• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm tired of this crap. Since last gen, each of the Big 3™ had poorly constructed controllers. Xbox One controllers, DualShock 4, Joy Cons and Pro Controller.

I've lost count with how many bumpers broke, joystick rubbers falling off, drifting like Tokyo, connection issues, faulty ports, etc etc etc, I've had and read others complaining about. It's overwhelming, honestly.

With the PS360Wii gen and before, I still have controllers in pristine condition. I'm still using a crisp Xbox 360 controller from the late 00's for Smash 64 online and some PC games, but can't keep a controller without some kind of issue for the gens after.

Xbox Elite controllers? Expensive crap. Great build and form factor with terrible longevity. My friend bought an Elite v2 last week only to have the left joystick stick to the right upon first use.

FIRST USE it literally sticks to the right. That's what eventually happened to my $20-30 Wii U Pro Nyko controller. I've also had to replace my Elite v2, thanks to drift.

=========//

So with that being said, I'm making this thread to track my own controller issues and hopefully there are others who will do the same.

Xbox Series X controllers + Elite v2
  • 6 months in, upward drift on left joystick of standard Series X controller, had to replace
  • Had to replace Elite v2 once already too due to drift and an unresponsive A button

PS5 DualSense controllers
  • Coil whine for the triggers, no urgency for replacement yet as it's not too bothersome

Switch controllers
  • Fuckin lol. Both Joy Cons drift -- Replaced joysticks on both Joy Cons once, worked for a while, back to drifting a bit, tho not as bad as before
  • My nephews have 6 Joy Cons, they all drift
  • Pro controller drifts a bit, no urgency to replace yet

Let's see how this goes. Feel free to join me on this journey 🙃 I wish I did this with last gen controllers. Seriously must be over 10 I had to get replaced..

Last edited:

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
PS4: No issues outside of the original stick peeling.

PS5: No issues, launch controller.

Switch: No issues, launch joycons + Pro controller.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Switch:
- two pairs of joy-con (launch pair from the system, and one of the ARMS-yellow ones from that same summer). Flawless.
- two pro controllers: Splatoon model, Smash model. Both flawless.

6/6 no issues (counting each joy con as one controller)

Oct 26, 2017
Are we tracking broken, or just listing all of our stuff...?

If just broken:

Switch Pro Controller had drift issues after a few months. Got it replaced. About a year later around Xenoblade Chronicles, new one started drifting.
Switch Joy-Cons...I think they've each had their internals replaced twice now as well? And they're back to drifting.

psionotic

May 29, 2019
Launch window Switch: both JoyCons have significant drift. Need to send them in. Bought a Pro Controller which I've had no issues with.

Launch PS5: two controllers, one with significant left-stick drift. Need to send it in.

(I really need to become less lazy and get these taken care of, clearly.)

Deleted member 44122

of my original 2 joycons i had to get one replaced twice and the other one once due to drift.
i have 2 dualshock 4 controllers and both of them developed a problem after a while where if you press/hold the right trigger it sometimes (rare but annoying when it happens) triggers a small movement to the left on the left joystick (funcitonally, not physically)

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
The only controllers I've ever had any real issues with are joy cons, I still have launch controllers for every other system that work perfectly from the NES to current. I'm not naive to say that an issue isn't present or anything but damn have I been lucky lol. Funny enough the system that has by far the least use with the controller is the one that has issues, I never use joycons.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Switch:
Launch joycons drift. Managed to fix this, though. They get disconnected constantly while playing Ring Fit, though, so had to buy a new pair. Pro Controller has worked flawlessly.

Don't have a PS5 or Xbox Series X. Both DS4 have worked fine, but my Xbox One Controller RT button, on top of making a noise each time I press it, doesn't register the input.

MoogleMaestro

Oct 25, 2017
My joycon on launch were broken with poor bluetooth reception. They repaired it for free at the time, I should note.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
The last time I had a controller issue was the left stick sticking a bit when doing full rotations on my release day X1 controller.
This was after 100%ing Forza 5.

And even then I think it was one of my friends who busted it, because I've noticed most people are WAY harder on controllers than I am.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
PS3: My original sixaxis still worked fine back when I sold my PS3
360: The controller I use to play on PC has drift issues
PS4: Launch controller had the stick peel issues and Rocket League killed my R2 trigger
PS5: No issues so far

Oct 27, 2017
Other than my dog eating one PS4 controller, launch PS4 controller right analog stick rubber peeling, and Xbox One controllers having trouble connecting in 2016-2018, no issues for me in like 10 years. Idk I guess my luck has got to run out soon.

launch joy cons, pro controller, dual sense, etc still working. I didn't keep my really PS4 controllers long enough before getting new ones coz I'm a sucker for transparent controllers so maybe that's how I avoided it.

my 2010 360 controller's bumpers don't always work and my 2013 Dual Shock 3 is still chugging, barely.

GoldenFlex

Alt Account
Banned
May 7, 2021
PS4 - Zero issues, still had my launch PS4 controller by the time I sold my PS4... pro in 2018.

