• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If Nobara was dead her whole head would have blown off or her entire body would have disintegrated like Nanami. I imagine her development is definitely gonna come after her recovery especially if she's gonna have a scar going forward. Also I say that Nanami's death was more of a propeller for Yuji's character development and a way to significantly break his conviction/resolve down. The same with the attack against Nobara as well.

I say that the character development for some of these characters have been subtle, but I can definitely understand where the criticism is coming from though.
Yeah, I imagine that it would be a nice start to grow Nobara's character a bit more but I feel like even though we're still early in the story, Nanami's death and Nobara's injuries are probably the biggest thing that happened to Yuji's close ones and having Yuji interact a bit more with Nobara would've been a good way to highlight that. But it's just a tiny nitpick and it will probably flow better for me once we get to the aftermath

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Hi all, I've been on a big manga mood this last couple of months so I managed to get caught up on a lot of things:

One Piece 167-994

Finally had the time to get caught up, I dropped it years ago because as a kid I wasn't feeling Oda's art. Now that I've read it all I can say that I've grown to like his distinctive style. I also get why it's that popular, with the way the world feels alive and characters having a lot of depth. The scope of the story is pretty ridiculous. I still feel like Enies Lobby hasn't been topped but the way Oda was able to keep his story interesting all this time is quite a feat. Of course there's a few arcs that felt like a slog (I'm looking at you Thriller Bark) but being able to read it all in one chunk allowed me to power through.

Tokyo Revengers 1-178

The concept's fun, playing with the butterfly effect allows for a lot in terms of possibilities. The characters are ok albeit a bit too stuck to their archetypes. It's a cool read so far.

Jujutsu Kaisen 1-128

While I like it, I feel like most of the characters are extremely underdeveloped:

Like Nanami and Kugisaki's death (or "death" for Kugidaki) should've been impactful but it felt like I barely knew them even accounting for their flashbacks

Best part of it right now is a toss up between Gojo's flashback and Itadori x Todo against Hanami. All I could think of reading it was how cool this could be in the anime. The Shibuya arc is shaking things up a lot so I'm interested in where this is going.

Chainsaw Man 1-91

Probably my favorite from the ones I just started. It felt really comicbooky in the way Fujimoto used the panels which made it fresh for me. It's fast paced without lacking in neglecting characters developments and gets better and better as it goes on IMO. Reze's arc was an highlight as well as everything following what happened with the Gun Devil.

Sun-Ken Rock 1-43

I'm thinking of dropping this, I can't stand ecchi stuff anymore and the art and writing isn't strong enough for me to even try to overlook it.

Spy X Family 1-8

I'm not that far into it as of now but I can already tell I'm going to love this. The dynamic between Loid, Anya and Yor is near perfect from what I read.
Holy shit. That's a lot. Jealous that you're caught up with Revengers. I'm around 100.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
One Piece 167-994

Finally had the time to get caught up, I dropped it years ago because as a kid I wasn't feeling Oda's art. Now that I've read it all I can say that I've grown to like his distinctive style. I also get why it's that popular, with the way the world feels alive and characters having a lot of depth. The scope of the story is pretty ridiculous. I still feel like Enies Lobby hasn't been topped but the way Oda was able to keep his story interesting all this time is quite a feat. Of course there's a few arcs that felt like a slog (I'm looking at you Thriller Bark) but being able to read it all in one chunk allowed me to power through.

Now it's time to suffer while waiting for new chapters ;-;

If you want, check the OP OT here.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit. That's a lot. Jealous that you're caught up with Revengers. I'm around 100.

First time in years I've had this much time on my hands so I took advantage of it.

It's such an easy read, I'm a bit skeptical on the current arc but it's still entertaining me a lot.

Now it's time to suffer while waiting for new chapters ;-;

If you want, check the OP OT here.

I've been dreading getting to Wano for this very reason lol.

I'll pop in in time for next week's chapter, thanks for the link!

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't until I'd read the thread today thst I realized I'd forgotten to read Our Blood Oath, lol. Guess that's a drop. Really just not a lot there to like. Or even dislike, really.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Read through all of Land Lock on Manga Plus. Ultimate impression was that it started pretty darn interesting, and the initial setup felt strong... but then it threw twist after twist after twist in its short run, and for the most part they didn't really add up great and it felt like it kinda stumbled to an end. There was still some solid stuff, but I kinda wish it stuck to its guns more than getting distracted with like "Look, big monster! What a cliffhanger!" (and then throwing out halfhearted explanations later.)

