• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Their normal OLEDs have the tv tuner and everything built into the panel. Im asking for the I/O in a separate box a la One Connect.
That's basically all the W is though? Just ignore the sound bar functionality if you don't want it.

With the normal OLED's the "box" is visibly separate, even if it's connected at the bottom. I wouldn't really consider that "the panel" though I suppose technically it is The top half of the screen is still nearly as thin as the W.

Without the box at the base I don't think the OLED panel could even support itself. It probably needs to either be on the wall or have the lower support from the standard models.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
I can wait to play Athem on my new 65" C9 on the X in late March. I've waited until 2013 to upgrade.

No42.05W70.2

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
That's basically all the W is though? Just ignore the sound bar functionality if you don't want it.

With the normal OLED's the "box" is visibly separate, even if it's connected at the bottom. I wouldn't really consider that "the panel" though I suppose technically it is The top half of the screen is still nearly as thin as the W.

Without the box at the base I don't think the OLED panel could even support itself. It probably needs to either be on the wall or have the lower support from the standard models.
You can't just "ignore" the soundbar functionality. The panel's power supply is baked into the soundbar. The point is to get rid of the excess weight so that you can orient the panel the way you want to without wall mounting. If a 65 inch display only weighs 20lbs, you can use a much more versatile display stand, with more adjustments.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can't just "ignore" the soundbar functionality. The panel's power supply is baked into the soundbar. The point is to get rid of the excess weight so that you can orient the panel the way you want to without wall mounting. If a 65 inch display only weighs 20lbs, you can use a much more versatile display stand, with more adjustments.
I mean you could, but it's been almost a decade since we've had TV's with nice, sturdy, highly adjustable stands. They're more expensive so they get cut. The type of stand that would be required for an OLED "W" panel would be even more complicated since the flimsy screen isn't sturdy enough to support itself on its own. The lower half of the current OLED sets also serve to keep the top half stable. Even then the larger panels can wobble.

No42.05W70.2

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
I mean you could, but it's been almost a decade since we've had TV's with nice, sturdy, highly adjustable stands. They're more expensive so they get cut. The type of stand that would be required for an OLED "W" panel would be even more complicated since the flimsy screen isn't sturdy enough to support itself on its own. The lower half of the current OLED sets also serve to keep the top half stable. Even then the larger panels can wobble.
Um I mean LG charges 15k for the W series, for the privilege of using a wall mount. That rollable OLED is going to cost god knows how much. Don't you think LG charges more for those SKUs because of how marketable they are, and not the actual cost of the components? It would be a lot more economical to just sell the panel, without any built in audio, and a mounting system that lets users choose a stand that it appropriate for their set up. You could have monitor arm style mounts, easel type mounts like the Sony OLED sets, or a variety of different free standing mounts. Users should be able to choose what solution they want for their setup.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
And are we gonna pretend the rolling mechanism costs an extra 15k to produce, or admit that LG is trying to use its hold on the OLED market to turn a profit on premium models?

From what I understand they don't turn a profit on OLED currently at all and aren't expected to until 2022ish
That display isn't made for normal humans, anyway, it's for people that live in houses like that, where 30K is nothing.

It's a Ferrari of TVs.

No42.05W70.2

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
From what I understand they don't turn a profit on OLED currently at all and aren't expected to until 2022ish
That display isn't made for normal humans, anyway, it's for people that live in houses like that, where 30K is nothing.

It's a Ferrari of TVs.
I'm pretty sure they make some profit on the OLEDs at this point. Its just a small margin vs the large margin OEMs take on LEDs. And yes, that's my point about the rollable OLED. Its just a way to sell an overpriced product for rich people. The stand itself is not expensive for them to produce.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I'm pretty sure they make some profit on the OLEDs at this point. Its just a small margin vs the large margin OEMs take on LEDs. And yes, that's my point about the rollable OLED. Its just a way to sell an overpriced product for rich people. The stand itself is not expensive for them to produce.

They aren't expected to make any profit on OLED TVS until 2022, but only if they can switch production from Korea to China, which the government may not allow.
That's using a baseline of 55inch models, which are cheaper to make per unit - not accounting for the shift in preference for larger displays.

This is no doubt at least in part Samsung's reasoning for holding back, as neither company is entirely vertically integrated and will be buying fabrication process from others.

No42.05W70.2

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
They aren't expected to make any profit on OLED TVS until 2022, but only if they can switch production from Korea to China, which the government may not allow.
That's using a baseline of 55inch models, which are cheaper to make per unit - not accounting for the shift in preference for larger displays.

This is no doubt at least in part Samsung's reasoning for holding back, as neither company is entirely vertically integrated and will be buying fabrication process from others.
They reported a profit in the third quarter of last year.
https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1541074266

No42.05W70.2

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
LG display also make other types of displays are a separate company to LG electronics who sell the actual displays, so I don't know if that press release gives enough data about it to be honest.
Well I think the bottom line is they don't need to sell the W series or the roll series to make a profit on these panels. These make up a small percentage of profit, and they could actually sell more tvs by simply offering better model configurations for AV enthusiasts.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
Is the C segment of LG good? I was always a Samsung/Sony guy. But these specs look so promising I cant pass it.
I'm a Sony guy as well. The C series includes LG best processor the A9 Gen 2.
It will try to compete with Sony X1 Ultimate but I don't expect it to be quite as good. However the C9's full HDMI 2.1 spec and extensive calibration options including game mode should compensate.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Recently my SONY STR-DA4400 ES died (receiver). It lasted me a good 10 years and now it won't turn on. Heck, when I bought this my TV didn't even have HDMI. It was a DVI connector! (SONY HDTV TUBE TV). So I bought a new AVR (Denon X4500H), and was pretty hype but now seeing all this HDMI 2.1 stuff makes me wonder. However, I have no other AVR and listening to my TV speakers for a device that might be a year away will be painful! And luckily...there is an eARC firmware upgrade! (Phew).

