Are you disappointed in removal of these qol features?

• Yes

Votes: 727 79.5%
  • No

Votes: 188 20.5%

• Total voters

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Anecdotally I also think that some (not necessarily all) of Arceus' changes weren't in and of themselves objectively great changes if you're wanting to view it from the lens of the all-ages encompassing generational titles. I have both very young and very old family members who can play most generational Pokémon games, while they've struggled coming to grips with the way details are compartmentalized in Legends. I think it works fine for the type of game it is on the whole but it's also a decidedly different experience.

Even I myself kind of prefer the simplicity of just learning a new move on the spot. I'm currently playing Xenoblade 3 and adoring it, genuine GOTY contender for me, but having to subsidize character stats into menus can be a bit much to keep track of. Pokémon's "hey you learned a new move, do you want it y/n" is still oddly comforting in its own simple way.
Pokemon games make you to decide about your new moves because you are going to use that moves! It's an important thing.

In Arceus is *not* an important thing. You don't even need to do battles, it makes sense that it's not important. The "capture everything that you see" incentives that you don't really have "a team", just a constant flux of new Pokemon that you don't care about.

It makes sense because you are not trainer, you are a researcher, Pokemon are not your friends or whatever, they are just subjects of research.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is premature. Nor would I necessarily call the enumerated points QoL.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
- SV has been in development for 3 years. It is a global simultaneous release. By the time PLA released it was already in its final months of development. We don't know yet if they will absorb more of Legends into the main gens core gameplay in the future, there was not been enough time to make major core gameplay changes to SV without it being shoehorned

- Still yet to be seen if Legends will continue as its own series, further negating the need to absorb all of the features

Wait until gen 10 and another possible Legends game, then we can have a better discussion on this.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
But I don't think someone has to prefer Arceus to traditional pokemon games to think the QOL improvements are an objective improvement

They're not. They suit Arceus because its a game where combat not only isnt required, but its actually disencouraged and the worst way to deal with anything. On the mainline experience, the "QoL" ends up being detrimental because the focus on combat actually require you caring about the moves, items, abilities and all that jazz that Arceus cut cause "pokeball goes brrrrrlll". Different philosophies for different games. "oh but how isnt a faster snappier battle system an improvement check mate" i challenge you to produce one, just one person that have said they dont want the battle system to be snappier. the 'features' people dont want from arceus are others.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
Of course they are. Did you forget who made this?

#2 and #4 would have been nice to have. The other 2 probably wouldn't fit with a traditional Pokemon game which I assume this one is.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
Wanting the Arceus catching mechanics and the traditional Pokémon Trainer and Gym battle structure are not mutually exclusive. I don't think anyone here is arguing for a carbon copy of Arceus as a mainline title. A lot of us, including myself, just want them to incorporate the improved catching system into the traditional Trainer / Gym battle structure.

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
It's really disappointing. Arceus had really good and snappy flow in and out of battles. It's going to suck going back to the clunky feel of the pre Arceus games. I don't mind the catching mechanics going back; but going back to "trashmon you're only leveling up to get the Evo in the dex is trying to learn move you don't care about......... Do you want to replace a move.........?" suuuucks.

I bet evolving from the menu is gone too...

DinoBlaster

Feb 18, 2020
They're not. They suit Arceus because its a game where combat not only isnt required, but its actually disencouraged and the worst way to deal with anything. On the mainline experience, the "QoL" ends up being detrimental because the focus on combat actually require you caring about the moves, items, abilities and all that jazz that Arceus cut cause "pokeball goes brrrrrlll". Different philosophies for different games. "oh but how isnt a faster snappier battle system an improvement check mate" i challenge you to produce one, just one person that have said they dont want the battle system to be snappier. the 'features' people dont want from arceus are others.
I really don't understand the underlined point. In Arceus I loved seeing all my mons level up at once, seeing the icons for new stuff, and then diving into the menu to mess with all the new stats/moves/evolutions/etc on my own terms, without an avalanche of text boxes getting in the way. I'd love it even more in a game with an actual focus on combat.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Arceus game design is built around "This is an action game and we don't care about the battle system". Everything is built around that, to make it easy to ignore the combat.

You can complete the game with... Seven, eight trainer battles? You can ignore everything else and you are encouraged to do that.

The game even allows you to capture high level Pokemon very early to break the combat (That level 45 Rapidash) because it's irrelevant. You are not going to progress faster with a broken team, because your team is just useless.

