• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

N00MKRAD

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
No one knows it here but a lot of indie series are quite consistent, first one that comes to my mind is Mateusz Skutnik's Submachine series.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I agree, I can't think of a single entry that I haven't adored for the time I've played it.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Eh. The first Mario Kart I remember really enjoying was MKDS, if I'm being honest. Before that, I liked the battle mode in MK64, but I never had much use for the series otherwise.

That being said, every game since and including MKDS has been a winner, and I consider it even more essential than Smash at this point. I also recognize that the older Mario Kart games are still beloved, so I can get behind the thesis of this thread. I just think MKDS was when it crossed the threshold from "good" to "great" (and MK8 from "great" to "fucking amazing").

Lucumo

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't each Virtua Fighter considered a technical/gameplay marvel at the time of release
The Virtua Fighter series is an excellent example where each iteration was great.

All this time I thought Mario Kart Double Dash was good, recently played with friends, yeah game isn't so good after all. Mario Kart 8 on the other hand... amazing
I guess you don't like slamming each other into the side and off the road. And Baby Park was probably too much fun for you guys as well.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
Mario Kart 64 is not only the best Mario Kart, but also the best kart racer ever. But yes, the entire series is great, even the underrated entries like Super Circuit and Double Dash.

Oct 28, 2017
Lolno.

Mario Kart 8 was the first truly great Mario Kart game and the only one with remotely comparable quality to Crash Team Racing. Others ranged from shite to decent. Greatness took 8 games to achieve. One of the most overrated franchises in gaming.

Now, mainline Mario? You got an argument. Closest the series ever had to a bad game was Sunshine. Even Odyssey as disappointing as it was, is still a great game.

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People arguing against the consistent quality of a franchise spanning 25 years and even going as far as to say that Mario Kart 64 is garbage. Gamers be wylin.

Luschient

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah all this MK64 hate is mind blowing. For those who don't like this entry in the series, did you play it on an actual N64 or through emulation? I'll still play this sometimes on raspberry pi and it doesn't quite feel "right" but on an N64 it's still a blast.

Outside of the snes version, I've loved all the other MK entries. MK8 is one of the best games ever created; really hoping Nintendo throws some more DLC our way.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I'm tempted to say LoZ would be a better fit it better (if we ignore the spin off and only focus on mainline games)

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I think the 3D Mario games are consistently better but the Mario Kart franchise is definitely up there.

Have to agree with the Mario Kart 64 hate. I didn't grow up playing it so when I went back to it it was very clunky. The controls are terrible and make it very frustrating to play. Not to mention it has the worst Rainbow Road ever, what an absolute bore, Mario Kart 8 did us all a favour by making that track only one lap instead of three.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Forza? It's been incredibly consistent. Forza 5 was probably the lowest point but event that I'd put at around Double Dash/Mario Kart Wii levels of quality. Was one of the best launch games of this gen. All of the Forza games (including Motorsport and Horizon) have all been well received. They haven't made a bad game.

Also you're crazy if you say MK64 is over-rated. I bought it day one and it was fucking amazing then and it's amazing now. I probably ended up liking DKR more but still... MK64 is rad.

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
There isn't a bad Mario Kart, however going back to earlier games after playing newer shows how much has changed. Used to love MK64 as a kid, but now as it's aged bad (as many games from the N64 days did) it's not as playable anymore. Still fun when you've had a few drinks though.

fhqwhgads

Oct 28, 2017
Just cause a game ages badly or is outclassed by later games doesn't make it not consistently fun. Literally every Mario Kart game is a blast in multiplayer and whenever you got a group of people, any Mario Kart is going to keep them happy. Your enlightened hardcore gamer self can stick your nose up at MK64 but you got a buncha casuals playing that game and they're gonna have a blast. The same rings true for Smash Bros. Every Smash has amazing multiplayer regardless of how it plays, what characters or which stages. Pure fun.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
GTA? MGS? Soulsborne? All mainline entries were critically and commercially successful, including the more polarizing "black sheep" games like GTA IV, MGS4, and DS2.

Mario Kart has been consistent insofar as every entry is mildly amusing for a few minutes with friends... though for me they get fairly mind numbing and monotonous fast. Same goes for Smash, Guitar Hero, and most other "party games."

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mario Kart 64 and Mario Kart Wii were legit bad. I don't really have enough experience with SNES and GBA but they could be bad too.

DS is probably the best one, but my favorite is 8. Double Dash has the best music and aesthetics tho

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GTA? MGS? Soulsborne? All mainline entries were critically and commercially successful, including the more polarizing "black sheep" games like GTA IV, MGS4, and DS2.

Mario Kart has been consistent insofar as every entry is mildly amusing for a few minutes with friends... though for me they get fairly mind numbing and monotonous fast. Same goes for Smash, Guitar Hero, and most other "party games."
All the Mario kart games are critically and commercially successful too, so I'm not sure why you use that to argue that Dark Souls II and GTAIV are good games.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
I love Mario Kart as much as the next man but its essentially the same shit every iteration. Hard to fuck it up when you never change it.

Also Mario Kart 64 battle mode with friends was some of the most fun I've ever had gaming. Double Dash can see these nuts.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Actually Mario Kart 7 didn't have Waluigi so it's factually the worst game of all time

Dec 12, 2017
There are a few franchises that are so beloved, and are surrounded by a such a degree of fanaticism, that the top fans start to have distorted opinions about which ones are actually the best.

