• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Threw me off, cause Sekai Game's hentai arm of the company in "Denpasoft".
Well, glad it's nothing related to that. :p

As for Denpa, saw someone mention that they also included translation notes for Kaiji. That'll definitely be needed for the shogi/food terms in 3-gatsu.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Golden Kamuy 270
Jesus, that was fucked up

Tsurumi is such a great villain. The guy is completely off his rocker, yet aggressively competent and entertaining as hell. He's basically a Jojo villain in a more grounded universe lol

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I Was Reincarnated As The 7th Prince So I Will Perfect My Magic As I Please 1-13

The manga is so damn good when that kid is too OP and ain't even playing around with the enemies but holy fuck.

Oct 27, 2017
Grand Blue 66

After three whole months we finally got to see what happens after the sadistic cliffhanger.

Busujima really is in love with Iori. I don't buy that she wanted to come after him for his "money" and that she wanted him not to have fun. She kissed him twice, thought about smashing him, was looking for him the whole day and her past interactions with him all seemed to hint she has a crush on him. Iori and the rest seem to not believe her though.

I gotta say though, Iori's friends are annoying and I wish they had less scenes. I don't mind them having chapters as some of them were funny but this chapter in particular I didn't care for them.

I don't really mind if that happens if I am honest. She and Iori feel like a married couple and their scenes are really fun. Next chapter sounds like it could be fun.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
www.animenewsnetwork.com

Denpa Licenses Chika Umino's March comes in like a lion Manga

Company hopes to start releasing manga in summer 2022
One small mistake: "Kodansha Manga Awards' Best Shōjo Manga" :P

Also, the list of winners for that year was pretty stacked, huh?

6sojlRB.png

Oct 27, 2017
Mieruko-Chan 33

I never expected this lore to be so interesting when this started coming out.
About time we learned what the heck is going on with the shrine. The spirit seems to have seen her so this should be interesting and we might finally learn what the deal is supposed to be. Hopefully this will give the poor girl a break for once.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Spy X Family 42
Ah, classic Anya shenanigans sure hit the spot. So many good reaction shots in this one, the page with the tests is hilarious.

Reminder that Anya lied about her age so that Lloid would adopt her back in Chapter 1. No wonder she struggles so much with school, she's like a year younger than the other kids.

Oct 25, 2017
Ron Kamonohashi: Deranged Detetive 16

Had two or so weeks of break, only to come back to a chapter and receive yet another break ;/

Am guessing the culprit hypnotizes people.

Oct 25, 2017
Phantom Seer 26

Woot Kenma and his Tengu bros did it. Sad they are at their limits.

Roboco 32

Cutest chapter ever, best friends indeed. More proof that this manga is at its best when Roboco isn't involved.

Last edited:
February 2021
OP
OP
dramazen

dramazen

Oct 25, 2017
February 2021 Recommendation: Shimanami Tasogare (by Yuuki Kamatani)

WvLDkrC.jpg

LGBTQ+ drama | 4 volumes, complete work, licensed in English (title: Our Dreams at Dusk)
Not only is high schooler Tasuku Kaname the new kid in town, he's also terrified that he's been outed as gay. Just as he's contemplating doing the unthinkable, Tasuku meets a mysterious woman who leads him to a group of people dealing with problems not so different from his own. In this realistic, heartfelt depiction of LGBT+ characters from different backgrounds finding their place in the world, a search for inner peace proves to be the most universal experience of all. (source)

From OniBarubary:
The characters are the strength of this work as it's focused on how issues affect people in a lot of ways and as such they have to be strong to move the narrative forward. When the narrative focuses on Kaname's issues or the other characters and how they deal with prejudice or social pressure or everything else that comes with being LGBT it really shines. (source)

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
Spy X Family 42
Ah, classic Anya shenanigans sure hit the spot. So many good reaction shots in this one, the page with the tests is hilarious.

