• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
MATT BOOTY SAYS MICROSOFT WILL AIM TO GROW ITS PORTFOLIO "AS [GAME PASS] GROWS"
www.videogameschronicle.com

Xbox says it will continue to buy studios and wants to release games ‘every quarter’ | VGC

Matt Booty says Microsoft will aim to grow its portfolio “as [Game Pass] grows”…
The head of Xbox Game Studios has said the platform holder is continuing to search for developers to purchase, as it targets releasing a first-party game "every quarter" going forwards.

Speaking as part of a briefing to media and analysts this week, Matt Booty confirmed that "we will continue to look for studios that can add great people, great teams, great new ideas to our lineup."
Booty said that like any streaming service, Game Pass will need a consistent flow of new content going forwards, and that Microsoft will aim to grow its portfolio "as our service grows."
"First and foremost, we are committed to building a diverse collection of studios that deliver a predictable pipeline of high-quality games.

"We're committed to creating games that generate excitement, anticipation, and engagement with our fans, and we're doing that in a few ways.
"Second, we are growing our studios organisation through acquisition. We use a filter of 'people, teams and ideas' to keep us disciplined. People that we have relationships with, teams who have delivered games through both success and have seen some adversity, and studios that have a proven track record of new ideas.
"Finally, we work with independent studios to bring first-party exclusives to Xbox. Games like Ori and the Will of the Wisps from Moon Studios and Tell Me Why from
Dontnod."

In terms of Microsoft's overall line, which includes Bethesda releases, Booty said he wants to "get to a point of releasing a new game every quarter."
He said: "Games take up to four or five years to make, and the reality is that not every project we start will make it to launch. But if you add all that up, that's how we've gotten to our state today, with two dozen studios making games across a variety of genres.

"And we know that a thriving entertainment service needs a consistent and exciting flow of new content. So our portfolio will continue to grow as our service grows."

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
"First and foremost, we are committed to building a diverse collection of studios that deliver a predictable pipeline of high-quality games.

"We're committed to creating games that generate excitement, anticipation, and engagement with our fans, and we're doing that in a few ways.

"First, we continue to invest in the studios behind our tentpole franchises," he said, referencing Halo from 343, Forza from Turn 10 and Sea of Thieves from Rare.

"Second, we are growing our studios organisation through acquisition. We use a filter of 'people, teams and ideas' to keep us disciplined. People that we have relationships with, teams who have delivered games through both success and have seen some adversity, and studios that have a proven track record of new ideas.

"The support that we get from the company has enabled us to acquire smaller studios like Tim Schaefer's Double Fine, mid-size studios like Obsidian, and of course, industry giants like Bethesda," he added.

"Finally, we work with independent studios to bring first-party exclusives to Xbox. Games like Ori and the Will of the Wisps from Moon Studios and Tell Me Why from Dontnod."

"And we know that a thriving entertainment service needs a consistent and exciting flow of new content. So our portfolio will continue to grow as our service grows."

www.videogameschronicle.com

Xbox says it will continue to buy studios and wants to release games ‘every quarter’ | VGC

Matt Booty says Microsoft will aim to grow its portfolio “as [Game Pass] grows”…

Huggie

Oct 22, 2018
This is all looking like a new studio or more will be announced at their show on Sunday!

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
I hope one of these high quality games besides Halo will be shown at E3 and maybe release in 2021. Until these games reach the consumer all of this is lip service.

Paragon

May 5, 2018
Game Pass continues to be an incredible service, corporate acquisitions continue to be incredibly lame.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know some folks don't like the idea of Microsoft buying studios and then those games not coming out on PlayStation, but as long as those titles continue to release on PC I don't really care. If Microsoft is able to better support these dev teams with more funding and fewer deadlines, that can only be a good thing and if they're using the ridiculous amount of money they're getting from Game Pass to do it, I'm all for that.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Xbox the superhero of videogames.

Saving studios by buying them out like Bethesda. We are so lucky.

Nov 21, 2017
More games on Game Pass is good, but I hope that doesn't mean more Xbox exclusives.

Also, Matt Booty sounds like someone tried to make a regular name from a teenager's 360 gamertag, like "xXMAD_B00TYXx"

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
makes sense for them to invest in their service.

Dontnod and Moon Studios are "first party"?
a game doesn't have to be developed by a first party studio to be a first party game. ori and tell me why are 1st party games developed by 3rd party studios. same way smash, kirby and fire emblem are first party nintendo games despite nintendo not owning the developers.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Acquisitions aren't inherently bad but I can't say I'm enthused about them either.

Giant Panda

Oct 25, 2017
Over the next few years the gaming industry is going to become more and more about subscription offerings. Microsoft is already leading the way, and I have a feeling other publishers are going to need to increase their frequency of releases if they will want to compete. The biggest publishers will want to have their own services instead of being forced to license their games to other company's services. Interesting times.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Why do people want MS to buy Sega so badly lol Sega pops up in every acquisition thread.

Karate Kid

Banned
Jan 29, 2018
Get fucked. Build your own studios.

300px-Creating_Bugs_Bunny%27s_%22No%22.jpg

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
Some folks comment as if Microsoft forced those studios to become first party and not that they came into an agreement.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Don't like this at all, but Microsoft have infinite money and can do whatever they want.