AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
The thought of playing a AAA first-party Sony title in VR is mouth-watering.

I was on board anyway, but holy shit, these rumors are too good to be true.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
These features would make it far too expensive for a console VR headset:
  • Will use Fresnel OLED screens with a 2000x2040 resolution per eye
  • HDR display
  • Uses Flexible Scaling Resolution in addition to Foveated Rendering which used in conjunction with eye tracking both which aims to scale resolution based upon the user's concentrated view and reduces the strains on PS5 resources
Eye tracking by itself would add like $200 to the pricetag, and high resolution OLED screens are still quite expensive especially in small cell-phone-screen-sized form factors.
Tobii eye tracker is in that range, but the economics are very different for a third party accessory vs a first party expecting to sell 10 million headsets. It's a lot easier to recoup very extensive R & D costs with an extensive marketbase.

Gaze tracking was a big priority for Sony's Vice president of R&D, and he gave it as an example of a next gen VR feature a couple years ago.

FSR isn't anything crazy.

snipe_25

Oct 27, 2017
Yes...and it won't be that small. Even if for some reason PSVR2 was only as big as PSVR1, it would still be millions of potential customers. Quest 2 is getting big, but a lot of their games are still being ported to PCVR because that's still hundreds of thousands more potential sales for a basic port.

And the hybrid concept is a workaround that will enable PSVR2 to get AAA games that the Quest/standalones won't be able to get.

I hope it works out well. I was a late adopter on the PSVR1 and will probably do the same here. I'll be watching the launch of this with great interest.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The hardware sounds pretty great, as expected. This bit has me a little nervous though.

Sony want to move away from "VR experiences" and concentrate on AAA games with an aim to make hybrid games that are playable in both flat screen and VR. When those titles launch you can even select which version you want to download.

While some games this can work well (Tetris Effect) other games are near impossible to replicate the cool or engaging features of the gameplay (Iron Man VR, Half Life Alyx, Gorilla Tag, etc etc). I trust devs to come up with some great VR stuff, but I don't know about the "catch-all" approach.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
John Carmack went into detail in it once - he said they worked hard on it and it was one of their biggest priorities, but concluded in the end that to solve the problem of VR sickness would require a medical breakthrough. They implemented the bits they could do - higher refresh rate, lower latency, better head tracking, and software solutions.

Different VR vendors have different opinions on the relative value of different features. The same goes for eyetracking for example - it's a topic of quite a lot of debate. Just because Facebook isn't doing something or doesn't see the cost-benefit in something doesn't mean Sony won't.

Anyway, as for the veracity of rumours in general, basically everything reported in this video on the hardware side has already been reported previously by UploadVR much earlier, aside from HDR. Maybe both reports are wrong, but we'll see.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
John Carmack went into detail in it once - he said they worked hard on it and it was one of their biggest priorities, but concluded in the end that to solve the problem of VR sickness would require a medical breakthrough. They implemented the bits they could do - higher refresh rate, lower latency, better head tracking, and software solutions.
Do you know what year this talk was from? I imagine it was one of his annual Connect talks so I could find it if I knew the year.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
They definitely will. Not to mention the plethora of solid VR games that already exist on Quest/PCVR that can be ported.

yeah, probably. I just like the game mechanics that come with games made for VR. Most non VR games ported to VR just means look around camera and point and aim with the controls, and you lose some of the fun vr mechanics. But maybe they will put more effort into it.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Honestly, this sort of gives me pause for buying a PSVR2, even as a PSVR1 owner. The industry seems to be moving to Quest/standalone in terms of software output. Is it going to be worth it for devs to port to the (initially small) PS5 PSVR2 user base?

Given how small the VR market is? Absolutely. That would be leaving money on the table.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
Is this confirmed? I'm having a hard time seeing Sony being that big of a loss leader for 2kx2k OLED hdr headset with eye tracking. That would easily be $1k+ on PC.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
[The hardware sounds amazing, but it's those games that are going to propel this to success.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
The hardware sounds pretty great, as expected. This bit has me a little nervous though.

