• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
Y3N6LKa.jpg

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Superb joke, but this actually makes sense as a chart, unlike Polygon's original.
No it doesn't.... Pie charts are supposed to represent percentages or proportions. The joke is they've used a pie chart to represent data that should really be shown in bar. Those two data points do not add up to anything meaningful.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
No it doesn't.... Pie charts are supposed to represent percentages or proportions. The joke is they've used a pie chart to represent data that should really be shown in bar. Those two data points do not add up to anything meaningful.
No? Wrong.

This is representing the proportion of Wii Family console Mario Kart sales that were on Wii vs Wii U for the FY. Of 120k sales total, a small proportion were on Wii U. It's entirely logical, as 'Wii Family Mario Kart Sales' is a logical set of data of which you could show a breakdown. "120k of MK was sold on Wii Family consoles in FY2018, let's see a breakdown" makes sense.

The polygon chart was meaningless because it compared hardware sales with one title's software sales. Total sales of one software title and a console's sales do not form a meaningful set "Switch and Arms combined sold 5 million combined" is not a useful statistic.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
No? Wrong.

This is representing the proportion of Wii Family console Mario Kart sales that were on Wii vs Wii U for the FY. Of 120k sales total, a small proportion were on Wii U. It's entirely logical, as 'Wii Family Mario Kart Sales' is a logical set of data of which you could show a breakdown. "120k of MK was sold on Wii Family consoles in FY2018, let's see a breakdown" makes sense.

The polygon chart was meaningless because it compared hardware sales with one title's software sales. Total sales of one software title and a console's sales do not form a meaningful set "Switch and Arms combined sold 5 million combined" is not a useful statistic.
I have mentioned all this. What your talking about is a poor display of data. The comparison of the FY Mario Kart's sales for the Wii and the Wii U to their total added together is not meaningful data. The reason why you'd opt for a pie chart instead of a bar chart etc is if that total actually is meaningful. Which is why you end up with that polygon chart if the total is not.

You don't simply use pie charts and bar charts interchangeably.

Last edited:

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
If you were a big enough Nintendo fan to own a Wii U, you almost definitely have a Switch, and if so there's like 0 reason to get MK8 over MK8D. Not surprising.
This, I don't know any WiiU gamer without a Switch. Nintendo-fans moved on, as any other person.

Wii was big; with 100 million plus sold consoles, people are bound to see some Wii's in the wild and want to give it a try for their kids.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
No? Wrong.

Thing is, the chart does not say Wii family anywhere.
It just says MK sales in FY 2018 showing wii and wiiu, but leaving out 3DS and Switch(which account for 1.2 and 7.4 million respectively).

A chart with all the data would have looked like this:
Chartz

So in a way this chart honors the Polygon chart by being wrong, which makes the joke all the more delicious.

If you were a big enough Nintendo fan to own a Wii U, you almost definitely have a Switch, and if so there's like 0 reason to get MK8 over MK8D. Not surprising.

I mean like, unless you are one of the 5.12 Million people who owned a WiiU but didnt Buy MK8.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
I have mentioned all this. What your talking about is a poor display of data. The comparison of the FY Mario Kart's sales for the Wii and the Wii U to their total added together is not meaningful data. The reason why you'd opt for a pie chart instead of a bar chart etc is if that total actually is meaningful. Which is why you end up with that polygon chart if the total is not.

You don't simply use pie charts and bar charts interchangeably.
First of all, look at what I originally wrote:
Superb joke, but this actually makes sense as a chart, unlike Polygon's original.
I didn't say it was the best possible data to compare, or the best way to display what metrics there were. Only that it made sense. Which it does, MK8 sold 1/6 of the total of all of legacy console MK software sales. This is a clean way of showing that.

Polygon's original combined Mario Kart sales with hardware sales, when their total added together makes absolutely zero sense. 'What percentage of MK games+All Nintendo hardware combined were all Mario Kart games' is a question nobody would ever ask.

Comparing whether a bar or pie chart would be better is not a relevant point to make with what they did. Neither a bar chart OR a pie chart would make sense for it.

