• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Feral

Oct 25, 2017
Your Mom
I only played EDH in MTGO which was quite alright, as stated above. I'd probably discourage other players from bringing a super-streamlined combo deck to a physical game on account of me having wild eyes, sharp teeth and a short temper

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I've never seen anybody content with playing against a heavy combo deck or being targeted unprovoked when there's multiple opponents. Like, if I were to make the best possible edh deck with the legal cards allowed then people would not want to play with me anymore. At least in 1v1 formats I don't have to pretend like I'm not trying to win lol.
Just say you don't like his anime sleeves. Who gives a shit? Rivalries and alliances are what makes EDH.

Last edited:

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I've never seen anybody content with playing against a heavy combo deck or being targeted unprovoked when there's multiple opponents. Like, if I were to make the best possible edh deck with the legal cards allowed then people would not want to play with me anymore. At least in 1v1 formats I don't have to pretend like I'm not trying to win lol.
you just need to be on the same page as the rest of the playgroup. Bringing a streamlined combodeck to a table w/ theme decks is a bad move, bringing it against a table that can target you and/or disrupt your combo is perfectly fine.

Deleted member 3853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't play with shitty people. Problem solved.

Not my only problem with the format. Just too much time between turns and potentially needing to nerf or buff a deck to match the group so games are competitive are a couple more reasons. Rather just cube, jam constructed, or run a gauntlet with proxied decks. Lots of fun, fair, interesting games with no politics or waiting 5+ minutes to do anything.

Alternade

Oct 27, 2017
CEDH is interesting if everyone is at a high skill level and their decks are fully tuned. It becomes more about planning your next 2-3 turns and pseudo-alliances to stop the person going off at the time. Ive played in some tense games where I had the win in my hand and just had to wait for either someone else to try and combo off and for everyone to exhaust their counters or just play it out defend my win.

I much prefer casual though. I have some janktastic decks(wall tribal, only female cards, gold cards only, etc) that are still fun to play in any meta. I really don't know what you all have against the format so much but love seeing the same decks played for 9 months with the same people going to and winning the protour :/

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Magic Story - Return to Dominaria part 7
* This is a flashback story about Teferi.
* More than 50 years before the present, Teferi was visiting the coast where the Zhalfiran Void can be seen.
* Few people can recognize him by sight. Though now uncommon because of him, Teferi is still a common enough name that they accept his explanation that it's an old family name.
* He's approached by Kwembe and a woman named Subira. They claim someone they knew had come to meet Teferi, but he turned up dead, killed by magic. Teferi has no knowledge of this and is intrigued enough to check the body.
* The man was killed by poison made to seem like the result of time magic. He realizes the two thought he killed him, and manages to convince them otherwise.
* Subira owns a caravan and Kwembe was just traveling in it. Kwembe is the one who knew the murdered man, not her. Teferi is relieved Subira is single.
* Subira realizes Teferi is the Teferi. She says she understands why he phased out Zhalfir.
* A huge sandstorm strikes, which could be the result of a mage placing wind spells over a period of days.
* With great effort, Teferi redirects it, saving everyone.
* A mob appears claiming Teferi was behind it. Subira is confused about where all these people came from, until she realizes Kwembe had gone into town earlier. He arranged all this to kill Teferi.
* Teferi runs away while Subira holds off the crowd.
* Kwembe attacks him and they fight.
* Kwembe's ancestor was Mageta the Lion, and he claims he died when Zhalfir was destroyed. Teferi insists it wasn't destroyed.
* Subira and the other caravan drivers come to Teferi's aide.
* Kwembe insists that the murdered man was a lowly thief and that he knew Teferi would stop the sandstorm, so no innocents were harmed by his plan. Subira tells him to kill her if he wants to get to Teferi, and he gives up.
* The caravan takes Teferi away, leaving Kwembe.
* As repayment, Subira tells Teferi to stay in the caravan and protect them from the thieves. He agrees.
* Years later, Teferi has had a daughter with Subira, Niambi. Subira works in the caravan while Teferi is a house dad.
* Teferi freezes the young Niambi when she falls, but decides it's best to let her hit the ground so she can learn from it, after making sure there wasn't anything too dangerous in her path.
* He considers how that didn't seem like an option with Zhalfir, given the threat of the Phyrexians, but so much of Dominaria has managed to persist. He can't free Zhalfir himself, but maybe Urza had something that could help.

Dapplegrim

Oct 27, 2017
honestly my biggest issue with commander is the glaring lack of spot removal, especially in the colors that really need it. Of course sweepers are more "value" but if you are in B or R or BR you should as a rule be running cards like Chaos Warp. I can't count the number of times someone playing BR whines about some enchantment ruining their board, but then when asked say they don't run obelisk, warp, or scour.
Do they just expect their opponents to never play cards their deck has no answers for??

