• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
listen, there has never been a bad Mario kart game. I know some idiots were down on double dash, but none of what they say is true. even the gba game was a good twist on the super Mario kart mode 7 thing. and single cart MP.

every Mario kart game, at the time of its release, was the best racing game released that year. it all culminates with Mario kart 8 and Mario kart 8 deluxe, probably the best game ever made.

are there other game series as consistent as Mario kart?

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Eh... Mario Kart 64 was soundly outclassed by it's rivals at the time. Diddy Kong Racing and Crash Team Racing still hold up amazingly well. Mario Kart 64... doesn't.

I personally aren't too hot on Super Circuit either.

And Mario Kart 8 is really boring on anything below 200cc. Plus the coin item is still really bad. I load up Sonic Racing Transformed every time before Mario Kart 8.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Super Mario series (platformers) are never bad and the amazing ones hit much higher notes than Mario Kart.

BlandrewYT

Nov 27, 2017
Glad you said at the time of its release. Going back to Mario Kart 64 a few weeks back was rough. I'd like to give a nod to Dragon Quest. Even the spinoffs in this series I really enjoyed. Only series that managed to make me actually like a Musou game.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Nah that's the Soulsborne series. There are four that all have a reasonable claim to being the best game of all time, and one mediocre one by a different director.

Not to throw shade on Mario Kart though. Mario Kart and Super Mario flagship platformers are both standards of excellence on how to do a reoccurring series.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Hm... Yeah, I'm trying to think of a series I've played that compares in this regard and coming up short.

That said, while I really loved 64, Double Dash, and Wii back when they all came out, they're very hard for me to return to. I think the handling of MK7 and MK8 has spoiled me and now the past titles feel really bad in comparison.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
The quality has been fairly consistent since DD. For me it's gotten stale though. The items take away the feeling of a race too much. These days a MK game is like going to a theme park. Each track is a ride. Once you've ridden each ride several times, you're done. Gameplay wise I have had more fun with Sonic and for me the best kart racer of the last decade was Modnation, even though I didn't care for the art direction. I'm so ready for Star Fox racer.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, after Mario 64. The SNES and 64 versions aged badly and even at the time I wouldn't call them good.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
No I think that's Dark Souls.

64 was very meh. DD was terrible... 7 & 8 have shown in retrospect how SNES MK wasn't actually that amazing...

It's a decent series, but there are better.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Eeeeh.

I'd definitely give that to Dragon Quest, or another series that occasionally does something new while still releasing fantastic games (DQ has the benefit of having spin-offs that are top-tier quality too).
It's consistently good, and it had some greats like Double-Dash, DS, and Deluxe.
I think that's a perfect way to put it. It's probably the most consistently 'good' series. Not great, just always consistently good.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
There are no bad Mario Kart games, and the series as a whole is one of the most accessible franchises out there

blame space, truly the King of Members

99Luffy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eh... Mario Kart 64 was soundly outclassed by it's rivals at the time. Diddy Kong Racing and Crash Team Racing still hold up amazingly well. Mario Kart 64... doesn't.

And Mario Kart 8 is really boring on anything below 200cc. Plus the coin item is still really bad. I load up Sonic Racing Transformed every time before Mario Kart 8.
People say this. But literally no one has fond memories of playing dkr or ctr in multiplayer mode.

Fumpster

Nov 4, 2017
I'd say mainline Pokemon is pretty up there as well: every gen has its fans, and every gen has its flaws, but every single one of them is a good game.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Wasn't each Virtua Fighter considered a technical/gameplay marvel at the time of release

EDIT: I also doubt that MK was the best racing game each year it came out. F-Zero GX and Outrun 2 were released the same year as Double Dash, for example

Dec 20, 2017
Never really got the Mario Kart 64 hate. Yeah, it doesn't hold up well, but very little from that generation does. I played the hell out of it at the time and it was a go-to party game alongside the AKI wrestling games and Goldeneye.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
lukeeverythingyoujustsaidwaswrong.jpg

People say this. But literally no one has fond memories of playing dkr or ctr in multiolayer mode.

Is this "Crash was never good" happening again? Let's hope the Crash Team Racing remake is just around the corner to prove that wrong just like N.Sane trilogy did.

Diddy Kong Racing deserved a better remake than it's DS One.

As for a consistantly great series. Monster Hunter is another series that's always had consistantly great games. Although admittingly I've only played Tri, 4 and World.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
The quality has been fairly consistent since DD. For me it's gotten stale though. The items take away the feeling of a race too much. These days a MK game is like going to a theme park. Each track is a ride. Once you've ridden each ride several times, you're done. Gameplay wise I have had more fun with Sonic and for me the best kart racer of the last decade was Modnation, even though I didn't care for the art direction. I'm so ready for Star Fox racer.

