Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
It's unlikely the DualSense or DS4 can be tracked using the headset.

This is already confirmed, I though? Also, look at the DualSense - the LEDs have been moved to a specific place and form a unique shape on the controller, meaning the inside-out tracking via the cameras on PS5 VR's HMD would easily be able to see the size and angle of the controller, coupled with the improved internal motion tech.

Sep 23, 2018
Biggest excitement is the point about moving away from VR shorts / experiences and focusing on big budget titles / hybrid titles that are both flag and VR.

It's not perfect, but recently after realising I only completed RE 7 in Easy (after hitting some difficulty spike around the halfway point iirc) and I've replaying on higher difficulty.
I really LOVE being able to switch between a great implementation of VR mode back to normal / flat TV mode.

It's been a godsend for VR playing in the evening; I tend to get dry eyes quickly and after working all day in front of a screen, it feels a bit like letting my eyes relax after having another screen inches from them for say two hours.

I didn't want to stop playing for the evening but I was definitely get like I wanted to give VR a break but keep playing the game. Being able to transition easily back to flat mode and continue with the game is delightful.

Also the biggest surprise in terms of enjoyment for me has been how much more enjoyable some rhythm games have been in VR (Thumper and REZ infinite) to the point that I really don't want to play flat ones anymore. So here's hoping for some more rhythm games with VR modes / releases.
I haven't even bought beat sabre yet. I kept holding out for a physical run :P

OP
OP
Uzupedro

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Headset's haptics won't be 1:1 with the controller, in the sense of every point of the controller(in this case the headset) could vibrate(like the raindrop in Astro's Playroom), it will be simpler somehow, probably will be mostly to ease motion sickness.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
From the live cast:
"Some games can have DualSense support but wasn't talked about how they are (potentially) tracked." (front-facing light-bars?)
"Every game will support the included-by-default 'Orbs' VR controllers."

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Finger tracking is going to be amazing.

Headset's haptics won't be 1:1 with the controller, in the sense of every point of the controller(in this case the headset) could vibrate(like the raindrop in Astro's Playroom), it will be simpler somehow, probably will be mostly to ease motion sickness.
Yeah plus like Dave was saying considering it's moving part of a headset rather than a light controller I could still see it give a good level of detail to immersive feeling. And it makes sense that it'll mainly be used as another tool to combat motion sickness.

Last edited:

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
I wonder if all those rumours of Sony first party having second studios working on 'multiplayer' i.ps is actually some of them working on these 'AAA titles that can be played in VR or flat screen' instead.

A VR FPS from Guerilla could be great.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
This is already confirmed, I though? Also, look at the DualSense - the LEDs have been moved to a specific place and form a unique shape on the controller, meaning the inside-out tracking via the cameras on PS5 VR's HMD would easily be able to see the size and angle of the controller, coupled with the improved internal motion tech.

It was not confirmed. Some knowledgeable people were skeptical that the DualSense had enough coverage to be tracked.

But pretty promising if true:
From the live cast:
"Some games can have DualSense support but wasn't talked about how they are (potentially) tracked." (front-facing light-bars?)
"Every game will support the included-by-default 'Orbs' VR controllers."

OP
OP
Uzupedro

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Wollan already posted but I will also post what I understood.

Flexible Scaling Resolution makes the game render at a lower resolution and using A.I it will look as good as a native resolution but using 2-3x less processing power, which is combined with Foveated Rendering, that makes only the places you are looking at to use such process rather than the whole screen.
And all is hardware based.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
From the live cast:
"Early prototype headsets are going out next month"
"There are two developer programs coming soon:"
"'Getting started' series for developers this autumn to get up-to-speed with PSVR2 development"
"'Deeper look' series in Q1 next year."

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
From the live cast:
In their personal opinion, the best news from the show was Sony detailing their strategy about heavily pushing for hybrid AAA games (with both flat-screen & VR modes both) going forward. Apparently Sony want the VR mode (in hybrid games) to be more immersive than what people usually associate with flat-screen ports to VR, they should be using the Orb VR controller properly etc.

Aug 30, 2020
OLED is great to hear if true.

But the FOV and eye tracking seem borderline too good to be true.

If all of its true it'll probably be the best headset on the market.

Jun 30, 2021
My brother in law has a psvr and tried a few games on it and had a blast, deff willing to purchase once the units have been tested and tweaked a little, as well as a boxing day sale later down the line.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
From the live cast:
"FSR uses AI [ML?] to upscale the resolution" (I'm not sure if this was their own interpretation)

This was interesting, but was hard to know what was accurate and what was possibly paraphrasing that was less accurate. But they seemed to be saying that the game basically renders the whole screen at a lower res and then the fovea region is AI upscaled. I'd never thought of that possibility before but perhaps if the fovea region is small enough, it becomes possible to do decent AI upscaling on PS5 at a low enough overhead to be a performance win. Only a fraction of the frame buffer that you're looking at needs to be upscaled in this case so maybe that's feasible, and maybe works out cheaper/simpler than the game explicitly rendering different portions of the framebuffer at different resolutions.

