• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeahhhh this game definitely gets real dark. Two specific parts I can think of. Do not drop it over 'rainbows'.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
Yeah well my word of advice is that this game isnt for everyone. Huge fan of the Arkham games but this just didnt do it for me. Too many rainbows and not enough darkness, but its a well crafted game. Just couldnt get into the combat or the story, so im backing out about 8hrs in. It's a shame.

I don't think you even finished Act 1.

Also, this is a Spider-Man story, they're hardly dark, if anything they're very emotional.

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
So what exactly am I supposed to do against fat guys? Do you unlock something later and dying eighty times is like the game's subtle hint that you're not supposed to fight them yet? And if so, why are they everywhere right from the start?
As others have said, web them up and then thrown them. Alternatively, if you don't have Wrecking Ball yet, you can web them, hit them until you knock them over then web them when they're on the ground. Both effectively do the same thing. Also, you can burn two focus meters to do a takedown on them immediately.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
I think the challenges have kinda soured the game for me in a weird way. Like, i was having so much fun with the game, i don't normally carry on playing stuff after i finish the story but i was excited to carry on and unlock all the different suits and stuff... but these challenges are stupidly hard, to the point I'll never get enough tokens no matter what i do. Such a shame as I thought the difficulty was great overall, ramped up well going in to act 3 and i never felt frustrated until now. :(
The game lets you platinum it without getting all the gear and gold. \

Combat challenges, use web blossom and spider-bro and make sure you are level 50
Drone challenges, skip the orbs if you miss them
Stealth, remember that webmines are insta kill and the game is extremely generous with stealth

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Getting Silver is doable. You can also easily cheese the Combat ones with a Suit Power and gadgets.

I think the combat ones i'll be able to get silver one at least, everything else though I'm barely scraping bronze ha.
Ah well, guess it'll sit at 90% completion or whatever.

Redfox088

Banned
May 31, 2018

Combat challenges, use web blossom and spider-bro and make sure you are level 50
Stealth, remember that webmines are insta kill and the game is extremely generous with stealth
Was good cousin? We still got that bet on right?

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I think the combat ones i'll be able to get silver one at least, everything else though I'm barely scraping bronze ha.

Do them post-campaign after you have all skills unlocked. Makes it much easier. I was struggling with them at first too.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
This game seems to take the comic canon into consideration with some changes to existing characters. It's its own thing. In fact Marvel is planning to do a comic series based on this game's universe.

If you want to watch some movies, just watch Homecoming altho they're not connected at all.

It's not really connected to any existing Spider-man aside from the familiar characters showing their faces (although in different roles).

Homecoming is the only one past Tobey Maguire ones that you should watch.

The game is a new story effectively in a new universe which explains the starting position of most of the principal characters for example MJ being a reporter instead of a model/club owner/actress, etc. It seems Peter has been Spider-Man for at least 8 years based on some very early dialog. Also, it appears Peter is relatively fresh out of college which would further back that up.
Collectible Spoilers
Based on collectibles and the news clippings he's met most of his Rogue's Gallery at this point including Mysterio, Shocker, the Lizard, the Sandman, Vulture, Scorpion, Rhino, Kingpin, etc

As for the movies, the first two Raimi movies are fantastic, the third is watchable but a huge step down from Spider-Man 2. The first Andrew Garfield movie is good if you're not too hung up on comic --> movie changes. The second one is bad and I'd skip it. Homecoming is awesome and fits right in the MCU and has one of the MCU's best villain moments.

Thanks! Seems like I'm going to watch Homecoming very soon :)

Tunahead

Oct 30, 2017
You're seriously supposed to just impact web the fat guys?

In that case I retract my earlier statement.

I do know what I'm supposed to do against fat guys. I just don't like it. I impact web a fat guy and then punch him once, which is about as many times as I can manage while all these are other clowns are attacking me, and then he breaks free, and I now have less impact web than when I started. Even if I could get more hits in, it takes at least three full combos to down a fat guy. There's not enough impact web in all the world for this nonsense.

Also, sometimes there are two fat guys. What exactly am I supposed to do about that? Why am I being attacked by fat guys right from the start of the game when apparently most of the stuff that's helpful against fat guys is only available later? Why is it that Spider-Man is easily defeated by type 2 diabetes? What is this? I realize that sometimes a superhero story can explore a very different interpretation of the same superhero, but in this very same game you catch cars flying at you with your bare hands, and can divebomb the pavement from the roof of a skyscraper without sustaining even the smallest of injuries. Is this some kind of elaborate practical joke?

I'm starting to think Marvel's® Spider-Man™ might not be an entirely well designed video game.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Completed it last Sunday and have been pottering around with it for the last week. I'm going to put it down now having got to 90% completion and with Torna coming out tomorrow.

It's a great game. The characters, story, main missions and traversal are excellent. But once you've powered through the campaign, the side stuff is just naff.

It's cookie-cutter, by-the-books nonsense. Side missions are too short, lack any complexity and offer little except yet more fights with the same old goons.