Also the best way to make sure your deck is inline with decks you haven't seen is to just ask. It isn't rocket science lol.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Story Summary:

* People don't like Teferi because he made their country disappear.
* He had a kid at some point

The End

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always laugh when I see people still playing Ravenous Chupacabra in constructed

it's Eviscerate with a grizzly bears on it

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
how does knight tribal fit into that?
Gideon, Ally of Dominaria 2WW
Legendary Planeswalker - Gideon
+1: Until end of turn, Gideon, Ally of Dominaria becomes a 5/5 Human Knight creature with indestructible that's still a planeswalker. Prevent all damage that would be dealt to him this turn.
0: Create a 2/2 white Knight creature token.
−4: You get an emblem with "Creatures you control get +1/+1."

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It still makes me laugh that GAOZ was himself an Ally which was 100% irrelevant since Allies as a tribe only did anything when they entered the battlefield but Gideon can never enter the battlefield with a creature type.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It still makes me laugh that GAOZ was himself an Ally which was 100% irrelevant since Allies as a tribe only did anything when they entered the battlefield but Gideon can never enter the battlefield with a creature type.
Sums up a lot of the BFZ design issues in a nutshell.
You could have him be an ally when others entered? Some benefited from having more allys on the field, no?
Not without giving him a permanent creature type, which is basically Tribal again. The created 0-loyalty Knight effectively serves that purpose for activating triggers, but the amount of triggers Gideon benefits from when activated or enables is super low due to the issues with BFZ's ally design.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there was more to the Dominaria story that they removed. More likely, set 1 would have been assembling the team and then set 2 would have been the big Cabal fight.

Zhalfir is definitely being set up for Return to Dominaria the Set. I hope it isn't "Phyrexia got there after all!" or something like that, though.

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there was more to the Dominaria story that they removed. More likely, set 1 would have been assembling the team and then set 2 would have been the big Cabal fight.

Zhalfir is definitely being set up for Return to Dominaria the Set. I hope it isn't "Phyrexia got there after all!" or something like that, though.

I think they learned this lesson with BFZ block. Going to Zhalfir, only to have it already be a blasted Phyrexian horror show would be hugely disappointing and ineffective.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
$$$.dek

ivsjDsR.jpg

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
https://forums.mtgarena.com/forums/threads/21818
Quick Draft

This best-of-one Draft mode will have different events each weekend starting May 4. And yes, we are looking at offering Draft events every day in a future update. When a Quick Draft event is running, there is no limit to how many times you can enter, and you get to keep all the cards you draft and play with during that event. Unlike other MTG Arena boosters, Draft boosters will contain 14 cards in the same rarity distribution as tabletop (10 commons, 3 uncommons, and 1 rare or mythic). Additionally, Quick Draft will give out gems as prizes, giving players a way to earn into premium currency.

The drafting portion of Quick Draft will happen against seven AI drafters. Drafting against other players is not something we offer now, but we plan to in the future. One benefit of AI drafting is if you need to leave halfway through a draft, you can pick up exactly where you left off the next time you log in.

After drafting all your cards and constructing your 40-card Draft deck, you battle against other players who drafted within the same format. Let's give a quick rundown on entry and prizes.

Entry Fee: 5,000 Gold or 750 Gems

Match Structure: Single Matches

Ends After: 7 Wins or 3 Losses (whichever comes first)

Event Prizes:

Just like with Quick Constructed, whether you end the event at 7-2 or 7-0, you still win the top prize. Your loss record doesn't affect your rewards until you get to loss three.

Gems Economy
With this update, players will now be able to purchase gems using real-world money. Any gems purchased with real money during the Closed Beta will be given back to your account after a final wipe at the end of the Closed Beta. Why? Because we're going to test the paid economy during the Closed Beta as well. Also, to purchase gems, you will be redirected to an external website to enter your payment information. We're working on integrating this process fully into the game for the future. Gems can be purchased at the following amounts, all of which are in USD.

• 750 Gems: $4.99
  • 1,600 Gems: $9.99
  • 3,400 Gems: $19.99
  • 9,200 Gems: $49.99
  • 20,000 Gems: $99.99
Pack Purchasing
Players will still be able to unlock packs for 1,000 gold. Starting with the Dominariaupdate, packs can be purchase at around $1 each (depending on the amount of gems and packs you purchase). We will be testing gem pricing on eight-card packs as follows.

