• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
I mean is there any chance that some republicans back out due to all the shit going down with trump ect. I feel so powerless.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
I mean is there any chance that some republicans back out due to all the shit going down with trump ect. I feel so powerless.
Honestly? No.
You'd be blowing up what's left of the judicial system. Might as well just say "I want the courts to be elected every 2-4 years." Be honest with yourself and others.
The Supreme Court has been a partisan institution for some time now. We'll get nowhere by pretending it's some neutral arbiter of justice and constitutionality. Treat it like what it is.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I like how everybody else had an air of politeness yet Senator Hirono just went in for the kill in calling him a blatant Republican shill.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Don't worry everyone, dems have already begun ramping up from "pretty please" to "pretty please with a cherry on top"

It's only a matter of time before republicans cave.

This is theater for 2018 and 2020. The Dems have no other play but vocal, ineffective obstructionism right now. They're basically cutting campaign ads, which is what they need to do because they lost this fight in 2016.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I'll amend that statement.

If John Kyl is sworn in before the confirmation vote, giving Republicans 51 again, you might see Moderate Darling Sue Collins get to act ~~~concerned~~~ (despite the fact that she approved of him before his nomination) and vote no, forcing Pence to tiebreak.

But he's getting confirmed one way or the other.

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hey Corey Booker, remove your lips from Grassley's ass, you pansey.

Jesus, pls don't run in 2020

Oct 27, 2017
How will Trump be brought down when the SC can shield him from all investigations and impeachment attempts?

If he controls the SC and the Senate, he's above the law.

2nd amendment? Not that it would ever happen, but literally the purpose of it lol.

Funny how trump's support always scream about the 2nd amendment and don't realize that the founders wrote that shit literally in case people like trump rose to power.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Hey Corey Booker, remove your lips from Grassley's ass, you pansey

It's fucking pathetic. Dude will never get near the presidency being this much of a coward who still somehow does not understand the republicans do not give a single shit and all of their words are empty. Every word Grassley said about "our friendship won't be affected" means NOTHING.

L.E.D.

Oct 27, 2017

You are powerless.
This government was literally designed to make sure that most of it's people had no power or say in how their country should be run.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
How will Trump be brought down when the SC can shield him from all investigations and impeachment attempts?

If he controls the SC and the Senate, he's above the law.
The House, which is likely to be Democratic come January, impeaches. They will investigate him with, to borrow his phrase, fire and fury.

Quite a few people have been indicted. Even if he pardons federal charges, we still have state investigations.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017

Isnt that the John Cena sign?

john-cena-ok.jpg

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so sick of this cursed country. I just need to get the hell out before the stress of living here kills me. Everything about our political system is just broken beyond repair.

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
BOOKER YOU ARE CRYING AND TRYING TO APPEAL TO A PARTISAN HACK.

You should be screaming your ass off.

"This isn't fair, I don't think?" [points with politician thumb]

Weak ass.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Corey Booker please shut the fuck up and let someone with some actual fire speak. He's stammering all over himself in fear of offending Grassley.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The House, which is likely to be Democratic come January, impeaches. They will investigate him with, to borrow his phrase, fire and fury.

Quite a few people have been indicted. Even if he pardons federal charges, we still have state investigations.
The House alone is not enough.

Trump's lawyers will fight every charge, in their own words "up to the Supreme Court." That's why this is so important, Kavanaugh will almost ensure he gets bailed out if things ever even get that far.

Corey Booker please shut the fuck up and let someone with some actual fire speak. He's stammering all over himself in fear of offending Grassley.

Booker is a really weak speaker, but I'm fine with him just wasting time. If Kavanaugh is getting in, let's at least make them work for it.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh whether or not that's a widely recognized "sign" doesn't negate the fact that no one would ever have their hand resting in that position lol

That's some major contortionism going on

GrooveCommand

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We have elections in 63 days.

I know, and I'll be voting for sure!

That father didn't feel powerless. That's inspiring.

