction of what you see in the game.

You need to read about galvanic vestibular stimulation - whether it can be done with haptics/vibration instead of electrical impulses in the mastoid bones, I don't know, but it breaks the disconnection between what your eyes see, and what your vestibular system senses. Of course it could also be used to put you on the vomit comet, so don't play anything made in Dreams VR until somebody else has had a go.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
I would appreciate it if someone can explain this part to me like I'm 5

capacitive touch sensors for the thumb and index allowing them to know how far the fingers are when they're not touching the controller so they're not just on and off.

Kindekuma

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I would appreciate it if someone can explain this part to me like I'm 5

A bunch of sensors that sense touch will be on the controller and if you lift a finger the lack of touch in that area will register that finger being up, etc. They will have varying sensors down the controller so as each length of your finger begins to grip the controller it'll read that and adjust in real time.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
It can tell the position of your fingers even when not in physical contact with the controller.

A bunch of sensors that sense touch will be on the controller and if you lift a finger the lack of touch in that area will register that finger being up, etc. They will have varying sensors down the controller so as each length of your finger begins to grip the controller it'll read that and adjust in real time.
Gotcha!
Thanks.

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
Noticed this too, hope it stays like this.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
There's one more thing that would make the whole experience much better and more immersive: Tempest 3D Audio.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
You need to read about galvanic vestibular stimulation - whether it can be done with haptics/vibration instead of electrical impulses in the mastoid bones, I don't know, but it breaks the disconnection between what your eyes see, and what your vestibular system senses. Of course it could also be used to put you on the vomit comet, so don't play anything made in Dreams VR until somebody else has had a go.

Jeez that's scary, I'll check this stuff out thank you.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Is there any available info on haptics used in this manner ?
www.roadtovr.com

Researchers Say Head-mounted Haptics Can Combat Smooth Locomotion Discomfort in VR

Researchers from the National Taiwan University, National Chengchi University, and Texas A&M University say that haptic feedback delivered to the head right from a VR headset can significantly reduce discomfort related to smooth locomotion in VR. Moving players artificially through large virtual...

It's a small early study from last year.
But it does seemingly show certain types of haptics can help.
I don't really see how vibrations could help with VR sickness when it's more of a problem about the difference between what your eyes see and what your inner ear perceives. At the moment my understanding is that motion platforms that go along with the movement and acceleration you experience in game are the best thechnological solution to VR sickness, because those actually make your body experience rotation and acceleration even if it's only a fraction of what you see in the game.
That probably is still the best solution.

I think the general idea for haptics is to trick your ear into detecting movement. Sickness tends to happen when your eyes see an acceleration, but your ear does not detect any acceleration. You very gently vibrate your head, so that the ears do detect an acceleration to go with your eyes seeing acceleration.

I don't know if it will work, or if that's the exact intention, but it's an idea some have proposed.

I think it's gotten better over the last year or so. A lot more interest and optimism.

It doesn't feel like it was that long ago, when there only seemed to be a handful of people who cared about VR.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
It's a small early study from last year.
But it does seemingly show certain types of haptics can help.

Interesting, now I'm curious to try this system myself. I don't feel any sickness in DCS (fighter jet sim) but games where I control a character on the ground make me sick very fast. Air Car also made me sick when I tried it recently.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Eye tracked dynamic foveated rendering is THE game changer.

If this is implemented correctly, VR games could have two to five times the graphic fidelity of flat screen games.

Hell, if the resolution of the displays is high enough even playing a game in VR on a projected flat screen in front of you could look better than playing on a physical display using this tech.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

If this is implemented correctly, VR games could have two to five times the graphic fidelity of flat screen games.

Hell, if the resolution of the displays is high enough even playing a game in VR on a projected flat screen in front of you could look better than playing on a physical display using this tech.

There'll probably be a bit of a road to travel with eye-tracking and improving technology in the years to come, in terms of how small the area of attention can be made (and thus how much of a multiplier you can apply to performance). I'm not sure how far we'll get with 2022 eye tracking

I imagine the target is that it will at least be enough to allow flat-TV games run in VR without so much, or any, perceptible visual compromise (vs 60hz modes at least) - if the goal is to make hybrid games easy for developers. Even parity will be a big step - and for a lot of people, OLED+HDR might make it better than their TV . Geometry might still be an issue, but it could become less so with engines/pipelines that are dealing with geometry in a more per-pixel fashion (e.g. Nanite might be ideal for VR).