(This could also be the kind of thing that tickles DF's fancy, in hindsight, re. their comments about unleaked info)

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
Rumors aside from this un-credible source. This thing is going to be awesome. It doesn't feel like an afterthought or experiment like PSVR did. Besides the clunky setup process, that thing used old ass PS3 controllers. This feels like Sony's proper first attempt at VR. The brand new controllers and single cable setup is already confirmed and I can't wait to see the official details and design. Hope it's sleek.

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
I get the feeling this is what Jim Ryan meant when he talked about 'memorable experiences' on the platform. Sony might be going all in on VR now and I love that this might push some boundaries with this kind of backing.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Rumors aside from this un-credible source. This thing is going to be awesome. It doesn't feel like an afterthought or experiment like PSVR did. Besides the clunky setup process, that thing used old ass PS3 controllers. This feels like Sony's proper first attempt at VR. The brand new controllers and single cable setup is already confirmed and I can't wait to see the official details and design. Hope it's sleek.
Yup, now that they've gotten experience with the first one this sounds like it's going to be a real "next-gen" and a lot more refined.
I hope it's sleek too the design/comfort of the first one was such a key advantage at the time, I hope they've improved it again.

Plus PS5 again being focused on being easy to build games and all that extra horsepower should make it easier for VR games to hit those strict higher framerate requirements needed for VR to be comfortable.
Edit: Heh, they were thinking the same, since they just mentioned it.

Last edited:

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
From the live cast:
"Sony highlighted that they wanted to lower the barrier for making PSVR2 games (compared to PSVR1). The quality of the controller and the certification process."

Live-cast news-part is now finished.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
A key question will be how much, if any, processing resides in the headset. That will determine cost and how limiting 10Gbps bandwidth will be. Keep in mind a 4K60 4:4:4 signal takes 18Gbps.

More details from the livestream
OP
OP
Uzupedro

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Thanks to Wollan for posting all the stuff they were saying.
  • "We have multiple sources confirming these details to us independently. These are not 'rumors'."
  • "Some people are reporting the fresnel lenses can increase brightness by 3x." (Maybe for HDR purposes?)
  • "PSVR2 has 59-75mm pupillary distance adjustment capability. It wasn't specified if this was done by eye-tracking or some other mechanism/setting."
  • Refresh Rate is native 90HZ and 120HZ
  • Headset's haptics won't be 1:1 with the controller, in the sense of most of the surface of the controller(in this case the headset) could vibrate(like the raindrops in Astro's Playroom), it will be simpler somehow, it likely will be mostly to ease motion sickness.
  • "The System UI will be super-imposed over the games." (game will still show in background when interacting with main PS5 menu)
  • No battery for the headset mentioned in the spec sheet(they were talking about the possibility of the headset also being wireless)
  • Flexible Scaling Resolution(FSR) uses AI to upscale the resolution thus using less processing power for the same image quality, which is combined with Foveated Rendering.
  • ''Early prototype headsets are going out next month", "There are two developer programs coming soon:", "'Getting started' series for developers this autumn to get up-to-speed with PSVR2 development", ''Deeper look' series in Q1 next year."
  • In their personal opinion, the best news from the show was Sony detailing their strategy about heavily pushing for hybrid AAA games (with both flat-screen & VR modes both) going forward. Apparently Sony want the VR mode (in hybrid games) to be more immersive than what people usually associate with flat-screen ports to VR, they should be using the Orb VR controller properly etc.
  • "Sony highlighted that they wanted to lower the barrier for making PSVR2 games (compared to PSVR1). The quality of the controller and the certification process."

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
A key question will be how much, if any, processing resides in the headset. That will determine cost and how limiting 10Gbps bandwidth will be. Keep in mind a 4K60 4:4:4 signal takes 18Gbps.

I would imagine nothing. Unless there's something on there to help with the scaling after a sub-native image squeezes through the wire.

Zeel

Oct 27, 2017
USB C cable that is plugged into front C port on the PS5.

It is confirmed that port can carry video feed.

Aye, sounds good, but what I meant was the actual quality of the cord. The PSVR one was just a very cheap design that would get entangled every step and wasn't replaceable. I hope the the new usb c one can be disconnected on the headset side too, in case there is need for a replacement.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
All of this information seems way too good to be true. Hopefully it is though. If Sony has some way for the headset to be truly wireless, even if an expensive adaptor is required, the PSVR2 would be killer.

Seeing all these high-end specs definitely make me think Sony isn't pushing for a $350 price point this go around. This kit is better than the Valve Index. Even at the PS5's scale of economics, I can't image this being cheaper than $500.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
It working natively on PC would seal the deal for me.

I would pay a premium (lol as if it isn't already going to be) if it's cross compatible with PC. With Sony investing in more PC ports going forwards it seems like a smart move should they choose to include the PSVR games as part of that initiative.

My dream scenario is for Dreams (heh) to get a PC port as well as PSVR2 support. With the PC modding community I feel like Dreams + PSVR2 could be the new Roblox. Open those floodgates Sony :P

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
From the live cast:
In their personal opinion, the best news from the show was Sony detailing their strategy about heavily pushing for hybrid AAA games (with both flat-screen & VR modes both) going forward. Apparently Sony want the VR mode (in hybrid games) to be more immersive than what people usually associate with flat-screen ports to VR, they should be using the Orb VR controller properly etc.

this sounds good to me. I was unhappy to hear about this before, but if they put more effort into making the VR experience good, I'll be happy