• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
who said poor 3-colour decks weren't viable? :D I lived the Limited dream and got to a Trophy with Cruel Ultimatum. :D

InuKe1M.png

Treasure Dredger did a lot of heavy lifting here with the treasure generation for mana fixing.

On the other hand, this ACTUALLY bad 3-colour deck with zero mana fixing also got me a trophy, and I didn't even get to cast Annie Flash a single time... Stingerback was the MVP here.

Tf8x75x.png

SnugTeam6

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Forgive me for being a real newbie, been enjoying OTJ as I return to Magic for the first time in like, 15 years.

What is Modern Horizons 3, and it's role in formats this year? I know the next set is Bloomburrow in August, but now I'm seeing MH3.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Forgive me for being a real newbie, been enjoying OTJ as I return to Magic for the first time in like, 15 years.

What is Modern Horizons 3, and it's role in formats this year? I know the next set is Bloomburrow in August, but now I'm seeing MH3.

as the name suggests it's designed to get cards into the modern format without them having to have been legal in standard. so if you're playing standard only it's nothing you have to worry about and bloomburrow is still the next set in august for you. they are coming to arena though for other formats (historic, timeless, brawl, (i forget the legality overlap for modern and explorer(pioneer))) and draft i believe

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York

They do a lot of supplemental sets these days that don't go through standard. Modern Horizons is where they put more complex and powerful cards that they want in Modern but not standard. In terms of the limited formats, they're often aimed at higher power-level and complexity and are sort of like a cross between the old Modern Masters sets (reprint sets full of stronger cards) and the Time Spiral sets (higher complexity sets with lots of references to past Magic cards).

Modern Horizons 1 and 2 weren't on Arena, but MH3 will be.

Oct 29, 2017
USA
There's not much I love more than getting into creature arms race.

It's a Premier Draft. I was going for my 7th win with 2 losses already in the chamber, and I can only assume my opponent had a similar record. I was W/G with U splash for Bonny Pall and they were R/G with loads of burn spells. We kept lining creatures up the whole game with little attacking. Every time someone dropped something, the other answered right back. It was a case of whoever attacks first loses. And they attacked first. They activated Drover Grizzly to give their army trample and swung with everything except two tokens. But I had one Gold Rush and a Collector's Cage on the board to beef up my guys. I had to quickly do a lot of math, pick who to buff, and decide where to distribute blockers with the timer bearing down. The hardest part was making sure I didn't misclick anything since there was so much onscreen. I pulled it off without losing a single blocker and critically removing everything with Reach. They conceded immediately.

I was so worried my deck was shit at first because my first two matches were losses. The first was because I kept drawing lands early on and couldn't mount an army. The second time I had similar bad luck and then the opponent dropped Oko, Thief of Crowns. I conceded right there because I knew there was no point dragging that one out. After that, every match afterwards except for the last one was an easy win.

The craziest part was that Bonny Pall made it to me on P2P3. I figured people would grab that no matter what unless that pack was loaded with bombs. I guess it's different in Arena than paper Magic since you probably aren't playing against people in your draft pool.

Last edited:

zoozilla

Avenger
Jun 9, 2018
Japan
I've got a friend who plays Yu-Gi-Oh and is thinking of getting into Magic. I don't have any idea what Yu-Gi-Oh is like, especially nowadays. Are there any Magic archetypes that might be easy to understand or map well to a Yu-Gi-Oh archetype?

Pundere

Oct 30, 2017
I've got a friend who plays Yu-Gi-Oh and is thinking of getting into Magic. I don't have any idea what Yu-Gi-Oh is like, especially nowadays. Are there any Magic archetypes that might be easy to understand or map well to a Yu-Gi-Oh archetype?
Tbh it depends on what they like to play in Yugioh. The game has a reputation for being all about 20 minute turn 1 combos (and absolutely has that) but it also has midrange decks, control decks, grindy card advantage decks, stall/mill decks, etc.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
magic.gg

Pro Tour Thunder Junction Standard Metagame Breakdown

The decks are locked and the train arrived in Thunder Junction. Here's what the field is playing.