Reminder that Anya lied about her age so that Lloid would adopt her back in Chapter 1. No wonder she struggles so much with school, she's like a year younger than the other kids.

I'm curious about her apparent knack for classical language and what that's meant to imply. Something regarding her family that maybe also involves the origin of her powers?

They don't bring it up really so it's quite easy to forget at times. She is noted to have made some improvement though. I'm sort of surprised we never came back around to that discovery Loid made that of things were framed around Bondman she was able to understand the math problems. I thought that might lead to him finding an approach that actually had some success and further improvement.

I still think we could do with more Yor focused chapters. I thought I read some thing about the author being worried focusing on her job as an assassin could make her unsympathetic or something like that, but I do wish we'd get more from her.

Oct 25, 2017
Ayakashi Triangle

Ninokuru x Matsuri chapters continue to be the best. How he was worried he'd never be able to talk to Ninokuru again was cute, and he can call him Soga now. Aw.

Build King 15

A little worried for this, felt like things that should logically happen way later are happening way too soon. The house last chapter and now this new group of Annexes, why so hasty.

Dr. Stone 188

Wait, for reals, seriously?!

Sakamoto Days 14

Shin is such a kid paying assassin like this, love him and the energy and hype he brings and also his mind reading is back.

Am guessing Nagumo will ask them to help the association out.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I Tell C 6

Predictable even more since everybody and their grandma was suspicious about him. Its best written chapter...but the start of the manga should have actually start showing a scene of Aioi being kidnapped and escaping then jumping to present. I would have put this appearance much later than this, especially since on one hand, its like, why and how did he know she would be here at this place?

Nine Dragons' Ball Parade 4

Ugh this suspense, I can't.

Mash 53

Inspired by JJBA lol.

Mash is proud of Finn! Good chapter.

Last edited:

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Build King 15

Lol here i was thinking the evil guy last chapter was a red herring but nope he was it, about time evil group comes in this exam was never really going to finish since they hinted about them.

Pretty good chapter, I like the whole fighting system so far, used both for combat and building. Also pretty interesting that it uses lifespan since it could lead to some interesting situations, Smith even implies that didn't waste any probably because his body is somekind of fortified building itself.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
i tell c 6

You smell that? That's the smell of the axe. I sense a cancellation coming.
I thought that was apparent last week when they fucking disarmed the killer, and then RAN AWAY, leaving him to pick up his weapon again. How did the editor sign off on that.

This might be fastest I've ever seen a surefire axe on the way, right up there with Our Blood Oath

RuffMadman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm really enjoying 9 Dragons and Witch Watch. I'll probably be dropping off Elusive Samurai this week and come back later if anything

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Dr Stone 188
Holy shit

I assume the petribeam will at least save Kohaku, but that was fucking brutal. I honestly didn't think that Inagaki had it in him

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I'm really enjoying 9 Dragons and Witch Watch. I'll probably be dropping off Elusive Samurai this week and come back later if anything
Yeah Dragons is starting rather nicely and there's something fun about witch watch that gives me a good laugh every week. The class being completely nonchalant about the pair of them not being human is a fun and hilarious mixup. I can see a spell that makes everyone look like the teachers references coming from half a mile away

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Witch Watch 5

Cute chapter! Everyone had fun flying (and playing Dragonball) and Moi is accepted by his peers as an ogre.

Spy x Family 42

Macrons didn't work :p Does make me curious on Anya and her powers... Origin story, soon?

Dragon Baseball 4

Really enjoying this! Pretty clear with all the hints this chapter, with why this super player quit. Working at the store and taking care of siblings? Imma go with "something happened go his parents and he has to work to take care of the young kids and has no time to be on a team".

Wandering Samurai 7

I want to like this, but 7 chapters in and I'm not liking how it flows, despite the great art. I'm curious with how it'll rank/sell.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
February 2021 Recommendation: Shimanami Tasogare (by Yuuki Kamatani)

WvLDkrC.jpg

LGBTQ+ drama | 4 volumes, complete work, licensed in English (title: Our Dreams at Dusk)

From OniBarubary:
To add another perspective, here are my thoughts from a bit back:
Cross-posting something I wrote in the comic thread.

