• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
pkbltgufogk61.jpg

JJK in good company.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Did anybody else laugh at the bit in Kowloon where they're like "yeah, our team was unstoppable legends!" and then just casually sliding in that it was from 89-91? 3 years. They're pining after the 3 years 30 years ago where they made it to the nationals.

This whole series has this weird energy to it where despite definitely being about highschool sports, the level of professionalism expected is more like what you'd expect from a pro team... except that bit, which is so highschool sports it hurts.

I mean so far we've seen two teams

One of the elite schools for baseball in Japan which seems pretty accurate to elite hs sports across the world

And your typical "we'll be great again like we were xx years ago" which as someone who grew up in a rural town that had a former hs baseball championship team in like the 50's, I know people talked about wanting to be "better then those teams"

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I mean so far we've seen two teams

One of the elite schools for baseball in Japan which seems pretty accurate to elite hs sports across the world

And your typical "we'll be great again like we were xx years ago" which as someone who grew up in a rural town that had a former hs baseball championship team in like the 50's, I know people talked about wanting to be "better then those teams"
I know, I thought it was hilariously perfect. I just wish somebody had called them out on how ridiculous the nostalgia is, lol.

I do think that the way they're talking about schools scouting players and giving them sports scholarships as if it's a normal-ass thing is eyebrow-raising, though. Idk, maybe you really do get that shit in places where they take HS sports really, really seriously, like football in Texas, but it's not been a feature of any other sports manga I'd read so it stuck out to me.

Oct 25, 2017
I do think that the way they're talking about schools scouting players and giving them sports scholarships as if it's a normal-*** thing is eyebrow-raising, though.
Really, I thought its in many of the major series (theres always at least one school that people get in through scouting and sports scholarships, Haikyuu and shiratorizawa, many teams in Ace of Diamond, major 2nd (Nishina and co), etc)

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
To Your Eternity Vol. 1-3

Coming right out of A Silent Voice, I jumped into Yoshitoki's next work. This is a really tricky book to talk about without specifics. I read the entirety of volume 1 and did not know where the heck this thing was going. I wasn't sold on it at all at that point in spite of an interesting premise, but I pressed onto volume 2. Volume 2 really got me invested in the book, though. It wasn't just realizing where the story was going, but the book had me crying over characters I barely knew at this point. There's a really strong message there about adaptation and perseverance that extends past the premise; it's the core of the book in a lot of ways, as many of its characters learn to live under new life circumstances. I really love what this book is doing, and Yoshitoki knows exactly how to tug at my heart strings. I'm interested for more folks to read this one once the anime kicks off next month, and excited to see where the book goes from here.

RcC5RmK.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
BLue Flag volume 6
EvhR9-nXEAEOiQk

One thing I love about this series are those tiny minor scenes where it seems like something magical is happening between Toma and Taichi that makes me hope there is something or will be something between them, its always those lingering gazes, or those special touches, here was like a lingering gaze and a soft fond look before leaving the classroom, or the touching hands when sharing ice cream, cute.

Beyond that, the set of chapters were alright touching upon confronting oneself and figuring out what makes you happy and how to get that happiness, or in this case, coming to grips with oneself and their feelings for someone else, which easily led to a great closing chapter for the volume.

The volume did make me feel like I could care less about the non main couples, I think the non main couples have kind of overstayed their welcome, and one of Toma's friends is incredibly annoying, to the point that I was like can I just skim his pages (I didn't)

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
A Tropical Fish Yearns for Snow Vol. 5-6

I've been surprised by both how much I wanted to keep reading this book when I left off last time, but I finally got around to it and I'm maybe even more surprised by how much I enjoyed these latest volumes. I mentioned it in a previous post, but the book is very good about giving each of its characters their own compelling issues to grapple with (even Koyuki's mom and dad). In particular, I can personally relate to Koyuki's struggles with loneliness, where it stems from, and how she wants people to recognize what she's going through. These two books were also a lot about how people are unable to communicate how they feel effectively to each other, and I think that's an understandable point to drive home, however frustrating it is to read about these people just missing each other. I also can understand where Konatsu is coming from, even if it's extremely selfish. Having to wait 2 months for a new volume sucks. :(

RDtgsJo.jpg

Mankoto

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 28, 2017
Really just proves that jump needs to give their manga, anime way sooner theyre currently doing.

Don't know if it will get to the lifetime of a few of those series though if its ending in two years.
To be fair, things take time. I can't remember if it was MAPPA who said this specifically, but things went into motion for the anime when the second volume was released. Of course, there are manga that get announced to be anime way sooner, but are they ever this polished? Probably not. That said, I'd be shocked if Yozakura Family didn't have an anime at least announced by the end of the year. Same with Undead Unlock.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
World Trigger #206:
I've probably gone insane being a fan of this series, but I just lose my absolute shit laughing when we get a straight up board meeting chapter. Still some of the low key jokes this chapter like Konami calling out Hyuse for being a spoiled a baby when he burns things in the microwave and Tachikawa Squad's drawings (I got a good laugh from Ninomiya being a dumb lion and Wakamura being Megaman randomly) are great.

Still though what the fuck is up with the design for Kako Squad's Trapper. Given that everyone else in this series so far looks like a normal person such an oddball design stands out.

