• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Calix, Destiny's Hand

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
THB_Preview_Blurbs_Page_29.png

And there's the last planeswalker of the set. Interesting that the -3 requires an enchantment or enchantment creature in play to actually work. Seems like he needs a bit of setup to defend himself and he doesn't really impact the board much at first.

At least he doesn't dodge Fry.

"Labyrinth of Skophos's Guardian"; Eidolon of Obstruction
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Alt art:
Calix_Destinys_Hand_EN.png

20201711182031_1.jpg

Labyrinth of Skophos's Guardian 3R
Creature - Minotaur Warrior U
1: ~ gets +1/-1 until the end of turn.
Whenever another creature becomes the target of a land you control called Labyrinth of Skophos, you may have this fight that creature.
3/4

From leaks, Labyrith of Skophos is a rare land, so this is more or less trinket text, but it could be fun for a casual deck.

53l5qnb5gd941.png

On the weak end, but nice to see them finally play in this area. To be clear, this means that in addition to adding or removing loyalty counters, opponents also have to pay one mana.

Thassa's Oracle
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

They noticed how wordy rares were getting and had to address it in THB. Notably, Calix originally had a static ability that they straight up lopped off, then recosted his other abilities, which could explain why he feels weak. At least it's before they usually would have gotten feedback on Questing Beast. That said, here's the wordiest card of the set.

en_wfOXYXj8im.png
en_WQgs1MfaFp.png

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I (unironically) like that Calix has the same oracular outfit as Klothys but looks infinitely more like a stripper.

I think it's the sparkles.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
Could Thassa's Oracle do with a "Then," to start the last sentence? On the ordinary art you could think it's a separate paragraph?

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
As a general rule, if a 3 mana or 4 mana creature has no protection and does nothing for an entire turn cycle, it will probably not see play.

Yeah it's not as good in that slot as Gideon but they'd be quite the team. A new Dauntless Bodyguard might have done the trick. Either that or you give it haste with something like Torch Courier.

"Lagonna Clan Storyteller" (?)
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
pb39kkwh7e941.png

Lagonna Clan Storyteller - 3W
Creature - Centaur Advisor
When it etbs you may put an enchantment from your graveyard on top of your library, when you do, you gain life equal to the cmc of that enchantment.
3/4

Christian god centaur
Seems good for Limited

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, and he's in the flavor text

You know I completely missed the flavor text the first 3 or 4 times I read the card. But! I'm still curious who on Theros remembers Gids/Kytheon. All his closest friends died when he left. I'm sure folks must have figured out who killed the titan but he's been gone kind of a while. Taranikas card makes it seem like she knew him.

Booo. So just a Bant or Mardu Hushbringer combo I guess.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
You know I completely missed the flavor text the first 3 or 4 times I read the card. But! I'm still curious who on Theros remembers Gids/Kytheon. All his closest friends died when he left. I'm sure folks must have figured out who killed the titan but he's been gone kind of a while. Taranikas card makes it seem like she knew him.
Yeah I think the statue in the background was a neat easter egg but the flavour text killed that by spelling it out. Kytheon was a hero but some people just randomly erected a statue of him like 20 years after he vanished.

Sep 14, 2018
Does Blue need a bad temporary counterspell? At least this would feel white and it would be a consideration in EDH as white. Instead, it's bad in every format and will be forgotten before spoilers are done.

It's timing restricted but it's a Flash Ixalan's Binding with no double ETB or any ETB actually. This WILL be in the upcoming UWx shell especially considering the state of removal in standard. The last analogous effect was Cast Out which also saw plenty of action in UW. It would not take a counterspell slot.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
the classic mono red aggro but also play all my blue cards deck
ngl i won most of my pods this time with u/r aggro. u/r artifacts, kiki/twin, sneak/breach are never open.

the strategy is just take all the good blue cards early and wheel the red cards. somehow red is always open (and white, surprise lol). blue is the best overall to disrupt unfair stuff coupled with card draw. while red deals with artifacts/ramp and has reach.

i find u/b too slow, u/w not disruptive enough and u/g literally the worst.