While some games this can work well (Tetris Effect) other games are near impossible to replicate the cool or engaging features of the gameplay (Iron Man VR, Half Life Alyx, Gorilla Tag, etc etc). I trust devs to come up with some great VR stuff, but I don't know about the "catch-all" approach.
For whatever it's worth, I think Hitman 3 is a good example of how it can work. A third person stealth game that was converted into a full first person VR game with motion controls and physics stuff you'd expect from a VR game. In Hitman's case in particular what hurts it the most is being limited to the DualShock 4, but assuming that's no longer going to be an issue with PSVR2, I think it would've worked out amazingly.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
still skeptical about eye tracking. For focusing on areas maybe they can reduce around it but surely they can't have it fast enough to have a really small spot at high detail? So some savings but not huge. May be more useful for gameplay knowing where you're looking.

All sounds good - nothing too fancy really although good to hopefully back up a 4k screen. sounds pretty on par with the index but without base stations if they get it right. Could be amazing.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
it's been confirmed to use 1 wire for months now
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Seems exciting, but significantly less so if we're talking $499.
Unless they're losing money on each one, I can't see how it'll be cheaper. The only reason the Quest 2 is so cheap is because Oculus is subsidizing it to lock people into their ecosystem (and so they can harvest your sweet, sweet juices data).

W1ckedEvoX

Oct 27, 2017
110 FOV only? Isn't the current PSVR 96? Feel like that's not a big enough leap? FOV in the PSVR is one of my biggest gripes with the headset.

Carbon

Oct 27, 2017
110 FOV only? Isn't the current PSVR 96? Feel like that's not a big enough leap? FOV in the PSVR is one of my biggest gripes with the headset.
The original Vive is 110, and while it could be better, it's not as distracting as you might think. 120+ would obviously be better, but the wider you go, the more glass you have to shove into people's faces, and the larger the screen has to be.

At this point, I prefer lighter to better viewing angles tbh. Hopefully this thing is light, especially if it's tethered only with a wire.

W1ckedEvoX

Oct 27, 2017
The original Vive is 110, and while it could be better, it's not as distracting as you might think. 120+ would obviously be better, but the wider you go, the more glass you have to shove into people's faces, and the larger the screen has to be.

At this point, I prefer lighter to better viewing angles tbh. Hopefully this thing is light, especially if it's tethered only with a wire.

yea who am I kidding, most likely be getting it anyway lol!

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Sony want to move away from "VR experiences" and concentrate on AAA games with an aim to make hybrid games that are playable in both flat screen and VR. When those titles launch you can even select which version you want to download.
That's cool. My favourite VR things have been what would be/actually are 'flat' games in VR. so RE7, WipEout, Skyrim, etc.

Gusy

Oct 27, 2017
Disappointing fov, I feel like that's one of the most important things that's always missed, fov needs to be minimum 150

I'm super excited for this headset, but I agree with this. If we are in the chase of improving " Presence" .. for me this is the fundamental issue they need to address. Rather have the screen-door effect of the DK1 than a limited tunnel like FOV.

Still getting this day one..

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017

It's probably the only way the ND or SSM could justify doing VR, we'd still get full VR games too, possibly even more if a lot of the big AAA have VR modes.

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
...sure it's possible that Sony, and only Sony, has come up with new technology, but it's not something on the market that could just be bought for any price, or else you'd see at least one other niche headset with the technology.

People often forget that Sony has been researching VR for a long time before even PSVR became a thing. They're not new at this, so who knows what's possible?

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017

So then why is Carmack saying "maybe we should put haptics into a headset. Some people theorize it will help with simulator sickness" 11 months ago?

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Haptics are planned for the headset itself to reduce motion sickness and improve immersion
Using haptics to reduce motion sickness lines up with this patent published last year (translated from Japanese):

The inventors have studied a technique for reducing VR sickness by swinging the head of a user wearing an HMD using a vibration motor or the like provided on the front surface of a head-mounted display (HMD) housing. It is considered that VR sickness is caused by the difference between the movement of the viewpoint and the user's experience in the situation where a moving image showing the state of view from the viewpoint is displayed on the display unit of the HMD arranged in front of the user's eyes. Therefore, it is considered that VR sickness can be further reduced by linking the displayed moving image and the swing of the head.