Well said. The games are well made but I just find them incredibly boring

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017
Mario Kart 64 is the only mediocre game in the series, IMO. the rest are excellent. even SMK

99Luffy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do, but I guess I don't count?
You alone maybe. Diddy kong had a pretty fun single player mode. You got a choice of wcw, mario party, goldeneye, mario kart etc. No one was asking to turn diddy kong racing on.

Mario kart 64 had the superior powerslide mechanic out of all MKs before they noobed everything up.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
I surprisingly agree with this, the bits about Sonic and MK, anyways.

I think 7 and Wii especially contributed most to that running out of steam. 8 is an incredible game though, IMO, but yeah, the mechanics itself leave something to be desired, as classic as they are.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Is this "Crash was never good" happening again? Let's hope the Crash Team Racing remake is just around the corner to prove that wrong just like N.Sane trilogy did.

Diddy Kong Racing deserved a better remake than it's DS One.

As for a consistantly great series. Monster Hunter is another series that's always had consistantly great games. Although admittingly I've only played Tri, 4 and World.

It was the least of my concerns of what I quoted, I mainly had a problem with everything else he said.

MK64 is stellar and DKR I didn't like even when I was a kid. MK64 is arguably the best in the series, maybe right after MK8.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno... I didn't like Super Circuit when it came out, and I don't think it'd fare any better now.

I don't think that racing games translate well to GBA's small, low resolution, 2D screen, unless they have a top-down camera or something. Didn't like the GBA F-Zero games much either.

Oct 25, 2017

Crash Team Racing can't even add the computers when you're doing multiplayer, but you want to say it outclassed Mario Kart 64. Pffft.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Think the only two Mario Kart games I didn't like were Super Circuit and Wii. Everything else has been absolutely phenomenal.

For me, it goes

Mario Kart 8 > Mario Kart 7 > Mario Kart DS > Mario Kart 64 > Mario Kart Double Dash > Super Mario Kart > Mario Kart Super Circuit > Mario Kart Wii

IMO Super Circuit just didn't control super well, and IIRC it came out after Mario Kart 64 came out and updated the 3D effect of the series, so going back to the SNES-style 3D rendering was super jarring and kinda off-putting. Wii had terrible controls on all configurations IMO, and rubber banding and item balance was absolute TRASH -- I still had occasional fun playing in groups, but as someone who had grown up LOVING Mario Kart games, it felt like a victim of Nintendo's Wii-era "family-accessible" design mantra in too many ways for me to appreciate... I tend to be extremely competitive at Mario Kart, and a lot of the Wii game's design decisions felt like the equivalent to Brawl's prat fall but to a much more extreme degree that really soured my feeling of fair, skill-based competition.

Otherwise, great series. My girlfriend and I still hop online together and play Mario Kart 8 Deluxe on my Switch, and I think my combined playtime on the WiiU and Switch versions is well over 200 hours at this point.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Crash Team Racing can't even add the computers when you're doing multiplayer, but you want to say it outclassed Mario Kart 64. Pffft.

You could do 2 player with AI, just like in Mario Kart 64.

Crash Team Racing also has 7 Battle Arenas. Along with Time, Points and Team Battle options. Even item toggle options as well.

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8
You alone maybe. Diddy kong had a pretty fun single player mode. You got a choice of wcw, mario party, goldeneye, mario kart etc. No one was asking to turn diddy kong racing on.

Mario kart 64 had the superior powerslide mechanic out of all MKs before they noobed everything up.
Multi player ctr was great though, problem is that the playstation only had 2 control outputs unless someone bought the boomerang.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
The only games in the series that I liked were Super Mario Kart and Mario Kart 8. Didn't like 64, DD, the GBA game, nor Wii. Never played MKDS since I wasn't interested in the DS for MP games and Mario Kart 7 is fine, but I played it after MK8 and that felt like more of them figuring out some ideas that they'd nail for MK8.

Oct 25, 2017
You could do 2 player with AI, just like in Mario Kart 64.

Crash Team Racing also has 7 Battle Arenas. Along with Time, Points and Team Battle options. Even item toggle options as well.
Not the last time I played in the last 2 years. I played with one friend and it was just us and it was dry.

Sewer level remains dope, but no, 64 is the GOAT racer of that gen.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Not the last time I played in the last 2 years. I played with one friend and it was just us and it was dry.

Sewer level remains dope, but no, 64 is the GOAT racer of that gen.

Go to Arcade -> 2P. Then your option of single race or cup.

Crash also has that really good Adventure Mode with CTR Races, Relic Races and the Boss Battles as well. Plus a much bigger roster of 15 characters (Just about every single major crash character from the whole series, with only Koala Kong and N.Brio absent.) and 18 courses.

I find it harder and harder to justify 64 as the best of that time. CTR outdid it in every single category.

Nov 30, 2017
Mario Kart 64 is favorite and I could still go back to play it no problem. Also, Double Dash isn't terrible, but I wasn't the biggest fan and I'm not saying it was bad either it just wasn't for me.