• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure where you got "white is supposed to be the best at exile." White's weakness is supposed to be that its removal is temporary, which is why it gets o-ring effects and pacifisms. It rarely gets permanent exile effects for creatures.
It has a ton of permanent exile effects for creatures, the vast majority of them being conditional. It also gets 5 mana unconditional exile for creatures and artifacts.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well that's a heck of a hydra. Is it weird that I'm comforted that it's fight requires an activation? I remember Maro saying something about how they don't like how much fight has been put on ETB and turned into straight removal, and with the wicked wolves lately I'm starting to see that. At least that spider ETBis conditional for flyers, which is natural for green.

I saw some folks on twitter speculating that these might be more about making a flash archetype available for limited.

Imma choose to believe that the cow is the archon.
Frosty cold take that some think is spicy: fight on creatures is terrible and should never happen, at least in green. Maybe red.

Green shouldn't have efficient creature removal, especially removal that's a damn 2 for 1. Wicked Wolf is still far too good. Voracious Hydra is too efficient. Leave it to spells that require creatures, a green resource, or make it all but a certainty that a fight creature dies in a fight.

Red is usually toughness light or doesn't have outsized stats to CMC ratios, thus it's more likely a 1:1 kill.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding green ETB fight, MaRo said they're going to try out "When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, another target creature you control fights target creature an opponent controls", so it still depends on you already having a creature. ETB fight will be tested in red instead.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure where you got "white is supposed to be the best at exile." White's weakness is supposed to be that its removal is temporary, which is why it gets o-ring effects and pacifisms. It rarely gets permanent exile effects for creatures.
Oh, that's White's weakness.

I could have sworn it was "White can't draw cards" or "White can't ramp" or "White can't tie its own shoelaces."

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I'm disappointed by the spoilers so far, I only play limited and it feels like they're powering this set down compared to the last few. I loved drafting War of the Spark and M20 (I skipped Eldraine), pretty huge bummer that we're already returning to the days when the common black removal spell cost 5 and had some marginal additional effect (I know exile is relevant in this set, but still).

We haven't seen the full set so hopefully I'll end up being wrong, but I remember being really surprised at the power level of some of the cards in the last few sets. Even the mythics in this seem far more deliberately balanced. Probably for the best after the recent bans, but I hope they spice things up again going forward.

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
ENSbRqYXkAA548q

No, this seems deece.

Oh look Polu is back...

OH NO Polu is back...

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm disappointed by the spoilers so far, I only play limited and it feels like they're powering this set down compared to the last few. I loved drafting War of the Spark and M20 (I skipped Eldraine), pretty huge bummer that we're already returning to the days when the common black removal spell cost 5 and had some marginal additional effect (I know exile is relevant in this set, but still).
Mire's Grasp is solid common removal for 2 mana, More importantly, as with the last Theros Block, devotion and heroic mean that removal in general needs to be powered down for them to do their thing effectively.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
It has a ton of permanent exile effects for creatures, the vast majority of them being conditional. It also gets 5 mana unconditional exile for creatures and artifacts.
Here are lists of mono-black and mono-white spells and enchantments that permanently exile creatures and were newly printed over the last 10 years. If you add in creatures and planeswalkers, white gets a ton of exile as planeswalker effects (usually ultimates) and black gets a bunch as creature effects. Black's exile on average is more efficient, but there are a couple of white standouts; mostly ones that are tying to do a swords imitation such as Dispatch.
Black (23 cards) - White (20 cards)

In the early years they spent a lot of time trying to "fix" swords to plowshares, the same way they kept putting the nonblack, nonartifact rider on black removal spells. It was some kind of weird tradition that they realized didn't make much sense. They've gotten out of that habit years and years ago.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI

We haven't seen the full set so hopefully I'll end up being wrong, but I remember being really surprised at the power level of some of the cards in the last few sets. Even the mythics in this seem far more deliberately balanced. Probably for the best after the recent bans, but I hope they spice things up again going forward.

They have definitely not powered down this set IMO.

Feb 16, 2018
after 3 sets in a row with broken 3 cmc planeswalkers, this one is definitely going to be powered down just by not having a broken 3 cmc walker

Feb 16, 2018
will wait to see more commons before judging limited

lower power level limited is a good thing though imo. it means you can win a game on the draw. or block with creatures. or miss a land drop and not autolose

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Mire's Grasp is solid common removal for 2 mana, More importantly, as with the last Theros Block, devotion and heroic mean that removal in general needs to be powered down for them to do their thing effectively.