This feature doesn't even exist:
  • Haptics are planned for the headset itself to reduce motion sickness and improve immersion
Oculus researched haptic and other solutions to reduce motion sickness for years and came up with nothing in hardware they could do, aside from including full motion simulators - sure it's possible that Sony, and only Sony, has come up with new technology, but it's not something on the market that could just be bought for any price, or else you'd see at least one other niche headset with the technology.
You might want to check the above patent filed in 2018 then.

Last edited:

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Using haptics to reduce motion sickness lines up with this patent published last year (translated from Japanese):

If we are pointing out patents, then the "Flexible Resolution Scaling" function is described exactly in a patent filed by Mark Cerny in June last year:
uspto.report

Varying Effective Resolution By Screen Location By Altering Rasterization Parameters Patent Application

U.S. Patent Application 20200302574 for Varying Effective Resolution By Screen Location By Altering Rasterization Parameters

The title is confusing but it basically means that the screen resolution per a set area is determined by some set of parameters, or in this case, the parameters being derived from eye tracking the specific area that is viewed, this specific implementation is also described in claim 0107

Dsezer

Sep 22, 2020
Yes, give me more games like RE 7, to this day its still an excellent example of a AAA game that can be played completely in VR or flatscreen

Cocobani

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
When this releases is when I'll finally try to buy a PS5. I said try because God know what stock is going to look like next year.

spectator

Jan 23, 2018
The title is confusing but it basically means that the screen resolution per a set area is determined by some set of parameters, or in this case, the parameters being derived from eye tracking the specific area that is viewed

I was trying to figure out what it could possibly be without involving eye tracking and couldn't come up with anything. So, now that we know that it does involve eye tracking... how does this differ from foveated rendering?

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I was trying to figure out what it could possibly be without involving eye tracking and couldn't come up with anything. So, now that we know that it does involve eye tracking... how does this differ from foveated rendering?

Varying resolution across the screen based on eye location is just one foveated rendering technique.

'Foveated rendering' is just an umbrella term for any rendering technique that makes use of your fovea's characteristics.

The reason Sony probably separated out and highlighted 'FSR', in this developer-orientated presentation, is that it's likely a standardised API thing for developers to use, something they get out of the box. While I guess they also expose raw eye tracking data to the application so it can do whatever additional application-specific foveated rendering it wants to do - e.g. a UE5 game using Nanite might dial down detail outside the fovea, a game using tessellation might tesselate according to gaze direction, a game like Dreams might render fewer splats outside the fovea etc. But all these things, including 'FSR', are foveated rendering techniques.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
From what I can tell it is basically one Foveated Rendering technique but Sony gave a different definition for what Foveated Rendering is, which will use a different technique, where instead it is probably referring to something similar to VRS, where the shading qualtiy is determined per pixel region. Basically you can use both approaches in conjunction. So basically you can both reduce the resolution and lower the shading rate, or provide a mixutre of both at different levels depending on the distance from the eye view. Like for example, the area of your outer fovea could be using a lower resolution and full shading quality while further away the resolution is lowered further and the shading quality is lowered as well.

EDIT: gofreak's explanation is probably more accurate than mine.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For whatever it's worth, I think Hitman 3 is a good example of how it can work. A third person stealth game that was converted into a full first person VR game with motion controls and physics stuff you'd expect from a VR game. In Hitman's case in particular what hurts it the most is being limited to the DualShock 4, but assuming that's no longer going to be an issue with PSVR2, I think it would've worked out amazingly.
That's a great point, I wasn't even thinking about Hitman. It seems cool, but like you said the controller and godawful tracking make it a bit hard to tell how good it really is.

Either way, I'm reserving judgement until I play stuff. I am all for support of VR by a company like Sony, especially when the only other super successful story is Facebook.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, give me more games like RE 7, to this day its still an excellent example of a AAA game that can be played completely in VR or flatscreen

I think/hope RE7 gives Sony the confidence to make that their approach to VR. Move the investment from VR dedicated games into adding in well tuned VR modes for their big first party games. The indie games and VR only games will come from third parties.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Remastered psvr1 games looool cmon
You don't want the stench of PS2/Move camera technology anywhere near PS5.