However, when account for mainline entries only, the following titles have astoundingly good track records

1. Metal Gear
  2. Zelda
  3. Mario
  4. Metroid

Deleted member 6137

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Numbered Final Fantasy games were like this for me from FFI to FFXII. Some, I hold in higher regards than others, but they were all good to great games at the time of their release.

Not a series in itself, but all Infinity Engine games were good to great and I can still enjoy replaying them.

While the Shin Megami Tensei series has a lot of spinoffs on top of the main series, the games are always good to great.

Last but not least, I love the Legacy of Kain series.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Mario Kart
Dragon Quest
Forza
Zelda (I don't count CDi)

And some personal ones: Legacy of Kain, Uncharted

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love Mario Kart as much as the next man but its essentially the same shit every iteration. Hard to fuck it up when you never change it.

Also Mario Kart 64 battle mode with friends was some of the most fun I've ever had gaming. Double Dash can see these nuts.

Whilst I do not love Mario Kart (only played it on the SNES) it is as you say though, pretty hard to fuck it up when it's essentially the same game every time just looks prettier. It would take something pretty special to fuck that up.

Pimienta

Oct 25, 2017
MK64 was, might still be, the goat game for local multiplayer since it existed. Only contrarians hate MK64.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
All the Mario kart games are critically and commercially successful too, so I'm not sure why you use that to argue that Dark Souls II and GTAIV are good games.
Even the seemingly polarizing games in those franchises are also great and demonstrate a consistent level of quality that matches, if not outstrips Mario Kart, which, lbr, isnt even on the same level in terms of ambition and scope. It certainly excels at what it tries to do, which isn't much imo. So I suppose I'm qualifying the "greatness" of Mario Kart more than contesting its consistency, while contending that GTA, Souls, or MGS are more consistent in quality than certain hyperbolic internet communities would have one believe.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even the seemingly polarizing games in those franchises are also great and demonstrate a consistent level of quality that matches, if not outstrips Mario Kart, which, lbr, isnt even on the same level in terms of ambition and scope. It certainly excels at what it tries to do, which isn't much imo. So I suppose I'm qualifying the "greatness" of Mario Kart more than contesting its consistency, while contending that GTA, Souls, or MGS are more consistent in quality than certain hyperbolic internet communities would have one believe.
I don't agree with OP that all the Mario Karts are great, but even Mario Kart 64 is better than Dark Souls II. Dark Souls isn't even consistently great outside of Dark Souls II, as III is simply good.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Some of the older games feel "weird" to control these days...namely the first three titles. For some reason it feels like the carts are really back-heavy for some reason.

But you're right, none of them have been outright bad.

Space Hunter

Feb 12, 2018
Before Other M, it was Metroid easily. Yes, even more consistent than Mario and Zelda.

Mario Kart also is pretty good in this regard, but it's been around for less and the basic formula is still the same, which makes it slightly less impressive in my view. Most consistently fun series? That I can get behind, although I've always enjoyed Smash more.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I think Virtua Fighter is probably the best example of this. Each one is a landmark title on all fronts and were all the absolute top of the line visually and mechanically, although VF5 initially started off a little thin before they updated it.

God, where is Virtua Fighter 6??

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
With Wii I started to get really turned off and the handheld ones never did much for me. The first is still my favorite. I realize I'm an outlier though.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
200cc Mario Kart 8 is the shit. Mario Kart 8 might as well be the best Wii U game

Mario Kart has always been great, I agree. All you need is friends. Now that it been online since the DS you don't even need friends

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Paperboy is the most consistent game franchise of all time, all versions are consistently horrible.

MK had DD that was an horrible snorefest (kinda like Mario Sunshine when you think about it)
I never touched the GBA one so I can't tell.
Otherwise form DS till now, they're on a fucking roll. Masterpieces after masterpieces.

Before Other M, it was Metroid easily. Yes, even more consistent than Mario and Zelda.
Basically, I'm no fan of Zero Mission but it's still really well made.
Now? The best we have in the last 8 years is a bad remake :/ (good game but just horrible as a remake, totally miss the point of the original game)

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd say mainline Mario, Dragon Quest, Kirby, and Pokemon are easily just as consistent. Hell, even Uncharted or Ratchet and Clank, if you are just counting mainline games and not weird mobile spinoffs or different genre spinoffs not made by Insomniac/Naughty Dog.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
I don't agree with OP that all the Mario Karts are great, but even Mario Kart 64 is better than Dark Souls II. Dark Souls isn't even consistently great outside of Dark Souls II, as III is simply good.
I loved them... not as much as DS1 or Bloodborne, sure, but i still managed to sink 100+ hours into both sequels. Meanwhile I struggle to play Mario Kart 64 for longer than 15 minutes. But hey, different strokes for different folks I guess!

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Super Mario series (platformers) are never bad and the amazing ones hit much higher notes than Mario Kart.

tVGG_21617.jpg

I concur. Not a bad game in the bunch.

ronpontelle

Oct 27, 2017
Hm... Yeah, I'm trying to think of a series I've played that compares in this regard and coming up short.

That said, while I really loved 64, Double Dash, and Wii back when they all came out, they're very hard for me to return to. I think the handling of MK7 and MK8 has spoiled me and now the past titles feel really bad in comparison.

I played a lot of DD last year, and I prefer the handling in DD. Still love 8 though!