I actually hadn't seen Mire's Grasp, that does seem good. And I understand removal may be toned down to facilitate this set's mechanics, but it's not just the removal. During the M20 and War spoilers it seemed like every other card was just nuts, there were so many cards I couldn't wait to play with. For this set I'm seeing a lot more cards where I think "Eh, that could be good in the right deck I guess," and a lot of cards that will surely be limited staples but just aren't as exciting.

I wouldn't have been surprised to see cards like Stinging Lionfish and Archon of Falling Stars and Chainweb Aracnir at common in the last few sets. Maybe they would have costed one more or had slightly worse stats, but they seem pretty meh. I know it makes no sense to pick out two cards in different colors to compare, but I feel like Rotting Regisaur and Nessian Boar sum up my feeling toward the spoilers so far. Regisaur made me do a double-take, it was insane that they printed those stats at that cost in a core set, and the downside really wasn't that big of a deal in limited. You could play a low curve and keep a couple lands in hand, you could just wait to play it when you were top-decking, you definitely had to have a game plan but it was a great, fun card. Meanwhile the Boar seems much less interesting. Maybe there will be easy ways of enchanting it to give it evasion or trample, but at face value it just seems unplayable.

Anyway, like I said, hopefully I'm wrong and the set will be amazing, I'm just not feeling excited by the cards revealed so far.

Deleted member 12224

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I actually hadn't seen Mire's Grasp, that does seem good. And I understand removal may be toned down to facilitate this set's mechanics, but it's not just the removal. During the M20 and War spoilers it seemed like every other card was just nuts, there were so many cards I couldn't wait to play with. For this set I'm seeing a lot more cards where I think "Eh, that could be good in the right deck I guess," and a lot of cards that will surely be limited staples but just aren't as exciting.

I wouldn't have been surprised to see cards like Stinging Lionfish and Archon of Falling Stars and Chainweb Aracnir at common in the last few sets. Maybe they would have costed one more or had slightly worse stats, but they seem pretty meh. I know it makes no sense to pick out two cards in different colors to compare, but I feel like Rotting Regisaur and Nessian Boar sum up my feeling toward the spoilers so far. Regisaur made me do a double-take, it was insane that they printed those stats at that cost in a core set, and the downside really wasn't that big of a deal in limited. You could play a low curve and keep a couple lands in hand, you could just wait to play it when you were top-decking, you definitely had to have a game plan but it was a great, fun card. Meanwhile the Boar seems much less interesting. Maybe there will be easy ways of enchanting it to give it evasion or trample, but at face value it just seems unplayable.

Anyway, like I said, hopefully I'm wrong and the set will be amazing, I'm just not feeling excited by the cards revealed so far.
It's a difference in opinion, but the bolded mindset, to me, is what's wrong with the game.

Dawn Evangel; The Triumph of Anax; Thassa, Deep-Dwelling; "Ash Phoenix" (?); "Callaphe, Beloved of the Sea" (?); Haktos the Unscarred; Omen of the Forge; Omen of the Sun; "Saprophage Harpy" (?); Shimmerwing Chimera
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
ersor7lg8j841.jpg

Weird card. Most often, you want to use this with auras like Mire's Grasp to kill your opponent's creatures. You can use it on your own creature in a pinch (including Dawn Evangel). And of course, it incidentally helps your own enchanted creatures.

ENWfLZkXkAAUsEK.png

Anax being one of the major characters of the first block. The fight part not being effected by the previous steps feels odd, but this is a good card.

ENWxM59VUAESxA2.png:large
ENWxM6OUwAA-6_8.png:large

Oh hey Thassa flickers, what a surprise
I like how the constellation has her bident, but her main card doesn't because Kiora stole it.

fvljacy73k841.jpg

Ash Phoenix 1RR
Flying Haste
2R: +2+0 until eot
Escape 2RR, exile 3 cards
Escapes with a +1+1 counter on it
2/2

Of course there had to be a phoenix with escape. Seems good.

image0.jpg

New character for this demigod.
Since people have asked on Discord, increasing the cost of spells that target you or stuff you control has only ever been in blue.

