• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Alright, I'm out of this thread for a bit.

We've reached peak stupid, so I'm peacing out until some folks take a xanax or get some fresh air. I'd say it's been fun, but...

Jesus Christ. 🤦‍♂️

RagingAvatar

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester
1. BC titles will play as they did on PS4 or PS4 Pro
2. BC titles may play at higher frame rates and resolutions of those are unlocked and you are using boost mode on PS5.
3. Titles should load quicker across the board due to the sheer speed of the SSD, even without patches.
4. Do not expect enhancements without the developer's announcing them and without a patch.

no offence but some of your answers are guesses.

Oct 25, 2017
no offence but some of your answers are guesses.

The Cerny Road to PS5 talked about how the PS5 can run in a PS4 or PS4 Pro state as a fall back if boost mode breaks the game. Boost mode gives the PS4 game access to the more powerful PS5 hardware. So games with unlocked framerates or dynamic resolution should see improvements.

So based on what we've been told that's all correct

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Platform Waring; Concern Trolling; History of the Same
Wait, so basically its a glimpse of the console and just two games in all of these videos. Any videos of them showing the console off more? Can we see the back? When will we see them turn it on? boot time? Any Db ratings? Bruh ...........................

kikuchiyo

Nov 9, 2017
The range of possible outcomes for the quality of the user experience makes it not worth pouring so much energy. It's going to be fine at a minimum. The idea that this needs to be some great concern is predicated on the ridiculous notion that it will or could reasonably be a disaster.

Its actually kind of disingenuous to the level of concern trolling to put so much importance on the ui.

I am not "concern trolling," and I believe you need to not say that to everyone that has different priorities to you. As I noted I mentioned why I think UX and UI are important.

In addition, first I've got the DE preordered, so your implied take that as a "concern troll" I'm shilling for Xbox is bullshit. I don't have the XSX preordered but likely will purchase once the launch hype dies down. Two, one of the reasons I chose PS4 over XBOX as my primary system (I ended up picking an XBX later down the road) was the complexity of the initial UI screen on MS's console, in addition to the fact it had advertisements on it (much to my chagrin Sony has been doing this as well lately). What MS chose to emphasize - a messy Home Screen and advertisements on a premium product gave me a sense of their priorities. Third I both am a UX designer and a design instructor. I can understand the take that maybe UX/UI is not important to you. But I go to my class three times a week explaining to students how critical UX/UI design is, how it's a conversation between creators and users, a statement about the product itself, and the life blood of the users interaction and experience with it. If you are unable to grok that, it's not "concern trolling," it's your lack of perspective.

PS4's UI has changed over the years. Not for the best all the time, particularly if you have a lot of games. They've added PSN sales. They have emphasized social networking. There was a 6 month period where I would get spam via PS4 messaging which would alert on my PS4 and my phone through the app. The app itself is a pretty amazing piece of crap. As I suggested above the UI and UX will also help inform us how Sony sees the market, what it wants to push, and how it will balance its needs vs. user needs. How will my huge library of PS4 games show up? Will they be regular titles or will BC be tucked away somewhere? As a consumer electronics company Sony has crafted some absolutely terrible UI. The UX of the confirm button change is a big deal in Japan just by itself (if you want my bonafides, I have one US phat PS1/one JP slim PS1, one US/two JP PS2s, one US/one JP PS3 slim, one US PSP Go, one US/one JP PSTV, one Japanese original Vita, in addition to US PS4; this button change is a big deal for me too). How will that work with PS4 games? How will my downloaded PS4 games on an ssd and their save files come over (if they do - I've shelved my copy of Yakuza 7 because its save file won't). I've been playing a lot of FF14 lately - am I going to be able to get into the game more quickly or more slowly? Will the web version of the PS Store work on safari again? Will the console version be easier to navigate and faster? So I think your rationalization that it can't be a disaster is also bullshit. I think it's unlikely but it's not outside there realm of possibility - to use some other Sony products or even the PSN store. Maybe it's not a disaster but I am interested in these questions because they impact my day to day with the machine.

