trashhero

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Saint-Petersburg
if you want to sit on the sidelines until people end up dead, fine by me, but you are might as well be one yourself at that point. Nazi are killing people in america and else where.
Well, that's a crux of the matter - i don't have anything to do with neither America nor Western Europe, yet somehow i am partially responsible for murders caused by nazis just because i pointed out that you don't have an actual argument besides appeal to emotions. It seems to me that your only concern is that particular person gets punished by the government, while ideological consistancy can be thrown out of the window, as long as people you don't like are the ones targeted.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, teaching a pug to do a nazi salute for the lulz is exactly like ISIS marching in the streets...
So long as the ISIS sympathisers aren't actually doing anything but marching, they should be allowed the freedom to do so like we always let the Nazis do. Free speech covers a lot of expressions!

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I'll check the others out

I particularly remember the case of the baying mob that terrorised Stella Creasy (who was my MP at the time) and Caroline Criado-Perez after the latter had successfully lobbied the Bank of England to put another woman's face on a banknote to replace one who had been swapped out. The irrationality of the attacks was quite inexplicable. As the case history records, three people were prosecuted. All three received brief custodial sentences, 8 weeks, 12 weeks and 18 weeks respectively.

This latest case didn't target any individuals, so I don't think a custodial sentence is at all likely. The very wide circulation of the antisemitic statements, though, tends to aggravate the offence.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Well, that's a crux of the matter - i don't have anything to do with neither America nor Western Europe, yet somehow i am partially responsible for murders caused by nazis just because i pointed out that you don't have an actual argument besides appeal to emotions. It seems to me that your only concern is that particular person gets punished by the government, while ideological consistancy can be thrown out of the window, as long as people you don't like are the ones targeted.

It's much simpler than that.

Any action like this that helps perpetuate racism shouldn't be allowed. As there's literally no other value to teaching your dog a nazi salute aside from making racists snigger, there's no problem with the way it was handled.

stufte

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So long as the ISIS sympathisers aren't actually doing anything but marching, they should be allowed the freedom to do so like we always let the Nazis do. Free speech covers a lot of expressions!

I don't disagree, the comparison I responded to was "we shouldn't allow this because we wouldn't allow that", and I don't think they're anywhere near the same thing.

stufte

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's much simpler than that.

Any action like this that helps perpetuate racism shouldn't be allowed. As there's literally no other value to teaching your dog a nazi salute aside from making racists snigger, there's no problem with the way it was handled.

Am I a racist because I laughed at the absurdity of teaching a pug something so offensive?

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe this is time for you to support Scottish Independence Quiche? *wink* *wink*

But no, no CD statues. I'd rather have an Alex Salmond statue.

That fat gobshite? Better reopen the mines...

I'll never support Scottish independence (not that I'll get a vote if it comes to it), but I'll tell you what: if you guys ever go it alone I'll wish you all the best. How about that? :-)

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol at the dog having his wang out while looking sad/guilty.

Good he doesn't get away with it. Now my black pug probably will get hated on by that brainwashed 'superior' fawn.

For some reason, the NYPost took an image of the dog with a red rocket and made it look like it was appalled by the communism tattoo lol

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/nazi-dog-3.jpg?quality=90&strip=all

Although it's not appearing on the article

https://nypost.com/2016/04/20/man-turns-girlfriends-dog-into-little-growling-nazi/

That fat gobshite? Better reopen the mines...

I'll never support Scottish independence (not that I'll get a vote if it comes to it), but I'll tell you what: if you guys ever go it alone I'll wish you all the best. How about that? :-)

I'll take it, but I might be in jail for posting "grossly offensive" remarks about Arsenal's title hopes in the FootyEra topic.

Clix

Banned
Because according to many here, racism/hate/offensive comments against whites are fine, but terrible towards other races.

EDIT: Extreme comment. I apologize. I don't know if I should leave it up or take it down, but I realize I was kind of generalizing too much here.

No, leave it up. It's not extreme because I've seen the same nonsense it's no acceptable.

It's just that I see comments like this:
"White AMERICAN culture is taking things from other cultures and passing it off as your own. Can't speak about any others tho."
And I can't help but think this is kind of a sweeping generalization about white people in general, and can be seen as kinda offensive (but not very offensive.

And I say this as someone who isn't white.