If 2022-tech can go beyond flat-TV quality, that'd be super exciting, but let's see if we get details on how much performance they're saving with the eye tracking here.

realph

Sep 12, 2020
Eye-tracking (new game design opportunities) & foveated rendering (increasing rendering performance) is essentially the foundation for the 2nd generation of VR headsets. This puts the PSVR2 on a completely different level than the Valve Index. The PSVR2 is the first consumer VR headset 'announced' (leaked) to feature it essentially. The $1400 Vive Pro Eye released last year does have it but it's aimed at enterprise (and games aren't being designed around it currently). Of course, having eye-tracking is not binary, there's also the precision aspect which we don't know anything about (Vive Pro Eye is definitely a 'first-attempt' in this regard).

The Valve Index does feature a wider field-of-view (120~130 vs 110) but we will have to look at the final product design of the PSVR2 to see if the trade-off is worth it (it might be considerably smaller, it might also be much better for long-term comfort where the PSVR1 still dominates).

The Valve Index has a very involved controller where you can strap-in your hands (not very pass-around friendly in this regard) so you can "let go" of the grip (to simulate real life a bit) but the PSVR2 controllers (like the DualSense) has the totally unique Adaptive triggers. Both have haptics.

Price wise I suspect the PSVR2 to cost half or less of what the Valve Index costs and I suspect it's going to be way more durable as well (Valve VR hardware is unfortunately well known to be fidgety).

Valve Index has great built-in headphones. We don't know anything about the PSVR2 in this regard... I personally detest earbuds like they currently do for PSVR1. The PS5 Tempest audio engine should be great for VR.

PSVR2 has considerably higher screen resolution (2000 x 2040 per eye vs 1400 x 1600 on Valve Index) and the PSVR2 uses OLED instead of LCD like Valve Index. The Index does actually have two separate screens (and not a split single screen) which means IPD adjustment can be done in hardware (though again, on the PSVR2 this might be automatic thanks to eye-tracking). Both headsets support 120hz. The PSVR2 also supports HDR.

PSVR2 requires no external sensors. Valve Index requires two lighthouse emitters to be installed in opposite sides of your room and for them to be connected to an electrical outlet.

PSVR2 has haptics (or rumble, for reducing motion-sickness) built-into the headset. This is another first.

Wireless would have been great but it would add $150~$200 to the price (and I'm guessing it would increase Sony's support traffic by 3x). Let's see if that becomes an option. More importantly though, the PSVR2 baseline does feature eye-tracking which has a huge impact on performance and opens up for a ton of new game design opportunities.

Thanks for this excellent writeup. 🙇‍♂️🙇‍♂️🙇‍♂️

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Incredible specs and should really push the medium forward. This will be pricey, but they'll probably be able to leverage massive economies of scale to push the final cost down. I think this should sell quite a bit more than PSVR1 since as the experience should be drastically better.

OP
OP
Uzupedro

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Another ''confirmation'' of sorts regarding the veracity of this info, ZhugeEX retweeted Nibel's post on the subject.
unknown.png

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
I was trying to figure out what it could possibly be without involving eye tracking and couldn't come up with anything.
Analogous to VRS, there's always opportunities for improving rendering-performance by not having linear-resolution distribution over your screen.
In VR - that's a 'requirement' because of lens-distortion, and at least on PC, the majority of software simply brute-forces it by rendering everything much higher res, but that's just the most inefficient way of going about it. Point being - even with no eye-tracking it's 'very' helpful (on the order of 2x-3x improvement).

Even parity will be a big step - and for a lot of people, OLED+HDR might make it better than their TV
Parity's already been kind of possible on 'current-gen' hw - at least in terms of pixel-throughput. If you have a 'good' lens-matching optimized renderer, pixel-load is the same, or slightly lower than flat-screen requirement for 'screen optimal' IQ/clarity.
There's the caveat of higher-fps, but for the most popular VR devices, the barrier of entry has already been lowered to 60 or very close to it.