1920x1080_PT-OTJ_Metagame-Breakdown.jpg

Pretty high "Other" rate

With Concealed Courtyard to improve its mana base, as well as Rest in Peace and Pest Control to swing the previously difficult matchups against Temur Analyst and Boros Convoke after sideboard, it has become worthwhile to run white. Many Pro Tour competitors arrived at the same conclusion: Esper was now superior to Dimir. Indeed, nearly one-third of the field registered Esper Midrange, with Concealed Courtyard as an undisputed addition and Pest Control as a near-universal sideboard inclusion. There is some variations across the builds—for example, Esper Midrange players are split on whether or not to use cards like Wedding Announcement , Deep-Cavern Bat , or Duelist of the Mind —but everyone uses Raffine, Scheming Seer , arguably the best three-drop in the format.
I remember that brief time Raffine seemed to be falling out of favor. With this, she'll be a Standard all-star her entire time in the format.

If you control Relic of Legends and Rona, Herald of Invasion , then two copies of Honest Rutstein can be looped indefinitely. Tap Rona and Rutstein to untap Relic of Legends , cast Rutstein, lose one to the legend rule, return it, and repeat. This allows you to win the game with Vial Smasher, Gleeful Grenadier .
Ah, interesting combo. Though someone didn't read Relic of Legends.

Some players may use Insatiable Avarice to put Shadow of Mortality on top of their library, allowing Caustic Bronco to hit the opponent for 15. Others aim to combine Bloodletter of Aclazotz with Rush of Dread , forcing the opponent to lose all of their life points. Meanwhile, a few tables over, a Slickshot Show-Off brew might face off against a dedicated Simulacrum Synthesizer deck. And perhaps in the feature match area, an Aftermath Analyst player might sacrifice dozens of lands to Pitiless Carnage , only to be defeated by their opponent's combination of Kellan, the Kid plus Djeru and Hazoret . Sure, the Standard metagame at the Pro Tour features a lot of Esper Midrange, but it also showcases a wide diversity of innovative competitive decks.
Lots of wacky stuff happening outside of Esper.

163 copies of Pest Control and 154 copies of Rest in Peace
:welp:

pioneer

May 31, 2022
It is crazy how long Raffine has been the deck to beat (or close) in standard. I'm hoping we see some "other" decks doing well this weekend though. It's fun the tournament is so soon after set release this time

zoozilla

Avenger
Jun 9, 2018
Japan
Tbh it depends on what they like to play in Yugioh. The game has a reputation for being all about 20 minute turn 1 combos (and absolutely has that) but it also has midrange decks, control decks, grindy card advantage decks, stall/mill decks, etc.

Hmm, so pretty much anything besides big creature decks I guess. I'll ask what kind of deck he likes to play. Thanks!

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
IMG-1948.jpg
IMG-1947.jpg
More Modern Horizons 3 leaks.

That new Gilded Drake is pretty solid.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
USA
I thought this draft deck was pretty weak but I ended up getting my best result of 7-1 with it. Dust Animus rarely lived long enough to do much damage and Archangel of Tithes only got played in 2 matches. It was really down to smart use of my non-creature spells that got me most of my wins.

Mindslaver wasn't needed as card #41, but I just wanted to see if I get a win with it. Spoiler alert: I only used it in one match and it was the one I lost badly.

ALMK6sQ.jpeg

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
Lots of MH3 leaks the past couple days. At this rate half of the set will be known before its spoiler season officially starts lol.

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
Most so far is just the Commander decks. Someone got all 4 and is slowly leaking them. They're taking low quality shots on purpose. Doing things like obviously obscuring the mana value. Pretty dumb.

Someone does separately have main set cards, but who knows how much.

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
Necrodominance could be fun with Sheoldred. Since you'd gain a net 1 life per card drawn, you have an easy way to get to a very high life total.

Talking about commander, of course.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
I milled someone who was dominant on the board with Rakdos the Muscle in Limited because, with 1 health and one turn left, I got EXACTLY the right amount of mana-value card pulled from his deck to mill him at EOT. PHEW.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Alright, you nerds. I'm back into playing Magic. Played with my BIL and his friends a few weeks ago, bought a OTJ preconstructed deck and now I'm tempted to buy a Fallout Deck and build a ninja deck.

All that said, I would like to keep getting more games under my belt with actual people. Do you all play online games and stuff? I'm still learning a lot of the mechanics and stuff.

Deadman

Oct 29, 2017
wait that's awesome, how long have they been doing this? do i need to opt in?

Yes its opt in. You basically have to also sign up to get all their promotional emails too.

