Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Bishop

Jun 3, 2018
This is your monthly reminder to read Blue Period. That is all.

(Except it is not!)

I've been on a manwha binge of late (a lot of villainess series, but these aren't those) and there's a couple I thought I'd recommend while I was thinking of them.
- God of Blackfield: Korean dude fighting for the French Foreign Legion in Africa is betrayed by one of his squadmates and killed, only to reincarnate three years later as a Korean teenager who has just tried to commit suicide due to bullying. Que the series trying to be super-serious and action-heavy but failing to stick the landing so badly that I spent almost the entire time reading it laughing out loud. That or screaming at my laptop for him to fuck the Frenchie (you'll understand my pain if you read it).
- Legend of the Northern Blade: After the son and heir of one of the world's best martial arts sects watches his father commit suicide after being betrayed by his brother-disciples, Jin (the son) is forced to live alone in the ruins of the once-great martial arts sect. His only company the guards assigned to ensure he stays there and does not learn martial arts. Fate, however, has other things in mind. This series has honestly been amazing. While the initial premise is nothing new or all that original, the elongated prologue (that lasts the best part of fifteen chapters) really helps build a vast depth to both the characters, world and setting of this story. Even if action and martial arts really arent your jam, I'd recommend giving the series a look-in just for the colourful cast of characters (though you won't really begin to meet a lot of them until around Chapter 21) each with their own unique outlook on the world and perspective of how to live within the rules the world forces upon them.
- Hellper: Only just started reading this one (I'm about 6 Chapters in) but what I've read of it so far has been nothing short of amazing. The art and characters are all sublimely balmy exuding this air of constrained and concentrated madness perfectly. The whole series is available for free officially translated into English on Webtoon.
- White Blood: Female. Vampire. Jesus. In a leather jacket. That's it. That's all you get.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
'Tis time for "Torture", Princess 1-75
Okay this is low key one of the funniest manga I've ever read. Also low-key one of the best food manga I've ever read. Highly recommended.

Angelo

Aug 24, 2018
'Tis time for "Torture", Princess 1-75
Okay this is low key one of the funniest manga I've ever read. Also low-key one of the best food manga I've ever read. Highly recommended.

Ooooh i love this one!! I like how the concept is so simple yet the author can make it engaging to read (i especially love demon lord's character). And to think i got introduced to this manga because of Makoto Yukimura's (Vinland Saga) recommendation on Twitter.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
the demon lord is the best. I love how aggressively wholesome the whole thing is. I wish you could zoom out a little on the mangaplus website so I could get some better screencaps in, though

Oct 25, 2017
the monthly pickup post. tokyopop continues to be our new savior for BL, good series
db119a54cfe48769a5c5b7f513750f70c2bc7f8a.jpg

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
So do to some personal stuff I took a break from my every Jump manga marathon review, but we're back

Bozebeats (14 chapters)

There is something ironic about reviving this review series with another canceled exorcist manga. This series had two things going for it, some incredible artwork especially the color pages, and the exorcism mini gun. Another unique element of Bozebeats is the main character was raised in the wild by a wolf so not only do we get the standard fish out of water learning about a secret world, that same character is learning how to incorporate themselves into society.

The action scenes were good and the story despite it's short run had some pretty strong emotional moments. Bozebeats was one of the more enjoyable canceled Jump series even if the exorcist minigun is still hilariously dumb.

Oct 25, 2017
So do to some personal stuff I took a break from my every Jump manga marathon review, but we're back

Bozebeats (14 chapters)

There is something ironic about reviving this review series with another canceled exorcist manga. This series had two things going for it, some incredible artwork especially the color pages, and the exorcism mini gun. Another unique element of Bozebeats is the main character was raised in the wild by a wolf so not only do we get the standard fish out of water learning about a secret world, that same character is learning how to incorporate themselves into society.

The action scenes were good and the story despite it's short run had some pretty strong emotional moments. Bozebeats was one of the more enjoyable canceled Jump series even if the exorcist minigun is still hilariously dumb.
I loved bozebeats :(

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Jigokuraku 1-36
You came to the wrong neighborhood !

I'm enjoying this quite a bit. Sorta more shouneny than I expected at first, given that the initial chapter is all about decapitating someone. It's a decent adventure romp that while, so far, won't blow anyone with its characterization so far, avoids any offensive missteps in that field while moving the plot briskly forward. So briskly in fact that I'm surprised the series is still on-going cause it sure as hell parts with what seems like significant secrets pretty nonchalantly. I suppose there just will be more to it all than can be sighted from here. And it already did morph a bit since the early chapters had plenty of battle royale stuff that now seems mostly retired and especially, this eerily creepy atmosphere achieved by exploring the unknowns of the island and the unhinged designs of the many monsters that inhabit it. Which too seems like it will not play as much of a role.

