Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Innalillahi wainnailaihi rojiun

Sickening news. I'm waiting for the right to activate conspiracy mode and spew bullshit about how their boy is secretly a Muslim convert and ISIS agent who sacrificed himself in order to further Muslim agenda to take over the glorious aryan world.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Shaprio's hypocracy is hilarious. But "Let's not publicize the killer" isn't really a conservative partisan response. I hear lefties call for the exact same thing all the time.

Well it's complicated, the "let's not publicize the killer" is for psychopaths doing it for the "glory" of media attention, this horrific attack was not some gloryhounds trying to be immortalized infamity, this was an act of organized terrorism.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
I've had this thread open since yesterday and I just don't know what to even say at this point.

Why do people have to hate each other. It fucking sucks.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They showed bits of the video he recorded as he was firing his weapon (on the news), pretty weird feeling. Looked like an FPS game in a horrific kind of way.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Andrew Yang saw this coming.

He's right. And this is just going to get worse. Just read the comments.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
I just found out that someone I know had family that were shot. A brother-in-law and her two year old nephew. She lives in the US and is scrambling to find a way to get to New Zealand as quickly as she can to be with her sister.

The two year old was shot twice but is in stable condition. The father is in critical condition though and is currently in surgery.

It's a small world, no matter how protected or insulated you may feel it's really just an illusion that can be broken at anytime.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Watched the video in the morning. Did not need coffee for the rest of the day. My heart was pumping for hours after that. Probably the worst thing I have ever seen on the Internet. Streaming a genocide, what a fucking surreal world we live in.

The part with the girl on the street was the worst.
I only saw the beginning of the video where he is driving to the location, I didn't want to see anymore. My heart started racing and I couldn't sleep...i barely slept at all last night.

Absolutely horrific stuff

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well it's complicated, the "let's not publicize the killer" is for psychopaths doing it for the "glory" of media attention, this horrific attack was not some gloryhounds trying to be immortalized infamity, this was an act of organized terrorism.
If anything, the debate over whether we should name the perpetrator is only heightened over a terrorist with a political motive. We may not want to promote their political aims.

He's only doing it because he's named in the manifesto.
I see your point.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
I just found out that someone I know had family that were shot. A brother-in-law and her two year old nephew. She lives in the US and is scrambling to find a way to get to New Zealand as quickly as she can to be with her sister.

The two year old was shot twice but is in stable condition. The father is in critical condition though and is currently in surgery.

Man... :( They're in my thoughts. Hoping for a quick recovery. <3

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
I have no words for this. Just tragic... I had the displeasure of seeing couple of uncensored snippets of the shooting and I really really wish I didn't see them. I hope everyone involved is captured and locked for the rest of their days.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017

It's a small world, no matter how protected or insulated you may feel it's really just an illusion that can be broken at anytime.

Jesus. So horrible and sad for them. Hoping for a quick recovery.

Oct 27, 2017
There are threads connecting these terrorists and their radicalization. I think we need to stop the online dissemination and indoctrination that is becoming more common. These people hide behind the freedoms we take for granted and think of as universal, but like the quote from Popper, universal tolerance leads to oppression.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Belgian media did a pretty good job representing this thing for what it was. They even mentioned the alt-right, and how internet culture influenced the perpetrator, and how his manifesto basically asks to spread his ideology via memes.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017

Kinda surprised that Bari was able to both make this about anti-semitism and also throw in what could be interpreted as her own little call to genocide. Very normal

EDIT: a bit more context to drive home how gross this is.

Rabbi Nir Ben Artzi, a prominent Israeli mystic, gave a sermon that was published on Sunday. In it, he referred to Hamas as "the seed of Amalek."

Amalek was the grandson of Esau whose descendants became a nation infamous for attacking the Hebrews after they came out of Egypt. The archetypal enemies of Israel, Torah commands the Jews to wipe out the memory of Amalek.

This commandment requires killing all the men, women, and children, anywhere and at any time.

Rabbi Ben Artzi stated that, as the "seed of Amalek," this commandment applied to Hamas.