Let it go. It was serviceable on PS4 but it needs to die asap. I think all PS gamers should appreciate PS5 has BC with PS4 VR using V1 hardware. That's as far as I'd take it too.

NGVR needs to use only PS5 tech going forward. Trust me, based on these specs, it will be worth it.

Let's face it, if you want to enjoy Astro Bot, Rescue Mission on PS5....you CAN do it with V1 hardware.

A potential Astro Bot Rescue Mission Remaster can only benefit from the new tech. Think about it. (I am betting Asobi/Sony is gonna make this their launch flag ship title either free or as a pack in title. Watch )

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
You don't want the stench of PS2/Move camera technology anywhere near PS5.

Let it go. It was serviceable on PS4 but it needs to die asap. I think all PS gamers should appreciate PS5 has BC with PS4 VR using V1 hardware. That's as far as I'd take it too.

NGVR needs to use only PS5 tech going forward. Trust me, based on these specs, it will be worth it.

Let's face it, if you want to enjoy Astro Bot, Rescue Mission on PS5....you CAN do it with V1 hardware.

A potential Astro Bot Rescue Mission Remaster can only benefit from the new tech. Think about it. (I am betting Asobi/Sony is gonna make this their launch flag ship title either free or as a pack in title. Watch )

ultimately aren't most VR games just a display and a bunch of inputs? the headset is rotation and position in multiple axes, and the PSVR2 would be more accurate and stable vs PSVR1 so BC should be a much nicer experience. The controllers were either a DS4 which I assume Sony will incorporate enough sticks/buttons/triggers to emulate, especially if they're aiming for PS5flat/PSVR2 combo games.

Carbon

Oct 27, 2017
ultimately aren't most VR games just a display and a bunch of inputs? the headset is rotation and position in multiple axes, and the PSVR2 would be more accurate and stable vs PSVR1 so BC should be a much nicer experience. The controllers were either a DS4 which I assume Sony will incorporate enough sticks/buttons/triggers to emulate, especially if they're aiming for PS5flat/PSVR2 combo games.
PSVR 1 games were mostly sit-down/stationary affairs that all had to be playable just with a Dualshock 4 iirc. Also I believe they were mostly 180° experiences (due to camera limitations when turned away from camera), vs full 360° fully immersive experiences found on standalone headsets or PCVR.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
PSVR 1 games were mostly sit-down/stationary affairs that all had to be playable just with a Dualshock 4 iirc. Also I believe they were mostly 180° experiences (due to camera limitations when turned away from camera), vs full 360° fully immersive experiences found on standalone headsets or PCVR.

sure but if PSVR2 is a superset of PSVR1 features then it can still play PSVR1 games.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Everything they're doing sounds exciting, but Quest 2 having standalone is tough competition.

Cost and software obv will by v important.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
any ideas what "haptics" there are that improve helping:motion sickness?

this is one of the key things for me

There are lots of possibilities. What usually make people motion sick is the disconnect between what they are seeing and what their actual body is feeling,

For instance, a driving game where you crash into another car. The whole viewpoint shakes violently. But you are still sitting in your comfy chair and haven't moved an inch. Haptics could do some kind og light rumble in the headset simulating your body getting jolted. Obviously this would be mich lighter than the actual experience of crashing a car, but just that little bit of immersion is enough for your brain to fill in the blanks which would reduce the risk of motion sickness.

When you are using the chainsaw in doom and the rumble in the controller goes crazy, it feels nothing like a real chainsaw. But it adds to the illusion making it a much better experience than no rumble. This will be akin to that.

Carbon

Oct 27, 2017
sure but if PSVR2 is a superset of PSVR1 features then it can still play PSVR1 games.
This may be true (depending on the controllers), but then Sony doesn't get as much money.
But also, I'm guessing a fair number of the PSVR1 experiences could be significantly improved if they were "remastered" with the new movement freedom and controllers in mind.