If the Polygon chart had total Mario Kart sales with Mario Kart 8 sales as a percentage/fraction, you could put that in a pie chart to show how small a sliver it was of the total MK sales. It would be a more easily readable way of displaying MK8's percentage of the series' total sales than a bar would be, since a bar chart would require a huge line bar and a tiny line bar on a scale built around the large total.

And just like that, the total of legacy (aka consoles currently selling software but not hardware) console Mario Kart software sales combined? That does make some sense as a metric. "What percentage of legacy console Mario Kart sales was Mario Kart Wii or Wii U in FY18" is a logical question to ask.

If shown as a bar chart, you'd probably compare just the two sales, rather than combining them. But a pie chart also has some utility, as it compares each to each other and to the total.

The total of sales between the two IS meaningful, because it puts the sales in context. The older console sold 5/6 of legacy MK sales, it's the best way to display that fact.

Thing is, the chart does not say Wii family anywhere.
It just says MK sales in FY 2018 showing wii and wiiu, but leaving out 3DS and Switch(which account for 1.2 and 7.4 million respectively).

A chart with all the data would have looked like this:
Chartz

So in a way this chart honors the Polygon chart by being wrong, which makes the joke all the more delicious.
Oh it definitely honours the original, but because it's comparing two figures that can be put into a sensibly compared, it makes some sense, so isn't as completely ridiculous as the original.

Last edited:

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
First of all, look at what I originally wrote:
I didn't say it was the best possible data to compare, or the best way to display what metrics there were. Only that it made sense. Which it does, MK8 sold 1/6 of the total of all of legacy console MK software sales. This is a clean way of showing that.

Polygon's original combined Mario Kart sales with hardware sales, when their total added together makes absolutely zero sense. 'What percentage of MK games+All Nintendo hardware combined were all Mario Kart games' is a question nobody would ever ask.

Comparing whether a bar or pie chart would be better is not a relevant point to make with what they did. Neither a bar chart OR a pie chart would make sense for it.

If the Polygon chart had total Mario Kart sales with Mario Kart 8 sales as a percentage/fraction, you could put that in a pie chart to show how small a sliver it was of the total MK sales. It would be a more easily readable way of displaying MK8's percentage of the series' total sales than a bar would be, since a bar chart would require a huge line bar and a tiny line bar on a scale built around the large total.

And just like that, the total of legacy (aka consoles currently selling software but not hardware) console Mario Kart software sales combined? That does make some sense as a metric. "What percentage of legacy console Mario Kart sales was Mario Kart Wii or Wii U in FY18" is a logical question to ask.

If shown as a bar chart, you'd probably compare just the two sales, rather than combining them. But a pie chart also has some utility, as it compares each to each other and to the total.

The total of sales between the two IS meaningful, because it puts the sales in context. The older console sold 5/6 of legacy MK sales, it's the best way to display that fact.

Oh it definitely honours the original, but because it's comparing two figures that can be put into a sensibly compared, it makes some sense, so isn't as completely ridiculous as the original.
Yes my retort is that it doesn't make sense as chart in the place as the initial problem with Polygon's chart was two fold, one that what it was comparing made made absolutely no sense and two how they were comparing it made absolutely no sense as any competent high school teacher would have pointed out that you shouldn't use a pie chart to show such data.

It's funny because whoever made it had absolutely no idea about how to correctly display data on a chart and was awful from every single way possible. it was actually impressive.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Wii U is truly and completely dead.
The Switch was a complete reboot company-wide and it shows, with all the re-releases and updated ports.

Theory: Wii U and Switch are actually the same console. The Switch was just the mid gen revision with exclusive games that everyone on gaming forums wants so much.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see how this is surprising. There's a 100 million Wiis out there, and lots of them (a majority?) were purchased by casual/"non"-gamers. Some of them are bound to pick up the most popular game aside from Wii Sports, no matter how far into the future. They might even re-buy if the old disc broke or got lost.