I started reading an interesting manga this week. It's called Shimanami Tasogare or Our Dreams at Dusk. Before I move on, I want to talk about the title a bit. It literally translates to Shimanami (a city in Hiroshima prefecture) twilight (or dusk), or "Twilight Shimanami." The title is super clever, though, and I unfortunately have to get into Japanese linguistics to explain why. The way it's written in Japanese is しまなみ(Shimanami) 誰そ彼(Tasogare). The way tasogare is written here is non-standard. The kanji (Chinese characters. Yes, Japanese uses Chinese characters in addition to their own native syllabary writing system) used are for "who" and "that (or him)," though the kanji typically used for the word are 黄昏 which are for "yellow" and "dusk/dark." The latter makes far more sense for a compound that means dusk, yeah? So the etymology of tasogare is that it was originally written with the kanji "who" and "that (or him)" because of a Japanese phrase "Who is that?"(そこにいるのは誰ですか) being asked as it got darker, because you couldn't make out their faces as well. Therefore, the characters used for "who" and "that" became a word for that time of day. Etymology is interesting!

So, why the fuck does that all matter?? The title of the manga is evocative of a beautiful image. Shimanami is in Hiroshima on the coast, nearby the famous Shimanami Kaido series of bridges connecting islands. So, just hearing the words together "Shimanami Tasogare," Shimanami at twilight—it may bring to mind something like this for many in Japan:
30568_m.jpg

The story, though, is about a high school boy being outed. He's finding his identity and grappling with coming to terms that he's gay in a society that doesn't accept that very well. So, while the title accomplishes the task of establishing a setting for would-be readers and pulling them in with beautiful imagery, it's a pun by using the original way of writing the word (that is seriously out of use today) to say, "Who is he?" for a story about growing up and finding one's sense of self.

The author is non-binary and writes in mainstream publications. That is huge! I've never heard of such a thing in Japan, because while the west still has a way to go in terms of gender equality, Japan is like the American 1960s with gender in many ways. Because of the author's background, they're able to fill the story with complex LGBTQ characters that you very rarely see treated so well in manga.

The manga isn't perfect, but I'm only halfway through, and it shows a lot of promise. I sincerely apologize if that was difficult to understand, but I did my best to explain. Thanks for indulging my idiosyncratic love of comics and language!

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Also I'm getting a real nen vibe from Build King introduced power system, must have been the diagram lol

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I have no idea what they're doing in i tell c. It's just... either they intended this character to be somebody else, and the axe fell so fast that they rewrote them into being the endgame baddie so they can close things out, or this was intentional, in which case... it's such a weird choice, that I gotta imagine that if the axe wasn't coming before, it probably is now.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I'm gonna say something bold and brave. I think i tell c is bad.

I haven't liked it since ch 1, honestly. Did nothing to me, and sounds like those on here that did enjoy it's start, are.... not so much now :/ (I'm actually behind 2 chapters cause I got busy and it was low priority...)

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I haven't liked it since ch 1, honestly. Did nothing to me, and sounds like those on here that did enjoy it's start, are.... not so much now :/ (I'm actually behind 2 chapters cause I got busy and it was low priority...)
I dunno if I'd say I liked chapter one. I thought it was fucking weird and was willing to give it a chance. It just feels so amateurish, though. The characters, the events, the cases, the plot... none of the writing feels good to me in any way. I dropped it last week because it wasn't even amusing me.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The biggest issue is that it's not DOING anything. It set up its core premise and then immediately started flailing around. No idea why.