Oct 25, 2017
No more Titans is disappointing but also a clever way to make sure Standard literally cannot become an all-Titan metagame unless they royally fucked up.

"Weaver of Destiny" (?)
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Captura.PNG

Weaver of Destiny - 1G
Enchantment Creature - Human
Creature and enchantment spells you control can't be countered.

3G: Target land you control becomes an X/X Elemental until the end of turn with haste and trample, where X is the number of enchantments you control. It's still a land.
2/3

In comparison
89a60271-edfc-4bb1-83d5-4d6fa0403b19.jpg

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Captura.PNG

Weaver of Destiny - 1G
Enchantment Creature - Human
Creature and enchantment spells you control can't be countered.

3G: Target land you control becomes an X/X Elemental until the end of turn with haste and trample, where X is the number of enchantments you control. It's still a land.
2/3
Comparing this to the White rare revealed earlier today is just hilarious.

53l5qnb5gd941.png

Also, that activated ability is crazy with Nissa Who Shakes the World.

Last edited:

robox

Nov 10, 2017
i was saying to my friend earlier, before green girl was revealed, that the pw taxer needed to be at least 2/2. 2/3 would be reeeeeaaaaally nice.....

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
You know, It'll be a breath of fresh air when there's so much enchantment hate that Fires dies in a fucking fire.

"Nightmare Shepherd" (?)

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
rlmds9g02k941.jpg

(Rough translation, please correct me as necessary)

2BB
Rare
Enchantment Creature - Demon
4/4

Flying
When another non-token creature you control dies, you may exile it. If you do, create a token that is a copy of that creature except it has 1/1 and is a Nightmare in addition to its other creature types.

If I've got that right, this feels like my kind of card. I like that the creatures still keep their abilities.

As an aside, do token copies share the mana cost of the creatures they copy? This might be nice for mono-black devotion.

Last edited:

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
rlmds9g02k941.jpg

(Rough translation, please correct me as necessary)

2BB
Rare
Enchantment Creature - Demon
4/4

Flying
When another non-token creature you control dies, you may exile it. If you do, create a token that is a copy of that creature except it is a 1/1 and is a Nightmare along with its other creature types.

If I've got that right, this feels like my kind of card. I like that the creatures still keep their abilities.

As an aside, do token copies share the mana cost of the creatures they copy? This might be nice for mono-black devotion.

As far as I know tokens, copies or not, have no mana cost.

Edit: and a quick Google-fu shows I was wrong. Tokens that are copies are the exception.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
With all the new enchantment cards and things based around them, I have a feeling bringing back Argothian Enchantress would be broken haha.

Hero of the Pride; Heroes of the Revel; Loathsome Chimera; Favored of Iroas; Thassa's Intervention; Omen of the Dead; Shadowspear
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Two unlabeled heroic creatures

8z28qlj7yi941.png

image0.png

Loathsome_Chimera_DE.png.png

Loathsome Chimera - 2G
Creature - Chimera
Escape—4G, Exile 3 cards
Escapes with a +1/+1 counter.
4/1

image1.png

Meant to be used with Auras, I imagine

ENxHHNQWsAAMeVc

Seems good

vie0sczv4j941.png
omenofthedead.jpg

Leaked before

06mxcb36lk941.jpg

Seems good. Even without a creature to equip, it still removes hexproof and indestructible. Not protection, though

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
Shadowspear is awesome. I love Basilisk Collar because it's super cheap and grants lifelink. +1/+1, trample, and nerfing hexproof and indestructible is probably better than deathtouch.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
I weirdly think the legendary god-slaying equipment being 1 mana feels like a tiny bit of a top-down flavor fail. At least Embercleave pretends to be some expensive thing.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The card seems to combine both the legendary flavor and a hoser type artifact that would cost 1 mana
It's a weird mix, yes

Status
Not open for further replies.