Also, man, Platinum End went so far off the rails that it's long since hit "the hell am I even reading?" status. At least it seems like it's gotta be wrapping up momentarily, I guess...

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I imagine that it would be a nice start to grow Nobara's character a bit more but I feel like even though we're still early in the story, Nanami's death and Nobara's injuries are probably the biggest thing that happened to Yuji's close ones and having Yuji interact a bit more with Nobara would've been a good way to highlight that. But it's just a tiny nitpick and it will probably flow better for me once we get to the aftermath

I can understand that Nanami one because he didn't interact much with Yuji, but I guess in his case it's more of the quality of the interaction rather than the quantity. The moment he finally respected Yuji as a sorcerer is a huge development between both characters and why his death was monumental. However, like you said if there were a bit more interactions it would have been much better.

As for Nobara, I feel we have had a good amount of interactions between the characters. The Origin of Obedience arc where they both fought the curse brothers helped advance their relationship a lot I feel. The conversation between two of them about killing humans was one of my favorite moments in the manga just only because we got an in-depth feel between both the characters.

Although I wouldn't hate seeing more of the trio interact a lot more like that short flashback of them messing around right before part of Nobara's face exploded.

I'll say this the Shibuya arc is definitely gonna be a turning point for the series. I just want to see the outcome this arc will have on the future.

Edit: I just realized how much manga you read and holy crap you ran through a lot. Ahahaha you've done way better than I have when it comes to reading manga.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Kaguya 207

Kei Shirogane wants to be welcoming, but with such a father and brother it is difficult to properly welcome a nice girl like Kaguya. And this is only the beginning of Kaguya's journey to hell Shirogane's house, as hinted by the last page of this chapter.
More romantic comedies should try to continue after the main couple gets together as this manga. All these chapters about the development of the relationship between Kaguya and Miyuki feel so fresh when compated to other manga.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Kaguya 207

nRIPVvU.png

Kaguya's Finally Saw Miyuki's room, Judge From Kaguya's face this probably worse than she imagines.

Also, Break next week. Aka needs to play Apex Legend to recharge his stamina again.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Catching up to a manga is the worst.

I got caught up to MHA and I hate every chapter now because it just seems to go nowhere. Felt the same about Jujutsu for awhile though the latest chapters have been solid.

Jul 19, 2020
I've started reading Drifting Dragons the past week and I'm enjoying it so far, but the further I get the more I realize it's mostly for elements that give me a Dungeon Meshi vibe - particularly the mixture of worldbuilding and monster hunting with more low tempo cooking sequences to bind the two together, though that might drop off later on. Also nothing too heavy so far on the fanservice or creep factor which is always a plus.

Starting to think it's turning into a new niche interest for me and probably going to have to go looking for any other series that also hit that mix of cooking/lore/hunting right.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Catching up to a manga is the worst.

I got caught up to MHA and I hate every chapter now because it just seems to go nowhere. Felt the same about Jujutsu for awhile though the latest chapters have been solid.

Being current with any manga is the worst for pacing, the best way I find to deal with it is to be caught up on a lot of weekly/monthly manga.

Oct 27, 2017
That's why I do year-long pauses for certain manga or read them when there's only a handful of chapters left. For example I haven't read One Piece for a year and I can't wait for the moment I'm going to binge 40+ chapters.

Likewise I read Kimetsu No Yaiba when it was nearing its end, and I just caught up on Chainsaw Man after putting it on pause on chapter 20.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
Oshi no Ko 24

The lighthearted banter between the characters often makes me forgot that this is a pretty dark series. I like that Aka criticizes the terrible condition in the entertainment industry and the internet culture with his manga though.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Oshi no Ko 24

This is awfully close to what happened earlier this year with Terrace House and Hana Kimura's suicide. Like so close there's no way its a coincidence. I really hope Aka knows what he's doing.

First thing that came to mind at the start of this whole reality dating arc, and of course it was Aka's intention all along.