The real reason parity didn't happen is lack of decent hw-support for aforementioned lens-matching optimizations. PC had an absurdly low penetration of GPUs that accelerate anything, and those that did fragment into 3-4 different mutually incompatible implementation paths.
PSVR had support on PS4Pro, but base-model was stuck without any - while a lot of software did 'some' things there, it was a mixed bag at best, and very rarely approaching optimal setup.
Dedicated HMDs mostly had the worst featured GPU hw - until Quest. But while Quest titles do well with maximizing lens-matched optimizations, they have no 'flat-screen' alternatives - so it's a moot point ;)

If 2022-tech can go beyond flat-TV quality, that'd be super exciting, but let's see if we get details on how much performance they're saving with the eye tracking here.
It should be a slam dunk for GPU throughput, of course CPU/framerate/etc. will still remain a challenge, but just the fact all hw will have the needed features 'and' additional benefits from EyeTracking...

We don't yet know these two things:
-Is the dual sense VR trackable?
-Will the PSVR2 use a camera or inside out tracking?
Tracking implementation has no impact on BC whatsoever (other than games likely performing/behaving 'better' due to more accurate tracking). Games are completely agnostic of 'how' tracking is performed.
Controller is a different issue - a few titles have 'very' explicit design choices around DS4 tracking, but in the grand-scheme, they aren't that many, so they could just list them as incompatible and remaster/update them over time. Rest of library should 'just work'.

Or they could sell some glowing stickers/attachments for DS4/Aim to allow PSVR2 to track them. I'd totally buy into that :P

dragn

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
still potato fov, cant go back after having a pimax since 2 years lol

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018

We're still going to a ways off from having perfect eye-tracked foveated rendering. If you want maximum gains, it needs to be as tightly optimized as possible, implemented in a raytracing pipeline, and used on headsets with an extremely wide (>180) FoV.

PSVR2 will provide some really appreciable gains, but it likely won't be at it's maximum capacity until PSVR3, which I would assume is a PS6 thing.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Analogous to VRS, there's always opportunities for improving rendering-performance by not having linear-resolution distribution over your screen.
In VR - that's a 'requirement' because of lens-distortion, and at least on PC, the majority of software simply brute-forces it by rendering everything much higher res, but that's just the most inefficient way of going about it. Point being - even with no eye-tracking it's 'very' helpful (on the order of 2x-3x improvement).

Parity's already been kind of possible on 'current-gen' hw - at least in terms of pixel-throughput. If you have a 'good' lens-matching optimized renderer, pixel-load is the same, or slightly lower than flat-screen requirement for 'screen optimal' IQ/clarity.
There's the caveat of higher-fps, but for the most popular VR devices, the barrier of entry has already been lowered to 60 or very close to it.

The real reason parity didn't happen is lack of decent hw-support for aforementioned lens-matching optimizations. PC had an absurdly low penetration of GPUs that accelerate anything, and those that did fragment into 3-4 different mutually incompatible implementation paths.
PSVR had support on PS4Pro, but base-model was stuck without any - while a lot of software did 'some' things there, it was a mixed bag at best, and very rarely approaching optimal setup.
Dedicated HMDs mostly had the worst featured GPU hw - until Quest. But while Quest titles do well with maximizing lens-matched optimizations, they have no 'flat-screen' alternatives - so it's a moot point ;)

Thanks for the always great insights!

I am minded to wonder about the framerate difference vs 60hz games, though, and if that will swallow up efficiency gains from foveated rendering in the first gen (to yield something like 'parity' at 90fps). It was mentioned in the stream last night that the screen supports 90 and 120 hz native, the suggestion seemed to be that 60hz reprojected to 120 would be a thing of the past. But maybe that was just their own read on it.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
It was mentioned in the stream last night that the screen supports 90 and 120 hz native, the suggestion seemed to be that 60hz reprojected to 120 would be a thing of the past. But maybe that was just their own read on it.
I mean - hw will remain capable(60fps content can run on 120hz refresh displaying frames twice), if Sony decides against allowing it though... that's always possible I guess.
But yea - that'll eat some resources if it's mandated, particularly since CPU overhead is a problem going up to 120hz, even on these consoles.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
More so than the specs, I hope it can somehow provide enough tracking options to let you have this kind of tracking (full body, face, etc) :

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
More so than the specs, I hope it can somehow provide enough tracking options to let you have this kind of tracking (full body, face, etc) :

With things like VRChat having a lot of this integrated it would be cool if Sony used a similar approach, and also as a thing to include with a reinvisioned PS Home of sorts, with both flatscreen and VR support just like VRChat allows.

