• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
The Seven Deadly Sins

Well that was quite the BS shounen powerup there haha. King whomped his ass so badly he didn't even need to kill him because he could just beat him up again if he had to.

Wonder if he's going to start going by his actual name now that he's the full power Fairy King.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of glad I dropped Soma back when the 'evil cooks/academy takeover' stuff happened.

Boy, I dropped Soma in 2012 in chapter 30 and I'm glad that I did that soon. haha

Ao no Flag/Blue Flag 1-25
Dmqg4QaU4AA4Irw.jpg

I'm legitimatly pissed at myself that I waited so long to start this, as this is basically what I am looking for! A romance story where the girl (Kuze) enlists the unpopular kid( Ichinose) to help her get with the most popular kid in the class (Mita) who is a childhood friend of Ichinose- but both of them don't realize that Mita is actually gay and in love with Ichinose! The main theme here is emotion and growing up- these kids are all about to graduate high school and go out into the real world, and Ichinose has a lot of issues with the nature of his relationship with Mita, who he can't understand why he still hangs around with him, and him developing feelings of his own for Kuze.
As this is a feelings/romance series, its up to the art/facial expressions to sell a lot of it, and I think for the most part it does it's job. Ichinose,in particular, gets a lot of good facial work.
I'm also happy for Kaito to get some sucess. I liked Cross Manage (i'm in the minority), and Buddy Strike was basically a stillbirth in Jump. He's also taking advantage of the digital format of Jump+ allows for varied chapter lengths, and for chapters that consist of almost entirely art (and only a few word bubbles the entire chapter- and it's not an action scene)

For sure. There's many cool titles on Shonen Jump+. It's a interesting web mag.

And I'm also happy for Kaito after Cross Manage and Buddy Strike. Aoi no Flag is a great romance and it's themes are really good but you saw nothing, it gets even better in future chapters with the best character on the series to me being the focus.

If I were to ask you to put what you think are the best for the following genres (see my list below), what would you put? No need to order, and put as many or as few as you'd like. If you feel I missed a genre, feel free to add it. Here's mine:

Action or Shounen Battle
Hunter x Hunter, Yu Yu Hakusho, One Piece, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Fullmetal Alchemist, BLAME!, Hoshi no Samidare

Comedy
Cromartie High School, Detroit Metal City, Hinamatsuri, GTO, Makai no Ossan, One Punch Man, Ito Junji's Cat Diary

Drama/Suspense
Kindaichi Case Files, Homonculus, Rose of Versailles, Sanctuary, MW, The Heart of Thomas

Fantasy
Berserk, Dungeon Meshi, Girl from the Other Side, Hakumei to Mikochi

Historical Fiction/Non-fiction or Biography
Showa: A History of Japan, Vagabond, Vinland Saga, A Drifting Life, Aoi Horus no Hitomi, Fushigi no Kuni no Bird-san, Ore to Akuma no Blues

Horror
Tomie, Uzumaki, Fraction, The Drifting Classroom, Hibito no Koiwazurai, Michi no Nai Machi

Romance
Nana, Girl Friends, Watashitachi no Shiawasena Jikan, Chikan Otoko

Scifi
Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin, Eden: It's an Endless World!, Parasyte, Planetes, Pluto, Battle Angel Alita, Bokurano, Terra e...

Slice of Life
Yotuba&, My Brother's Husband, Solanin, Otoyomegatari, Harukana Machi e, Sunny, Wandering Son

Sports

Slam Dunk, REAL, Eyeshield 21

I wouldn't put Wandering Son as slice of life. It's more of an drama tbh

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
The Seven Deadly Sins

Goddamn King got a Bleach-tier out of nowhere power up. He absolutely wrecked Mael once he turned into fairy Mamoru Chiba.

Last edited:

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Flag 32
This chapter was.. everything? I legit had to read it over multiple sessions because of how intense it was

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Alright, is there anyone here who reads Battle Angel Alita: Mars Chronicles?

I'm someone who really loved the original run and though that Last Order was an all-around step down except for absolutely sick ass action. I really want to hear how Mars Chronicle has shaped up.

P.S. Is there a convincing reason there why old panzer kunst comrades would even present a challenge to her after ZOTT tournament? Did she dowgrade her cyborg body?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Eden's Zero 11

I have to admit thus far I've had a blast with Eden's Zero. The action has been really strong and the concept of an antagonist that eats time and creates coexisting alternate dimensions could lead to some really cool plot lines. It's Hiro so I'm hesitant but I have more faith in this then I had in Fairy Tale at the same point.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking for any manga that has a real romance between 2 characters. No ecchi, no naval gazing for 50 chapters. Just a romance manga that has the characters fall in love and it still continues throughout their relationship and perhaps even beyond.

Anyone got any recommendations?