Last edited:

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, so basically its a glimpse of the console and just two games in all of these videos. Any videos of them showing the console off more? Can we see the back? When will we see them turn it on? boot time? Any Db ratings? Bruh ...........................
I've resigned myself to waiting until release to find out if the system even has Remote Play. I don't think there has been any news on that in the last year.

I almost never play games on my TV anymore, I either play my Switch in portable mode, or in-home-stream from my PC to my iPad.
So until I know if the PS5 can do it (and if it can, how good it is), I'm not even going to attempt a pre-order.

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
I've resigned myself to waiting until release to find out if the system even has Remote Play. I don't think there has been any news on that in the last year.

I almost never play games on my TV anymore, I either play my Switch in portable mode, or in-home-stream from my PC to my iPad.
So until I know if the PS5 can do it (and if it can, how good it is), I'm not even going to attempt a pre-order.

The PS4 pioneered remote play to PC and mobile devices. Why would the PS5 not be able to do it?

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
The PS4 pioneered remote play. Why would the PS5 not be able to do it?
Look, I'm aware of that, and I'm fairly confident it will, but having no word from Sony this close to launch isn't exactly building my confidence.

Maybe it'll be there are launch, maybe constraints from Covid has made it a feature that'll come after launch, maybe it requires a brand new Remote Play app which may or may not be finished yet.
I just don't know because there hasn't been any news yet.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
UI is important, but I'm never going to NOT buy a console just because the UI sucks.

The games are what matters the most.

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
Look, I'm aware of that, and I'm fairly confident it will, but having no word from Sony this close to launch isn't exactly building my confidence.

Maybe it'll be there are launch, maybe constraints from Covid has made it a feature that'll come after launch, maybe it requires a brand new Remote Play app which may or may not be finished yet.
I just don't know because there hasn't been any news yet.

I wouldn't think too much about it. I hope they are giving the console out to content creators early to let them fiddle with the creator studio and the new functions of the OS. This way they will have real use cases to show in a week or two without having to make up some cringy fake like in the PS4 presentation.

They still have the teardown and some other things left to show and that will very likely be before launch. Even if they show it after launch it wont really matter because unless you were lucky enough to get a pre-order in you probably wont be able to buy one until next year.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
The PS4 pioneered remote play to PC and mobile devices. Why would the PS5 not be able to do it?
Yeah, and I think it was just last year the remote play app got a refresh (I remember trying out the iOS one on my phone just to see it in action at least once) so I can't see why it won't.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017

This has a nice demonstration of the pressure required to use the adaptive triggers under different circumstances. Sounds like it works great in combination with the haptic feedback.

This thing looks pretty damn premium up close, hoping the new triggers might be compatible through Steam later on.
Face buttons and d-pad look largely unchanged, great news.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everything looks good outside of the console look itself. PS5 looks like it will dominate next gen again along with Switch

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
Are we even sure that those games and TV are connected to the PS5?
I mean it could be connected to a PC being covered by that tv stand.

xkSSDIZ.jpg

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I am not "concern trolling," and I believe you need to not say that to everyone that has different priorities to you. As I noted I mentioned why I think UX and UI are important.

In addition, first I've got the DE preordered, so your implied take that as a "concern troll" I'm shilling for Xbox is bullshit. I don't have the XSX preordered but likely will purchase once the launch hype dies down. Two, one of the reasons I chose PS4 over XBOX as my primary system (I ended up picking an XBX later down the road) was the complexity of the initial UI screen on MS's console, in addition to the fact it had advertisements on it (much to my chagrin Sony has been doing this as well lately). What MS chose to emphasize - a messy Home Screen and advertisements on a premium product gave me a sense of their priorities. Third I both am a UX designer and a design instructor. I can understand the take that maybe UX/UI is not important to you. But I go to my class three times a week explaining to students how critical UX/UI design is, how it's a conversation between creators and users, a statement about the product itself, and the life blood of the users interaction and experience with it. If you are unable to grok that, it's not "concern trolling," it's your lack of perspective.