More details about the stygian mechanic, and this preview card representing Achilles.

en_4QXJUWmEkd.png

Pretty interesting. The random choice was specifically to prevent opponents from metagaming it. Note that it's protection from every other converted mana cost, and that protection prevents him from being blocked.

en_wYqCF86mP6.png

Seems decent.

2jldjsokjl841.png

Also seems decent. I feel like "create two 1/1s and gain 2 life" at 2W on an instant already saw play recently.

7z2xdtcaik841.png

Saprophage Harpy - 2B
Creature - Harpy
Flying
When ~ enters the battlefield, exile target card from an opponent's graveyard.
2/1

1jpjkz43kl841.png

Shimmerwing Chimera seems like it would be good in Limited.

Nov 2, 2017
I know it's basically the same Boros attack all the time kind of card, but the Achilles' Heel flavour is fucking awesome. That's really cool and unique.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I really like Haktos, though he might be a bit frustrating if you lack mass removal or a variety of single-target removal spells. Could be a fun Commander.

Thankfully you can't put Embercleave on him.

"The First Iroan Games" (?)
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
KlFObwD.png

The First Iroan Games 2G
Enchantment - Saga (Rare)

I: Create a 1/1 white Human soldier token.

II: Put three +1/+1 counters on target creature you control.

III: If you control a creature with power 4 or more, draw two cards.

IV: Create a Gold token.

Gold tokens are artifacts with "Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color." Unlike Treasure, it doesn't tap. Gold tokens were created before Treasure tokens but mostly abandoned for the latter because tapping made it safer. They used Gold here purely for flavor reasons, I imagine.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Green seems like an odd color to represent Iroas. I guess they just designed it top-down and realized "oh this design is green".

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
I'd say it feels bant or at least WG, but G can draw cards and gain life, so mono G it is. Green gets all the toys, even though I think this could be a mono W card.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Also I should probably mention that the card is insane. You're basically paying 3 mana to get a 4/4 that threatens to draw two cards in a couple turns and if you're playing stuff like Questing Beast or Lovestruck Beast they can't even kill the 4/4 to stop the draw. You basically have to kill the enchantment itself the turn it comes down or things are going to get out of hand fast.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't understand how drawing cards based on P/T is in green's colour pie, especially if it's some dumb beast. If anything it should be U/W/B.

Deleted member 12224

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also I should probably mention that the card is insane. You're basically paying 3 mana to get a 4/4 that threatens to draw two cards in a couple turns and if you're playing stuff like Questing Beast or Lovestruck Beast they can't even kill the 4/4 to stop the draw. You basically have to kill the enchantment itself the turn it comes down or things are going to get out of hand fast.
That's why it can't be White.

It's actually good.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It really bugs me seeing Green draw two if you have a creature with power 4 or greater on the same card that gives you a creature with power 4 or greater.

Green doesn't feel dependent on its creatures for card draw and removal when those effects are packed in with the creatures.

For the card itself, I think it'll see plenty of play; works well with Lovestruck Beast and is pretty efficient on its own.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Play patterns

You, Turn 3: Play Iroan Games
Opponent Passes
Turn 4: Target 1/1 human with counters
Opponent: Haha I kill the human in response. gottem
You: Play Questing Beast
Opponent: Shit, let's hope I draw another removal spell off the top

You, Turn 3 on the play: Play Iroan Games
Opponent: Plays Thrashing Brontodon, cries tears

Honestly guys I'm running through these play patterns in my head and it's all upside for whoever plays the card

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Play patterns

Opponent Passes

Honestly guys I'm running through these play patterns in my head and it's all upside for whoever plays the card
It's also in the same color as Gilded Goose. Yay.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Play patterns

Opponent Passes

3 mana green card on turn 3? It'll come out turn 2 and you'll like it.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Oh hey, it even provides 2 permanents that sacrifice themselves to trigger Mayhem Devil/Korvold. Neat.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I suppose you could also use it to "reload" nu-Polukranos. Though maybe they don't fit in the same kind of deck, and it couldn't be done on curve.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I just realized, this new Saga is fucking History of Benalia. 3 mana for 4 power followed by a 3 mana sorcery if you keep your board.

Also plays incredibly well in multiples.

Status
Not open for further replies.