Black Bishop

Jun 3, 2018
I'm looking for any manga that has a real romance between 2 characters. No ecchi, no naval gazing for 50 chapters. Just a romance manga that has the characters fall in love and it still continues throughout their relationship and perhaps even beyond.

I can only think of two series off the top of my head - Love Is Hard For An Otaku, and Horimiya - and they're both quite well known so I'm assuming there's a good chance you might of already read them.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

That's hard because a lot of series are more about the characters developing and/or realizing their feelings over the course of the series.

Ore Monogatari/My Love Story comes to mind, but you've probably already read it. Taishou Otome Otogibanashi is really good as well.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I can only think of two series off the top of my head - Love Is Hard For An Otaku, and Horimiya - and they're both quite well known so I'm assuming there's a good chance you might of already read them.

That's hard because a lot of series are more about the characters developing and/or realizing their feelings over the course of the series.

Ore Monogatari/My Love Story comes to mind, but you've probably already read it. Taishou Otome Otogibanashi is really good as well.
I'm not an avid manga reader so these are all new to me! Thank you both.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I didn't expect Ao no Flag to be so good.
Really like when the art changes from goofy to serious.

Oct 25, 2017
its too bad Ao no Flag was trapped in jump+ and has failed to grow its presence in the printed volume space.

Someday KAITO will get the mainstream acclaim KAITO rightfully deserves.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun is something I'd add

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
its too bad Ao no Flag was trapped in jump+ and has failed to grow its presence in the printed volume space.

Someday KAITO will get the mainstream acclaim KAITO rightfully deserves.
Its a shame, because I got my brother reading it, and he wanted to know if there was any chance it would get licensed as he knew someone who would like it and wanted to buy it for them. I'm pretty sure Viz has a monopoly on anything that runs in Jump, and they really don't make physical versions of potentially long ongoing series unless they think they are sure-fire bets. Like, remember that Nisekoi was digitial only until enough people complained and they went with the physical books!
It's a shame that Cross Manage was a failure and Buddy Strike was a still-birth: unless Blue Flag gets an anime adaptation that gets huge, the chance of it getting licensed in the states is non-existent.

Oct 25, 2017
Its a shame, because I got my brother reading it, and he wanted to know if there was any chance it would get licensed as he knew someone who would like it and wanted to buy it for them. I'm pretty sure Viz has a monopoly on anything that runs in Jump, and they really don't make physical versions of potentially long ongoing series unless they think they are sure-fire bets. Like, remember that Nisekoi was digitial only until enough people complained and they went with the physical books!
It's a shame that Cross Manage was a failure and Buddy Strike was a still-birth: unless Blue Flag gets an anime adaptation that gets huge, the chance of it getting licensed in the states is non-existent.

seven seas has JUMPs Yuuna Yuuragi though.

viz does do the rare jump+ manga release (Astra in Space, elDLIVE, Jigokuraku, Black Torch, Fire Punch) so I dont think its chances are non-existent.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
It's hard to imagine those mediado realease having much care put into them since the volumes cost half to a quarter of most other realeses. That said I read the first chapter of magnifique grand scene as it was good enough to follow what was going on at least. Most of their series have the first chapter free so you can check before buying.

Oct 27, 2017
MHA:
While I'm enjoying the series, something about the characters just doesn't strike me as...I'm not how to describe it, but it's hard to distinguish and remember them at times. They each have their own quirks and personalities, but I feel like the mangaka is almost overextending himself with introducing so many. Not to mention with how fluid their teams are, and them pairing with different people, it makes it hard to establish their relationships. I try not to compare the two, but I can't help, but think of early Naruto during the Chunnin Exams. Yeah it had way fewer characters, but they felt more distinct and easier to distinguish

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
MHA:
While I'm enjoying the series, something about the characters just doesn't strike me as...I'm not how to describe it, but it's hard to distinguish and remember them at times. They each have their own quirks and personalities, but I feel like the mangaka is almost overextending himself with introducing so many. Not to mention with how fluid their teams are, and them pairing with different people, it makes it hard to establish their relationships. I try not to compare the two, but I can't help, but think of early Naruto during the Chunnin Exams. Yeah it had way fewer characters, but they felt more distinct and easier to distinguish
Every character in this arc was introduced over 100 caps ago tho

Oct 26, 2017
Haikyuu
Why cant both teams win ;__:

But seriously it shaping up that Nekoma has a huge chance of taking out Karusano which wouldn't necessarily be bad except I want to see Karusano duke it out w/ Bokuto's team.

Shokugeki

I didn't even read the chapter, I just skipped to see if the Soma and co got $27000 needed to advance the story. I really should drop this series if I don't care any more, but I'm a sucker for food based media

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
Isayama likes The Breakfast Club?