NGL this has become the far more compelling one of the two Aka series now, but he's walking on a tight rope here with such a sensitive topic.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Can anybody chime in on Jigokuraku and its overall quality ? I like chambara/any historical stuff really, first chapter was okay enough and the art is very up my alley. Any red flags or damning consensus I should know about ?

Oshi no Ko 24

This is awfully close to what happened earlier this year with Terrace House and Hana Kimura's suicide.
:(

I 'discovered' TH this year, watched a few eps, skimmed through some of the content but had no idea about this.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Can anybody chime in on Jigokuraku and its overall quality ? I like chambara/any historical stuff really, first chapter was okay enough and the art is very up my alley. Any red flags or damning consensus I should know about ?

:(

I 'discovered' TH this year, watched a few eps, skimmed through some of the content but had no idea about this.

Haven't read Jigokuraku, but I've heard really good things about it from close friends. Seeing the way they describe it may as well satisfy your tastes lol.

Probably gonna give it a try eventually myself.

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't see it posted in the thread, but here's the sales rankings for the newest Jump volumes.

Magu-chan did pretty well for a new series from a new author.
Roboco also doing well. Guess kids in Japan love it. Both will probably surpass the existence threshold of Yozakura Family.
Cop & Dolphin is a bit lower. Not bad for a newbie but Tamura isn't a newbie. At least it's not a Samurai 8 level bomba.
No surprise Haikyuu got #1. It is the finale.
Good on Chainsaw Man too. Heard it trended hard on Twitter since that's the volume where Aki dies

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Didn't see it posted in the thread, but here's the sales rankings for the newest Jump volumes.

Roboco also doing well. Guess kids in Japan love it. Both will probably surpass the existence threshold of Yozakura Family.
Cop & Dolphin is a bit lower. Not bad for a newbie but Tamura isn't a newbie. At least it's not a Samurai 8 level bomba.
Good on Chainsaw Man too. Heard it trended hard on Twitter since that's the volume where Aki dies

Ah man I like MYF, I hope it makes it a while longer, things are just kicking into to full gear. But hey as long as magu Chan survives
giYMZaC_d.webp

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy for Magu-chan fans. Seems like Moriking and Agravity are on the chopping block tho.

Also it seems like we are getting a gag chapter for Jujutsu Kaisen.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

M:YF is fine unless Jump gets flooded in the next 6 months with hit after hit. It's sales and toc rankings continue to trend upward.

Oct 26, 2017
Welcome to Ballroom 56
A part of me is hoping that Tatara is being stalked and doesn't have vision problems based on the ending of the previous chapter. At least one of those can be dealt with

Nice cool down chapter and it was obvious Tatar's still hasn't told his parents about the dancing yet (so it's kinda like what does he tell his parents when he disappears for competitions)

Hoping the start of the Sendai dance competition is in a few chapters (probably be like 10 chapters away)

Freaking Sengoku and Kaname dance cover.

Last edited:

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to the Ballroom 56
Wasn't expecting some development for the beginning of the series bully, but it's interesting to see how Tatara's growth has made an impact on him and conversely how he is nothing to Tatara now.

Every Tatara panel got me concerned after last chapter's cliffhanger. Looks like a big showdown is coming up if his health holds up.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Ron Kamonohashi 4

Sad theres a break but well for me it just means its next week.

Fun end to this mystery, glad the new guy isn't a rat to try to spoil the fun and is actually kind of silly.

Hope he's back soon.

World Trigger 203

Aw a month long wait to see who the new squads will be, hoping Shun and Yuma end up together. II wonder if Kitora and Mikumo will end up together.

Last edited:

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda feel bad for Yozakura Family. Spy X Family came along and did the "family of spies" thing way better. I'm sure an anime will boost it, but same can be said for the already huge success Spy X Family.

Oct 25, 2017
Yozakura Family may get an anime first since it's weekly, while Spy X Family is bi-weekly and will likely take longer to get a proper anime.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
JJK 129

The next chapter has to be the finale of this fight. Still this fight has been one of the more creative fights from the villain standpoint.

Can't wait to see this animated one day.