The art is a highlight for me. Early on I thought this was bi-weekly or something and while by now I can certainly see the shortcuts taken and some rougher chapters, I still think this is pretty impressive work on a weekly schedule. It helps that most of the chara and monster designs are very much up my alley and so is the general artstyle, which I don't know what to describe as other than "pencil", "sketchy", "kinda like Blade of Immortal".

Overall quite a favorable impression. A few fears for the future but I'm really glad I gave this a shot, been a while since I found something that captivated me to this extent.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Jigokuraku 1-36

You came to the wrong neighborhood !

I'm enjoying this quite a bit. Sorta more shouneny than I expected at first, given that the initial chapter is all about decapitating someone. It's a decent adventure romp that while, so far, won't blow anyone with its characterization so far, avoids any offensive missteps in that field while moving the plot briskly forward. So briskly in fact that I'm surprised the series is still on-going cause it sure as hell parts with what seems like significant secrets pretty nonchalantly. I suppose there just will be more to it all than can be sighted from here. And it already did morph a bit since the early chapters had plenty of battle royale stuff that now seems mostly retired and especially, this eerily creepy atmosphere achieved by exploring the unknowns of the island and the unhinged designs of the many monsters that inhabit it. Which too seems like it will not play as much of a role.

The art is a highlight for me. Early on I thought this was bi-weekly or something and while by now I can certainly see the shortcuts taken and some rougher chapters, I still think this is pretty impressive work on a weekly schedule. It helps that most of the chara and monster designs are very much up my alley and so is the general artstyle, which I don't know what to describe as other than "pencil", "sketchy", "kinda like Blade of Immortal".

Overall quite a favorable impression. A few fears for the future but I'm really glad I gave this a shot, been a while since I found something that captivated me to this extent.
He misses weeks every so often. The perks of being in Jump+.

I hope he goes to a magazine like Young Animal if he plans to do another series (especially since he was able to get an interview with Miura somehow).

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
My Broken Mariko - END

Yeah man, this one is designed specifically to mess you up from chapter to chapter. Every chapter ends with another gut punch. Even the "resolution" at the end hits hard. The penciling style is more to my liking too, compared to a lot of other manga.

The extra one-shot at the end was neat too. Honestly it felt more like a western indie comic (so did the main book to be honest), well, somewhere between that and a Cowboy Bebop episode actually.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Spy X Family taking weeks off when its already bi-weekly is killing me

Oh yeah, and there's no Jujutsu Kaisen this week either. Ughhhh

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
That feel when both Hell's paradise and Spy Family are on special illustration weeks

(good that authors get breaks though)

Golden Kamuy 259

So once Boutarou finds the treasure at the end of the series he wants to establish himself as pirate king. It checks out.

Seems that Asirpa and Sugimoto may not be split up here after all? Koito in trouble.

Oct 25, 2017
Phantom Seer 12

A bit conflicted here, while it is pretty cool to have Aibetsu already do something against an enemy it feels just a bit too soon, but with a color page, I can't imagine this is ending in the next bbatch...so perhaps, this was always planned. If so then good on getting a femchar to be useful this soon.

Ayakashi Triangle 21

so much gender swapping in jump this week, lol. Best boy is back.
Em4NwZ8XIAIPlVn

Agravity Boys 44
Em4PFK0W4AELyXt

Beautiful page.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Magu-chan 20

Oh Ruru, such a dope. Fun chapter overall.

Build King 1

Yep, that's definitely Shimabukuro. Crazy beasts, weird islands, crazy power scaling, feels like Toriko but with carpentry.
It seems interesting so far. We shall see where it goes from here.

Last edited:

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
It's funny that now Agravity Boys has as many chapters as Samurai 8, Agravity Boys is somehow more successful than Kishimoto's attempted comeback, how did we get here?

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny that now Agravity Boys has as many chapters as Samurai 8, Agravity Boys is somehow more successful than Kishimoto's attempted comeback, how did we get here?

Agravity Boys basically has the devil's luck. It started at the beginning of 2020, and while it looked like it would die out next to Zipman, various endings started happening.
Demon Slayer Kimetsu no Yaiba ended (amidst record breaking sales), Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs ended, Promised Neverland ended, even Haikyuu ended. As for other freshman series, they were doing worse than Agravity Boys. Guardian of the Witch, Bone Collection, Time Paradox Ghostwriter (which already attracted controversy for its premise), all died out while unfunny space manga lived on. Then Act-Age got cancelled due to the writer being a gross pervert.
All these endings is likely why we're not seeing as much of a revolving door at Jump that we're used to.

Agravity Boys is likely next on the chopping block, but there's always Moriking. Right now, Jump probably just wants some stability.