As a non white person, I hate those type of comments because one of the things from so many cultures around the world, and specifically the Americas, is that we have all grabbed from various cultures and made it our own. My people's culture is taking European, African, Middle Eastern and indigenous culture and making it our own. What is important though, is being AWARE that that's the case. We all owe evening to so many rich various cultures, including various European cultures. Even the European background from my mother's side, from the region her ancestors hailed from, was the result of local culture mixing with foreign cultures after we were invaded.

How the fuck is that similar to "many people here being ok with racism against white people?"

It's not but at the same time it is because it generalized and it many times comes with contempt which does come off as racist to me. Now it's not the same as saying "kill all white people", yes, of course. That said, I have seen violent remarks made in the past on the old forum. Won't speak about this forum cause I see mods stomp it out.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that sounds implausible at best, outright ignorant at worst. I don't even know where to begin unpacking everything wrong with that statement.
There's nothing wrong with the statement and it's something we should be aiming for as best we can.

And with things like this, where there's literally no value to the action, it's very easy to unpack.

You said there was no other value to this other than making racists snigger.
because you said there was no other value to it beside to make racists chuckle.
That's not valuable though, obviously, and it's not a direct response to the joke itself but the absurdity surrounding it.

So yeh, no other value.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Listening to this destiny debate, I could not give a shit lol. It may not be right but you don't see people dying on a hill for other injustices.

Deleted member 15326

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Considering who it was, I figured teaching the dog to do a Laura Ingraham was something he'd already done separate from committing some more common hate crime

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I think what he did is in poor taste but the joke he is making is pretty clear.

His wife brags about the dog being cute. Nazi's are not cute (aka bad). I'm going to make this cute thing ugly. That's the whole joke. He knows and thinks Nazi's are bad.

Poor taste, but clearly is not an advocate of Naziism.

Unless there is something I'm missing.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I think what he did is in poor taste but the joke he is making is pretty clear.

His wife brags about the dog being cute. Nazi's are not cute (aka bad). I'm going to make this cute thing ugly. That's the whole joke. He knows and thinks Nazi's are bad.

Poor taste, but clearly is not an advocate of Naziism.
We don't know enough to know if he is or isn't, but stuff like this DOES help perpetuate racism.

It does harm, it's stupid, the punishment is fine.

See, I disagree. The absurdity of a pug doing something so offensive was the joke IMO.

Even if that's the case, the damage something like this does far outweighs any value.

You can find other absurd things to laugh about that don't help perpetuate racism. Not a big sacrifice for you.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I don't disagree, the comparison I responded to was "we shouldn't allow this because we wouldn't allow that", and I don't think they're anywhere near the same thing.
Them not being on the same level is irrelevant to the point that poster was making, which is that any displays of free speech, regardless of degree, by white supremacists are more tolerated than those of black and brown terrorist groups; hell, there are a few posters here whose shtick is literally just to defend "non-violent" displays of Nazism. Overall, he's lamenting the obvious racism, but if you need a more direct comparison just like for any dialogue on Charlottesville.

Carl2291

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is terrifying.

Arrested and prison time for a fucking joke. What's next? What's the end goal?

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
We don't know enough to know if he is or isn't, but stuff like this DOES help perpetuate racism.

It does harm, it's stupid, the punishment is fine.
Jail time for being stupid and careless is extreme.

We are talking about hypothetical harm. Not physical or measurable harm that can be traced. Law needs to be based on the objective to be fair and just.

At least that's my opinion.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This is terrifying.

Arrested and prison time for a fucking joke. What's next? What's the end goal?
It's only terrifying if you're a Nazi in the UK.

If you are such a person, just come to America. The majority here will accept you as a misguided troublemaker who just needs to sit on a liberal's lap and be educated.

Branu

Banned
Feb 7, 2018
It's just that I see comments like this:
"White AMERICAN culture is taking things from other cultures and passing it off as your own. Can't speak about any others tho."
And I can't help but think this is kind of a sweeping generalization about white people in general, and can be seen as kinda offensive (but not very offensive.

And I say this as someone who isn't white.

Awful nice strawman you've propped up there.

Cream

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely positive a good chunk of the people so upset about this have heard a lot of racism from peers that they ignored and didn't call out.

stufte

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Even if that's the case, the damage something like this does far outweighs any value.

You can find other absurd things to laugh about that don't help perpetuate racism. Not a big sacrifice for you.

Cool. I guess I'll stick to watching the Producers.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
It's only terrifying if you're a Nazi in the UK.