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
The biggest issue is that it's not DOING anything. It set up its core premise and then immediately started flailing around. No idea why.
It's really odd, because one would expect AT LEAST the first 2-3 chapters to have solid pacing or execution in some manner. Did editors just go "Do whatever the fuck you want?" It absolutely starts flailing instantly after the setup, and I've never seen something quite like it.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It's really odd, because one would expect AT LEAST the first 2-3 chapters to have solid pacing or execution in some manner. Did editors just go "Do whatever the fuck you want?" It absolutely starts flailing instantly after the setup, and I've never seen something quite like it.
I am generally suspicious of editors in these kinds of contexts, so I would more expect that whatever plans they had got 86'd and this is them desperately trying to pick up the pieces.

Like, what even is this? You go chapter 1, explain the girl. Chapter 2, explain the boy. Boom, you're rolling, now you start giving them cases aaaaand instead of that we get this weird half-assed version of a serial killer arc. So damn weird.

Maybe it had the same kind of idiosyncratic domestic pushback that Time Paradox Ghost Writer got?

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I would more expect that whatever plans they had got 86'd and this is them desperately trying to pick up the pieces.
This is the only explanation. It's just absolutely illogical what is happening with it. Anyway, let me know if it miraculously recovers in the next few chapters before it dies. I dropped it and have no interest in returning.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This is the only explanation. It's just absolutely illogical what is happening with it. Anyway, let me know if it miraculously recovers in the next few chapters before it dies. I dropped it and have no interest in returning.
Yeah, will do.

It's a shame, I quite like the art. Reminds me a lot of Kemono Jihen. Was looking forwards to another Jump mystery series too.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I also only bothered to check it out because of the potential for a new decent mystery series. Shame it's apparently no good

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the direction i tell c is going is baffling. I was hoping it'd prove itself with decent mysteries, but they didn't even try to have one-off mysteries.

Now I wouldn't be shocked if the next chapter suddenly introduced supernatural elements.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I mean if the original outline for the series was

Mystery 1- establish female lead
Mystery 2- establish male lead
Mystery 3- establish main villain

That doesn't look too unreasonable for a series to do, especially if you have 2-3 chapters per mystery story line you'd expect to finish mystery 3 somewhere between chapters 6-9 which is what will happen here. Deranged Detective which I don't think anyone is questioning started the arc that introduced it's main villains between chapters 9-13 so I tell C isn't so egregiously earlier then that.

Again I'm not placing any bets about ITC surviving long term in Jump, but I feel there's been a lot of confirmation bias here. Like go back to chapter 4 for ITC, Aoi instantly has this "...have I met you before..." reaction to the mysterious novelist, and he has a creepy smile before deflecting and changing the subject. We know the first 3 Jump chapters are usually done in advance of a series serialization started, and chapters 4-6 were probably well into outlining/paneling for any kind of crazy pivot to happen. I think the next 2-3 chapters will be far more telling with how this character is dealt with in terms of how much of this was planned vs a very early panic pivot.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I mean if the original outline for the series was

Mystery 1- establish female lead
Mystery 2- establish male lead
Mystery 3- establish main villain

That doesn't look too unreasonable for a series to do, especially if you have 2-3 chapters per mystery story line you'd expect to finish mystery 3 somewhere between chapters 6-9 which is what will happen here. Deranged Detective which I don't think anyone is questioning started the arc that introduced it's main villains between chapters 9-13 so I tell C isn't so egregiously earlier then that.

Again I'm not placing any bets about ITC surviving long term in Jump, but I feel there's been a lot of confirmation bias here. Like go back to chapter 4 for ITC, Aoi instantly has this "...have I met you before..." reaction to the mysterious novelist, and he has a creepy smile before deflecting and changing the subject. We know the first 3 Jump chapters are usually done in advance of a series serialization started, and chapters 4-6 were probably well into outlining/paneling for any kind of crazy pivot to happen. I think the next 2-3 chapters will be far more telling with how this character is dealt with in terms of how much of this was planned vs a very early panic pivot.
This isn't a mystery, though. That's what makes it so weird and baffling.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
is it a jpn numeral pun or does it refer to some other series that died at chapter 86 or something

Status
Not open for further replies.