Are you disappointed in removal of these qol features?

• Yes

Votes: 727 79.5%
  • No

Votes: 188 20.5%

• Total voters

mojo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean this happens when for some reason you feel the need to drop 2 games in one year

vmcb

Feb 12, 2020
I truly do not mind having experience growth, new moves, and evolutions interrupting battles. I do like how deliberate and traditional these aspects feel.

However, I would like the battles themselves to speed up a bit (raiding in SWSH was particularly painful - thankfully, this looks to be improved in SV). I'm also hoping this game is a bit more difficult than SWSH. It would be nice if we could toggle exp share on and off but this doesn't seem to be the case.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
The one QoL feature that absolutely should be here is options!

Like how hard is it to let the player choose if they want evolution and move prompts? If they want slow animations + text or fast animations? If they want a button-focused menu or one of the more time consuming traditional ones?

Is this really too much to ask for from such a massive franchise?

Throwing pokeballs out to start encounters is also a bit of a no brainer but whatever -- the biggest improvement PLA made was making not every battle feel like an eternity by speeding everything up, making text concurrent with animations, streamlining all menu navigation and pokemon switching etc.

Bloody disappointing that GF can't keep even the most universally liked improvements. I guess no options is to be expected from the exp share shenanigans.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019

Like how hard is it to let the player choose if they want evolution and move prompts? If they want slow animations + text or fast animations? If they want a button-focused menu or one of the more time consuming traditional ones?

Throwing pokeballs out to start encounters is also a bit of a no brainer but whatever -- the biggest improvement PLA made was making not every battle feel like an eternity by speeding everything up, making text concurrent with animations, streamlining all menu navigation and pokemon switching etc.

Bloody disappointing that GF can't keep even the most universally liked improvements. I guess no options is to be expected from the exp share shenanigans.
This is the same franchise that locked the ability to toggle background music and sound effect volume behind an easily missable item given to you by a random NPC standing off to the side in a town like 3 hours into Sword and Shield. There's always really weird decisions like that that Game Freak makes. The fact that they had their best version of the online in XY/ORAS and made it worse in the following gens was kind of stupid also.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
With the way both games were being developed simultaneously, I didn't think we'd see Arceus stuff in SV.

Gen 10 on the other hand? Pls.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Is it really the first Pokémon always? I hope there is a way to juggle the order of your team with the D-Pad or L&R if so. I liked being able to choose which Pokémon to use for each battle in Arceus thanks to the ball-throwing mechanic.

Anyways, I don't think it was that weird to expect some of Arceus' mechanics to make a comeback. It always felt like an experimental ground, like they could be using it to test the reception of certain mechanics before they actually made the new game.

But it's also not hard to imagine them wanting to play it safe regardless with the mainline... I guess I'll cross fingers.

Can't throw Pokeball all unless in battle?

C'mon man 😑
I really liked throwing Pokéballs to Pokémons that were swimming, flying, etc. to initiate a battle. I wonder how do you attack those Pinecos that hang on trees, then. Maybe you have to press A to shake the tree like the berry ones...

I hope they still have the whole "nearby Pokémon can join the battle" system at the very least.

Last edited:

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
"You cannot select pokemon nor throw pokeball before engaging in a battle, you are back to touching the pokemon to trigger the battle animation and the first pokemon will automatically come out."

How do we know this?

Aug 13, 2019
Counter point: the game's progression doesn't appear to be built around an extremely monotonous grind of catching each Pokémon X times with X criteria or defeating them X times when half of the game's Pokémon flee constantly.
Agreed completely. Those particular "QoL" features can stay in the Legends spin-offs.

TheBeesKnees

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 2, 2022
I'm not upset about some of these Quality of life features being removed because of a few reasons:

1. Pokémon learning new moves outside of gameplay was in my opinion a bad change in legends arceus because it was confusing and it often made me forget that that I had new moves for my Pokémon.

2.the experience screen moves by so fast and considering how all Pokémon probably gain experience on this screen, this probably won't be a big deal if I don't see Pokémon my getting exp in the background. One of the reasons why that change was in legends arceus was because catching was such a main focus while it's not so much in Scarlet and Violet.

3. We don't know if this is how it works yet so nobody can't comment yet.

4. It sucks that Pokémon can't contact each other for several moves, but we get a significantly greater move pool which is awesome. Legends Arceus had a reduced move pool because of all the Pokémon contacting each other and several Pokémon learned the same moves and that was boring. Because there will be so many Pokémon in this game, we will have a bunch of moves. I think this is a good trade off in this case.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
Disappointed? Yes. Dealbreaker? Absolutely not.