The side mission set in motion during the main campaign gave me hope - not that it was particularly inspired but at least it featured a real villain, but the rest are busy work.

Catching pigeons? Tailing bag guys? It's just not fun.

I'm sounding super negative, but I have loved my time with it. Spider-Man is my favourite superhero and he's finally got a great game to call his own.

I just hope Insomniac get a bit more creative with the side content next time.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017

You don't have to actually craft the suits to get that trophy?
I don't think i'll be able to plat it anyway because i can't get over bronze on the drone challenges.
The pigeon stuff is really frustrating too haha, such a poor spider-man when he says "how can i fail at catching pigeons?!"

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15

I do know what I'm supposed to do against fat guys. I just don't like it. I impact web a fat guy and then punch him once, which is about as many times as I can manage while all these are other clowns are attacking me, and then he breaks free, and I now have less impact web than when I started. Even if I could get more hits in, it takes at least three full combos to down a fat guy. There's not enough impact web in all the world for this nonsense.

Also, sometimes there are two fat guys. What exactly am I supposed to do about that? Why am I being attacked by fat guys right from the start of the game when apparently most of the stuff that's helpful against fat guys is only available later? Why is it that Spider-Man is easily defeated by type 2 diabetes? What is this? I realize that sometimes a superhero story can explore a very different interpretation of the same superhero, but in this very same game you catch cars flying at you with your bare hands, and can divebomb the pavement from the roof of a skyscraper without sustaining even the smallest of injuries. Is this some kind of elaborate practical joke?

I'm starting to think Marvel's® Spider-Man™ might not be an entirely well designed video game.

Like I said you can web them and throw them with a skill you can get early on to instant KO them.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I mean, it's not well designed because you can't deal with the enemies? Many people here have platinumed it without too much trouble, maybe you're just approaching it from the wrong angle.
You don't need to use Impact Webs, but they're pretty quick to use (and you have them from the start). You can web them with your regular webs, or use other gadgets to "block" them so that you can attack them freely.

ckareset

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
You don't have to actually craft the suits to get that trophy?
I don't think i'll be able to plat it anyway because i can't get over bronze on the drone challenges.
The pigeon stuff is really frustrating too haha, such a poor spider-man when he says "how can i fail at catching pigeons?!"
You need the suits, not the mods or gadgets. So save your tokens. Also there is a suit mod that allow you to get hit and save your combo despite getting hit

LiK

Oct 25, 2017

You can use any webbing (even the normal one) and later you unlock other gadgets and skills that also fuck them up. Just dodge their attacks and web them up. They're not too tough.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017

Web the fat guys in any way you can whether it's by hitting them repeatedly with regular webshooters, hit them with an impact web, use a web bomb on them, or unlock the perfect dodge ability which webs up enemies momentarily after you dodge one of their attacks with the right timing. Basically, web them by any means possible. Alternatively you can throw objects at them.

ckareset

Banned
Feb 2, 2018

You're not suppose to impact web them. You wont have enough to spam those. You can use your regular web shooters and stop them also remember that you can web enemies to the ground including fat guys to stop them from getting back up if your hits arent string enough. Also throwables get enemies away from you.

Also what's with the mentality because your not good at something it's poorly designed lol.

Sober

Oct 25, 2017

Kingpin is basically a tutorial on taking on brutes (fat guys). Just web them up by spamming web shooters on them then attacking.

Do attack+dodge to slip behind them then follow up, as back attacks do more damage. Dodge and jump into the area if you need to make room. You can also web them up/shoot web shooters in mid air.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Completed it last Sunday and have been pottering around with it for the last week. I'm going to put it down now having got to 90% completion and with Torna coming out tomorrow.

It's a great game. The characters, story, main missions and traversal are excellent. But once you've powered through the campaign, the side stuff is just naff.

It's cookie-cutter, by-the-books nonsense. Side missions are too short, lack any complexity and offer little except yet more fights with the same old goons.

The side mission set in motion during the main campaign gave me hope - not that it was particularly inspired but at least it featured a real villain, but the rest are busy work.

Catching pigeons? Tailing bag guys? It's just not fun.

I'm sounding super negative, but I have loved my time with it. Spider-Man is my favourite superhero and he's finally got a great game to call his own.

I just hope Insomniac get a bit more creative with the side content next time.

then again we need to remember that the target audience aren't just players who've been playing games for 25 years like we do. there totally are kids and early teens playing this game and enjoying those kinds of stuff.

DukeBobby

Oct 25, 2017

For the stealth challenges, it's all about speed. Play them a couple of times to memorise the enemy layout and then try and do them as quickly as possible. Don't bother with distracting enemies as that wastes time. If you see two enemies together, use trip mines.

For the drone challenges, focus on flying through the blue circles rather than trying to keep up with the drone. You should get a silver if you fly through them all, even if you catch the drone with only a second to spare. Don't go back if you miss one, though.

