• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't like 64 or Wii. I enjoyed the rest though (apart from 8 which I haven't played and so can't comment on). DS, Double Dash and Super Circuit would be my top 3.

Yukiko™

Oct 25, 2017
blame space is the most consistently great poster of all time

im having a hard time disagreeing atm

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's also the second highest selling series ever on a per game basis. Only GTA has sold more, and its number is inflated by cheap mobile sales.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
I'm absolutely baffled by people's opinions of MK64, it was and still is great. MKWii is definitely the weakest entry of the series.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
Forza Horizon? A young series no doubt, and with a school of thought that the first one is still the best, but the three games so far all qualify as great I think. I expect FH4 will too.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Well, I disagree.

Mario Kart 7 and 8 on the surface are amazing. Certainly there are a lot of great things about them that make them stand out.
But, there's something there, especially in 8,.. it's like you play the game by yourself. There's so little real character interaction.

I'm afraid I still think Super Mario Kart is the best one. The 64 one is actually pretty solid oo. It has better item mechanics. You can really feel those shells as you shoot them, or take an enormous hit by one.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think that if you count the number of games x quality, this title belongs to main line zelda, without a doubt. For me, there are 9 games and 1 that some people consider to be mediocre.

Also, mario kart 64 its sooo good, i dont understand the hate, and DD would be the best one if 8 didn't existed

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I disagree.

Mario Kart 7 and 8 on the surface are amazing. Certainly there are a lot of great things about them that make them stand out.
But, there's something there, especially in 8,.. it's like you play the game by yourself. There's so little real character interaction.

I'm afraid I still think Super Mario Kart is the best one. The 64 one is actually pretty solid oo. It has better item mechanics. You can really feel those shells as you shoot them, or take an enormous hit by one.

Last edited:

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Nah that's the Soulsborne series. There are four that all have a reasonable claim to being the best game of all time, and one mediocre one by a different director.

Not to throw shade on Mario Kart though. Mario Kart and Super Mario flagship platformers are both standards of excellence on how to do a reoccurring series.

The souls games are incredibly inconsistent. I love the series as much as the next guy but every single souls game has at least a couple bad areas. None of them maintain a high level of quality from start to finish.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
I don't know what it says about the series for me when I think MK8 deluxe is the best entry in the series and yet the one that has least engaged me. I'm no longer a fan of games that I can't have fun with unless I'm playing with other people, although MK has been consistently pretty good at that.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Mario Kart Wii and SNES are the only ones I actively avoid playing. Double Dash, 64 and 8 are God tier for local multiplayer.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
It's definitely a contender for that title. I will argue that the 2D Mario Kart games (the original and Super Circuit) play terribly by modern standards and Mario Kart 64 doesn't hold up compared to Diddy Kong Racing or Crash Team Racing (I didn't play CTR until around half a decade ago but it's arguably the best game Naughty Dog has ever made).

Mario Kart 64 is still the best.

Those must be some nice rose-tinted nostalgia glasses...

Yakuza is a great series but most entries are very derivative of one another. Mario Kart changes the formula more frequently.

The game runs like garbage, feels like garbage and looks like garbage.

By today's standards, yes. I liked it as a kid but it has not aged well in the slightest.

Series that are more consistently great than Mario Kart:
- Soulsborne
- Bayonetta
- Smash Bros

None of the franchises have even half the games MK has so it's hard to compare them.

Kongroo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
I still think that Wipeout HD, Modnation Racers and Sonic All-stars Racing outclass almost any Mario Kart game in terms of pure fun.

All the Mario Kart games have a similar feel to me. I'm over it.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I don't know what it was about MK7 but I just did not really care for the game at all despite spending dozens of hours playing single player in DS and Wii (and even a little online, which I tend to never play in games). MK8 came out and the interest was back.

Barely played SMK and MK64 as a kid and I'm not really fond of them. Never really played DD or SC.