PS4's UI has changed over the years. Not for the best all the time, particularly if you have a lot of games. They've added PSN sales. They have emphasized social networking. There was a 6 month period where I would get spam via PS4 messaging which would alert on my PS4 and my phone through the app. The app itself is a pretty amazing piece of crap. As I suggested above the UI and UX will also help inform us how Sony sees the market, what it wants to push, and how it will balance its needs vs. user needs. How will my huge library of PS4 games show up? Will they be regular titles or will BC be tucked away somewhere? As a consumer electronics company Sony has crafted some absolutely terrible UI. The UX of the confirm button change is a big deal in Japan just by itself (if you want my bonafides, I have one US phat PS1/one JP slim PS1, one US/two JP PS2s, one US/one JP PS3 slim, one US PSP Go, one US/one JP PSTV, one Japanese original Vita, in addition to US PS4; this button change is a big deal for me too). How will that work with PS4 games? How will my downloaded PS4 games on an ssd and their save files come over (if they do - I've shelved my copy of Yakuza 7 because its save file won't). I've been playing a lot of FF14 lately - am I going to be able to get into the game more quickly or more slowly? Will the web version of the PS Store work on safari again? Will the console version be easier to navigate and faster? So I think your rationalization that it can't be a disaster is also bullshit. I think it's unlikely but it's not outside there realm of possibility - to use some other Sony products or even the PSN store. Maybe it's not a disaster but I am interested in these questions because they impact my day to day with the machine.

Its an important element. But also I doubt a quick 10 minute youtube video is going to give people enough of an understanding how it'll actually feel to use - anything from Sony will be in short controlled bursts likely with steps/time removed to keep the video clean. You need hours to bed in with a new UX and provide feedback. That might come from gaming websites/youtubers, it might not come until the machine is launched - depending whether they're holding the final OS for launch as an update or not I guess.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
What if, and call me crazy. What if, the console was just standing there because they wanted to show it of for people watching the stream. And it would be really ugly presentation wise to have all the cables running everywhere. So the tv was hooked up to another ps5? Crazy right. So thats why the console was so cool after playing games. And the airconditioning unit they where hearing in the background was actually the real ps5 that was hooked up.

P.s. just wanted join the crazy.

Last edited:

uncleniccius

Nov 3, 2017
Does anyone think Sony is gonna stray further away from the current UI on PS4? It's brilliant and functional.
I mean, it might be on a console with an SSD but it isn't on the original PS4. Anyone who has tried to invite a friend to a party while in a game can tell you that.

Serviceable at best, I don't hate it but hope they change it at least slightly. It might sound ridiculous but this is one of my main reasons for upgrading - using the PS4 out of games is a nightmare that takes forever. That and load times are huge QOL improvements that (should) be present.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

This has a nice demonstration of the pressure required to use the adaptive triggers under different circumstances. Sounds like it works great in combination with the haptic feedback.

Thanks for posting. Controller looks so premium and feature rich. I'm genuinely excited to use it and experience all these new gameplay affecting additions.

On a side note, anyone know how long Astro's Playroom is?

Grim

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK.
I mean, it might be on a console with an SSD but it isn't on the original PS4. Anyone who has tried to invite a friend to a party while in a game can tell you that.

Serviceable at best, I don't hate it but hope they change it at least slightly. It might sound ridiculous but this is one of my main reasons for upgrading - using the PS4 out of games is a nightmare that takes forever. That and load times are huge QOL improvements that (should) be present.

Obviously basic improvements and QoL upgrades are to be expected, lol.

Straying far away from how their UI is currently presented is not something I see them doing, that doesn't mean no changes at all.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
That's a huge deal. Does that mean people can no longer sell their disc copies of games?

I remember reading something about being able to convert your disc license to a digital license. I would imagine this error only showing up for people that opted to convert their discs to digital.

Anyways that's assuming the pic is real.
I can't imagine Sony going Don Mattrick on us.