Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Included in this article is MaRo ranking the sets he worked on. Top two are Innistrad and Ravnica: City of Guilds. Bottom is Battle for Zendikar. One oddly low set is Amonkhet. Ixalan is also very low.
Ixalan is a bipolar set- the flavor/creative is A+, the mechanical execution of the set has a ton of issues because the 4-way faction split was a bad idea and doesn't work in practice like they thought it would in theory.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoy hearing Nelson, BBD, and Baumeister talking about how Nissa is a stupid card that shouldn't exist. The card somehow keeps flying juuuust low enough to stay off people's "Ban ____!" radar.

I have played a shit ton of decks since War of the Spark that are, essentially, just Nissa decks. To great success! But as I've noted over that entire time, I feel dumb playing the card. It's just ez mode.

Judge Convention promos
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
0001_MTGP20_Promo_Judge_EN_HRR_PREM-734x1024.png
0008_MTGP20_Promo_Judge_EN_HRR_PREM-734x1024.png

Judge Convention promos

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
you can still draft oko tho :(

Managed to lose twice to a shitty deck this week that was floundering then oko came out and it was impossible to take down since im running a jank draft deck like people do.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, Oko in Draft isn't anything crazy. The card is good b ut it's not bomb level unless you somehow actually managed to play it on curve basically.

If it's like turn 5 and you lose to an Oko dropping, you probably would've lost way worse to any other bomb at that point (Embercleave, etc).

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I have a MTG Arena and Online code for the Kaleidoscopic Killers bundle. If anyone wants them just message me as I don't really play either game.

Edit: Both gone.

Last edited:

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Pioneer PTQ and challenge results in.

More Okos than there were Smuggler's Copters in previous PTQs.

Why the fuck did Copter get banned again?

Last edited:

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno what to tell you guys. The one time I played against Oko in Draft, I was just put into a hole I couldn't get out of. It did all the things it normally does it Constructed. His loyalty grew too fast for my small creatures. My big creatures became small. I had absolutely no chance to draw planeswalker removal because WotC doesn't want to put Planeswalker removal at anything but rare for some reason. It was a bomb.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes it's a bomb but it doesn't work as well later on in the game, is 2 colors, in a shit color combination
It's not as aggravating as reliable T2/T3 oko in constructed or some of the bombs from WAR limited

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
In what world isn't oko a bomb in draft? Almost all PWs are bombs that dominate the board and Oko on turn 3 or turn 5 is an extremely powerful card. UG is just fine as a colour combo, green and blue are individually strong colours in eldraine.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yes it's a bomb but it doesn't work as well later on in the game, is 2 colors, in a shit color combination
It's not as aggravating as reliable T2/T3 oko in constructed or some of the bombs from WAR limited

If you examine the card in quadrant theory, it's only "bad" if you're especially far behind in the late game. If you're at parity, even in the late game it's going to turn into a bomb.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like I'm in that comic with Donald where he walks into the store then walks back out.

"Everything was Oko."

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Really like the alt art there, glad they're continuing to play with alternative styles. Cool that Ashiok has a more prominent spot, too.

Oct 25, 2017
Ephara helmed one of my favorite Commander decks of all time. Big fan.

I'm really glad that they're sticking with the Theros God template. That's still my favorite God variation.

Both Ashioks are absolutely stunning. Elspeth is really hard to evaluate.

TAFAE

Aug 27, 2018
Michigan
Ashiok looks potentially very strong for Standard. 5 mana is expensive enough to have counterplay and probably not break every format, so that's good.

Question from someone who doesn't follow the story: does Ashiok have any particular connection to Theros? I know they first showed up on Theros but I thought they had come from some other plane originally. Didn't feel like we would need to come to Theros (or summon all of the planeswalkers for a war) in order to have them appear again.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Counting down to Ashodin excitedly gushing about Elspeth's new weapon being a (probably not) busted equipment in 3... 2...

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Question from someone who doesn't follow the story: does Ashiok have any particular connection to Theros? I know they first showed up on Theros but I thought they had come from some other plane originally. Didn't feel like we would need to come to Theros (or summon all of the planeswalkers for a war) in order to have them appear again.
Ashiok is interested in the mechanics behind how gods work on Theros. In the original Theros story, we saw them experiment with this by giving people specific nightmares until they created a god based on those nightmares, who was immediately killed by Ephara. In the IDW comics, we last saw Ashiok escalating their plans with this, but I don't believe that was ever resolved.

Alternade

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that we know next to nothing about Ashiok but that they keep appearing with these really interesting mechanics makes them one of my favorite nu-walker characters

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I feel Elspeth is either super busted or completely unplayable.
I'm in the "she's okay if there's a deck for her" camp. She won't make Standard White weenie playable, but she'll be a curve topper if it exists as a deck... Granted, I'm really not sure if WotC remembers how to print good White cards.

Not playable in Pioneer sadly, even with Thalia's Lieutenant.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
My biggest problems with Elspeth is that the pump doesn't confer any abilities. No vigilance. No first strike. No indestructible. Nothing. And the fact that you can -2 her twice to make four 1/1s, but then you can finish her off with the -1 and pump... half of them. It's an unsatisfyingly unaesthetic design.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
My biggest problems with Elspeth is that the pump doesn't confer any abilities. No vigilance. No first strike. No indestructible. Nothing. And the fact that you can -2 her twice to make four 1/1s, but then you can finish her off with the -1 and pump... half of them. It's an unsatisfyingly unaesthetic design.
In theory, the turn you put her in the graveyard, you can cast her again for the Escape cost.

Oct 25, 2017
I fucking love those lands.

I've neglected my cube because I haven't had a regular playgroup for it for a while, but I might legitimately want to stock my land station with these things. I love them.

Alternade

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't want to buy a box but these full art lands are going to be insanely good value to horde and especially at foil

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The thing about Elspeth is that I just know there will be some ridiculous 4 mana Green midrange beatstick with Escape that makes her look like complete dogshit in comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.