• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
"The gunman was down as the police went in"

"We don't know who shot the officer who entered"

"We don't know who shot who"

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, you don't talk about that stuff, respect his testimony and just present it for what it is, any additional commentary is unnecessary
In the UK any outlet or journalist who doesn't do the bolded is immediately disciplined and probably fired

Like it's literally illegal to speculate in some ways/circumstances

cjbenny

Oct 29, 2017
I wish I could say I'm not getting desensitized each time I hear of a mass shooting but... sigh. Praying for all the victims and their loved ones.

cebri

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How easy is to get a gun in CA? Can't states pass legislation introduce additional checks for gun owners?

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
Thousand Oaks? That's not too far from where I am. Also not the type of place you would expect this kind of shit to happen. FUCK.

Based0ne

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Seeing stuff like this go down always freaks me out, especially since I'm going to an event next week over in NYC.

RIP victims :(

Nick C

Oct 25, 2017
MT
Guy who was in the shooting? If so Cut him a break he just survived a traumatic event.
The sheriff, dog. The number of injured jumped from 10-12 to 10-15 in less than a minute during his speech. His retelling made it sound like the suspect shot the deputy when he entered the bar and then later went on to say that the suspect was dead when they got there.

I'm going to return to this a little later on in hopes that a clearer picture of what transpired is available.

Edit:
Least we know it isn't mental health.

This is another thing. Only one person I've seen interviewed has said that the suspect was of middle eastern descent. Sherriff said that it isn't known whether or not its terror-related but then repeated that the suspect must have been mentally ill.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
The sheriff, dog. The number of injured jumped from 10-12 to 10-15 in less than a minute during his speech. His retelling made it sound like the suspect shot the deputy when he entered the bar and then later went on to say that the suspect was dead when they got there.

I'm going to return to this a little later on in hopes that a clearer picture of what transpired is available.
I'm sure he has a lot on his plate, probably doesn't deal with situations like this regularly, again cut them some slack.

Downhome

Oct 27, 2017
I'm watching a loca news station and the anchor sound out on air that his Goddaugheter is safe. A very emotional moment.

Nick C

Oct 25, 2017
MT
I'm sure he has a lot on his plate, probably doesn't deal with situations like this regularly, again cut them some slack.
He should also have his story straight when giving it to the press. What he says is the official situation for the time being. The point of a press conference is to diispel misinformation, not feed into it. You don't increaase the number of injured on a whim.

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ. Is it becoming that much of a common occurrence that they don't even even give it priority on the news any more.

Fucking ban firearms to civilians already, none of your bullshit excuses. Fucking hell.

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It scares the hell out of me that I am raising a family in this shithole of a country and can't do anything to change that.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It scares the hell out of me that I am raising a family in this shithole of a country and can't do anything to change that.
American passport is one of the most powerful. You can change your location pretty easily assuming you and your family don't have some debilitating disease or something.

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus Christ. Is it becoming that much of a common occurrence that they don't even even give it priority on the news any more.

Sad to say but it's true eh. Before there used to be a couple of days of follow up, but now the coverage ends the following day (unless local Im sure).

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Fucking ban firearms to civilians already, none of your bullshit excuses. Fucking hell.

It's the lead on every morning news show here on the east coast.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
I really wish they would just take guns away from civilians already. This is just disgusting. I live in NorCal and every time there's mentions of package thieves or anything similar on the NextDoor app, there's always a bunch of people talking about how they'd gladly shoot them if it happened to them. So many neighbors with guns that claim they are fine mentally and talking about how they'd shoot people like it's nothing.

Oct 26, 2017
:( It's a damn shame that as a country we've allowed this to become the new normal.

Does anyone know yet what weapon he used? I've seen it mentioned in any of the articles I've read.

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
Nowhere is safe sadly. Now waiting for the cowards politicians to send their thoughts and prayers.

libregkd

Oct 25, 2017
It's not even just the hunters. Culturally, the US is beyond the point of where a ban is possible, at least for the forseeable future. That being said, things like universal background checks, closing trade show loopholes and mandatory waiting periods are suported by the majority of those polled. It's a bipartisan issue.

Special interests gonna special interest tho.
Keep in mind that California has done all of these. Any firearm purchase has to be through a licensed dealer who then submits an application to the state's DOJ to do a background check. If approved, the person buying the gun has to wait 10 days before picking up their firearm. If 30 days pass before the person picks up their gun, the firearms dealer has to submit another background check and the purchaser has to wait another 10 days to pick up their gun. State law also states that for private sales of guns, they have to do the purchase/transfer through a licensed dealer and go through the same process (submit an application to the DOJ and a 10 day waiting period).

California also requires anyone who is purchasing a handgun to pass a written safety test as well as demonstrate that they can safely handle a handgun (which they have to retake every 5 years). They also have an assault weapons ban and bans on selling any magazine with more than 10 rounds as well.

But all the effectiveness is dampened when you have neighboring states that are super lax with their gun laws that you can just take across state borders. Like Nevada, for example.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I really wish they would just take guns away from civilians already. This is just disgusting. I live in NorCal and every time there's mentions of package thieves or anything similar on the NextDoor app, there's always a bunch of people talking about how they'd gladly shoot them if it happened to them. So many neighbors with guns that claim they are fine mentally and talking about how they'd shoot people like it's nothing.

I was robbed a few weeks ago. My neighbors were robbed as well at the same and again last night. I mentioned this in a thread of mine over on the gaming side. Some folks ITT said I should consider arming myself.

Hell...it even crossed my mind for a moment too. But I won't. I refuse. I'm not going to live like that. Guns terrify me. Plus, here in New Jersey, it's pretty hard to get a gun, especially if the reason is self defense.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Someone brought this up at work when I walked in this morning, three other people chimed in "thank god I have my gun". That right there is the main issue.

Dhuggs_

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I woke up to the CBS special report on my TV and I couldn't help but just shake my head and go, "What a shame" and just got ready for work. It just seems like such a common occurrence now that I'm just numb to it.