And I know this is the tiniest of consolations, but this is by far the weirdest confirmation hearing I've ever seen, weirder than Bork even. The nominee doesn't seem like he wants to be there, the head of the judicial committee can keep a talking point straight, just about all of the public gallery seats were protestors, and Democrats have been united in opposition (I know this is just the committee and not the full Senate, but still). All of them are operating as if they are not powerless.

I didn't catch that father part (the parkland victim's father right?), I tried to rewind the live stream on youtube but couldn't find it - do you have a link by chance?

It's great to see so many people standing up and speaking out about the situation and that gives me hope. But this is a lifetime appointment that could have grim consequences for the liberties of the most vulnerable people in our country. I have no doubt that Kavanaugh will be confirmed. No amount of silver linings are enough to get rid of the feeling in the pit of my stomach today. The reality is that our last chance to stop this was 2016 and we blew it royally.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Eh whether or not that's a widely recognized "sign" doesn't negate the fact that no one would ever have their hand resting in that position lol

That's some major contortionism going on

Yes, someone would. I can actually think of times that I've done it. Stop looking for signs and symbols in everything.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Havent watched one of these before and im only skimming through it while I put off my homework, but does Kavanaugh ever get a chance to speak during this?

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2nd amendment? Not that it would ever happen, but literally the purpose of it lol.

Funny how trump's support always scream about the 2nd amendment and don't realize that the founders wrote that shit literally in case people like trump rose to power.
They wrote it as a vesting clause against the federal government applying the supremacy clause to regulate away the state militias, not to enshrine revolution.

There is no point in writing "The people have the right to violently overthrow the government and estsblish a new order for society" into a charter which would be invalidated in the event said provision were to be executed.

The right of revolution isn't granted or denied by any document

Fridge Freezer

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2018
They would have their hand in that position if it was relaxed. You know like a normal fucking person sitting all day. Why have people lost the ability to understand how humans work or how they themselves work?

GrooveCommand

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"P-p-p-please sir.."

He's a fucking wimp.

Grassley:
"Move on to your opening statement"

Booker:
"....ok..."

Fuck outta here

Such a milquetoast. Why won't any Democrats just come out and say that all their counterparts on the other side of the aisle are hypocrites and scumbags that are putting party over country? It's disgusting how a lot of the Democrats make sure to preface their comments by unloading praise onto Grassley who as far as I can tell is a huge piece of shit.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Don't buy into this stupidity.

There is no "white power" hand sign, the lady is just resting her hand that way.

Let's not become a mirror to the tin-foil hat wearing conspiracy dumbasses on the right.

It's not stupid and it is actually a white power hand sign though? I'm not saying there's enough evidence to suggest she meant to do it but watch this if you have the time:

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Booker listing out all of the Republicans' misdeeds.

Grassley and Kavanaugh thinking "Why's this dude wasting time listing out our accomplishments?"

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Such a milquetoast. Why won't any Democrats just come out and say that all their counterparts on the other side of the aisle are hypocrites and scumbags that are putting party over country? It's disgusting how a lot of the Democrats make sure to preface their comments by unloading praise onto Grassley who as far as I can tell is a huge piece of shit.

Exactly. We are so long past the point of Booker's antiquated milquetoast boring as fuck bullshit. Give me a thousand Avenatti's over this guy.

Booker sucks so much.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
Havent watched one of these before and im only skimming through it while I put off my homework, but does Kavanaugh ever get a chance to speak during this?
These are just opening statements. Once each senator gets their chance to say their statement Kavanaugh will be questioned. He'll speak then.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
These are just opening statements. Once each senator gets their chance to say their statement Kavanaugh will be questioned. He'll speak then.

Holy crap, they are still doing "opening statements" lol?

Thanks btw.

What would happen if they dont confirm him for the senate? Does the White House just nominate someone else and then they go through all of this all over again? Are there even enough Democrats to not confirm him?

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They would have their hand in that position if it was relaxed. You know like a normal fucking person sitting all day. Why have people lost the ability to understand how humans work or how they themselves work?

When you're resting your arms. Crossed you make a circle with two fingers and then have the other three straight out like that? I mean more power to you if you'd rather do something that complicated over just leaving your hand flat or closed.