I'm just glad progression is deeper than just catching billions of the same pokemon over and over

redbomb6

Sep 22, 2021
Like people have already mentioned, I expect we won't see the improvements made in Arceus until the next gen of Pokémon comes out which I think will be in whatever the next iteration of the Switch will be.

In my timeline, I expect another new remake next year to correspond with the release of new hardware that is cross gen. After that, I would expect a sequel to PLA in 2024 and gen 10(?) to come out in 2025 with all the QOL from what they've learned from PLA. This will be exclusive to whatever the next hardware is called.

Oct 25, 2017
maybe im dramatic but this is enough to make me reconsider getting the game
legends arceus made some huge strides and im just not okay with going backward
I dunno Ill think about it

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I loved arceus but I also missed the old mechanics and the simplicity of it, like I know what I'm getting

Would love if they split the whole thing into a full spinoff series which it looks like they are

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
Not really surprised their missing here, considering that this was most likely developed around the same time as PL:A. I'd be somewhat dissapointed if they don't add it to the Gen X Pokemon games.

gardfish

Oct 25, 2017

I mean I doubt that the options will be there, but to play devil's advocate a bit, we don't really know that there aren't options for evolution and move prompts. Just because we have a screenshot showing the old style doesn't necessarily mean that they've been removed entirely. Again, not holding my breath.

There are also some QOL features from Legends that are indeed confirmed to be in the game anyway that people in this thread think are gone too, so I wouldn't discount the possibility entirely

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
Still waiting for a whole pokemon battle gameplay screen to judge... Hopefully some form of Arceus catching and encounter system occurs in the game or DLC.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I don't know why people think they'll add PLA QOL to the next game. Sure they may have been developed around the same time. However, we've gone through this cycle since like gen V. "Next game, they'll add this back like the PSS from X/Y" or toggleable EXP, or VS Seeker, or whatever. They're just going to do whatever they want with the games. Maybe they'll add one thing or two, or maybe just not bother. And people will either lap it up and defend it, hate it but still buy it or just not buy the game. None of this is surprising. It's a bit disappointing but at this point, I don't expect most of PLA's QOL features to come back. If they prove me wrong, great. If not, it's whatever.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
3. You cannot select pokemon nor throw pokeball before engaging in a battle, you are back to touching the pokemon to trigger the battle animation and the first pokemon will automatically come out

4. Pokemon moves again not making physical contact, its back to Pokemon Sword shield tier of move animation, and its back to the slow ass battle speed, before attacking you are again greeted with 100s of text like it is hailing etc
These two are not apparent from the Tweet you posted. Where did you get confirmation about these?

In any case, I don't think the experience and new moves thing were a "quality of life" thing. It's by design. And I don't think it makes the game as sluggish as people suggest.

Nov 14, 2021
Besides lesser Pokémon variety helping moves be more unique in battle, how are any of the other points related to the QoL changes mentioned in the OP?

To put it frankly, if their focus was on building a meaningful world to engage with then the older gameplay works fine for me. But.... just for your sake rather than mine (because I don't care about this all that much), I'll toss this more thorough response to the OP in here.

1. Pokemon learning new moves outside battle (thus in turn not interrupting gameplay) is gone, you are again greeted with a screen after battle that Pikachu wants to learn thunderbolt, delete a move etc

- Great! I didn't think this mechanic was all that exciting or important, and - similar to others - I often didn't use it. I appreciate the old mechanic for how it immediately prompts the player, how it becomes an immediate choice that they have to make, and how there are consequences to making that choice (learning a strong move comes with great rewards, learning a move that actually underperforms in comparison to what you had beforehand can really injure the strength of your team, etc.). But, I think overall PLA had the issue of not asking players to work through the consequence of their choices.

2. Watching the pokemon getting experience in the background is gone, back to slow ass experience screen

- To begin, I think this is a presentation consideration rather than a gameplay consideration. It doesn't require interaction from the player, it is just a means of conveying information. I can appreciate that it sped up the game a lot in PLA. The old system doesn't bother me, and I appreciate the clarity and visibility that it provided; if anything, the increased visibility allowed for it to become more of a gameplay experience because I was more aware of when my pokemon were leveling up and what the potential consequences were. I think the bigger gameplay challenge for experience in modern Pokemon games surrounds experience share, and I think PLA had the weakest of all experience share systems we have seen in a Pokemon game in part because of how experience acquisition was presented to the player. A QoL improvement that increases speed but doesn't benefit the mechanic might mean that either the improvement or the mechanic are no longer needed.