That's why the marketing was always about "This is an action game" and S/V is about "It's an RPG game"

Yes I agree. Maybe my wording was wrong but thats p much what I meant.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I hate the notion that things have to be sluggish and inelegantly inefficient to be authentic to the "traditional" Pokémon experience.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
Slightly disappointed about the text box stuff. Not sure how intrusive it will be. If it's combat related that's fine but I don't need a pop-up every time I pick up a potion. But for the move stuff, I frequently forgot to change moves in Arceus so that helps me (and probably only me)

Pokeballs outside of combat is kind of a bummer.

I did get sick of it in Arceus but that was after hour 80 and shiny hunting. The thought of constantly having to wittle down health and spend ages throwing ultraballs at sleeping, frozen pokemon at 1HP is just exhausting.

I mean, I'm still gonna play it.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
I really don't understand the underlined point. In Arceus I loved seeing all my mons level up at once, seeing the icons for new stuff, and then diving into the menu to mess with all the new stats/moves/evolutions/etc on my own terms, without an avalanche of text boxes.

Thats you. I hated missing up on a new useful move cause the messages went so fast while i was focused on something else and i would only realized i had a better move than ember ten levels later. I never cared for not evolving a pokemon as soon as it could and having to do it on a menu later annoyed me. Thats just me too and you can say thats on me being dumb or whatever. Point is its not objectively better because you prefer it, having your new moves and power explained to you when you get them (which is not often enough for them to be as unbearable as the arceus defenders pretend they are) instead of when you remember to swim through menus to see them isnt worse, just different. and actually is far easier to make an argument that letting players know their new toys when they get them instead of leaving it for them to find out on their own is better.

I hate the notion that things have to be sluggish and inelegantly inefficient to be authentic to the "traditional" Pokémon experience.

the unbearable tedium of having to click three extra text boxes every three or four hours. the horror!

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
i mean we haven't exactly seen how the game actually plays out before saying its sluggish tho.

It feels like people are rushing to a conclusion here.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Of all the changes that were made in Arceus, the thing I appreciated most was the speed of it. Everything was so fast, and the game rarely stopped you to show you more information. That's the sort of thing I'm gonna miss most with these changes.

riq

Feb 21, 2019
In Arceus there's very little trainer battles.

In the main games, it's useful as to learn a strong move during a battle and immediately using it. The rest I can take or leave.

Deleted member 106050

Nov 26, 2021
To be disappointed you have to be expecting something in the first place. Game Freak rarely, if ever, does iteration across its games. At least not for the best features that would be greatly welcome in successive games.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
There's stuff I would like to see in PLA in mainline games to make them faster to pick up and play and more snappy in general, but at the end of the day I don't know why anyone expected anything from PLA to transfer over immediately when it was developed alongside this one with a pretty different gameplay loop to boot.

Michilin

Nov 14, 2017
Hope at least we can change moves at will without having to collect some bullshit item and talk to a dude to remember them

HemoGoblin

Nov 3, 2017
I mean, they are separate teams and sub-series. So this may be the way it is with the next two after SV as well

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
Hope at least we can change moves at will without having to collect some bullshit item and talk to a dude to remember them

This one i would also love to keep despite seeing how it could change the balance on a game where you actually have to fight stuff (as in, being out of PP never being a thing ever again since you could just change moves any time). It encourages building a lot more varied movesets when you dont need to go through the hassle of deleting and remembering stuff all the time.

But i doubt it will. Gamefreak loves their dumb move teacher/eraser/reminder npcs with dumb collectibles

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
PLA and mainline games, even an open world version of mainline games, are two entirely separate beasts that share a universe.

To put it simply, PLA is a Pokemon catching game with incidental battles. Mainline titles are Pokemon battling games where the catching is in service of the battles. A lot of these features are QoL improvements in PLA because they're backgrounding aspects of battle in a game where battling is a secondary concern and easing aspects of capture in a game where capturing is the primary concern.

For a more casual audience, backgrounding many of these elements (exp growth, battle state info, move changes) would make the battling more opaque in a game where battles are the primary concern.

As for the catch mechanics?

It's a mechanic that would be mostly useless. If you don't have PLA's catch rate you're going to catch hardly any Pokemon that way, and you don't really have much incentive to catch more than one of any Pokemon unless you're a competitive player looking for a particular combination of backend stats. It would pretty much go unused most of the time by the majority of players after they've tried it 50 times and it has worked once.

PLA has inflated catch rates because battling is secondary. They want you to be able to catch dozens of the same Pokemon without having to go through the tedium of battling dozens of the same Pokemon.

