• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you disappointed in removal of these qol features?

• Yes

Votes: 727 79.5%
  • No

Votes: 188 20.5%

• Total voters

Personablue

Feb 10, 2019

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/CentroLeaks/status/1554917563263500291

Looks like many Qol features are gone
1. Pokemon learning new moves outside battle (thus in turn not interrupting gameplay) is gone, you are again greeted with a screen after battle that
Pikachu wants to learn thunderbolt
Delete a move ?
Are you sure?

2. Watching the pokemon getting experience in the background is gone, back to slow ass experience screen

3. You cannot select pokemon nor throw pokeball before engaging in a battle, you are back to touching the pokemon to trigger the battle animation and the first pokemon will automatically come out

4. Pokemon moves again not making physical contact, its back to Pokemon Sword shield tier of move animation, and its back to the slow ass battle speed, before attacking you are again greeted with 100s of text like
It's hailing!
XXX is buffeted by the hail!
The opposing YYY is buffeted by the hail!
The hail continues to fall.

Last edited:

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
lmao Game Freak

Can't even be surprised, they're just incapable of getting something right and keeping it that way

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
It's disappointing, but I do feel like those features might make their return in the next mainline series. I can only assume that Arceus and S/V were being developed at the same time, so maybe the main team wasn't in constant contact with the Arceus team.

TheStebe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
London
Who knows i mean perhaps they will keep these as seperate games with 2 different types of play style for future

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Goes beyond disappointing for me. Loved the flow of Arceus. If the new games feel too sloe and clunky again, I might just not bother.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
i would assume the games were devloped around the same time so it makes sense that things that are diff since they didnt know how well recevied they would be. if there missing form the next main game then i can see being upset about it

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The new moves after battle is a good thing IMO as long as you can still freely change moves in a menu. Arceus's system made it hard to know if your pokemon had new moves they could learn which meant that I only ended up actually changing any of my Pokemon's moves maybe twice throughout the whole game.

The animation thing was expected since obviously you have to pick 2 of 3 at best (or in Arceus's case just 1 of 3), a large amount of Pokemon, a large amount of moves, and bespoke animations.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
This may be a hot take but I think the only thing I'd actually would care to have from these things is the catching mechanics and the way you learn moves. Normally I don't really bat for GF or anything but this is the least of my worries of these games.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
The games have been in development for years, I never believed for a second that one would get features from the other. That's not how japanese game design works.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
It's disappointing, but I do feel like those features might make their return in the next mainline series. I can only assume that Arceus and S/V were being developed at the same time, so maybe the main team wasn't in constant contact with the Arceus team.
This sums it up pretty well. It's hard to imagine these games weren't being developed in tandem so they really didn't have much time for a debrief about lessons learned and improvements based on PLA.

Disappointing but understandable.

JoanneAlley

alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2022
there's nothing Gamefreak loves more than removing QOL features. Every good thing added to the series over the years was always stripped shortly after. It's insanely annoying.

Jaytra

Sep 29, 2021
Such a shame. The seamless battle system and QOL changes were the number one thing I hoped would translate from Legends Arceus.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Basically the reasons I finally enjoyed playing a Pokémon game again are gone. Yeah, zero interest in getting this now.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Who knows i mean perhaps they will keep these as seperate games with 2 different types of play style for future

You can do that and still have them learn from each other when it comes to obvious QOL improvements

In fact, not to do so is idiotic. (outside of the potential being developed at the same time thing somebody mentioned above - but even then it's not very smart)

plastic love

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 19, 2019
I always think about how HGSS at the Pokémon center, the nurse would not say "We hope to see you again!" but it reappeared in BW.

Several games/gens are being made at the same time, not everything is going to be in the newest game. Not to mention releasing SV so soon after PLA, changing mechanics with less than a year to go sounds like a developer nightmare.

Edit: Game Freak gonna Game Freak.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
only thing i wanted from arceus was the quicker in and out animations and changing moves on the fly

not having any indication of learning moves and gaining xp was actually crap. i kept glossing over and forgetting about it

benbeau

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I guess these and Arceus were in development at the same time, but still disappointing as hell.

Arceus was so breezy in comparison to a standard Pokemon game. The flow inside and outside of battle and how they seamlessly transitioned into one another was a huge reason why I enjoyed it so much.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, the first two don't bother me much but those second two are disappointing.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a product of parallel development and not wanting to commit/not being able to adjust to new features in time.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Counter point: the game's progression doesn't appear to be built around an extremely monotonous grind of catching each Pokémon X times with X criteria or defeating them X times when half of the game's Pokémon flee constantly.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I have stuff left to do in Arceus. I'll...wait for the true sequel to that.

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
Pretty sure we knew this was going to happen as both games were in dev at the relatively same time. I can only hope the next game takes the QOL features and applies them.