When you write for NYT and your response to the mass-murder of Muslims in New Zealand is "death to the enemies of... Israel", I don't think that's a great look.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Err...
Are people seriously defending 2ch as some kind of harmless « Japanese anime forum »?
2ch has been for years the main breeding ground for those known as « Neto-uyo » (ネット右翼, local equivalent of the alt-right).
The political forums there are a monstrous hive of conservatism, nationalism, exceptionalism, revisionism, and racism in proportions rarely seen abroad with that level of visibility. Luckily for the entire world and especially for the Japanese youth, it's been restricted and even censored at provider level for years.
Even on completely mundane topics, I dare any single one of you to find a single thread there about, say, a smartphone, without anyone mentioning how shittily it was made simply because it wasn't Made in Japan.

Trolls and spammers are rampant in every corner of the Japanese Internet since its inception. I've always pinned it on the obsession and dedication to anonymity.

Still, 2ch is basically Japanese Reddit before Reddit existed. Depending on the board, it can be a real shit show.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
I have been processing and figuring out what to say, but I just can't find the words. We have failed to contain the thread that certain corners of the internet pose to the entire world. These are not the darkest depths of internet either. We have to do better, I have to do better; we must hold these corporations and individuals accountable. Rest in peace my brothers and sisters.

Oct 26, 2017
Of course this is this what Nawaz responds with. He cares more about his anti-islam pals than the innocent men, women, and children who were murdered.

Who do these folk think they're fooling? They're so incredibly transparent.

I'm not sure I get what's wrong with what he wrote. He appears to be condemning the shooters.

What am I missing?

Edit: I should mention that I have no idea who this guy is or what his history is.

Edit 2: Nevermind. I'm an idiot.

Last edited:

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Nawaaz is so utterly misguided and is using this to save his anti-muslim pals that perpetuate anti-muslim sentiment that peddle Islam Vs the world rhetoric. In this climate being critical of Islam usually means creating falsehoods about Muslims, theyre intertwined and those after our lives don't care for his convenient wording, that's why we have to stop this form of senseless toxic "critism" and reshape into one that is acceptable. He maybe ok to have a target painted on his head but he's not burying family members today, twat.

Last edited:

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This is all just so disgusting and sad. The reactions of a lot of people on top of the crime itself is so sad. Feels like nothing will change...

zer0blivion

Oct 27, 2017
Canada

The Intercept: Don't Just Condemn the New Zealand Attacks — Politicians and Pundits Must Stop Their Anti-Muslim Rhetoric
---
When I read his manifesto, I couldn't help but think of high-profile American politicians, such as the president of the United States who said, "Islam hates us," referred to "people coming out of mosques with hatred and death in their eyes and on their minds," and compared a caravan of migrants to an "invasion." Or Sen. Ted Cruz, who called on "law enforcement to patrol and secure Muslim neighborhoods before they become radicalized." Or Sen. Marco Rubio who said he was in favor of "closing down anyplace — whether it's a cafe, a diner, an internet site — anyplace where radicals are being inspired." Or Sen. Lindsey Graham who declared: "If I have to monitor a mosque, I'll monitor a mosque." Or former Gov. Mike Huckabee who described Muslims in the Middle East coming out of mosques on Fridays "like uncorked animals." Or even former President Bill Clinton, who suggested at the Democratic National Convention in 2016 that Muslim-American citizenship was contingent on good behavior and proving loyalty: "If you're a Muslim and you love America and freedom and you hate terror, stay here and help us win and make a future together."