He seems to like a lot of western media, the SNK series in general has a WWII feel to it, and his school comedy spinoffs tend to be more like American school archetypes rather than Japanese ones.

Rich girl Historia fits so damn well it's ridiculous, I really hope he continues that spinoff so we get more of her and Eren after that hilarious last chapter. XD

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
MHA:

I would actually say that a decent number of them are memorable enough in terms of their design and quirks, but at the same time so many of them are underdeveloped, as there are clearly characters the author prioritizes in that regard. As for Class B, I still find to be redundant.

As for Naruto, well, that did have the edge in the sense that they are all put into squads, like Ino-Shika-Cho. That said, that series didn't make the most out of its relationships among Naruto's peers. For MHA, I can see some obvious pairings friendship-wise, like Kirishima and Bakugo, or Mineta and Kaminari. But yea, it definitely could stand to be explored a lot more in-depth.

Oct 27, 2017
I would actually say that a decent number of them are memorable enough in terms of their design and quirks, but at the same time so many of them are underdeveloped, as there are clearly characters the author prioritizes in that regard. As for Class B, I still find to be redundant.

As for Naruto, well, that did have the edge in the sense that they are all put into squads, like Ino-Shika-Cho. That said, that series didn't make the most out of its relationships among Naruto's peers. For MHA, I can see some obvious pairings friendship-wise, like Kirishima and Bakugo, or Mineta and Kaminari. But yea, it definitely could stand to be explored a lot more in-depth.

Yeah, it's like I said I think having them on fixed teams, at least to start with, immensely helped you learn their personalities and relationships. It's kind of like how chunking data to remember it better works (ie. why we remember phone numbers as 3-3-4 digit chunks). In MHA they switch teams so often it makes that difficult.

And Kishi definitely faltered with all the teams established early on. The only ones who really got any reasonable amount of development post time skip, who weren't on Team 7, were Gaara and Shikamaru.

Last edited:

Deleted member 35204

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
I think i can remember the powers of everyone of Deku's class going for exclusion but after that they really are hard to remember/underwhelming

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's like I said I think having them on fixed teams, at least to start with, immensely helped you learn their personalities and relationships. It's kind of like how chunking data to remember it better works (ie. why we remember phone numbers are 3-3-4 digit chunks). In MHA they switch teams so often it makes that difficult.

Yea I see your point.

And Kishi definitely faltered with all the teams established early on. The only ones who really got any reasonable amount of development post time skip, who weren't on Team 7, were Gaara and Shikamaru.

I still can't believe Neji became a Jonin, and yet nothing was done with that.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't say with new character introductions. I just feel like there are too many characters being followed period. But it could just be a me problem
Each fight only follows 8 to 9 characters, I don't see how that is too much
In MHA they switch teams so often it makes that difficult.
I never had this problem, maybe because I read more than 1 time, but I actually prefer that they switch teams, it feels more organic and makes things less stale. Like my only problem with the teams is that Ochako is in the same team with Deku that happens way too much
Most of these characters have never been properly introduced which makes it especially difficult since everyone in class 1a acts like we should know these characters since they do.
I don't understand the last part, you mean the manga or the characters?
Anyway these characters are being properly introduced now, and the ones that were already introduced get expanded upon like Ibara or Kosei

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
My Hero Academia 198

Tokoyaki and Kuroior are both very Gothic-like because they always embody with "black" stuff, lol.

And Asui is too pure for this world.

Y3sIeAy.jpg

---------------------------

Someone translated this interesting one-shot(?) manga about a high school girl whose was having a "sixth sense" that keep seeing some grotesque ghosts and hilarity ensures. It looks like something out of a box of Junjo Ito's style fuse with humor.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
One Piece 917

Oh boy, here comes Speed's fanarts in the underway. Hold on to your butt.
And Law is about to get involve but rather stall them in case they don't want to get collusion with Luffy's crew.

Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
I finally finished Bleach today, which means Im all caught up for my Jump Force Challenge (Which is a challenge I'll post on ERA today or tommorow!)
I also read the first five chapters of Fist of the North Star because Im expecting it to be the next series in Jump Force. Holy shit is it the goriest Shonen I've ever read lol

Li Kao

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, I have asked the same question many months ago but are there debuting langa that make the buzz or are showing potential ? I have no reliable manga news source and always end up earing about good books when they are at 100+ issues :S

The latest I have heard of were Eden's Zero and Orient, for reference (I mean freshness wise, no idea about their quality).

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, I have asked the same question many months ago but are there debuting langa that make the buzz or are showing potential ? I have no reliable manga news source and always end up earing about good books when they are at 100+ issues :S

The latest I have heard of were Eden's Zero and Orient, for reference (I mean freshness wise, no idea about their quality).
Jujutsu Kaisen is the new king of shonen.

Status
Not open for further replies.