Meanwhile, The 13 million Wii U's were bought only by hardcore Nintendo fans, so those who wanted Mario Kart have already bought it long ago, and then moved on to Switch.

I'm surprised the difference isn't bigger.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Haha, this is great.

It's not crazy that people are still playing Mario Kart Wii in 2018, it's crazy that people are still buying it.

Mario Kart Wii wasn't replaced by MK8 and it's still a really great game, so when you're done with MK8 but want to play more Mario Kart, MK Wii is a great option.

Don't forget, there are over 100 million Wii systems in the world. At least some of those will get sold or passed on to new owners, and not all of those 100 million own MK Wii yet, just 37.2 million.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm just wondering how there are still HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of unsold copies of Mario Kart Wii at this point. You'd think they'd have stopped manufacturing discs a long time ago...

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just wondering how there are still HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of unsold copies of Mario Kart Wii at this point. You'd think they'd have stopped manufacturing discs a long time ago...
Wii games can probably be made in the same factory as any DVD. As long as retailers keep ordering, they don't have any reason to stop manufacturing.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
I always figured I would pick up a copy at some point because I always just played my friends copy, but the fact that new copies are still being produced kind of blows my mind.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I always figured I would pick up a copy at some point because I always just played my friends copy, but the fact that new copies are still being produced kind of blows my mind.

This is the great thing about discs and optical media, they're really easy and cheap to produce and don't require any specialized technology that might become outdated for lots of reasons. So you can just keep making them if there's enough demand.

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
Last year, MK8 sold like a billionmajillion times more than MKDS, even though the DS has 140M more systems sold. Just look:

Nintendo DS hardware = 154.02M
Mario Kart DS - March '18 = 23.60M
Mario Kart DS - March '19 = 23.60M

Wii U hardware = 13.56M
Mario Kart 8 - March '18 = 8.42M
Mario Kart 8 - March '19 = 8.44M

The DS truly was Nintendo's biggest mistake ever.

My breath is Polygone.

Also what about Mario Kart 8DX sales in that timeframe ?
A piddly 7.47M. Not even enough to pie chart.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
This is the great thing about discs and optical media, they're really easy and cheap to produce and don't require any specialized technology that might become outdated for lots of reasons. So you can just keep making them if there's enough demand.

Very good points haha. Makes me want to learn about the inner workings of how this all gets put together now. Like do they have the files for the cover art on hand and just set the machine to print those? Do they make the Wii cases themselves or do they come from a different place entirely? I need a how it's made video game episode now please.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Well yeah put out a great game in the middle of a huge fad and it's going to sell boat loads.

What is this suppose to say other than that?

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As impressive as MK Wii selling 100k in a year, that's been the case for a while now. I would say it's more surprising that there were 20,000 consumers that bought MK8 on Wii U last year.

robjoh

Oct 31, 2017
The Wii was a fad. Mk8 is a great game.
There is a lot of Wii's out there.

mk8 was replaced with the switch version.

Was it really a fad if people still are buying games for it? Or was the problem with Wii:s collapse that Nintendo abandoned the userbase? Heck UbiSoft is still making Just Dance for the machine. There is obvious people that still like the machine.

PotionBleue

Nov 1, 2017

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
According to the other thread, this means Nintendo shouldn't have released MK8 or MK7 because MK Wii continued to sell for a long time though.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/wh...ario-kart-ultimate-announcement-at-e3.114083/

The logic against the existence of a MK9 this gen in that thread was "Well because MK8 is still selling" which is ridiculous, because MK games traditionally always have long sales tales, but it was hand waved away as being different.

The data has determined, that is a lie.

We will get a MK9 this gen for the same reasons we get one every gen. And MK8D will probably have a long tail and still sell regardless, just like MKWii. Just because 8 sells doesnt mean they shouldn't make a new one. Thats never ever been the case before. I don't understand why its expected that it would magically be the case now. MKWii sold over 30 million and is still moving units. We wouldnt have gotten 8 at all if this logic was consistent.

Last edited:

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
The people have spoken, and they have declared their love for Koopa Cape. And who am I to deny the people what they love?
--
48897.jpg