Xbox One - Two controllers got stick draft in 2020

PS5 - no issues

Xbox series X - controller has random disconnect issues

Switch - No stick drift but two joycons just will not charge anymore

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Switch JoyCons: Launch ones that came with the console the left one's drift is really bad. I just play with my Switch Pro Controller instead since I primarily play docked.

DS4 for PS4: Sometimes the left stick has a deadzone and does not respond to that press area, but I clean it which solves it for a while.

XSX controller: Sometimes the Y button does not respond properly and I have to press it twice. It is kind of weird. Everything else about it is fine.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Original DS4 had some analog wear issues that forced me to replace the analog sticks. My white Xbox one controller has analogs are a bit worn, but not broken. For the most part I stayed ahead of any broken controllers by buying new ones once in a while.

OP
OP
FUNKNOWN iXi

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The last time I had a controller issue was the left stick sticking a bit when doing full rotations on my release day X1 controller.
This was after 100%ing Forza 5.

And even then I think it was one of my friends who busted it, because I've noticed most people are WAY harder on controllers than I am.
It's funny (not funny) how with some Xbox One controllers I've had, I deliberately avoided using bumpers in fear of issues by remapping them to the dpad for some games, but it was inevitable that a bumper always seemed to stop working.

I have NES, SNES, N64 controllers in great condition, but can't seem to have a new controller without some issue eventually lol. Unfortunate because I'm super careful and keep them clean, no dust on them or gunk build up, etc.

vrietje

Dec 4, 2018
Ps4: Bought the PSX grey one. Doesn't register te right stick properly. Result in your character walking and stop walking at random.
Switch: I think one joycon is drifting, but i don't know for sure.

RadioJoNES

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No issues with any PS4, PS5, or Xbox controller. My launch Joycons started drifting and having multiple A inputs though.

My elite v2 has been tolerable, but not ideal. My A button doesn't seem to work right, sometimes if I'm holding A to boost in Rocket League my boost will stop if I'm not holding down hard enough. The next issue is the caps for both the hair triggers fell off, leaving this little spike that I have to use my finger nail to switch.

I bought a 3 year extended warranty with that controller, so I'm waiting until near the end of that to swap exchange.

My son's Joycons are a fucking joke, I refused to buy him new ones and got him a pro controller instead. He was much happier

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ps4: one broken trigger during Bloodborne
Ps5: flawless
Switch joycons: lmao
Switch pro: flawless
Xbox elite: see joycons but 6 replacements with just about everything that could break doing so. Fuck this overpriced piece of crap.
Xbox normal controller: fine but only had it a couple months and haven't used it much. Time will tell

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
All of them have been varying degrees of terrible for me last gen. it's like MS forgot how to make bumpers, Nintendo forgot to make analog sticks, and Sony builds their controllers with bubble gum and a prayer - hope you get a good one, like I mostly have.

Xbox:
  • Titanfall controller LB/RB no registering
  • Titanfall controller sticking buttons
  • Elite V1 total failure of LB (broke internally)
  • Elite V1 LS loosening
Switch:
  • Grey joycons LS/RS stick drift
  • Neon joycons LS stick drift
  • Red joycons RS stick drift
  • Pro controller D-Pad registering up intermittently
Playstation:
  • Red controller: Intermittent headphone jack issues
  • Black & white Camo controller: analog stick peeling
For comparison sake, my previous gen stuff (all major consoles from Genesis to Wii U) have been fine. I had a PS2 controller that only worked with analog on for some reason but that's it.

Patar

Mar 4, 2021
Switch: drift on left joycon, about 2 years old.
PS5: stick drift on right stick, bought at launch. Second controller working fine.
Xbox SX: no issues so far

Fai

Mar 1, 2020
PS5: On day one I had an issue where both sticks would click midway through a movement, no matter the direction I moved the sticks.

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
20 hours of Returnal seems to have made my Dualsense's R2 loose. I've ordered some springs to fix it myself, but it's slightly worrying that they seem to be so fragile.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
PS5, XSX, none.

XBO and PS4, stick drift. I think one of these had an issue where the right stick would just spin, the camera wouldnt stop spinning in FPS games.

Neverx

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Sep 17, 2020
Florida
Switch, none of my pro or joy-con have drifted or have had any serious problems, I've gone through 5 PS4 controllers in the past 3 years that have all developed drift though.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
One Xbox Elite v1, peeled off palm rest, replaced with SCUF parts, LB finally gave in after about 6 years of continuous use. Everything else I have seemingly are all in good shape!

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
For the Switch, I had a Pro Controller & 2 pairs of joycons. 1 of the joycons stopped connecting to the Switch a few weeks later. Everything else worked fine.
No major problems with my PS4 controllers. No problems with the PS5 controller (but I haven't had it for very long).

mowmow

Aug 22, 2018
My Ps5 controller R2 spring broke like 2 weeks ago? Which resulted in the light touches to the R2 triggering the button. (launch PS5) I bought the spring and easily replaced it.