3. You cannot select pokemon nor throw pokeball before engaging in a battle, you are back to touching the pokemon to trigger the battle animation and the first pokemon will automatically come out

- I think this is a bit of a miss. I suspect that this is going to be addressed in future games; it makes sense to be able to initiate battles by throwing a pokeball, and being able to select which of your team members is going to be the first to show up against a pokemon. I liked the smoothness of this experience overall. But it is hardly a gamebreaker for me.

4. Pokemon moves again not making physical contact, its back to Pokemon Sword shield tier of move animation, and its back to the slow ass battle speed, before attacking you are again greeted with 100s of text like it is hailing etc

- This doesn't concern me much either. Yes, I would love to see more animations brought into the games. Yes, I would like that to support my immersion in the game's world a bit more. Yes, I think Pokemon does overcommunicate with text and could invest into other ways of communicating battle conditions - some of which was done really well in PLA. That said, I think the mechanics of mainline Pokemon are stronger overall compared to PLA, including the consequence of weather conditions or being poisoned or paralysis, and so those conditions or status changes deserve more attentive communication in the mainline games. Am I excited about all of this slowing the game down a bit more? Not necessarily. Was a satisfied with the QoL additions as they impacted the infinitely more simple gameplay in PLA? Absolutely not. Do I think there is a better way that neither of these two games has really brought forward to the public? I certainly do.

I think PLA brought forward some good advancements for Pokemon. There were some nice gameplay and presentations improvements which did benefit the quality of the experience for the player. I also think that the ideas were half-baked and demand some pretty substantial iteration. We were sold a tech demo or proof of concept instead of a game. To that end I will happily play Scarlet and Violet using the older mechanics because, after PLA, I realized that they more aligned with what I was looking for.

Type VII

Oct 31, 2017
It's disappointing, but if it means Arceus will become its own series with those features staying then I won't mind too much.

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Literally wouldn't be suprised if the purpose of side games like Lets Go and Arceus is to test the waters for what people like without rocking the main series boat too much.

Lets Go had visible Pokemon on the map which became much more prominent but the ball throwing mechanics, not battling wild pokemon didn't come over to the main series but looked like they got tweaked for Arceus.

The reception for Arceus was pretty good for all of these things so I would not be suprised if they start coming over to the main series after they can confirm people like it.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
It'd be really nice if they implement being able to switch your main Pokémon on the fly with one button like in Arceus and also throwing the pokéball at a wild one to initiate a battle, that shit was such a simple but fucking amazing revelation when I started Arceus. That and moving arond during combat, fucking loved that! (The combat itself not so much, but that's a different issue)
I don't think throwing a ball to catch a Pokémon in the wild like in Arceus would make much sense here, since the focus isn't catching several of the same Pokémon, so I'm fine with that not being in this, but give me the snappier main Pokémon switch and throwing a pokéball to start a battle please!

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Thats you. I hated missing up on a new useful move cause the messages went so fast while i was focused on something else and i would only realized i had a better move than ember ten levels later. I never cared for not evolving a pokemon as soon as it could and having to do it on a menu later annoyed me. Thats just me too and you can say thats on me being dumb or whatever. Point is its not objectively better because you prefer it, having your new moves and power explained to you when you get them (which is not often enough for them to be as unbearable as the arceus defenders pretend they are) instead of when you remember to swim through menus to see them isnt worse, just different. and actually is far easier to make an argument that letting players know their new toys when they get them instead of leaving it for them to find out on their own is better.

the unbearable tedium of having to click three extra text boxes every three or four hours. the horror!
I'm pretty sure it tells you on level up that a new move is available. I think it's a pretty objective improvement. I am not looking forward to dreading entering Pokemon battles again lol

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
It's kinda fucking mind-boggling that such awesome QOL features that WERE ALREADY IMPLEMENTED IN THE PREVIOUS GAME are not present for Scarlet and Violet.