In mainline titles battling is the point. And while you can occasionally get a lucky toss, the game wants you to battle Pokemon in order to catch them and don't expect you to try and collect 15 Parasects, so the catch rate is significantly lower.

If you don't like that, perhaps you just don't like mainline Pokemon as a game, even if you like Pokemon as a setting.

There are much bigger, much less reasonable issues at hand. Like the kneecapped customization wrt clothing.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I don't mind that it doesn't take all the qol Legends had. The game just needs to be snappy and fast. Battles in SwSh and even more so BDSP were a slog.

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
I just want to be able to throw my pokeballs and run around during battle like arceus. That stuff added so much to the experience for me. Letting me toss the ball to start a battle is better than running into a Pokémon and entering a battle screen. I don't mind catching going back to traditional at all.

Dunban_Fyuria

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah most of those aren't an issue for me, I never had an issue with the more oldschool style and "tedium" so a more traditional pokemon JRPG with an open world is plenty enough for me.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, you get to see the Pokémon's artwork in game now, that's neat.
But yes it's a tad disappointing about for the general speed of the game, doesn't bother me too much but if they want to stay classic like Dragon Quest, we better hope they continue making Legends games.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I get being disappointed, but having played Pokemon games since the first ones, QoL improvements and features not being carried over to the new game is nothing new with this franchise.
That's nonsense. QoL improvements carry over and they always listen

Just because Battle Frontier etc. doesn't come back and create feature bloat doesn't mean they don't carry QoL over. Come on

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Arceus was the most fun Pokemon game in an age so naturally that can't be in the mainline games! Wouldn't want to have too much fun would we? :|

Just like Let's Go! -> Sword/Shield they decide to ignore the REALLY good bits from the experimental game and just carry on doing the same boring slog menu battles because they're too scared to change it. I honestly was expecting some sort of mixture, the best bits of Arceus mixed with mainline play into some sort of awesome hybrid.

Absolutely sucks, next you'll be telling me shinys don't pop on screen in the wild either.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
If they don't bring back Arceus' move pool I'm gonna lose it. That was easily the best thing about it.

Nov 14, 2017
In Arceus there's very little trainer battles.

In the main games, it's useful as to learn a strong move during a battle and immediately using it. The rest I can take or leave.
See, now this I can see being a useful function of the older "forget a move" mechanic, and you could easily meet this in the middle. Arceus style notification when you level up outside of battle so it's not wasting your time (especially if you're spamming Rare Candies), prompt a move deletion in battle so you can use it immediately as described.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Arceus was the most fun Pokemon game in an age so naturally that can't be in the mainline games! Wouldn't want to have too much fun would we? :|

Just like Let's Go! -> Sword/Shield they decide to ignore the REALLY good bits from the experimental game and just carry on doing the same boring slog menu battles because they're too scared to change it. I honestly was expecting some sort of mixture, the best bits of Arceus mixed with mainline play into some sort of awesome hybrid.

Absolutely sucks, next you'll be telling me shinys don't pop on screen in the wild either.
What good bits did they ignore from Let's Go? Since they kept overworld Pokémon due to Let's Go feedback, and candies etc.

lairo

May 28, 2020
Well, there goes any kind of hype I had. Sword was the first Pokemon I couldn't finish entirely because it was so boring, and it's looking like they learned nothing.

megamanofnumbers

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Apr 28, 2022
If this means the mechanics and systems introduced in PLA will be iterated and evolved in a new Legends game and sub-series, GREAT!

If this means there won't be a new Legends game and Game Freak is AGAIN for the UMPTEENTH TIME ignoring real advancements a previous installment in the Pokemon franchise made to faff about in their new entry (COUGHswshCOUGH), then not so great.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I will admit not being able to initiate a battle with my chosen Pokémon with the throw of a ball is lame as fuck. That should be here. And I'll miss shiny hunting actually being fun. Hopefully shiny Pokémon appear as such in the open world at least.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Shiny chaining and real overworld Pokemon. As in what you see out on the field is literally what you'll get when you go into battle.

What you see in the field is what you get in battle in SWSH, aside from Shiny. That's a very weird way of phrasing this.

Shiny chaining doesn't even work the way everyone thought it did, only affected the next spawn, nothing after
Why can't I toggle exp share?
Because they chose not to, but yeah let's ignore all the others and pretend EXP Share is the example rather than the exception

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
The new game looks fun but I could tell the minute I played legends that I was never going to really like the "normal" format again. Legends should be the framework for Pokémon going forward.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's just whatever at this point. Pokemon games deserve to be so much more.