Edit: added context

Last edited:

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
+ Three pairs of Joycons, all drift.

+ One Pro controller, drift.

+ One Series X controller, dropped inputs.

Both Dualsense controllers still going strong. To summarize my feelings, fix your fucking shit, Nintendo.

Taneleer

Dec 20, 2017
PNW
Switch, I had the neon green/pink pair. The green stick started drifting, I replaced and bought the Mario red switch, solid so far after a year and a half. 1 Pro controller for almost 2 years and no issues.

Xbox One/Series controllers, all 3 have been perfectly after years of use for the X1 controller and nearly 7 months for my Series X controllers.

PS4, the original black one had a drifting left stick, just tossed it into my closet and haven't used it since, I bought two replacements and they've been fine all this time.

PS5, only been three months and no issues so far.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I'm on my second joycon pair already. My launch ones had both a bad connection and drifted to high heaven. These ones are lasting, thankfully. My Pro is flawless

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
Had to send in my joycons and my nephews joycons multiple times for drift issues. Still have to make another drift repair, I'm salty about them still.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
PS5 - Right trigger losing resistance. Only played 20 hours of Watch Dog and 1 hours of DMC V

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
My first pair of Switch joycons both needed replacement. The left one started to drift, and the right one lost the ability to click the stick down (R3). This happened maybe a year after purchase, after playing a lot of Enter the Gungeon.

Nintendo repaired both for free, so there's that at least. But their joycons really do suck and need improving. They're why I refuse to buy a Switch Lite.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I've sent my joycon in twice for official repair and have replaced the thumbsticks twice myself.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
One of my DualSense controllers has a faulty spring in the right trigger, so it has zero resistance anymore (unless the adaptive triggers are engaged).

I've gotta call Sony about that. Not looking forward to paying for shipping and them probably making me pay for repairs.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
1. DS4: Rubber inside R2 wore down from use and wouldn't fully press to 100%, fixed myself
2. DS4 Crystal v2: Drift out of box, had it replaced by Sony
3. Joycon: Drift

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Other than the peeling joystick issue on the early ds4 I've had no issues with any of mine. If it counts though my vita left stick drifts up making it nearly unusable.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Switch: broken joycon clip, broken joystick button, joystick rubber sheered off, bad joystick dead zone on pro controller.

There is more tech crammed into this console the the DS or 3DS but boy is it fragile...

Probably spent over $100 in repairs already.

Fiksi

Oct 27, 2017
Issues I've had is original PS4 controller sticks wearing down, and Original Switch Joy-Cons drifting (and struggling to connect when attached).

Had an Elite V2 for 6 months without issue so far, kinda scared for it with all I hear :P

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I think 4 (?) DS4s with drift, and a Dualsense with drift. The dualsense beat the previous record held by DS4 for fast development of drift (think it lasted little over a month)

Trash controller. Oh but it has haptics and triggers zzzzz

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Quoting an old post of mine which has some irrelevant info but has info pertaining this topic's question:

Here's the issues I've had:

First 360 controller - RB button stopped working, D-Pad was borderline useless and would sometimes register Up or Down when pressing left or right
Second 360 controller - RB button stopped working, Analogue sticks went "flat", whatever the material of their D-Pads was, it got washed down by my fingers somehow
Both 360 controllers - battery died in less than a year, completely. It was rarely ever fully discharged, it was charged only when necessary. Both died in months, swore to never buy one of Microsoft's batteries again
First Xbox One controller - RB stopped working (Deja-vu)
Second Xbox One controller (current one) - has a very thin but noticeable crack between the A and B buttons. Just to be clear, I'm not rough with my controllers at all, and typically controllers tend to outlast the consoles I bought them for. Also one of the rumbling motors for some reason seems to have become slightly detached leading to an annoying high-pitched sound whenever the controller vibrates. It has never been dropped or thrown.
Both Xbox One controllers (in Bluetooth mode) - occasionally hang and don't register inputs. At first I thought this was due to my very weak Bluetooth dongle so I purchased a TP-Link Archer TX50e (a very good wireless network card for my PC, wifi is turned off on it currently) and though they became less common, this is still an issue I have to deal with on occasion. This wasn't an issue with either of the Xbox 360 controllers and my Playstation controller doesn't exhibit the same issue in bluetooth mode.

Here's all the issues I've had with Playstation controllers:

Dualshock 1 - None
Dualshock 2 - None (but boy those analogue face buttons are useless)
Dualshock 3 - None
Dualshock 4 - Battery died in under 2 years, the rubbery-coating of the left analogue stick ripped apart

Issues I've had with Nintendo controllers

NES - None
SNES - None
N64 - None
Gamecube - None
Wii - Outside of the constant calibration required to play certain titles (like Skyward Sword), none
Wii U - None
Switch - Joycon drift

Sega controllers (from Genesis to Dreamcast)

None. With any of them.

tiebreaker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Just one DS4, doesn't hold charge anymore. And it's the 20th anniversary edition ...

Joycon has drifting issue.

That's it.