I honestly have no words, and can't fathom why they wouldn't implement them.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the conclusion drawn in this post might be relevant to you

If you don't like that, perhaps you just don't like mainline Pokemon as a game
so ultimately your response to these sorts of complaints is that i dont actually like pokemon games and it's my fault for thinking that mainline should ever evolve
well
okay

ramenline

Jan 9, 2019
i mean there's a 10 month gap between these games, so i really don't think they were worked on by the same team. Soul Hackers 2 is coming out 9 months after SMT V and they also look different

CQC

Oct 25, 2017
Of course, Game Freak would do ass backwards moves like this.

How did this get decided unless these games were in development prior to the completion of legends or made by different teams?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda fucking mind-boggling that such awesome QOL features that WERE ALREADY IMPLEMENTED IN THE PREVIOUS GAME are not present for Scarlet and Violet.

I honestly have no words, and can't fathom why they wouldn't implement them.
Pokemon Legends Arceus 1/28/2022
Pokemon Scarlet and Violet 11/18/2022

It's not rocket science

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
It'll be slightly missed but not a lot, Arceus was so centered around capture that those changes were a lot more impactful. I will not be going around constantly catching Pokemon in SV (most likely), and therefore don't mind a less seamless experience. It remains to be seen what the true impact will be depending on the whole game's design.

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
Pokemon Legends Arceus 1/28/2022
Pokemon Scarlet and Violet 11/18/2022

It's not rocket science

Yep, as many have already posted/theorized, that's the only possible reason I guess. It's not like they could have possibly implemented those features for both games simultaneously (although they could have been testing the waters with Arceus).

Thanks for the snark too.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
That's kind of a shame. I'm always a big fan of making turn-based games faster and more streamlined. I play a lot of turn-based games and I know they can feel so much better when they are snappy and smart about how they present information to the player.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Do I doom us all saying Pokemon BDSPs friendship system is going to be back in this game and you'll need to load up on herbs once more?

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
so ultimately your response to these sorts of complaints is that i dont actually like
even if you like Pokemon as a setting.
Had to fix a few omissions on your part, but this is now an accurate repition of my statement, yes.

and it's my fault for thinking that mainline should ever evolve
well
okay
You're not saying you're reconsidering buying the game because the mainline series should evolve. You're saying you're reconsidering buying the game because features implemented to facilitate the gameplay of a broadly different game in the same setting were not implemented in this game.

Which indicates to me your interest is in an even better PLA, not a mainline game where many of these design elements could be a detriment to the central focus of the game.

In other words, you want an improved catching-centric game when mainline Pokemon is battle centric.[/QUOTE]

PallasKitten

Jul 11, 2022
I'm not really surprised, this seems to have unfortunately been the case for Pokemon for a very, very long time now.

It's been a reoccurring theme of them adding a new feature or two each gen, then removing them in the next or subsequent generations. I've heard they've apparently said they do this to make each region/gen feel "unique", which in some respects I can understand (stuff like diving in Ruby/Sapphire, or the honey trees in Diamond/Pearl for example), but it also often just feels like an excuse instead of a real answer.

There's plenty of features removed over the years that made little sense to remove. Just to name a few (and I won't bother listing the features that I can understand as being classified as "unique" to each game/region, or are just kinda gimmicky like the ball seals in D/P):

• 2nd gen introduced day/night cycle, breeding, happiness, weather, berries, and being able to re-battle trainers.

• 3rd gen removed the day/night cycle (though time passing was still a feature, which made the visual day/night cycle removal even more confusing).
  • 3rd gen introduced double battles, overworld weather effects and visuals, Pokemon natures, contests and secret bases.

• 4th gen re-added day/night cycle due to all the backlash. Removed... Diving, I guess? Didn't really remove anything major from what I recall.
  • 4th gen introduced the underground, Poketch, being able to run while in buildings, and Pokemon following you on the overworld in HG/SS (kinda gimmicky, but I know many people loved this inclusion, myself included).

• 5th gen removed the underground and secret bases, Poketch, contests (arguably replaced with the musical thing), Pokemon following you outside their ball, and the running shoe toggle/auto-run for some reason. Removed a bunch of other things as well like the Safari Zone, Game Corner, Battle Frontier (kinda), but I'll be here all day trying to remember them all.
  • 5th gen introduced seasons, infinite TM usage, phenomena (the grass shaking, dust clouds, etc.), wild double battles, triple battles, rotation battles, and difficulty options after beating the game.

• 6th gen removed seasons, phenomena, wild double battles, difficulty options, and the Pokemon musical.
  • 6th gen introduced ambush encounters (somewhat replacing phenomena), super training, player customisation, and mega evolutions.