Its been a while since I did it but i believe you can either do it by following the instructions here: https://mtgarena-support.wizards.com/hc/en-us/articles/22718971121556-Stats-Email-Requests or by putting your email linked to your account in here: https://magic.wizards.com/en/mtgarena#arena-email

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, you nerds. I'm back into playing Magic. Played with my BIL and his friends a few weeks ago, bought a OTJ preconstructed deck and now I'm tempted to buy a Fallout Deck and build a ninja deck.

All that said, I would like to keep getting more games under my belt with actual people. Do you all play online games and stuff? I'm still learning a lot of the mechanics and stuff.

yeah this is the arena thread which is f2p. i actually think arena is pretty good for learning mechanics since (barring the rare bug) you can only do things you can actually do

also we're getting grief and fury on arena. wow

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
yeah this is the arena thread which is f2p. i actually think arena is pretty good for learning mechanics since (barring the rare bug) you can only do things you can actually do
Yeah I have it installed. It's just a bit harder for me because of the slow burn to get started. Plus I have liked Commander when I've played it, and it doesn't seem to be a thing in Arena yet.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't the Arena thread.

ok there's an actual arena thread but i mostly consider the set update ones defacto arena threads

Yeah I have it installed. It's just a bit harder for me because of the slow burn to get started. Plus I have liked Commander when I've played it, and it doesn't seem to be a thing in Arena yet.

yeah there's brawl which has similar deck building requirements but obviously being 1v1 loses out on a lot of what makes commander commander

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Is there a website that tracks places that have Magic nights to play? I moved to a new city a few months ago, so I don't really know the best places to play.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
GMOQn0iaQAAkVvC

Nice variety in archetypes, especially given the players have stated they didn't have enough time to test anything other than variations of known quantities.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I am looking for another Standard BO1 deck to make but am running out of wildcards.

I have:
Red Aggro
Red Aggro with literally one Black Card (Callous Swordsman)
Green / White Enchant
Blue Ninja tempo

What's a good deck to add to the mix? Red / Green / Blue control? Mayhe mono blackb

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's dead but yes. I'm not saying Arena shouldn't be discussed here — it should. He had just suggested we wouldn't discuss paper here because this was for Arena. We do both.

wasn't my intention. i didn't think saying this is primarily where arena is discussed on this site precluded paper, mtgo, etc. it just might not seem that way with it not being on the gaming side

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
The first match, Yoshihiko Ikawa (Domain Ramp) vs. Sean Goddard (Temur Analysis) was a real nailbiter and definitely worth checking out. The final match, Ikawa (Domain Ramp) vs. Yuta Takahashi (Azorius Control) is a real snoozefest, though.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Really getting the hang of Brawl now. I have 12 decks and I know which Commanders to not even bother wasting time playing against. Knowing when to instantly concede has made my experience a lot better not that I have seen what they can do. I was getting really frustrated there for a bit, but since there is no rank loss by conceding I get that I can just pass on the match to save my sanity. There are some Commanders out there that just instantly make the game unfun to even play the moment they touch the field. Its not even that they are hard to beat. I don't mind a hard match. In fact it makes it more fun. I love the struggle given the nature of having only one of each card. It makes the draw phase so much more important. I just don't want anything to do with the Commies that just suck to play against. They are just not FUN to play against. I am not wasting my time on that kind of match anymore.

Overall it is my new favorite way to play. I haven't played Bo1 Standard in weeks despite it being my only mode for years.

pioneer

May 31, 2022
The first match, Yoshihiko Ikawa (Domain Ramp) vs. Sean Goddard (Temur Analysis) was a real nailbiter and definitely worth checking out. The final match, Ikawa (Domain Ramp) vs. Yuta Takahashi (Azorius Control) is a real snoozefest, though.
Watching this now and yes it might actually put me to sleep

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
Had a draft deck with 2x Annie Joins (which doubles legendary triggers), 2x Roxanne and Calamity. Was disgusting. If Calamity landed with a decent creature on board it was essentially GG.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
I drafted Terror of the Peaks, got to play him - my opponent immediately Fractured Identity it.

Had to GG and concede on the spot. That's just a brutal turn of events. :(

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
12 lands in the top 17 cards in a 16 land deck. That's 0.09% if my math is correct. I'm absolutely cursed in this limited format.