• 600 Gems: 3 Packs
  • 1,200 Gems: 6 Packs, which includes at least 1 Uncommon and 1 Common Wildcard
  • 3,000 Gems: 15 Packs, which includes at least 1 Rare, 3 Uncommon, and 13 Common Wildcards
  • 9,000 Gems: 45 Packs, which includes at least 1 Mythic, 3 Rare, 9 Uncommon, and 9 Common Wildcards. (The Dominaria 45-pack bundle will also include 1 copy of Firesong and Sunspear)
  • 18,000 Gems: 90 Packs, which includes 2 copies of Firesong and Sunspear, at least 3 Mythic, 6 Rare, 18 Uncommon, and 18 Common Wildcards. (The Dominaria 90-pack bundle will also include 2 copies of Firesong and Sunspear.)
And since we brought up Firesong and Sunspear, I'd just like to mention that the card will be available through crafting with a Rare Wildcard and will not be appearing in packs of any type.

The Vault. The Vault will now reward one Mythic Rare Wildcard, two Rare Wildcards, and three Uncommon Wildcards. Vault Progress has been rebalanced a bit, but if you play daily, you should unlock the Vault at least every three weeks with consistent play of roughly 60 to 90 minutes a day. For the average player, this should happen once per month.

Feral

Oct 25, 2017
Your Mom
if you're fishing for rares, you can get 3 for 3000 gold from the store, while the AI in drafts will likely pick out value cards, and you also don't get WCs in drafts
not gonna complain about the $ price, I wasn't going to spend real money anyway

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
New vault contains 1 mythic, 2 rare, 3 uncommon wildcards. They anticipate that you'll open the vault once every three weeks.

Oct 25, 2017
$5 feels like too much to pay to draft on first glance.

However, I guess you get to play with your deck for potentially up to 10 games vs being locked into only three games? I'm having a hard time figuring out how to value that.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Prizes for draft:
  • 0 Wins: 50 gems, 1 to 3 eight-card Dominaria boosters, and all the cards you drafted
  • 1 Win: 100 gems, 1 to 3 eight-card Dominaria boosters, and all the cards you drafted
  • 2 Wins: 200 gems, 1 to 3 eight-card Dominaria boosters, and all the cards you drafted
  • 3 Wins: 300 gems, 1 to 3 eight-card Dominaria boosters, and all the cards you drafted
  • 4 Wins: 450 gems, 1 to 3 eight-card Dominaria boosters, and all the cards you drafted
  • 5 Wins: 650 gems, 1 to 3 eight-card Dominaria boosters, and all the cards you drafted
  • 6 Wins: 850 gems, 1 to 3 eight-card Dominaria boosters, and all the cards you drafted
  • 7 Wins: 950 gems, 1 to 3 eight-card Dominaria boosters, and all the cards you drafted
It's interesting that they are giving the paid currency as a reward instead of gold, even if you use gold to enter the event.

However, I guess you get to play with your deck for potentially up to 10 games vs being locked into only three games? I'm having a hard time figuring out how to value that.

I was anticipating $8-10 for Drafts, so I'm mildly surprised by this.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Pack prices seem totally reasonable I think. Also I'm glad they aren't doing the same bullshit with Firesong and future cards like real life magic is doing.

I honestly don't know how MTGO still remains a thing post Arena given the startling price differences, shrug

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Pack prices seem totally reasonable I think. Also I'm glad they aren't doing the same bullshit with Firesong and future cards like real life magic is doing.

I honestly don't know how MTGO still remains a thing post Arena given the startling price differences, shrug
I'm waiting for someone who understands this better to write an article explaining how much, on average, a standard deck is going to cost on Arena. It still seems like MTGO is going to be a lot cheaper for constructed.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
I'm waiting for someone who understands this better to write an article explaining how much, on average, a standard deck is going to cost on Arena. It still seems like MTGO is going to be a lot cheaper for constructed.

Maybe without trading this is the case but as someone who doesn't plan on spending much money at all.. I'll be able to build decks without spending cash which simply is not the case with MTGO.

aidan

Oct 25, 2017

It's a keeper draft, too. Three packs is valued at about $3.60.

EDIT: Even if you don't win a game, you get 1-3 packs on top of your deck. So, 4-6 packs for $5, which seems like better value than simply buying packs.

EDIT 2: Now that I think of it, draft packs (15 cards) are actually worth a little under two regular packs (8 cards), so you're actually walking away with about:

5.5 (draft packs)
1-3 (regular packs)

6.5 - 8.5 regular packs for $5. So, under $1 per pack.

Is my math wrong here?

Last edited:

Feral

Oct 25, 2017
Your Mom

come to think of it, that's actually an alright price. The equivalent of two and half real drafts, you don't have chance to get a valuable card, but that barely happens to me anyway. I do might actually spend some cash for new set release events

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
Huh. Kaladesh and Aether Revolt are coming. I figured they'd skip those and just catch up with Standard in September.

Status
Not open for further replies.