• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Starsunder

Oct 25, 2017
Kefnet could be insane. Turns your chemisters insights into 2 mana draw 2, and you could cast it twice. Just for starters

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
Looks like Bolas is trying to cast the Elder Spell and Niv-Mizzet co-opts it to change the Guildpact to empower him.

Then Bolas defeats Niv in a duel and gets the spell's power to become Dragon-God.

IDK man I need the book

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Which control deck wants to tap out for a cmc4 spell? lol
54af08f7-9c6c-464e-b2f7-2b5803f36481.jpg

Deleted member 29293

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's pretty bad in Standard, the Sorcery part kills it. At that point you might as well play Thousand Year Storm... Might be a side board card for control mirrors.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I want Finale to be good. But it just seems like any deck with red in it wants to win way before having 12 mana. And if you're not casting Finale for 12, it doesn't seem worth it.

Also, for everyone speculating on story, we pretty much already know what happens based on a leak from months ago that has gotten everything right so far:

Gideon dies by sacrificing himself to save Liliana

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
That means you have to cast a wrath and chemisters on t4 and t5 earlier and chemister you can cast at a later point

Super narrow

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I kinda wanna test it in Sneak and Show as 1RR gives me both Ponder and Brainstorm again from the gy, though the double red hurts it.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
At X=2 it'll recast Opt and Chart a Course, and that makes three spells off of one card, which triggers Phoenix.
The Phoenix deck can already cast 3 spells to recur an Arclight more efficiently than 4 mana because they typically run Electromancers, and it doesn't require wasting deck space on a spell that could be awkward in a lot of situations

Oct 28, 2017
The Phoenix deck can already cast 3 spells to recur an Arclight more efficiently than 4 mana because they typically run Electromancers, and it doesn't require wasting deck space on a spell that could be awkward in a lot of situations

I've played a decent amount of phoenix. There are plenty of games where you run out of gas. This would get you right back in for one card. And if you have an Electromancer, it only costs 3 to do that so it's even better. I'm not saying I'd slot it in for sure, but I can see a 1 or 2-of being solid enough to be worth testing at the very least. The card is not bad. It's just not obviously broken. Yet.

Okay, multi-part commander question: Currently, I still have around my original Commander deck, which was the cat deck retrofitted to have Nazahn be the commander, with an equipment focus. Now it's been partly stripped down for my other decks and has kind of lost some of its luster now that I have a number of commanders built from scratch. But still, I always liked equipment. My question is: would any of the other equipment commanders even be especially stronger if I wanted to swivel into one of them? Or, alternatively, is Voltron actually strong enough to be worthwhile, and who would be recommended there?

Oh, and how is Najeela as a commander? I looked at the cards, and at a glance, it kind of seemed like her Warrior tribal deal may give me a better version of what I wanted out of my Allies and (to a lesser degree) Humans decks, which both kind of feel too weak, and she doesn't actually look like her deck would be that crazy to build in terms of price...

If you wanted an equipment commander, Sram is definitely the best bet. You'd be able to use many of the cards you already do, though you'd also want to invest in a ton of cheap equipment with 0 or 1 CMC (cheap as in they're like 10 cents each). You might look into those lists.

Voltron generally isn't good enough. I always wanted to build a Sigarda, Host of Herons deck though and from what I can tell, it's pretty decent as far as voltron goes. It's basically an enchantress deck with voltron stapled on. Maybe look at that. You could run some equipment in it, but I think you'd mainly want enchantments.

Najeela is extremely strong in cEDH, so you might get hated out of the table right away. If you just build warrior tribal, she's good and fair and fun enough. Definitely better than allies and probably better than humans. But I'm still not sure she'd get you much farther than those two unless you built her to abuse extra combat steps, in which case you'll draw a lot of hate.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Phoenix decks in Standard are mostly air and don't have any card advantage spells. Everything is card neutral other than Crackling Drake (and obviously the Phoenix creates CA). You don't play Chemister's because it costs 4 mana and you can never (almost) cast three spells in a turn if one of them is Chemister's. But this would be a 2-for-1 and be three spells. It's absolutely worth a try.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
god what the hell were they thinking with those faces

"they weren't intended to look evil"

well then why does literally everyone think they are?

Chronos

Oct 27, 2017

Phoenix is my pet deck and this looks amazing for it. Phoenix always has a problem with spinning its wheels and churning its hand in some situations. I would much rather cast 1 card from hand for 3 mana and get three spells out of it than cast three spells from hand for the same effect. It is effectively card advantage to resuming Phoenix.

Firemind Vessel

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix is my pet deck and this looks amazing for it. Phoenix always has a problem with spinning its wheels and churning its hand in some situations. I would much rather cast 1 card from hand for 3 mana and get three spells out of it than cast three spells from hand for the same effect. It is effectively card advantage to resuming Phoenix.
But why use one card from hand and 2 from GY for the cost of 1 card in hand when you can just use 3 cards in hand am I right ??

Also :

9vorzuckcur21.png

Please be excited for niv mizzet reborn from the wotc article (spoilers : it's an EDH bait card)
edit : NEVERMIND it should be elder spell. But it'll probably be WUBRG trashy EDH sorcery.

Last edited:

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Me: ooh firemind vessel looks kinda awesome for EDH actually
Me: oh 4-drop nvm

Would be a solid rock if it was either a 3-drop or it came in untapped for 4. This way idk

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
That card would be a lot more fun if they actually listed out the 10 guild combinations it could make.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
So we're in Act III now. 50ish cards left. Still a good number of rares and mythics. Next week should be really interesting.

IceMarker

Oct 26, 2017
United States
WotC Article said:
When we last saw Niv-Mizzet, he wasn't doing so hot. Bolas had struck him down; after all, there's only room for one hyperintelligent dragon on Ravnica.
When did we see this? Am I missing a card from GRN or RNA that displays this? Did I miss one of the online-only stories? Did we skip the end of Act II straight to the middle of Act III? Hello?

Metal Slugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Cloud, MN
Firemind Vessel is great for EDH, come on. It's great ramp+fixing and at bare minimum can tap for a color+colorless. Fits nicely into the mana rock curve at 4 since the only colored 4 mana rocks are Khalni Gem+Paradise Plume and they suuuuck.

Oct 28, 2017
Firemind Vessel is great for EDH, come on. It's great ramp+fixing and at bare minimum can tap for a color+colorless. Fits nicely into the mana rock curve at 4 since the only colored 4 mana rocks are Khalni Gem+Paradise Plume and they suuuuck.

Hedron Archive is much better and it's rarely played. This is unplayable in anything that doesn't need an incredible amount of colored fixing, and even then there are better choices - you don't need a 4CMC rock. That's bad.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
When did we see this? Am I missing a card from GRN or RNA that displays this? Did I miss one of the online-only stories? Did we skip the end of Act II straight to the middle of Act III? Hello?

According to Gavin Verhey on Twitter, this happens during the Django Wexler prequel stories that haven't been released yet. Legal issues surrounding the War of the Spark novel put those stories in the hands of the book's publisher so the players got screwed.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'll guess that the other three bonds are... Rakdos/Golgari (B), Boros/Gruul (R), Izzet/Dimir (U). Setting things up for a shard-based Ravnica 4, obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.