An advantage- I still have no 4K game console, or 4K TV. So...hopefully I can get a future TV that supports eARC fully. It's too bad the AVR's won't recognize stuff like VRR when I read 2.1 isn't even necessary for it. The bandwidth is there at least.

It's a bummer the tech is never quite on the same page. 1080p era lasted me a good while with everything playing nice. Now tech compatibility pains again.

I will definitely do my homework when my TV dies. I think an HDTV with full 2.1 at 75 inches will be financially painful though. I will really have to decide what features I care most for.

Last edited:

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, my wait was worth it and I don't have to hold out longer. My TV is 12 years old now and you really notice it.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So im buying my first oled this year. Am i better off waiting for one of these or buying a c8 model from last year? Im probably going to get the 55 which will be smaller than my current lg 4k lcd screen which is 65 but i feel the increase in image quality will justify it. I am primarily using it for an xbox one x, a ps4 pro, and a 4k player. Are there any special tweaks in the settings i will have to make for those?

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So im buying my first oled this year. Am i better off waiting for one of these or buying a c8 model from last year? Im probably going to get the 55 which will be smaller than my current lg 4k lcd screen which is 65 but i feel the increase in image quality will justify it. I am primarily using it for an xbox one x, a ps4 pro, and a 4k player. Are there any special tweaks in the settings i will have to make for those?

HDR is a study on ita own, to understand that its just insane. My best friend bought 55" C8. Its an amazing TV but Im waiting for C9 myself.

ZmillA

Oct 27, 2017
I'm very happy with my 55 B8 I just bought. I can wait until I can get a 65" OLED for $1600

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
So Samsung's top of the line 4K QLED (Q90) 65" is $3500 MSRP. Interesting to see how LG approaches that with the C9. They could conceivably have a higher price since it's OLED with 2.1, etc. but I would assume they want to be competitive even for the average consumer.

omark

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Italy
https://www.4kfilme.de/lg-preise-termine-neue-4k-oled-fernseher/

8fb5ae57-d8d6-4e6d-b2c9-c1bf5d1a6080.png

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry to necro this thread, but any more news? LG's website is a mess for trying to compare TVs and find out how they actually differ so I'd rather see what you guys think on these models.

I'm starting to think about what TV is need to put aside some cash for in time fore next year and PS5. The plan is to wait until these are cheaper (unless the 2020 models are a huge jump over them) and pick up a C9 or something.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to necro this thread, but any more news? LG's website is a mess for trying to compare TVs and find out how they actually differ so I'd rather see what you guys think on these models.

I'm starting to think about what TV is need to put aside some cash for in time fore next year and PS5. The plan is to wait until these are cheaper (unless the 2020 models are a huge jump over them) and pick up a C9 or something.

No one has tested VRR on these yet, sadly. RTINGS' review will be out this week. I'd wait until that drops before making a decision.

Oct 27, 2017
No one has tested VRR on these yet, sadly. RTINGS' review will be out this week. I'd wait until that drops before making a decision.
ah cool, thats closer than I was expecting.

I'm not buying any time soon, its just that the PS5/XB2 discussions that ramped up this last week have got me hyped and planning for next gen and how much I should think about saving etc.

XxLeonV

Nov 8, 2017
C7 user here and damn the C9 sounds great. I have no real reason to upgrade, but man I can't wait to hear new OLED owners discussing these new features (that way I can gauge how jealous I should really be lol).

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
So, I just found out that apparently the VRR capabilities of this are worthless to me because Nvidia is only allowing Freesync over their cards to work via displayport, which this TV (and as far as I know, all TVs) lack? This is so frustrating.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
So, I just found out that apparently the VRR capabilities of this are worthless to me because Nvidia is only allowing Freesync over their cards to work via displayport, which this TV (and as far as I know, all TVs) lack? This is so frustrating.
Yeah it sucks. However I expect we'll get a DP to HDMI 2.1 adapter from Club3D at some point in the next year. Failing that, will just have to wait until Nvidia's future cards support 2.1.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it sucks. However I expect we'll get a DP to HDMI 2.1 adapter from Club3D at some point in the next year. Failing that, will just have to wait until Nvidia's future cards support 2.1.
Oh, I didn't even think of an adapter. I guess I figured DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 with full support wouldn't be possible. If it is, that is exciting!

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
You don't need HDMI 2.1 hardware to support VRR over HDMI. AMD should support it with their current GPUs - though not at 4K120.
Whether it's possible for NVIDIA's current GPUs to support it, and whether they will actually release updated drivers with support, is currently unknown. I expect they will eventually.

What concerns me more is the reports that 120Hz BFI was removed from the display shortly before launch due to hardware issues. It's possible that the feature will return via a firmware update, but I wouldn't count on it.
Looks like I'll probably be passing on this generation again, unless my current TV dies.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Has it been stated if the C9 will handle non-metadata HDR signals differently? This is why the previous models have their infamous dim game mode in HDR, as PS4 and Xbox do not supply metadata for HDR games so the LG OLEDs treat them as if they're delivering a 10,000 nit signal and tonemaps them down, when in fact the signal put out by most games are much lower than that.