The bomb challenges are a bit trickier, especially as it's easy to swing into a building and get stuck on it for a few seconds. It took me a few tries to get more than a bronze on some of those. Remember to dive or use the ground strike when you are over the bombs, so you don't accidentally swing past then.

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can think of 5 scenes at least.
You right, more keep popping in my head lol. Initially I was thinking *heavy spoilers, DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU'VE BEATEN GAME*
The bombing and the disease spreading. But then you've got Aunt May, Li experiment.... yeah this game gets real dark lol

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017

The Fisk fight is supposed to be a tutorial on how to deal with the big guys when stealth isn't an option. You have 4 options available from very early on
1) Web Shooters + punch combo: Time consuming but it does get the job done
2) Impact Webbing: instantly ties up the guy allowing you to focus on other threats, or just beat on him until he breaks free
3) Environmental damage: Throw something at them
4) Suit powers: Web Blossom works a treat at reducing the number of baddies you need to deal with and will tie up the big guys too. With 2 focus bars you can use the Focus Boost suit power to do an instant takedown too.

Later on you get additional gadgets and abilities that will trivialize the encounters like the oft mentioned wrecking ball upgrade.

If you're still having trouble try thinning numbers via aerial combat so you only have to deal with the big guys. They're supposed to be a real threat but all their attacks are heavily telegraphed and the Spidey Sense should tell you when to get out of Dodge.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Also, regarding fighting the fat guys, impact webbing or web bombs near a wall will usually get them insta-stuck to the wall

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
For people having trouble: just make sure to upgrade your regular web shooters (and other gadgets) asap. Faster refill and a bigger stock are very useful. I also never unequipped the suit mod that reduces bullet damage.

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
If I get Silver on most challenges Ill have enough tokens for suit and upgrades? Really not in the mood to try gold

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For people having trouble: just make sure to upgrade your regular web shooters (and other gadgets) asap. Faster refill and a bigger stock are very useful. I also never unequipped the suit mod that reduces bullet damage.

Though be careful on that if you want to unlock all costumes and don't want to get gold or silver on all the challenges.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
If I get Silver on most challenges Ill have enough tokens for suit and upgrades? Really not in the mood to try gold
No, you need to gold everything to get enough tokens for all suits AND all upgrades. If you're only interested in the trophy you'll need to save scum if you want to get the platinum with only silvers in the challenges

Method: save challenge tokens until all costumes are available for purchase (must beat the game iirc), make a manual save, buy all costumes, trophy pops, reload manual save, use tokenn to buy whatever. There's only a trophy for all costumes not all gadgets and upgrades there.

Jokegeta

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yea I was actually surprised at how dark some scenes got. After one scene i literally had to check the game box again to make sure it wasn't rated M, because what was happening was some stuff rated M games do. Sheesh.

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
No, you need to gold everything to get enough tokens for all suits AND all upgrades. If you're only interested in the trophy you'll need to save scum if you want to get the platinum with only silvers in the challenges

Method: save challenge tokens until all costumes are available for purchase (must beat the game iirc), make a manual save, buy all costumes, trophy pops, reload manual save, use tokenn to buy whatever. There's only a trophy for all costumes not all gadgets and upgrades there.
I actually don´t care about gadgets and upgrades that much, so good to know.
Finished the game yesterday now doing clean up for the platinium

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

You don't have to use impact webbing, I never do, normal webbing works fine if you just tap it multiple times. Also, the big guys become cake if you get distance, they are slow getting to you. Web away, turn, web them up, hit triangle to strike them, punch alot, repeat. OR you could just web them up near a wall and then punch then when you web them again they will stick to the wall.

They are a lot to handle at first, but once you get a hang of the mechanics they are teddy bears.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't know what to do with my life now I've completely 100%ed the game with the Platinum.

Easily the most fun game I've ever played and probably my favourite ever. Of course it has flaws but as an overall package definitely my game of the generation so far.

If Insomniac can fix the issues this had for the sequel then they'll probably have the greatest game ever made on their hands.

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
You'll be fine, just don't upgrade gadgets with challenge tokens, only craft the gadget and move on, you won't need more than that.

I hate challenges every game so imagine that I did my best to get an easy way to the platinum.
Same, I´m so glad I really don´t need them for the platinium. I usually don´t even care about trophy hunt, but this game is special

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017

You have a variety of ways to fight the brutes, actually. You just might not notice it at the start. You can use their allies against them with a web throw, attack them from behind after a slide, use gadgets to render them vulnerable, throw projectiles, web swing kick, and probably some others I'm forgetting. If you've got the Iron Spider suit (one of the pre-order early unlocks) then you can also use its Suit Power, Iron Legs, to easily damage them without doing anything else. No webs whatsoever needed, just the Iron Legs. There's also the Web Blossom from the Classic Suit, which is the first suit you can purchase after the Advanced Suit.

ckareset

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
I think allowing platinum without doing everything is so strange. I've never platinumed another game, is this the usual?