Oh yeah, and We Never Learn is likely ending in 4 chapters. Unless there's a hidden harem route or something.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Dolphin showed how truly terrifying Chako's powers are in a light hearted chapter. MYF was good stuff, not to mention the ever fun Maguchan
Build King 1

Renga has good character design.

Also I love the line
Em4dXmLW4AAU_Cs

Sounds like something that would be in a romance story though, lol.
Yeah it's off to a fun start, much like Toriko it's, let's setup up a premise for a radically different world basis(Buildings instead of food), but in this one the twist is our protagonist is someone in direct opposition to the world standards. Line works in a comradeship way too tho

Supaidaman

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Personally, from all the comedy stuff that they decided to try, Agravity Boys is one of my favorites in the current lineup. So I'm happy that it keeps on going

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Build King 1
So Toriko but with buildings? Fuck it, I'm down, Shimabukuro can freaking draw.

Magu-chan 20
Bahahahahahahaha, swole Napuutaku had me rolling. I love this series so much.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Undead Unluck 40
Training arc, flashback, and new adventure all rolled into one! Wonder what the mechanics of Soul Caliber/rules of her being in this world are.

Yozakura Family 59
Usually prefer the comedy side of the series, but last couple serious arcs been a step up for me. Author does a pretty good job bouncing between one off comedy chapters and building out overarching mysteries. Nice to see a returning character here too.

Phantom Seer 12
Didn't expect these plots to converge this quickly. For the best to get Aibetsu a more active role though.

GeeseHoward

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Seems extremely backwards for jump to host shimabukuro after outing another pedophile this very year, must be good being friends with Oda.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Phantom Seer has "we're getting canned, time to wrap things up" written all over it now. And if not by intention, then it really should anyway. Cant believe how rushed and sloppy this shit is now.

Oct 25, 2017
Phantom Seer has "we're getting canned, time to wrap things up" written all over it now. And if not by intention, then it really should anyway. Cant believe how rushed and sloppy this shit is now.

What's weird is that it got a color page this week, which is usually reserved for series that are going well.
Maybe they're "wrapping things up" to take things in a new direction? Getting rid of the unlikable protagonist perhaps.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
What's weird is that it got a color page this week, which is usually reserved for series that are going well.
Maybe they're "wrapping things up" to take things in a new direction? Getting rid of the unlikable protagonist perhaps.
Yeah this feels more like they are ending a prologue than necessarily the series. This chunk works as a self contained arc you can use to set off the series in a different direction if they move quickly

Oct 25, 2017
It's probably for the best for Phantom Seer to head into a new direction. Way too many exorcist series in the magazine, you gotta stand out somehow.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Seems extremely backwards for jump to host shimabukuro after outing another pedophile this very year, must be good being friends with Oda.
Just bad timing with the Matsuki thing.

The nepotism came into play with Toriko, but now it's just because it's approaching 20 years and he hasn't been arrested for anything since.

I'm against him being back, especially after learning more about the case, but after they let it slide with Toriko, can't really expect otherwise at this point.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Build King 1

Some wild and insane concepts lol.

Gonna read it because of minecraft and Dragon Quest Builders similarities. Will give it a couple of chapters.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I have no idea what Phantom Seer could even do to differentiate itself at this point.

Even at the most basic level, the premise alone practically pidgeonholes itself into being dollar store JJK.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Can't think of the last time a young series chapter started with a color page after the first 2-3 chapters, and then by the end of that same chapter I thought "this is probably already canceled", but Phantom Seer made it happen.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't worry too much over Phantom Seer getting cancelled when you have Moriking, Agravity, and My Blood Oath on the chopping block.

But I'm not gonna lie though the artist for Phantom Seer is carrying it real hard.

Oct 25, 2017
Moriking feels like it will end soon anyway since we're at the training up to the final boss.

Our Blood Oath I guess could get the early ending treatment since it Phantom seer got that color page.

No need to cancel AgraBoys, there's nothing else in its genre in the magazine.

--

JUMP still needs to give us our baseball and soccer series, we're all dying for sports!

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I mean considering what they just did with Moriking I wouldn't say it's endgame yet when not only do we not know the scale of the current tourney, but we could get a battle for insect lord of the Galaxy twist too... also I like it. Phantom Seer has established some groups but they haven't really locked down the world yet. With how strong the art is and ending this prologue they could literally take it any direction they want even the this is what you thought was normal route. Who knows. Does need to differentiate some more of course
Build King 1

Some wild and insane concepts lol.

Gonna read it because of minecraft and Dragon Quest Builders similarities. Will give it a couple of chapters.
Yup dude does some fun stuff with his worlds, should be a fun ride. Also appreciate the goofy strongman for a change.

Status
Not open for further replies.