October 2020
OP
OP
dramazen

dramazen

Oct 25, 2017
October Recommendation: Fragments of Horror (by Junji Ito)

E5RoyJS.jpg

Supernatural shorts from a cat lover | 1 volume, complete work, licensed in English
An old wooden mansion that turns on its inhabitants. A dissection class with a most unusual subject. A funeral where the dead are definitely not laid to rest. Ranging from the terrifying to the comedic, from the erotic to the loathsome, these stories showcase Junji Ito's long-awaited return to the world of horror. (source)

From Lain:
I'm sure any horror fan or Ito's fan has already read it and I'm the one late to the party here, but if someone hasn't read it or even if someone isn't a big horror fan (I'm not one either), give it a chance, it's decidedly worth your time investment. (source)

Last edited:

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Me & Roboco 17
Setting up the big play for what seemed had to be a another Haikyu reference only for the page turn to be Sakuragi king of rebounds got me good. The main gag of only understanding the rules through Haikyu's opening lines was also well implemented though. One day Bondo will learn to trust his friends.

Series continues to amusingly poke fun at itself with the "author doesn't understand rotating line".

Undead Unluck 39
Anno Un is even more wild than expected and already a fun addition to the cast. Can't imagine this series will have an orthodox training arc so curious what it entails.

Phantom Seer 11
Creepy! Artist can certainly deliver some horror imagery. Probably the most interesting narratively the series has been up to this point too.

Oct 25, 2017
Me & Roboco 17
Setting up the big play for what seemed had to be a another Haikyu reference only for the page turn to be Sakuragi king of rebounds got me good. The main gag of only understanding the rules through Haikyu's opening lines was also well implemented though. One day Bondo will learn to trust his friends.

Series continues to amusingly poke fun at itself with the "author doesn't understand rotating line".
i love the inarizaki moment (and the banner, lol)

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
11 chapters in and Phantom Seer has yet to do anything to set itself apart from simply being "Jujutsu Kaisen at-home"

This week had some really fucking creepy art, but besides that its very uninspired

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like Yozakura Family. While SxF does the humor and characters a lot better, YF's lean into shonen stuff has become interesting and I hope this is part of an expansion of its mythos. Its fun and is hitting the spot while SxF takes its time to delve into its mythos.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Yeah MYF keeps improving as it develops
Me & Roboco 17

Undead Unluck 39
Anno Un is even more wild than expected and already a fun addition to the cast. Can't imagine this series will have an orthodox training arc so curious what it entails.

Phantom Seer 11
Creepy! Artist can certainly deliver some horror imagery. Probably the most interesting narratively the series has been up to this point too.
And now we know why they did the timeskip over a previous training period. Also PS has the female lead character developing skills to be useful which is a nice change of pace

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Yeah MYF keeps improving as it develops

And now we know why they did the timeskip over a previous training period. Also PS has the female lead character developing skills to be useful which is a nice change of pace

PS feels like it's setting up for a cancelation "... the story continues" ending

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
www.animenewsnetwork.com

Shonen Jump Launches 2 New Manga, Including New Series by Toriko's Shimabukuro

"Architecture battle" manga Build King launches on November 16

Can't believe Build King is finally coming out, thought it was going to be the manga equivalent of vapourware.

I can't see it lasting in JUMP, seems like such a weird concept.
Both those series sound fun to me. I mean the guy pulled off a battle shonen around food and hunting, so an unusual setup is kinda his thing. We'll see if it sticks the landing. These will both be on Viz's app right?

Oct 25, 2017
Both those series sound fun to me. I mean the guy pulled off a battle shonen around food and hunting, so an unusual setup is kinda his thing. We'll see if it sticks the landing. These will both be on Viz's app right?

Yes. I imagine going forward, all Jump manga will be on the Viz app.
In cases like Ayakashi Triangle where it's too lewd, they'll restrict to the website only.
With Yuuna ending, that meant all series will now be globally released.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Yes. I imagine going forward, all Jump manga will be on the Viz app.
In cases like Ayakashi Triangle where it's too lewd, they'll restrict to the website only.
With Yuuna ending, that meant all series will now be globally released.
Oh yeah new contract right? I think that's just WSJ not + or young tho as those are on a on selection basis. Like how Viz picked up Kaiju no 8 a few weeks after manga plus(thank goodness the latter localization sucked) or that crazy detective one viz hasn't picked up(yet at least)

Status
Not open for further replies.