I loved PS Home, VR is the perfect opportunity to reintroduce it to a new audience.

Just spitballing here but as for user created avatars and environments, integrating something like Dreams into a new version of Home would be fantastic. Make it as easy as possible for people to create their own custom avatars, personal home/social spaces.

You're welcome Sony :P

sbenji

Jul 25, 2019
If there is a better screen, day soon as I can get one for me. I liked the original screen but found the device and screen to be too poor to use. I think higher res with power of ps5 will be amazing. Also just got on the OLED train — literally better than imax/Dolby cinema.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I mean - hw will remain capable(60fps content can run on 120hz refresh displaying frames twice), if Sony decides against allowing it though... that's always possible I guess.
But yea - that'll eat some resources if it's mandated, particularly since CPU overhead is a problem going up to 120hz, even on these consoles.
I'll be surprised if they'll prevent 60fps games on PSVR2, as the main goal seems to be to have as many AAA titles be fully playable in VR.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be surprised if they'll prevent 60fps games on PSVR2, as the main goal seems to be to have as many AAA titles be fully playable in VR.
I could sort of see the rationale trying to differentiate away from 'lower-fidelity' of standalone HMDs. Both AAA cross-play 'and' higher targets for framerate / fidelity play into that. But as you say - it's a double edged sword as you might lose out on some titles as result - hard to say.

On the flipside - if they're really doing any sort of 'AI' reconstruction (I'm skeptical of that bit of reporting - but we'll see) that could be applied to motion reconstruction just as well (basically "nex-gen" version of what Rift did to hit lower hw-spec targets), so that could be one way to state 'no 60fps' titles too (Would potentially also work to enhance BC PSVR stuff...).

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
https://uploadvr.com/ps5-vr-headset-hdr-oled-aaa
Was this linked here? UploadVR (they leaked the initial PSVR2 details about foveated rendering and the resolution) can independently confirm the existence of August 3rd's PSVR2 dev summit, which leads major credence to the rest of the reported details.
...we are getting eye-tracking with PSVR2. It's slowly settling in. Really curious to see the tracking precision.

Here's a cool demo someone made using the Vive Pro Eye (which released to the enterprise market on June 2019) :

It's cool to see the tracking detect the user's pupils expanding when he turns off the light in the virtual environment.

Nov 21, 2017
...we are getting eye-tracking with PSVR2. It's slowly settling in. Really curious to see the tracking precision.

Here's a cool demo someone made using the Vive Pro Eye (which released to the enterprise market on June 2019) :

It's cool to see the tracking detect the user's pupils expanding when he turns off the light in the virtual environment.

Well we know PlayStation has been developing and experimenting with eye tracking tech for years. Here is a video of them demonstrating eye tracking tech for Infamous Second Son back in 2014.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Going from the Rift CV1 to a high res HDR OLED HMD...my eyes will melt.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
It should be fine if they don't abuse it. Like, when driving a car, you feel some slight revving of the engine or wind simulated via rumble against your face, but not the jarring impact of any crashes.

God no, even in a real car, your face is the last place in your body where you'd feel vibrations. As other people have discussed here, this tech may apparently be useful to reduce VR sickness. I don't think it should be used for any kind of force feedback, nor does it seem to be the plan at the moment.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017

This is very cool.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Sony want to move away from "VR experiences" and concentrate on AAA games with an aim to make hybrid games that are playable in both flat screen and VR. When those titles launch you can even select which version you want to download.

Well that's a shame. VR is at its best when you design to the strengths of the platform, not distill it down so it is basically a 3D traditional game. Much as how the 2D modded version of HL:Alyx is dismal when compared to the VR version. Tailoring to 2D is a path of concessions.