If you are such a person, just come to America. The majority here will accept you as a misguided troublemaker who just needs to sit on a liberal's lap and be educated.
Nepenthe, you continuously make extreme straw man cases and exaggerations that are very questionable at times.

Stop it, please. This is how misinformation spreads.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
The ruling is really stupid. But from the little that I've heard about the guy recently, I don't feel bad for him.

ADee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
People who defend the guy, is it ok to stand in the middle of the street and shout: "Heil Hitler", if it's a joke? I see this as the same thing.

Edit: clarified that I was talking about Dankula

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Podcast segment - https://youtu.be/-fTnuqbxxW4

People who defend this, is it ok to stand in the middle of the street and shout: "Heil Hitler", if it's a joke? I see this as the same thing.

Socially unacceptable, but not necessarily something you should potentially face jail time for if you were simply being an idiot/trying to be funny with mates (an actual Nazi march in the UK would be shut down and charged with terrorism). This wasn't in the public sphere though, it was on YouTube. YT isn't exactly the same as in a public square. You have to consent to watch a YT video, as strange as that sounds.

trashhero

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Saint-Petersburg
There's nothing wrong with the statement and it's something we should be aiming for as best we can.
First, your proposition requires completely disregarding last few hundreds of years in jurisprudence advancements, since obviously you classify something as crime by its outcome, not the intent. Second, for each individual "crime" you would have to show causal link between the act (such as dog nazi-saluting) and societal racist tendencies, which i hope you understand is pretty much impossible.
So, unless you can give me a good reason to just throw established legal theory out of the window AND provide receipts to some cutting edge scientific methods, which allow to measure perpetuation of racism by individual actions, i can only describe your proposition as ignorant and short-sighted.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
People who defend the guy, is it ok to stand in the middle of the street and shout: "Heil Hitler", if it's a joke? I see this as the same thing.

Edit: clarified that I was talking about Dankula
That doesn't seem like the same thing to me, that lacks context and doesn't have any sort of punchline.

Is that something he did?

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
What right is being violated here?

If you take the notion of freedom of speech or freedom expression remotely seriously, then I don't see how you can see this verdict as anything but absurd. And if your general position is that bad things happening to bad people is good, full stop, then that inherently sanctions infinite scenarios of the government violating people's rights.

And if you think freedom of speech should be waived whenever you can draw some indirect connection between an act of speech and acts of violence committed by different people on the basis of some common social or political activity, then no, you don't take freedom of speech remotely seriously.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
First, your proposition requires completely disregarding last few hundreds of years in jurisprudence advancements, since obviously you classify something as crime by its outcome, not the intent. Second, for each individual "crime" you would have to show causal link between the act (such as dog nazi-saluting) and societal racist tendencies, which i hope you understand is pretty much impossible.
So, unless you can give me a good reason to just throw established legal theory out of the window AND provide receipts to some cutting edge scientific methods, which allow to measure perpetuation of racism by individual actions, i can only describe your proposition as ignorant and short-sighted.

Actions like this absolutely help perpetuate racism, don't be daft.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

someone could be shouting "I love puppies. Love one another" in the middle of the street and it wouldn't be an ok thing to do

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
If you take the notion of freedom of speech or freedom expression remotely seriously, then I don't see how you can see this verdict as anything but absurd. And if your general position is that bad things happening to bad people is good, full stop, then that inherently sanctions infinite scenarios of the government violating people's rights.

And if you think freedom of speech should be waived whenever you can draw some indirect connection between an act of speech and acts of violence committed by different people on the basis of some common social or political activity, then no, you don't take freedom of speech remotely seriously.
As far as I can tell, the UK doesn't have the basic "right" to free speech in the same way the US does. There doesn't appear to be a right to violate unless you think this kind of speech is an inalienable right, which if that's the case then there's really no point in arguing about whether he broke the law or not at all.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Then you absolutely can show me the receipts to such a claim, can't you?
What receipts do you need to understand how throwing around Racist jokes like this (even if the intent easn't racist itself, which itself is a grey area) perpetuates racism?

You don't. Stop being daft.

Have you heard the lyrics of Springtime for Hitler? It's filled with Nazi propaganda. And it's supposed to be funny!
Not the same thing as teaching your dog to throw a nazi salute.

One is carefully considered absurdist comedy, the other is a shit throwaway joke that has no value to it.