Sky Walker

Oct 25, 2017
I would say 3D Mario series is more consistence than Mario Kart in terms of quality especially if we are talking about post-Tokyo EAD Mario games.

Apr 21, 2018
As a long time running fan of the series since the original, I have played to completion every single Mario Kart game. I would say it's absolutely been consistently great. Even the lower moments with MK64 and DD were still really fun games. Mario Kart 8/Deluxe is one of my favourite games ever.

The only one I thought was mediocre was Mario Kart Wii, which felt kind of phoned in after Double Dash. They overdid it on the weapons.

MK8 > MKDS > MK7 > DD > SMK > MK64 > MKwii > MKSC

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Souls is definitely.

5 games and the worst one (DS2) is still an 8.5/10 and way better than almost all games in the genre.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017

Indeed, those are awesome, but quite automated. Mario kart has never looked or sounded better, I'm talking more about player interaction. From the start you can beep your horn, the game shows you do so and other characters reacting, but other players don't actually see or hear this. This example sort of sums up the whole philosophy I'm talking about that Mario kart 8 operates on.

Jun 10, 2018
One of those things its not like the others

One of those things just doesn't belong

Talkin about MKWii. Because its bad

Tidalwaves

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Nah that's the Soulsborne series. There are four that all have a reasonable claim to being the best game of all time, and one mediocre one by a different director.

Not to throw shade on Mario Kart though. Mario Kart and Super Mario flagship platformers are both standards of excellence on how to do a reoccurring series.
Ah yes. All very good.
Demon souls
Dark souls
Dark souls 3
And Bloodborn

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
I love the series and don't think any of the games are bad but no game has reached the level of Mario Kart DS for me. That will forever be the pinnacle of the series. It had the best drift model which let you do some crazy things, and the online was fun as hell because of that. I'm also not a fan of the coin gimmick and I really hope they abandon that with the next installment.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think the GBA and Wii ones are my most disliked entries, though the Wii one can still be enjoyed despite it's annoying item balance and collision issues.

The GBA one controls the worst out of all the games for me. It's clearly a step below every other entry in the series.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I would also add: 3D Mario (unless 2D and 3D shouldn't be separated, and even then...), The Legend of Zelda (unless we're counting the CD-i games, which an argument could be made, I guess), Everybody's Golf, Ys (arguably, though the soundtracks are consistently great, but that's another topic), Mario Golf (hasn't been a dud or just "good" game yet), and God of War maybe?

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
It's consistently good for sure. Also consistently bringing joy to families and friends. Hell it's the game I brought to Japan and introduced it to my wife's friends. In Tokyo. The switch is amazing in this regard.

That being said, for me personally it never reached the highs like Dark Souls/Bloodborne or Nier or my flight sims.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
I can't think of another series with as many entries that's been as good, no. So I guess Mario Kart it is.

I would say 3D Mario series is more consistence than Mario Kart in terms of quality especially if we are talking about post-Tokyo EAD Mario games.
I can't tell if you also think Mario 64 didn't age well or if this is a jab at Sunshine (or both).

Surprisngly, I only agree with the former.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Series that are more consistently great than Mario Kart:
- Soulsborne
- Bayonetta
- Smash Bros
the general consensus with dark souls ii is that it's bad. it's underwhelming at best and a game that divisive can't really be considered great. even dark souls iii is criticised within the community for being too derivative

there are two bayonetta games

people still flock to melee for a reason, and that reason isn't just nostalgia

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
are there other game series as consistent as Mario kart?

It's a much newer series, but Forza Horizon has been consistently superb so far, even in its expansions, and it seems that FH4 will be another success. Even Forza Motorsport might qualify, the worst game in the series (FM5) was still pretty damn good, especially for a console launch title.

And I know that some people will object, but as someone who loved all 343i's games I have to say that to me Halo is another such series. The weakest title in the series (ODST, in my opinion) was still a top of the line shooter.