Last edited:

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
To be fair, things take time. I can't remember if it was MAPPA who said this specifically, but things went into motion for the anime when the second volume was released. Of course, there are manga that get announced to be anime way sooner, but are they ever this polished? Probably not. That said, I'd be shocked if Yozakura Family didn't have an anime at least announced by the end of the year. Same with Undead Unlock.
YF feels like one where you want some filler chapters for additional comedy moments. They'd slide in easy and you have the perfect cast for it

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Phantom Seer ranking so low despite apparently selling pretty well is weird.

Like, if it's that popular, how did it end up under even Build King and Dolphin Cop?

Oct 25, 2017
World Trigger 206
EvkMMoYXYAoG34u

lol

kinda of wish there was some poster of all the characters and the provisional squads, just ultimately, just once again the past chapters and this one are ones to bookmark and keep on screen while going in the future.

Hyuse being an underdog here will be nice.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

Like, if it's that popular, how did it end up under even Build King and Dolphin Cop?

Could be like late era Bleach, not really driving magazine engagement, but selling well in volume form. I think we'll get a much better idea when the 4 new series start getting ranked. Maybe all 3 "bottom" series are doing better then expected, and there's just nothing bombing below them to make them not look dead last.

Mankoto

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 28, 2017

That sounds like the inverse of Dr. Stone. In the beginning it ranked super high, but nobody bought the volumes. Ever since the anime came out, it's been doing a lot better.

Oct 25, 2017
Owari no Seraph 100
EvkPa3dWgCE4L6g

EvkPa3pXYAIf1YA

When Yoichi is just not booksmart like Yuu, lol.

Really want to know what the fated Yuu Asuramaru meeting will be and how he'll convince him to come back to the light side.

Also newborn demon mika is great.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
World Trigger 206
Mic drop moment for shonen exam arcs. Everyone and everything being evaluated lol. That A rank line seems to indicate maybe way more will be going on away mission than I thought. Somewhat surprised captain the interviews were skipped but maybe we will cut back to some of them.

Some of the doodles are pretty funny. Wire buddies.

Gotchaforce

Oct 31, 2017
I got the Shonen Jump app recently. I've caught up with One Punch Man and DB Super. I noticed Super has a countdown to the next chapter but OPM doesn't. Is that normal?

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
Sinner of The Azure Abyss
Just found out akihito tomi's got a new series
Love his stravaganza stuff
Only found 2 chapters so far

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Baki Dou 86

It's hilarious seeing Trump try to get Yujiro to back his stolen election conspiracy only for Yujiro to not give a single shit and fall asleep. Trump getting his ass kicked by a sleeping Yujiro was just the icing on the cake. Yes you read that right, Baki is actually dealing with Trump's BS.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
If Kakizaki is remembered for his tv stint, I guess Osamu's would certainly have made a splash. When does Border in series get on the stage play PR kick.

All the board meetings need to be musical numbers.

Also it obviously wouldn't get that far, but I'm imagining Hyuse coming out on stage singing the Canadian National Anthem.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Kaguya Latest

Bro how do you let her sleep on the floor in a different room. What kind of a bad host are you smh

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Kaguya 219

As others have said, Kaguya sleeping in a futon instead of Miyuki's bed is such a strange scene. After all, Miyuki went to the living room, so it was just natural for letting Kaguya sleep on his bed. Is it perhaps something related to Japanese culture?
By the way, we are so near and yet so far to those four pages. And the reason we are so far is Miyuki. He had the courage to set up the dual confession in the Culture Festival arc, and now did he lose it?

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I tell C is weird...I can't tell if that new author character who just appeared is legit supposed to be just seen as a new member of gang or if I'm supposed to be suspicious of him just popping outta nowhere.

Oct 25, 2017
" Andy Nakatani, Shonen Jump editor-in-chief at VIZ Media, the American manga publisher and distributor, says "Demon Slayer," is one of its top-sellers with more than 3 million copies in print in the U.S. "

apnews.com

Animated 'Demon Slayer' strikes chord with pandemic Japan

TOKYO (AP) — The demons are everywhere, sometimes spreading like purple slime, lurking, killing. The terrifying plight depicted in the swashbuckling animated film, “Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba the Movie: Mugen Train,” has struck a chord with pandemic-era Japan, and possibly with the world.

well explains why viz wants a boxset of it out this year,

RuffMadman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Kaguya 219

I have a feeling it might actually happen if the author wanted to be realistic with HS relationships. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if Kaguya just fell asleep

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
" Andy Nakatani, Shonen Jump editor-in-chief at VIZ Media, the American manga publisher and distributor, says "Demon Slayer," is one of its top-sellers with more than 3 million copies in print in the U.S. "

apnews.com

Animated 'Demon Slayer' strikes chord with pandemic Japan

TOKYO (AP) — The demons are everywhere, sometimes spreading like purple slime, lurking, killing. The terrifying plight depicted in the swashbuckling animated film, “Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba the Movie: Mugen Train,” has struck a chord with pandemic-era Japan, and possibly with the world.

well explains why viz wants a boxset of it out this year,
I wonder how much is MHA then since it is always above Demon slayer in the US market

edit: a quick search showed me this

Last edited:

GG-Duo

Oct 27, 2017
Fire Force 256

Uhh, so in light of the 4th wall break in the previous chapter, is Victor Licht looking at the reader like Grant Morrison's Animal Man?

Is Twitter feeding the flames in this manga?

Status
Not open for further replies.