When I read the alleged shooter's manifesto, I couldn't help but recall how right-wing pundits have made so many similar statements — and paid no penalty. For example, author Ann Coulter who has spoken openlyof "ragheads," "camel jockeys," and "jihad monkeys," declaimed three days after 9/11 that "we should invade their countries, kill their leaders, and convert them to Christianity." Or commentator Ben Shapiro, who believes that a "majority" of the world's Muslim population is "radicalized" and has claimed that "Arabs like to bomb crap and live in open sewage." Or Fox News host Tucker Carlson, who has won the support of neo-Nazis by repeatedly making not-so-coded references to the white genocide conspiracy theory and has also dismissed Iraqis as "semiliterate primitive monkeys." Or Brigitte Gabriel, friend of the president, who thinks that "a practicing Muslim who believes the word of the Quran to be the word of Allah, who abides by Islam, who goes to mosque and prays every Friday … cannot be a loyal citizen to the United States of America." Or Steve Bannon, former executive chair of Breitbart News and ex-adviser to the president, who has declared, "Islam is not a religion of peace" but "a religion of submission," and warned that the U.S. could transform into the "Islamic States of America."

When I read the manifesto, I couldn't help but remember the names of some prominent liberals, too, such as atheist and scientist Sam Harris, who dubbed Islam "the mother lode of bad ideas" and announced that "we are not at war with 'terrorism.' We are at war with Islam." Or TV host Bill Maher who called Islam "a mafia" and accused "violent" Muslims of bringing "that desert stuff to our world."
---

SerTapTap

Oct 27, 2017
Gandhi pulled it off in India. MLK Jr. pulled it off here.

I think they're notable exceptions to the norm though.

What? King was assassinated, we have a fascist white supremacist as president, and MLK was frequently derided as an "extremist", his protests were exactly what White Moderates love to argue against to this day.

herminihildo

Oct 30, 2017
I've had this thread open since yesterday and I just don't know what to even say at this point.

Why do people have to hate each other. It fucking sucks.

It really sucks. Just hearing the news is devastating. And how it's reflected online just makes it more miserable.

They showed bits of the video he recorded as he was firing his weapon (on the news), pretty weird feeling. Looked like an FPS game in a horrific kind of way.

Stumbled upon the video in Twitter. Well it does look like an FPS with the running and gunning.

I'm sorry to hear that. Wish you and your family for the best.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I'm sorry, did I really have to specify that I was talking about the angry white man who just killed 49 innocent men, women and children and injured hundreds?

Or the fat fuck who spat on 12-year old me and called me a sand nigger?

Or the white teenagers who shattered my knees and threatened to do the worse to my sister if I snitched?

I'm not attacking all white men. For fucks sake.
I think (seemingly) addressing the person who posted what you responded to with a question about "you guys" might have caused some confusion tbh. It comes off generalising this way because you included someone who (I think) is not one of the people you were talking about, even though I know you didn't mean it.

Jun 10, 2018
Gandhi pulled it off in India. MLK Jr. pulled it off here.

I think they're notable exceptions to the norm though.
The Civil Rights movement was anythibf but peaceful, ESPECIALLY if you want to be technical and include the abolitionist/post-WW1 fights for freedom.

He'll I'm pretty sure if I looked into Ghandi's efforts I would find he wasn't so "peaceful" either.

Anyways, others have touched on this already, but we as a society really really REALLY need to bar all discourse promoting hatred. Yes, giving white supremacy a platform allows it to spread, but the MAIN reason why it spreads at all is because, whether or not you debate that kind of rhetoric with facts, the moment you elevate those arguments alongside logic and sound reasoning, you're implicitly conveying that other side has equal or greater merit to those who hear it.

Which is why it MATTERS to either ignore them outright or pursue ostracization via ridicule, because the moment you let up the pressure and entertain "debates" with destructive reasoning all you're doing is feeding gasoline to a fire.

I can unfortunately only offer my condolences to the victims who died or are suffering from such a barbaric senseless act of terror. There is nothing I wish nore in life than to see white supremacy completely expunged from the world.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maajid Nawaz is a piece of shit. American foreign policy is directly responsible for jihadi terror.

He and his company benefit from extremist victims, it keeps his organisation and thier services in the limelight. While I don't think his intentions are malicious, he's definitely exploits these situations and most of the times makes it worse (confusing non Muslims about motivations of moderate muslims).

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Ben Shaprio's like don't publish his manifesto. Don't speak his name. Definitely don't look at this retweets. Under no circumstances should you review his Youtube subscription.