• 7th gen removed in-game national dex, triple and rotation battles, and super training.
  • 7th gen introduced hyper training (replaces super training), PokePelago, shows type effectiveness in battles after having already battled a specific Pokemon species, and Pokerides, which replaced the bike and HM moves like fly.

• 8th gen removed the national dex completely (Pokemon not programmed or patched into the game's files can't be transferred, period), same thing with some moves. PokePelago is also removed (replaced by PokeJobs), mega evolutions, and several other features that I have not listed here (like SOS battles).
  • 8th gen introduced... Dynamax? I honestly can't really think of anything significant it added that isn't going to just be a forgotten gimmick in a gen or two. There's the wild area I guess, but that specifically is something that's going to remain "unique" to that region, and future Pokemon games will (presumably) just get expanded "wild area" like sections.

These are one of the many reasons I haven't played any mainline Pokemon games since the 7th gen now, not going to play 9th gen either, but I do have Arceus in my backlog and I'm looking forward to eventually getting around to it. At least major features and QQL improvements being removed seems to be getting less common, but there's a lot of other issues I've had with the games for quite some time now. Which is a real shame because this series used to be such a central part of my life for so long since childhood, but I just couldn't keep forcing myself to play them when I was having less and less fun with each new game. At least some of the spin-offs have still been enjoyable for me, had a blast with New Pokemon Snap.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sword & Shield also had that feature right (although I think it occurred less frequently)? So I wouldn't rule it out.

SwSh merged Happiness and Affection into Friendship. There was a cap though for how much you could get in combat and you wouldn't get the insane stuff without using the Pokecamp stuff.

BDSP removed that cap so you would get all the buffs with the cap, which made the game really easy for a lot of people.

Legends Arceus has friendship buffs as well, but I believe it's just boosted EXP in that game, you don't get stuff like shaking off status effects and dodging moves that should have hit you.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Number 1 and 2 don't bother me all that much. (As long as you can switch out moves easily like in arceus)

Number 3 is a "wtf were they thinking" one. Throwing out your own pokemon first in Arceus was so cool, there's zero excuse to not make this a mainstay feature of the series.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I really don't understand this fanbase sometimes. It's like they actively want more slog.

i have a similar disbelief trying to think how people are playing their games when new move messages are constant enough to be this annoying instead of something that sporadically happen

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
They're two different games from two different teams developed semi parralell, I didn't expect it to be in these versions. Perhaps in the next one when they can look back on both before starting the next one.

MayorTortimer

May 27, 2018
This is the typical cycle of advancements in Pokemon games haha. They try some new stuff in a game while working on the next game at the same exact time.

I think we can just hope that SV includes its own unique QoL advancements that kinda balance any of the setbacks. For starters, the online play for SV looks very promising - any disappointment I have about the disappearance of some of the nice features in LoA is kinda offset by some of the new shiny features in SV. 🤷‍♂️

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Wasn't Arceus always understood to be a spinoff?

PLA and mainline games, even an open world version of mainline games, are two entirely separate beasts that share a universe.

To put it simply, PLA is a Pokemon catching game with incidental battles. Mainline titles are Pokemon battling games where the catching is in service of the battles. A lot of these features are QoL improvements in PLA because they're backgrounding aspects of battle in a game where battling is a secondary concern and easing aspects of capture in a game where capturing is the primary concern.

For a more casual audience, backgrounding many of these elements (exp growth, battle state info, move changes) would make the battling more opaque in a game where battles are the primary concern.

As for the catch mechanics?

PLA has inflated catch rates because battling is secondary. They want you to be able to catch dozens of the same Pokemon without having to go through the tedium of battling dozens of the same Pokemon.

In mainline titles battling is the point. And while you can occasionally get a lucky toss, the game wants you to battle Pokemon in order to catch them and don't expect you to try and collect 15 Parasects, so the catch rate is significantly lower.

If you don't like that, perhaps you just don't like mainline Pokemon as a game, even if you like Pokemon as a setting.

There are much bigger, much less reasonable issues at hand. Like the kneecapped customization wrt clothing.
This is a good post, many good points that explain why some QoL don't translate between the two games, or why they wouldn't want to.

And while I understand why certain things wouldn't transfer, everything about the general lack of improvement on the mainline titles has me sitting this one out, anyway. This looks like a complete lateral move from SwSh, which was dreadfully boring for me. The only thing that has me curious is the "no gym order" and whether or not that creates less linearity. SwSh was like walking in a straight line.