I'm also okay with there being two running game types, as I really enjoy the battle system in Arceus with styles, drowsiness instead of sleep, etc. I do not see them necessarily incorporating that into the main series.\

I don't care about physically contacting moves though, as long as animations are fast enough.

Qark-Voss

Apr 22, 2022
Honestly I would have preferred to wait 6/12 months for the implementations of these PLA's QoL features instead of going back to the old formula. This is a huge disappointment...

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That was to be expected. Both of these games were developed concurrently and have drastically different designs. While some minor aspects of Legends would've been welcome, they're not going to take a sledgehammer to the design loop mid-development because of another game that in the grand scheme of things was more of a curio.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
As long as they're not very slow to go through, it doesn't bother me that much.

I sometimes missed new moves and such in Legends because I wasn't paying attention and it didn't interrupt anything.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
That was to be expected. Both of these games were developed concurrently and have drastically different designs. While some minor aspects of Legends would've been welcome, they're not going to take a sledgehammer to the design loop because of another game that in the grand scheme of things was more of a curio.
exactly

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
PLA is my GOTY currently

but I swear I must have played a different version than some people lol.

these are such non issues to me that i barely noticed them

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
These games were in development at the same time. One a spin-off, one mainline. If people didn't like the changes in the spin-off, there wouldn't be enough time to adjust it in the mainline game to revert it back to the usual flow as it currently is. Take the bigger risk with the spin-off, leave the mainline to appease OG fans who may cry afoul over the game not being what they're used to.

With the next game, they can take whatever QOL people liked about both games and maybe establish that. I think they made the right choice, even if it seems like they made the wrong one.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Pokemon moves again not making physical contact, its back to Pokemon Sword shield tier of move animation, and its back to the slow ass battle speed, before attacking you are again greeted with 100s of text like it is hailing etc
Considering we haven't actually had much footage of battles, this is quite a claim

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
As some or who has never really been able to get i to a Pokémon game until Arceus blew me away this year, it's very disappointing news. Arceus had a flow to it and everything seemed to work towards making the whole experience smooth, and it was. I loved it.

I'm excited for the new games now that PLA sorta got me hooked, but admit that removing some great QOL features in your new mainline game is not the way to move forward. I hope the Legends thing becomes a series because it got me into the series and I want more of it.

Jul 1, 2020
For a casual observer like myself the actual game design of Pokémon has basically been frozen in time since the first games came out with Arceus and this new generation bringing some real major changes. It's disappointing to see QoL changes being rolled back but it could be an artifact of simultaneous development with Arceus. I would hope to see these changes return in later generations.

OP
OP
Personablue

Personablue

Feb 10, 2019
These games were in development at the same time. One a spin-off, one mainline. If people didn't like the changes in the spin-off, there wouldn't be enough time to adjust it in the mainline game to revert it back to the usual flow as it currently is. Take the bigger risk with the spin-off, leave the mainline to appease OG fans who may cry afoul over the game not being what they're used to.

With the next game, they can take whatever QOL people liked about both games and maybe establish that. I think they made the right choice, even if it seems like they made the wrong one.
But its not even guaranteed that those changes will be incorporated in gen 10 or we will get legends 2, and whether they are aware of the positive reception of legends arceus changes

Oct 27, 2017
4. Pokemon moves again not making physical contact, its back to Pokemon Sword shield tier of move animation, and its back to the slow ass battle speed, before attacking you are again greeted with 100s of text like it is hailing etc
LOL of course

Yes, because so many people would cry afoul at the QOL changes listed...We just need to accept Gamefreak is a HIGHLY risk averse company and even small changes are seen as a massive risk to them meaning, unlike other devs, changes are incredibly slow

Mad Gamer 64

Nov 6, 2017
Doesn't really bother me. I liked that stuff in Arceus but I have no problem going back to the old style either.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
Counter point: the game's progression doesn't appear to be built around an extremely monotonous grind of catching each Pokémon X times with X criteria or defeating them X times when half of the game's Pokémon flee constantly.
This was my first thought. There are pros and cons.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I really disliked Arceus and honestly didn't have an issue with the way Pokemon games were, for the most part.

The things I disliked about Pokemon games were things like XP share, low difficulty, and overly exhaustive dialogue. I really don't have any issues with how traditional Pokemon games play. I found Arceus really dull, I really fundamentally dislike the battle system and I think the world in that game is really dull, again they also somehow filled it with really tedious dialogue that quickly sucked my interest out of the game.

I'm excited for this, irrespective of the missing, supposed QoL features.

On the last point, it would be nice if the Pokemon did make physical contact with one another, but it's by no means a deal breaker. Hopefully that makes it into the next game if not this one, but it doesn't ruin my enjoyment of it. I don't think it affects my experience of the games in a big way.